Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2012Jun 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Catalancs "What are the crowds like in Melbourne and the capital?'"

I was in Melbourne last month and I can tell you that the crowds and atmosphere there are fantastic. In fact the game which I went to 76,000 turned up and that was just a regular round fixture. Melbourne is also a big city which has to support 9 clubs in the competition but that doesn't stop it from generating huge attendances. You know? Where fans actually turn up and place bums on seats?

It's called Aussie Rules and unlike Rugby League it doesn't need to obsessively waffle away ad nauseam about TV ratings as if somehow that makes up for the embarrassment of rows upon rows of empty seats and zero atmosphere at NRL games in Sydney and elsewhere.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22320No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23521.jpg
[quote="Tarquin Fuego":3e09qe5x] I love Jamie and have done since he was 10 years old. [/quote:3e09qe5x] [quote="The Reason":3e09qe5x]Hi Andy The Rugby Football League are in the process of reviewing the video that you are referring to. We do not condone behaviour of this nature and have contacted the player’s employer, Hull F.C., who have confirmed that they are dealing with the incident under their club rules.     Regards,   Matthew[/quote:3e09qe5x]:23521.jpg

Quote: Keith Swiftcorn "I was in Melbourne last month and I can tell you that the crowds and atmosphere there are fantastic. In fact the game which I went to 76,000 turned up and that was just a regular round fixture. Melbourne is also a big city which has to support 9 clubs in the competition but that doesn't stop it from generating huge attendances. You know? Where fans actually turn up and place bums on seats?

It's called Aussie Rules and unlike Rugby League it doesn't need to obsessively waffle away ad nauseam about TV ratings as if somehow that makes up for the embarrassment of rows upon rows of empty seats and zero atmosphere at NRL games in Sydney and elsewhere.'"

There's a few minor factors that contribute, but you are indeed correct.

What amazes me that with these massive tv ratings rl has over afl who has the biggest tv deal?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1213No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Jun 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39856.gif
:39856.gif

Quote: Keith Swiftcorn "I was in Melbourne last month and I can tell you that the crowds and atmosphere there are fantastic. In fact the game which I went to 76,000 turned up and that was just a regular round fixture. Melbourne is also a big city which has to support 9 clubs in the competition but that doesn't stop it from generating huge attendances. You know? Where fans actually turn up and place bums on seats?

It's called Aussie Rules and unlike Rugby League it doesn't need to obsessively waffle away ad nauseam about TV ratings as if somehow that makes up for the embarrassment of rows upon rows of empty seats and zero atmosphere at NRL games in Sydney and elsewhere.'"

Keith you should look for an Aussie Rules forum if that is how you feel mate, you will get plenty of bites I am sure.

I am not really fussed on what AFL does to be honest or the culture Melbournites have watching
their game, maybe it suggests they have little else to do on a weekend compared to other places.
They average 60k and that is a huge number, its -6 % down this year so far and it was -6% down last year.

Good TV ratings for Rugby League is a positive for our code any way you look at it, TV ratings translate to revenue. Those same ratings will be what sees more English players moving to the NRL and staying in the code rather than moving to Union (or AFL)

Most Clubs do not have rows and rows of empty seats unless you think a Club team should fill the Olympic Stadium or the Football Stadium, that's hardly realistic.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1213No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Jun 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39856.gif

Quote: Sheldon "There's a few minor factors that contribute, but you are indeed correct.

What amazes me that with these massive tv ratings rl has over afl who has the biggest tv deal?'"

That TV deal is about to change though Sheldon, its been locked in on a long term deal since 2005 with channel nine.
It should be around double that amount this time, 1 billion or there abouts.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22320No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23521.jpg
[quote="Tarquin Fuego":3e09qe5x] I love Jamie and have done since he was 10 years old. [/quote:3e09qe5x] [quote="The Reason":3e09qe5x]Hi Andy The Rugby Football League are in the process of reviewing the video that you are referring to. We do not condone behaviour of this nature and have contacted the player’s employer, Hull F.C., who have confirmed that they are dealing with the incident under their club rules.     Regards,   Matthew[/quote:3e09qe5x]:23521.jpg

Quote: Jonesy "That TV deal is about to change though Sheldon, its been locked in on a long term deal since 2005 with channel nine.
It should be around double that amount this time, 1 billion or there abouts.'"

I know mate, if the nrl gets 1 billion that's 200 million behind afl.

More has to be done about membership and attendances, all i see on tv is adverts for afl and I have never received any info in the mail about membership for any of the 3 surrounding nrl clubs.

Anyway I'll leave it all here, i've done it to death on these boards before.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1213No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Jun 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39856.gif

Quote: Sheldon "I know mate, if the nrl gets 1 billion that's 200 million behind afl.

More has to be done about membership and attendances, all i see on tv is adverts for afl and I have never received any info in the mail about membership for any of the 3 surrounding nrl clubs.

Anyway I'll leave it all here, i've done it to death on these boards before.'"

The Crowds have never been massive for Rugby League in Sydney, they are as high now as they have been for a long time.

Times are tough everywhere.
If you can hold on with what you have in most Sports today you are doing ok, there are so many other things competing for your time and money.
A family of 4 at the Broncos in a reasonable spot at the ground is $120, throw in $50 for a drink each and a Pie or Burger, its not a cheap family day out, you could go to one of the big Theme Parks on the Coast for the same amount. (or buy a weeks groceries in some cases)

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22320No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23521.jpg

And this is why clubs should promote their membership packages better.

A family of 4, in the good seats, for 14 games at souths is $855 they'll even let you pay monthly at $71.25.

Now if you want to sit in the cheap seats, and imo theres no bad seats in the suncorp or anz, you can pay for 2 adults and UP TO 4 kids $500 for the 14 games, $41.67 A MONTH.

Members also get a discount on food and drink.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1213No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Jun 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39856.gif

Quote: Sheldon "And this is why clubs should promote their membership packages better.

A family of 4, in the good seats, for 14 games at souths is $855 they'll even let you pay monthly at $71.25.

Now if you want to sit in the cheap seats, and imo theres no bad seats in the suncorp or anz, you can pay for 2 adults and UP TO 4 kids $500 for the 14 games, $41.67 A MONTH.

Members also get a discount on food and drink.'"

That is a great deal, Souths have been active in promoting memberships more than most.

Brisbane don't really do any great deals as being a one team large City they don't have to, they can fill the place with young males having a night out with their mates.

The "family tickets" are for 1 Adult and 1 child to sell them at a higher rate.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22320No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23521.jpg

Quote: Jonesy "That is a great deal, Souths have been active in promoting memberships more than most.

Brisbane don't really do any great deals as being a one team large City they don't have to, they can fill the place with young males having a night out with their mates.

The "family tickets" are for 1 Adult and 1 child to sell them at a higher rate.'"

I think it maybe a Sydney thing due the smaller crowds.

Roosters were doing a $100 season pass for this season but I didn't see it advertised, anywhere.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1055
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: MjM "Do you understand how statistical sampling works? Remarkably small samples can produce very reliable figures - increasing the sample size has minimal impact on expected reliability.'"

Quadrupling the sample size will only halve the error,

Once you get to sample sizes of about 3,000 there is really no need to increase it any further (Assuming your sample is random)

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2469No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2012Jun 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Sheldon "There's a few minor factors that contribute, but you are indeed correct.'"

Probably, but there's also several major factors that contribute to the difference and the overriding major factor is passion for the game.

Quote: Sheldon "What amazes me that with these massive tv ratings rl has over afl who has the biggest tv deal?'"

Exactly. And which code has teams in every major city in Australia?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach4024
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Darlings of Super League:

I always feel sorry for Keith. It's like he is mentally trapped in rugby league, despite the fact he hates at the game at levels and in all countries.

I just hope someone can get to him to show him that he can just let the anger go, and do something he enjoys.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1213No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Jun 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39856.gif

Quote: Keith Swiftcorn "Probably, but there's also several major factors that contribute to the difference and the overriding major factor is passion for the game.

Exactly. And which code has teams in every major city in Australia?'"

Give it up Keef icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2469No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2012Jun 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Jonesy "Keith you should look for an Aussie Rules forum if that is how you feel mate, you will get plenty of bites I am sure.'"

There's really no need for that response simply because you don't like what I have to say. I'm a rugby league fan first and foremost but I'm not blind to the inherent problems the sport appears unable to solve... embarrassing lack of bums on seats being one of them... comparatively speaking.

Quote: Jonesy "I am not really fussed on what AFL does to be honest'"

That's called sticking your head in the sand.

Quote: Jonesy "or the culture Melbournites have watching their game, maybe it suggests they have little else to do on a weekend compared to other places.'"

I've been to Sydney and Melbourne on countless occasions and they both offer a multitude of cultural and social attractions which compete for people's engagement and disposable incomes. Dismissing Melbourne as a social and cultural desert which has nothing else to offer apart from AFL is an ignorant, lazy and desperate effort to explain away Sydney's relatively poor NRL attendances.

Quote: Jonesy "They average 60k and that is a huge number, its -6 % down this year so far and it was -6% down last year.'"

I've no idea whether those stats are true or not but if they are then it's safe to conclude that NRL attendances in Sydney won't be competing with attendances like those in Melbourne anytime soon.

Quote: Jonesy "Good TV ratings for Rugby League is a positive for our code any way you look at it, TV ratings translate to revenue.'"

Correct, but they aren't translating to bums on seats in Sydney in anything like significant numbers. A semi-decent attendance of 30K at an NRL game in Sydney at ANZ looks embarrassing with all those empty seats and is not a good look on TV. I've read other excuses for poor attendances in Sydney like... oh, the weather was terrible, it was raining... well, the weather in Melbourne is more changeable than Sydney and it doesn't affect AFL supporters ability to turn up to games.

You know there's a problem with the sport when the focus and agenda becomes obsessed with TV ratings and how allegedly wonderful and positive they are. This is an argument which has crept into the thinking of insecure acolytes of Super League in recent years too.

Quote: Jonesy "Those same ratings will be what sees more English players moving to the NRL and staying in the code rather than moving to Union (or AFL)'"

The number of league players switching codes is insignificant and yet another insecure knee-jerk of the highest order.

Quote: Jonesy "Most Clubs do not have rows and rows of empty seats'"

Yes they do have rows and rows of empty seats along with sply occupied grassy knolls, unless it's the NRL equivalent of a local derby fixture.

Quote: Jonesy "unless you think a Club team should fill the Olympic Stadium or the Football Stadium, that's hardly realistic.'"

It might not be realistic in Sydney but it's realistic in Melbourne at the MCG or Etihad. Those stadiums get filled for regular season AFL games.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1213No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Jun 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39856.gif

Where do you live Keith?
Why do you care about Rugby League if you dismiss and disparage the Sport.

I do not care about AFL or Cricket or Soccer.... why should I?
I am only interested in what appeals to me, is that wrong too in your mind?

Why should I care if you think the Stadiums are empty or full? or if it bothers your mentality, everyone I know is comfortable with the state of the game and where it sits.

I am happy with the way things are, I would like England to sort themselves out and compete at Test level and win a series but that is outside of my control.

Anything else Keith?

45 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
45 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.93603515625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Tonights game v Leeds
karetaker
Recent
Watson toast
Willzay
Recent
have the rules changed
Spookisback
Recent
Round 17 Warrington Away
Les Norton
Recent
Recruitment rumours and links
Alffi_7
Recent
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
Zig
Recent
Saints h
Zig
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
1m
have the rules changed
Spookisback
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
1m
Rumours and signings v9
jonh
1m
FC v hull kr
Jake the Peg
1m
Saints h
Zig
1m
Watson toast
Willzay
3m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
mwindass
3m
Recruitment rumours and links
Alffi_7
4m
Round 17 Warrington Away
Les Norton
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Warrington Wolves Into Second With Win Over Leeds
RLFANS News
TODAY
Tonights game v Leeds
karetaker
TODAY
Watson toast
Willzay
TODAY
Watson Been Stood Down
Deeeekos
TODAY
Watson gone
Jo Jumbuck
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Giants
doc999
TODAY
Just makes me laugh
Wildmoggy
TODAY
Anyone know about wfd v batley
Wollo-Wollo-
TODAY
Bradford
BigTime
TODAY
One more Saints inspired novel
glee
TODAY
Bradford Away 140724
RealSteel89
TODAY
Fax v Fev
The Phantom
TODAY
Cas
RfE
TODAY
Round 17 Warrington Away
Les Norton
TODAY
Saints h
Zig
TODAY
For the live of god Arthur out
batleyrhino
TODAY
Arthur In
KaeruJim
TODAY
Wakefield H
Peter Goddar
TODAY
Squad for Leeds
Or thane
TODAY
Academy Internationa
Winslade's O
TODAY
Jamie Humphreys NRL Debut
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
York v Dons Sunday 14th July 2024 3pm
Double Movem
TODAY
Warrington v Wigan Super League game to take place in Las Ve
Saddened!
TODAY
Las Vegas Official
TF and the w
TODAY
have the rules changed
Spookisback
TODAY
FC v hull kr
Jake the Peg
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Into Second ..
Salford Hold On To Beat Unluck..
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
Hull KR Drop Goal Secures Win ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M 2,760 80,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
11:00
Cronulla
v
Wests
     Womens Super League 2024-R8
17:30
WiganW
v
St.HelensW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
20:00
LondonB
v
Castleford
Wigan
v
St.Helens
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
08:30
Gold Coast
v
Parramatta
10:35
Brisbane
v
St.George
12:00
York V
v
FeatherstoneW
15:00
Hull FC
v
Hull KR
Leigh
v
Huddersfield
       Championship 2024-R15
Whitehaven
v
Toulouse
Catalans
v
Salford
 Sun 14th Jul
12:00
Wire W
v
LeedsW
       League One 2024-R15
14:00
Newcastle
v
Hunslet
14:00
Hudds W
v
BarrowW
       Championship 2024-R15
Batley
v
Barrow
Bradford
v
Wakefield
Halifax
v
Featherstone
Sheffield
v
Swinton
Widnes
v
Dewsbury
York
v
Doncaster
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 12th Jul
SL
LondonB-Castleford
WSL2024
WiganW-St.HelensW
SL
Wigan-St.Helens
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Thu 11th Jul
NRL 19 Dolphins36-28Souths
SL 17 Warrington30-18Leeds
Sun 7th Jul
NRL 18 Sydney42-12St.George
NRL 18 Canberra12-16Newcastle
SL 16 Salford22-20Hull FC
CH 14 Dewsbury16-20Doncaster
CH 14 Featherstone66-0Whitehaven
CH 14 Swinton24-12Widnes
CH 14 Wakefield34-12Batley
CH 14 York54-12Barrow
L1 14 Newcastle0-44Workington
L1 14 Crusaders18-32Midlands
L1 14 Keighley20-20Rochdale
WSL2024 7 Wire W10-32Hudds W
WSL2024 7 York V44-0BarrowW
Sat 6th Jul
NRL 18 Canterbury13-12NZ Warriors
NRL 18 Wests28-40Melbourne
NRL 18 NQL Cowboys20-22Manly
SL 16 Hull KR14-16Catalans
SL 16 Leeds17-16LondonB
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 15 427 170 257 26
Warrington 17 436 231 205 24
St.Helens 16 429 170 259 22
Hull KR 16 397 217 180 22
Salford 16 317 308 9 22
Catalans 16 304 234 70 20

Leeds 17 309 316 -7 18
Huddersfield 16 298 365 -67 12
Leigh 15 270 250 20 11
Castleford 16 246 435 -189 9
Hull FC 16 218 496 -278 4
LondonB 16 156 615 -459 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 14 520 154 366 28
Sheffield 14 382 217 165 22
Bradford 14 353 230 123 19
Toulouse 13 344 186 158 17
Widnes 14 327 269 58 15
Featherstone 14 396 283 113 14

Doncaster 14 257 341 -84 13
York 15 339 305 34 12
Batley 14 217 320 -103 12
Swinton 14 284 344 -60 10