JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33809.png

Quote: Jimmythecuckoo "The new magazine layout is promising though I reckon.'"

When I picked my copy in WHSmith, the back cover flapped open to reveal a young lady in an England shirt, heels and her knickers posing in changing room showers, with a weak pun about April Showers (ahead of the next issue). At the front was the 'Random League' section for bizarre stories and I thought 'poo, they've turned it into a Lad's mag'. To my relief the stuff in between was decent enough.
I was a bit alarmed, though, that Steve Mascord thought the Huddersfield 6 should be named, shamed, fined and suspended even if no charges are brought or successfully prosecuted. WTF?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10446
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23655_1294867330.png
For the latest Giants News on Twitter first: [url=http://www.twitter.com/GiantsRLFans:29oobw8d]Click Here Now![/url:29oobw8d] [url=http://www.Giantsrlfans.com/:29oobw8d]FREE STUFF[/url:29oobw8d] We're [color=#6E2233:29oobw8d]Claret[/color:29oobw8d] and [color=#FFBF00:29oobw8d]Gold[/color:29oobw8d]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23655.png

Quote: Mild Rover "When I picked my copy in WHSmith, the back cover flapped open to reveal a young lady in an England shirt, heels and her knickers posing in changing room showers, with a weak pun about April Showers (ahead of the next issue). At the front was the 'Random League' section for bizarre stories and I thought 'poo, they've turned it into a Lad's mag'. To my relief the stuff in between was decent enough.
I was a bit alarmed, though, that Steve Mascord thought the Huddersfield 6 should be named, shamed, fined and suspended even if no charges are brought or successfully prosecuted. WTF?'"

What mag/paper is this? I'm suddenly interested.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2010Aug 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

the 2 papers are worth a read but league express is easily the better. league weekly has a bit of an old man's feel to it like the old rugby leaguer and news that's days old. league express news seems to be more like updated news after the games. but it needs more features and player interviews like it used to have

rlw is miles better after the redesign. it now feels like a proper mag in its thickness and professionalism. the random league stuff was a bit bizarre and the championship investigation didnt really investigate very much. it didnt really offer much opinion either. at least you got that from schofield and the last ed. but hopefully it will carry on improving.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1210No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2015Feb 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

This is why events unnerve me.:

Quote: headhunter "Journalists who actually understand the game and are insightful, rather than media school geeks who portray the sport in a completely inaccurate way.'"

Martyn Sadler and Tim Butcher were simply fans who were disillusioned with the standard of RL press coverage in 1990 (?).

They ain't been to no media school.

But they did something about it, backed themselves financially, and set up League Express.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12488No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney/00004.gif
Huddersfield Giants 2013 over achievers Huddersfield Giants 2014 under achievers ??????????:disney/00004.gif

Quote: Wadski "There are two weekly newspapers and one monthly magazine.

The weekly newspapers are pretty much similar in their setup and style and even have the same style columnists.

I can only talk about RLE after being a subscriber but their layout is pretty much the same week in week out. Off the top of my head

All of those suggestions would improve RLE. I particularly lik ethe bit about the opta stats ( i am sure some arrangement with Opta could be agreed). What they always do is create thought and discussion and often give an extra insight into a game.

How often do you hear someone had a good game or a bad game then see the stats they made 40 tackles and missed none or made 5 errors and then rethink your opinion.

Also some information from the clubs who use the satellite technology would be interesting how much a player ran etc. All of this would be different , detailed and make it a lot more interesting to subscribers.

I can usually read the review of Giants games on the website, or Sl site two days before it is in RLE. I get nothing new from buying it. ( that is if i can get it at all in the NE). i do not subscribe because there is nothing different in it that makes it worth my while.

rs
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach70
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2015Jan 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Dave Hadfield helped start up the Bolton team in the early 80's and i seem to remember he was an RL fan well before that. Ste Fox has followed the game for around 35 years I would guess. I could defend one or both but I don't suppose its worth it but the FACT is they are both RL through and through and have been for decades.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17226No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6731_1299024498.jpg
[quote="King Street Cat":1wa9s43t]Some might look at this as being harsh but I think it's fair. When are the Rugby League going to stop persisting with this fantasy expansion. If it hasn't worked by now, it never will! I'm all for reaching out to a wider audience with our game but not at the expense of historical clubs in the homelands.[/quote:1wa9s43t]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6731.jpg

Quote: Steve Fox "Martyn Sadler and Tim Butcher were simply fans who were disillusioned with the standard of RL press coverage in 1990 (?).

They ain't been to no media school.

But they did something about it, backed themselves financially, and set up League Express.'"
I was referring more to the newspaper correspondents than the likes of Sadler and Butcher. I have no issue with their reporting really.

GSF
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach997No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32929.jpg
:32929.jpg

Not creeping or anything just because Steve Fox has posted here but I have always found his articles,whether Widnes related or on RL in general, to be entertaining and informative.Likewise Hadfield.His book up and over was most enjoyable.But hey,we RL fans like to slate players,reffs,administrators,fans etc so why should journos escape the wrath.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1153No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2011Sep 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39169.jpg
Be loyal be loud, be Cas, be proud - wherever in the world you are! Join Cas Tigers in Exile on Facebook:39169.jpg

I like Dave Hadfields stuff, the Jon Wells column and that George bloke who does the blog on BBC. He is very good.

Ive always thought it would be good if League Publications tried a monthly kids style RL mag in the style of Match Football magazine. I loved Match as a kid for the stickers, posters and easy to read articles. Something like that for kids might really help promote the game to a young audience.

Im confident in the heartlands it would sell well enough to be a goer? Maybe SOR for amatuer clubs??

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member35No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2021Jan 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: back to back to back "Is it just me or does he just state the bleeding obvious in his articles?

Sometimes when you read articles by a journalist/former player or pundit you think ''oh yeah, I never thought of it like that before, or, wow that's true how insightful''

With sadler it's pretty much a case of thinking to yourself ''yup, yadda yadda yadda knew that already'' *skims through waiting for something interesting* it never appears, article ends.

In this weeks league express theres a section on leeds poor start. Theres a whole bunch of things he could have touched upon. Instead it basically comes down to, headingly pitch is crap, brough was in great form...the end.'"

To be accused of stating "the bleeding obvious" makes me sympathise with Gordon Brown when he is accused of bullying.

No doubt Gordon would like to bully his accusers, if he could be alone in a room with them, and similarly I feel like coming out with "the bleeding obvious" in response to this criticism.

I suppose I could have said that Leeds have had a bad start this season because it's the Chinese Year of the Tiger (Cas Tigers, geddit?), combined with the fact that Brian McClennan stopped going to church, Gary Hetherington forgot to pay the groundsman, and Wakefield employed a witchdoctor to cast a spell on Leeds at Belle Vue.

None of that would have been obvious, so maybe I'll point it all out in my next column.

I don't know whether I state "the bleeding obvious" every week, but if you read the column on 15 February you might have spotted a piece about the tendency of first-year coaches winning the Super League title.

A lot of people, including several coaches, have said to me since that column came out that they had never spotted that particular trend. But maybe it was obvious to you.

Anyway, having got that off my chest, thanks for reading League Express, and criticism is always more valuable than praise, so you are doing us a favour. Obviously!

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2021Jan 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Jim Bergerac "Only one in a long list of dreadful RL journalists. Add Richard De La Rivere, Tim Butcher, Steve Fox, Dave Hadfield and chums to it.
'Dicky Rivers' has practically ruined Rugby League World during his time at the helm.'"

Was it your cat that we ran over?

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2021Jan 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Wadski "There are two weekly newspapers and one monthly magazine.

The weekly newspapers are pretty much similar in their setup and style and even have the same style columnists.

I can only talk about RLE after being a subscriber but their layout is pretty much the same week in week out. Off the top of my head

You hit upon a problem that confronts anyone who is producing a weekly newspaper in the Internet age - how much space to give to news that is already in the public domain!

Ideally we would like all our news to be completely exclusive and new. And yet as a newspaper of record, if a player has signed a new contract in the previous week we have to report that in the following Monday's League Express.

Having said that, a lot of the Super League news that features in League Express comes fresh into the newspaper after the weekend's games.

Some of the points you make are interesting ones, although putting together a newspaper that has to cover 36 professional clubs and the whole of the amateur game means that we have to ration our resources to some degree.

As far as the stats of every game is concerned, Opta don't complete their analysis until Monday morning, although I would like nothing more than to publish all the stats if they could be produced more quickly.

We also have the problem that some players are difficult for our reporters to get hold of straight after a match.

Furthermore, when we do reader surveys we find that not all our readers agree on precisely what they would like to read in the newspaper.

But thanks for your thoughts, which I'll take on board and consider carefully.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1210No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2015Feb 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

This is why events unnerve me.:

Quote: rs "Dave Hadfield helped start up the Bolton team in the early 80's and i seem to remember he was an RL fan well before that. Ste Fox has followed the game for around 35 years I would guess. I could defend one or both but I don't suppose its worth it but the FACT is they are both RL through and through and have been for decades.'"

I also ran the line (once) for a St Bedes ARLFC North West Counties Division Six fixture so any suggestion that I lack an in-depth knowledge of the game is very hurtful.

Quote: rs "Not creeping or anything just because Steve Fox has posted here but I have always found his articles,whether Widnes related or on RL in general, to be entertaining and informative.'"

Thanks Dad.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6268No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2015Jul 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Some of Wadski's ideas are great. I'm not a huge stats man myself but i'd definately like to see more of a personal touch with interviews the man on the street can't hear regarding club life in general

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach326No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2010Apr 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Martyn Sadler "

I don't know whether I state "the bleeding obvious" every week, but if you read the column on 15 February you might have spotted a piece about the tendency of first-year coaches winning the Super League title.

A lot of people, including several coaches, have said to me since that column came out that they had never spotted that particular trend. But maybe it was obvious to you.

'"

Wow. That sounds like a smart piece. I assume you compared the performances of coaches who are in their first 2nd 3rd 4th etc year in post. And factored in the clubs' pre and post coach seasonss. The number of new coaches in clubs outside the Bulls /Saints / Leeds must be very high yet few manage to win SL! If it is merely an observation that a club finishing 1st or 2nd one year then finishes 1st the next year with a new coach it could be virtually meaningless.

With the backing of analysis it will be a meaningful insight. Without thoughtful analysis it is a dreary partial observation.

Too many RL journalists confuse surface observations with insight. I am sure your piece was the later. I will go and dig it out.

48 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
48 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.3564453125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC