FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > A FRANCE 17 TO GIVE ENGLAND A GAME???
37 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach14082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9857_1341488583.jpg
WEST COAST PIRATES NRL expansion? Sometime soon, maybe......:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9857.jpg

Quote: Bovrick "Indeed, I also expect a full team to come through a single academy in a few years that is as good as that coming through over ten times as many academies from the much more established opposition.

Seriously? I really do wonder if the sheer impatience and pessimism is some sort of RL in-joke that I've never come across or something.'"

Agreed, but you would also have to question if France are any closer to the other three top nations than they were pre catalans? Maybe they just haven't fallen further behind?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1419No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41801_1347868969.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_41801.png

Quote: JB Down Under "Agreed, but you would also have to question if France are any closer to the other three top nations than they were pre catalans? Maybe they just haven't fallen further behind?'"

I think this is it. RL is still exploding in Australia and New Zealand, and even England are getting back on track now imo. For France to not lose ground is a strong achievement in my eyes, if they gained that would be brilliant. But it is going to be a slow process, but a worthwhile long term aim nonetheless.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3829
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18686.jpg
In Springfield, they're eating the dogs, the people that came in. They're eating the cats! They're eating the pets!:18686.jpg

Quote: Bovrick "Indeed, I also expect a full team to come through a single academy in a few years that is as good as that coming through over ten times as many academies from the much more established opposition.

Seriously? I really do wonder if the sheer impatience and pessimism is some sort of RL in-joke that I've never come across or something.'"

The French are no nearer now than when Catalan entered the competition & with their involvement in SL, they never will be.

So, do you think it’s impatient of me to wait Forty years for a series victory over the Aussies?

That’s what I want to see & the French experiment is not the answer to our inability to live with the Aussies.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6268No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2015Jul 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I think you've missed the point totally. Catalan was a stimulus for the re-emergence of the game in France and although it's never going to be a national sport, France, once again is heading in the right direction

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: The Devil's Advocate "The French are no nearer now than when Catalan entered the competition & with their involvement in SL, they never will be.

So, do you think it’s impatient of me to wait Forty years for a series victory over the Aussies?

That’s what I want to see & the French experiment is not the answer to our inability to live with the Aussies.'"

Maybe not impatient, but it's daft and a bit stupid, a trait too often displayed by RL fans, to decry a system or plan as not working and not worthwhile if it doesn't produce amazing, huge, game-changing, earth-shattering results within a couple of years.
This is Catalans 7th season in SL, less than that with an academy structure. Why would anyone assume that just one club could produce an entire national team capable of beating its bigger rival within just a few years? When England can't do it with ten times more teams with over a hundred years experience.

We are reaping the seeds sown 15/20/25 years ago by selfish and short sighted clubs and administrators. The lack of long term planning in the past is the reason why clubs are going bust now, the league isn't as strong as it should be, the amateur game is poorly run and poorly coached, the England team can't beat Australia, and no-one south of Sheffield or north of York (except Cumbria) has heard of rugby league.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9426
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
42169_1366443727.jpg
Chorlton RL wrote- "Jonny, for me you hold the mantle of most sensible poster on the VT" ............................................................................................................................................... Yed wrote: "He's like a Kevin Penny on steroids except he's good too" ............................................................................................................................................... "What? What have I said now?" - Starbug 2013 ...............................................................................................................................................:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_42169.jpg

I think it will take a few more years until the success of Catalans rubs off on the national team. There are more kids playing at junior level every year in France, the game was dead ten years ago there, now it's looking to expand and progress.

The French Catalans players are basically the best from what was left from the bad days in France. Some of the younger Catalans players like Eloi Pelissier, Julian Bousquet, Jason Baitieri & William Barthau are just starting to get into the Catalan team. I think Baitieri is top class already, and Pelissier & Barthau will be when they mature a little more.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6268No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2015Jul 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Baitieri is from Sydney Roosters thats why (or someone like that). Hes not really a french product

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6809
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18302_1567366773.png
[b:1crbsr9w] Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021! Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022! [/b:1crbsr9w]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18302.png

Quote: leek123 "This french team looks pretty strong.With the game been played in france and france having 1 or 2 warm up games before hand with this team would be a good contest.

1 cyril stacul -catalan
2 dimitri pelo-canberra
3 jp baile-catalan
4 d peyreoux- gold coast titans
5 v duport-catalan
6 d chisholm-wests tigers
7 t bosc-catalan
8 d ferriol - catalan
9 j rinaldi -london
10-r casty - catalan
11 g mounis- catalan
12 o elima- bulls
13 j baitieri-catalan

-------------

14 e pelissier- catalan
15 j fakir - catalan
16 m simon- catalan
17 s raguin- catalan'"

Your team is not the best possible. You don't need 2nd rate Aussies like Chisolm. There are enough good French players.

Greenshields will return to Australia and will not play for France again.

Quote: leek123 "Baitieri is from Sydney Roosters thats why (or someone like that). Hes not really a french product'"

Quote: leek123 ". Some of the younger Catalans players like Eloi Pelissier, Julian Bousquet, Jason Baitieri & William Barthau are just starting to get into the Catalan team.'"

Baiteiri --- a Catalans regular, not "just starting to get into the Catalans team" --- [iis French born and speaks French[/i, so he is very qualified.

The best French team at this moment isStacul

Vaccari, Duport, Baile, Cardace

Bosc
Barthau

Baiteiri
Elima, Mounis
Casty, Pelissier, Simon

InterchangeRinaldi, Fakir, Raguin, Griffi/Bemba

Escare and Bousquet should soon be qualified.

This team could possibly keep England to within 20 points (e.g. 30-16).

However if France is to be competitive it needs to have a second SL club in Toulouse in 2015 -- with one or two more French SL clubs to come in 2018 or 2021 -- so as to encourage and train more French youth to become professionals, and by this method increase the quality French player pool, as well as increase the interest among the French public and investors.

Don't forget now we have the TV support from Al Jazeera (Bein Sport) which means it is more attractive for the French businessman to support the rugby 13 teams.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5506No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50774_1329287946.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50774.jpg

Quote: Dico "Baitieri is from Sydney Roosters thats why (or someone like that). Hes not really a french product'"

you mean a bit like Rangi Chase from Wests Tigers & Illawara ?

or Widdup,Heighlington or Reed et al....

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5506No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50774_1329287946.jpg

Quote: JEAN CAPDOUZE "Your team is not the best possible. You don't need 2nd rate Aussies like Chisolm. There are enough good French players.

Quote: JEAN CAPDOUZE "Greenshields will return to Australia and will not play for France again. '"

who told you that ? Clint will play for France again this autumn if Potter is the new coach and if he's fit

Quote: JEAN CAPDOUZE "Escare and Bousquet should soon be qualified.'"

how do you mean 'qualified' - what's to stop them playing now of they were selected ?

.'"

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6809
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18302_1567366773.png
[b:1crbsr9w] Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021! Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022! [/b:1crbsr9w]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18302.png

Quote: sanjunien "'"
]

Greenshields wants to return to his family in Australia. So he may play for France this autumn, if selected, but only in this year because he is going home.

You are correct, I should not have written "qualified" concerning Bousquet and Escare. They are qualified by birth and training. I meant to say "prepared for international level."

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6268No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2015Jul 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: sanjunien "you mean a bit like Rangi Chase from Wests Tigers & Illawara ?

or Widdup,Heighlington or Reed et al....'"

Oh I'm well aware, I just meant that he wasn't a product of the french production system which seemed to be implied. He's as French as I am English but you couldn't hold him up as an example of the Catalans youth system

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5506No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50774_1329287946.jpg

Quote: JEAN CAPDOUZE "Greenshields wants to return to his family in Australia. So he may play for France this autumn, if selected, but only in this year because he is going home.

You are correct, I should not have written "qualified" concerning Bousquet and Escare. They are qualified by birth and training. I meant to say "prepared for international level."'"

Clint does want to return and will play for France this autumn if fit and if Potter his good friend is appointed coach as I said - he has had some offers from the RL for next season with the Raiders being the favourite as it's only down the road from his parents - if he decides to play another season in the NRL he would then consider the 2013 World Cup, if fit

yes sorry JC, that's what I thought you must have meant about Escaré & Bousquet - I was just being pedantic, excuse-moi ! From what i've seen Escaré is ready for international RL - he's quick, skillful and just needs to beef up a bit and have a few games in the SL to play FB for his country - he's intelligent a quick learner so I can't see a problem

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9426
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
42169_1366443727.jpg
Chorlton RL wrote- "Jonny, for me you hold the mantle of most sensible poster on the VT" ............................................................................................................................................... Yed wrote: "He's like a Kevin Penny on steroids except he's good too" ............................................................................................................................................... "What? What have I said now?" - Starbug 2013 ...............................................................................................................................................:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_42169.jpg

Quote: JEAN CAPDOUZE "Your team is not the best possible. You don't need 2nd rate Aussies like Chisolm. There are enough good French players.

Baiteiri --- a Catalans regular, not "just starting to get into the Catalans team" --- [iis French born and speaks French[/i, so he is very qualified.

Bosc
Barthau

Baiteiri
Elima, Mounis
Casty, Pelissier, Simon

However if France is to be competitive it needs to have a second SL club in Toulouse in 2015 -- with one or two more French SL clubs to come in 2018 or 2021 -- so as to encourage and train more French youth to become professionals, and by this method increase the quality French player pool, as well as increase the interest among the French public and investors.

Don't forget now we have the TV support from Al Jazeera (Bein Sport) which means it is more attractive for the French businessman to support the rugby 13 teams.'"

Keep England within 20 points? You mean like the last time we played in October when it was 18-32?

I just said I think Baitieri is top class already, you must have got the wrong end of the stick.

And Damien Cardace, while a good prospect, isn't a patch on Pelo. This illustrates my point that in a few more years, Cardace, Pellisier and Barthau won't be as green and even more, better sourced and trained players will come through for France.

I think a 5 Nations would improve all the teams. England v France is a test, RL is the fastest growing game in Wales, Ireland have got a decent side when you put it on paper. www.internationalrugbyleague.net ... -for-2013-

Proper test rugby. Scotland can develop slowly. Grow rivalries over the years.

Bosc
Barthau

Baiteiri
Elima, Mounis
Casty, Pelissier, Simon

Don't forget now we have the TV support from Al Jazeera (Bein Sport) which means it is more attractive for the French businessman to support the rugby 13 teams.'"

Keep England within 20 points? You mean like the last time we played in October when it was 18-32?

I just said I think Baitieri is top class already, you must have got the wrong end of the stick.

And Damien Cardace, while a good prospect, isn't a patch on Pelo. This illustrates my point that in a few more years, Cardace, Pellisier and Barthau won't be as green and even more, better sourced and trained players will come through for France.

I think a 5 Nations would improve all the teams. England v France is a test, RL is the fastest growing game in Wales, Ireland have got a decent side when you put it on paper. www.internationalrugbyleague.net ... -for-2013-

Proper test rugby. Scotland can develop slowly. Grow rivalries over the years.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5506No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50774_1329287946.jpg

Quote: Dico "Oh I'm well aware, I just meant that he wasn't a product of the french production system which seemed to be implied. He's as French as I am English but you couldn't hold him up as an example of the Catalans youth system'"

that's true enough of course Dico but the Catalans along with Toulouse are producing some good kids who will make it i'm sure

there is no magic solution to producing top class players in France - just work with the kids and hope a small percentage of them are good enough to make the grade
The set ups are different to the UK with everything on a much smaller scale in France so obviously a lot less quality players will come through the system, anyone expecting a really competitive french international team are in for a long wait....another french SL club will really help but it's only part of the solution IMO

37 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
37 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Decision on the field
MattyB
7m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
chapylad
22m