FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Teams getting hammered..
73 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12860No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39110_1363272058.jpg
Dropkick Murphy..we actually saw and heard a mass of bouncing and scarf and flag waving to Dale Cavese that drowned out anything we could muster.. It stopped us singing our own celebratory songs, it died out seconds later when we accepted we couldn't be heard over the Wigan lot Celebrations muted from us, job done from them. Most fans who slag them off are jealous their own club's support is nowhere near that good - sally cinnamon..Why not discuss Wigan? It's a rugby league message board. Wigan are the most famous brand in rugby league - Tre Cool..Saints fans are hopeless unless it's a cup final or grand final. Wigan fans are so much more loyal and passionate - the flying biscuit..Wires havent been massively succesful over the years, but I've spoke to Brian Bevan And he spoke to me and i wouldnt swap that for Wigans History, ever - Ande..on the TV i could only hear the Wigan fans with about 10 to go - Saint94..Every team is in your feckin shadow, we all know - FIOS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39110.jpg

Too many teams don't spend to the cap and the coaching is awful.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1450
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1673_1436275874.jpg
Jamie Jones-Buchanan "I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire" And neither would any Lancastrian.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1673.jpg

Quote: Mr_Moranovich "Very harsh that, yes he never won anything at Warrington but he has done alot of good things for the club not only on the pitch, Warrington wouldn't be where it is as a club without Cullen!!!!'"

It was the Wire chairman who changed everything for them. Paul Cullen was never going to take them to the heights they are at now. The chairman was the instigator.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach357No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2012Apr 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28000.jpg
:28000.jpg

Quote: Ovavoo "It was the Wire chairman who changed everything for them. Paul Cullen was never going to take them to the heights they are at now. The chairman was the instigator.'"

I'm not on about league positions, challenge cups im on about when he was still playing and doing alot of work behind the scenes in the office and stuff, he was the one who got the wolfpack season tickets going also he was the one who got the ball rolling with us changing to Wolves.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

The NRL has two advantages - a far bigger and better pool of players and the fact that most teams spend close to the cap. David Gallop (NRL CEO) said that some SL teams only spend around 30% of the cap. Its not surprising that a team that can only afford to spend a third of the amount of other clubs will struggle to have any depth or quality in their squad.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach17844No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2014Mar 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23997_1287161421.jpg
[quote="Mark"]Great game of rugby league. Fantastic atmosphere, Wigan were breathtaking and dominant in all areas for the first 25 minutes, coupled with us making alot of dumb mistakes,then fortunately they brought McIlorum on which helped us back into the game. I thought some of the tries we scored to get us within two we're out of this world stuff. Towards the end we had to force it a little and we had a few things go wrong, i.e Monas kick on the first for King and Solomona going off who was causing havoc. Wigan were clinical in their eventual execution of us. Proud of Wire today and gave us a little glimpse to the future. Silverwood was awful as per, but I expect no less. Tomkins is a world class player and by far the best english player in SL. Wigan are a champion side and would be a worthy winner of taking our title as challenge cup. Good luck over the next month and a bit.[/quote]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23997.jpg

Quote: wire-till-i-die "well said can do without idiotic posts like that , cullen gave 20 years service to the wire'"
And what did he get at the end?

Loads of abuse

RankPostsTeam
International Star286No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2011Aug 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
56422_1298254810.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_56422.gif

Quote: middleman "edited for accuracy

Not totally true since the takover of the club in March... Trinity have been finacially stable, however the expected 'sword of dameclese' in the franchise process meant that no one... literally no one... wanted to sign with a club who were expected to lose superleague status.

but i take your point!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2927
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2019Apr 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I'd rather have SL cut down to a league on 10 or 12. Or possibly have the Super League as a 10 Club league, and then the league below that being another 10 club league.

So, say, a SL comprising of

Wigan, Warrington, Saints, Catalans, Hudds, Cas, Leeds, Hull FC, Hull KR, Bradford

and then a league below with

Salford, Wakefield, Quins, Widnes, Halifax, Fev, Barrow, Leigh, Crusaders (if they've gotten themselves sorted) and 1 other.

You could then maybe get a 1-for-1 promotion/relegation between these two leagues, or stick with the franchise system.

It would also have other benefits - 2nd league teams have something more realistic to aim for, the quality of players in these leagues should improve, and it's better for the player's health as they're playing less games per season, amongst other things that I can't explain coherently at 2.30am.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member31082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

It's more to do with the changing nature of RL I think. Small differences in the teams can mean big points.

Much as it pains me, take Huddersfield. On form capable of beating anyone, and topping the league but have had off days where they shipped 30+ points against they might have expected to deal with "easily"

It's become a truism that RL is a game of inches, maybe even millimetres. If one team has it's calibration off by a smidge then they can easily concede points, and how often do we see halftime leads of 18 or 20 points over turned?

I wouldn't mind seeing a bonus point for close games, since many many times a very close game has been decided by a contentious call or miracle bounce of the ball.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2164No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2014Dec 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Rugby League (in particular in the summer era with fast pitches etc) is a sport that will always have lob sided score lines. It simply isn’t a sport where a team can play for a draw or keep the score down

In football, a team can put 10 or 11 men behind the ball and a clearly inferior side can achieve a 0-0 or lose by a small margin. In RU, the laws of the game allow for negative tactics – i.e. removing the ball from the pitch on a regular basis and slow the play down. But in League, this can’t happen – one team doesn’t have to be better by too much to get 20 or 30 points on their opponents... it is a sport where it is very difficult to be defensively minded

The first half of this season was as competitive as I have seen for a long time with a lot of upset wins. It is fair to say that the teams with the larger (more depth in quality) have come to the fore in the second half of the season but that is to be expected and we are in continuous development not overnight change

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12625
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33809.png

RL is a momentum sport. If it see-saws back and forth it makes for a compelling spectacle. But you do sometimes see games when one teams dominance, particularly in terms of weight of possession, becomes almost self-perpetuating, as the opposition tire and penalties mount.

As a supporter of a team that has played big chunks of the game without the ball this season, team-that-scores-kicks-off appeals.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2398No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2020May 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52062_1312547093.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_52062.jpg

Quote: Dunbar "Rugby League (in particular in the summer era with fast pitches etc) is a sport that will always have lob sided score lines. It simply isn’t a sport where a team can play for a draw or keep the score down'"

In the same period (of 3 weeks), the NRL has produced only 3/24 games where a team has been hammered (assuming 30 points is a hammering and 2 of those games the points difference was EXACTLY 30) and in only 2/24 games has a team scored more than 40.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member31082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

That's because the NRL is incredibly tedious.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2164No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2014Dec 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Old_Faithful_IAKW "In the same period (of 3 weeks), the NRL has produced only 3/24 games where a team has been hammered (assuming 30 points is a hammering and 2 of those games the points difference was EXACTLY 30) and in only 2/24 games has a team scored more than 40.'"

And it is the even competition that the NRL demonstrates that we are striving towards - the Australian system (without P&R funnily enough) has allowed teams to develop their squads for the last several decades and build programmes of development for the future without the need for overnight fixes

Our league is more even than it has been but we are not there yet... hence my point below which you conveniently left out of your quote

Quote: Old_Faithful_IAKW "we are in continuous development not overnight change'"

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2490
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2022Aug 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Following a side that has shipped in a load & hammered a few teams, I lay the blame at the all out chase to speed up the game.The main consequence is that the play the ball is so quick & it is becoming impossible to get the defence set at marker & a shed load of penalties with teams getting a roll forward with no great effort. Take a look at the NRL this year they now make the players play the ball with the foot at every play now there are few penalties at the play the ball as markers are able to get square if they keep concentrating & work at it.The NRL still seems quick mainly because the number of stoppages for penalties appears to droped.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17134No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
193.jpg
Northampton RL....details here: //www.northamptonrl.co.uk:193.jpg

Quote: Mild Rover "RL is a momentum sport. If it see-saws back and forth it makes for a compelling spectacle. But you do sometimes see games when one teams dominance, particularly in terms of weight of possession, becomes almost self-perpetuating, as the opposition tire and penalties mount.

As a supporter of a team that has played big chunks of the game without the ball this season, team-that-scores-kicks-off appeals.'"

We tried that for a while, but teams were getting pinned in their 20 after receiving, kicking and the team ahead would start their possession on halfway.
I wouldn't mind re-visiting the idea though, but perhaps move the kickoff spot back 10 metres - there is no reason it has to be the halfway line.

Some of the junior leagues are using a PTB on halfway to the conceding team. Personally I think that goes too far, and would rather see a 20 metre tap in those leagues.

73 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
73 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.69140625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Salford H
Dave K.
9m
Play-offs
Deeeekos
9m