FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Whatever happened to The RL Supporters Association?
40 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2469No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2012Jun 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Damo-Leeds "Wouldn’t that be stealing someone’s organisation..
You can't steal something that no longer exists icon_cool.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: Keith Swiftcorn "You can't steal something that no longer exists
But better still if you can find a ' mug ' to buy it icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9426
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
42169_1366443727.jpg
Chorlton RL wrote- "Jonny, for me you hold the mantle of most sensible poster on the VT" ............................................................................................................................................... Yed wrote: "He's like a Kevin Penny on steroids except he's good too" ............................................................................................................................................... "What? What have I said now?" - Starbug 2013 ...............................................................................................................................................:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_42169.jpg

Quote: Damo-Leeds "The most and least sensible posters on RLFANS join forces!
Cheers! You shouldn't put yourself down though.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11757No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34476.jpg
//peakwalking.blogspot.co.uk/:34476.jpg

Quote: jonny the leyther "Cheers! You shouldn't put yourself down though.'"

Anyhow I was talking to Geoff Lee last year and from him it sounded like The TGG has been about in the last few years or at least since 2005. But it was having trouble with getting an editor. The very last thing I heard from him was something to do with the supporters trust.

Hopefully he’ll see this and shed some light on what’s happened or someone else will.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11757No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34476.jpg

rlsa.rlfans.com/news.php < It still exist here!
rlsa.rlfans.com/news.php < It still exist here!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2469No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2012Jun 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Damo-Leeds "rlsa.rlfans.com/news.php < It still exist here!'"

And not updated since 2005!

That's a long time to allow a corpse to rot.

SD1
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach69No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2011Aug 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

You could always get in touch with Supporters Direct (that's me!) For the past two years I've been working on trying to develop supporter representation within individual clubs but I'd love the chance to work across the game as a whole as there are a whole host of issues that mean supporters are getting the rough end of the stick.

Our work in football has been heading this way for a while and I see no reason why we couldn't do the same in RL.

At the very least we need to make sure supporters at levels of the game are being heard and if we can implement some changes along the way then all the better.

You can check out our website at rlhttp://www.supporters-direct.cooprl or email me at Laura.Harrison@supporters-direct.coop

Cheers
You could always get in touch with Supporters Direct (that's me!) For the past two years I've been working on trying to develop supporter representation within individual clubs but I'd love the chance to work across the game as a whole as there are a whole host of issues that mean supporters are getting the rough end of the stick.

Our work in football has been heading this way for a while and I see no reason why we couldn't do the same in RL.

At the very least we need to make sure supporters at levels of the game are being heard and if we can implement some changes along the way then all the better.

You can check out our website at rlhttp://www.supporters-direct.cooprl or email me at Laura.Harrison@supporters-direct.coop

Cheers

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach37No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Aug 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[color=#800040:3sw8cty6]Have a few minutes free?[/color:3sw8cty6] :arrow: [color=#000000:3sw8cty6][size=100:3sw8cty6]Write about the game on [b:3sw8cty6][url=http://en.rugbyleaguewiki.org/:3sw8cty6]Rugby League Wiki[/url:3sw8cty6], the rugby league encyclopaedia[/b:3sw8cty6][/size:3sw8cty6]![/color:3sw8cty6] [color=#800040:3sw8cty6][url=http://en.rugbyleaguewiki.org/w/index.php5?title=Special:UserLogin&type=signup:3sw8cty6]Sign up[/url:3sw8cty6] and [url=http://en.rugbyleaguewiki.org/wiki/Rugby_League_Wiki:Community_clubhouse:3sw8cty6]say hello[/url:3sw8cty6] :thumb: [/color:3sw8cty6]:

I was in contact with Cliff Spracklen, the RLSA chair about a year ago, with similar thoughts of a revival and also about the campaign to get SLS broadcast nationwide at a reasonable time. Nice bloke, he issued a press release in support. Hopefully he won't mind if I mention a couple of the things he said.

He explained that the RLSA members were TGG magazine subscribers. The magazine was an "influencing document" that was read by many key people in the game. He said it became more difficult to get people to take up roles in the RLSA over time, especially editors for TGG. He said new ideas and volunteers would be especially welcome. So he would probably be pleased to hear from some forum upstarts, Damo! He mentioned the possibility of relaunching the RLSA as a Supporters Trust or IPS. I was interested in doing something and offered some ideas but unfortunately didn't hear back from him (hopefully because he was busy and not because of my ideas!).

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11757No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34476.jpg

It seems to me that Cliff Spracklen and others have become disheartened at running the RLSA and the TGG. After all it set its self standards that have since become unattainable for reasons that I can only guess on.

However there are people like us (and probably many others) that would chase for those standards again. Who’d be prepared to do the rebuilding that clearly isn’t taking place right now. If they are genuinely looking for new ideas to put into practise then they need to make it clear. It’s no good the likes of you and I sending a message every few years expressing our ideas and interest – only for them to become fruitless.

We are supporters too and we want a healthy RLSA. Well at least something that is better than the state that it is in now – which is anything. Hopefully we’ll hear a clear statement of Cliff’s intentions soon if he ever happens to come across this thread.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11757No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34476.jpg

Quote: SD1 "You could always get in touch with Supporters Direct (that's me!) For the past two years I've been working on trying to develop supporter representation within individual clubs but I'd love the chance to work across the game as a whole as there are a whole host of issues that mean supporters are getting the rough end of the stick.

You can check out our website at rlhttp://www.supporters-direct.cooprl or email me at
A SD and a RLSA partnership would probably go down a treat. Would Supporters Direct take on the responserbility of restoring the RLSA and TGG to its former glory?
Quote: SD1 "You could always get in touch with Supporters Direct (that's me!) For the past two years I've been working on trying to develop supporter representation within individual clubs but I'd love the chance to work across the game as a whole as there are a whole host of issues that mean supporters are getting the rough end of the stick.

You can check out our website at rlhttp://www.supporters-direct.cooprl or email me at
A SD and a RLSA partnership would probably go down a treat. Would Supporters Direct take on the responserbility of restoring the RLSA and TGG to its former glory?

RankPostsTeam
Administrator21082
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 199925 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8589_1512921015.jpg
[img:rn9g3499]//forums.rlfans.com/images/sigbanner2.png[/img:rn9g3499]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_8589.jpg

Administrator

I don't think people became "disheartened" they just didn't have the time any more to run it like it used to be run and there where no new people coming in to keep it running like it was.

SD1
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach69No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2011Aug 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Damo-Leeds "A SD and a RLSA partnership would probably go down a treat. Would Supporters Direct take on the responserbility of restoring the RLSA and TGG to its former glory?'"

I'd certainly be prepared to take on some of the responsibility for it and I did a few months back have meetings with Cliff (who I'm in regular contact re Bramley anyway) and Geoff Lee but unfortunately the ideas never came to fruition.

My idea was to continue with TGG but to make it more of an online magazine which would save on the huge costs of printing and postage every edition. This is a great publication which could be used to air and galvanise support for the issues in our game with campaigns (where necessary) developing off the back of this but as with anything, it needs people willing to put in the time and effort to make it happen. Cliff is exceptionally busy and I know he doesn't have as much time as he'd probably like for this but with a joint effort by a number of supporters plus Supporters Direct, I can definitely see it becoming a much bigger and more prominent organisation.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman599No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2015May 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1494.jpg
:1494.jpg

I was one of the founding members hence my node name when 12 fans met in a pub at Criddling Stubbs ,,,,,,we were all involved with the fanzine scene then. We then set up via our fanzines the first meeting of people at a pub in Leeds prior to a Great Britain v France test match to test the waters so to speak .....with that meeting being a success we went on to form the RLSA at the George in Huddersfield before the next season started.

From there we set up a branch in East Yorkshire that held monthly meeting which always had a guest speaker from one of the Hull clubs present. This branch was the only active branch for all the time I was in it. I stopped being a member when the branch as a collective resigned from the organisation when the national group backed the super league cause and the merger of teams.

RankPostsTeam
Administrator18777
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 199925 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4.jpg
Sian: Oh that's a very pretty plane, it's all pink and purply Thecko: And it says Wizz on it :shock: [url=http://www.myspace.com/thecko:1apcmlzd]-myspace-[/url:1apcmlzd] _ [url=http://www.thecko.co.uk/photos/:1apcmlzd]-Various Photos-[/url:1apcmlzd] _ [url=http://www.thecko.co.uk/blog/:1apcmlzd]-Blog-[/url:1apcmlzd] _ [url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/registry/registry.html/ref=w_h_em-si-html_viewall/202-2367638-0731855?id=HI88OEDMA7CN:1apcmlzd]amazon wishlist (go on, you know you wanna buy me stuff)[/url:1apcmlzd]:4.jpg

Administrator

Organisations like the RLSA are a thing of the past. Like it or not there is a [ivery small[/i percentage of the RL fans base who care about the sport in a way that extends beyond the fortunes of their own clubs.

There are plenty of people who would like to see it revived - I daresay that people would [ilove[/i to have an organised, representative fans body who can call on organisations (broadcasters, printed media), with numbers behind them, to give the sport more coverage and/or respect.

The problem is, as soon as you present people with a membership fee (even if it's a small one), they suddenly shy away from it. They think "oh I won't sign up for it, it's a great idea though so I'm sure plenty will join, it won't matter if I don't".

If the RLSA is ever to get going again, I think it would have to be in a different format. It would have to move out of the realm of members travelling to a single location to have an AGM. It would need to be a more vibrant, active, entity that embraces the nature of immediate communications that are available today.

Maybe the supporters direct initiatives that are currently being cranked in to gear could breathe new life in to the idea of a body that represents the views of, and fights for the rights of, the fans. I'd like to hope so. But it would need the contributions to and membership subscriptions of the RL fan base in order for it to succeed, and in all honesty, I just don't know if people are willing to do that icon_sad.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: Paul Thexton "Organisations like the RLSA are a thing of the past. Like it or not there is a [ivery small[/i percentage of the RL fans base who care about the sport in a way that extends beyond the fortunes of their own clubs.

Maybe the supporters direct initiatives that are currently being cranked in to gear could breathe new life in to the idea of a body that represents the views of, and fights for the rights of, the fans. I'd like to hope so. But it would need the contributions to and membership subscriptions of the RL fan base in order for it to succeed, and in all honesty, I just don't know if people are willing to do that
Oh no there isn't , I've seen polls on this very board where the vast majority of fans say they put the ' game ' before their club icon_wink.gif

These ' views of ' , ' rights of ' the fans , what exactly would they be ? icon_wink.gif

40 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
40 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.7978515625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
3m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
3m