JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Apr 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5885-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg
regards and ENJOY your sport Leaguefan "The Public wants what the Public gets" - Paul Weller:icons077e_files/5885-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg

31 years old, wanted to finish his career in England ( I bet he did) but is 2 years earlier than expected!!!!!

The money being spent on this guy is a TOTAL waste IMO.

£840,000 will buy oh so many balls, kits, showers etc., etc that could be used to help kids into the game and develop their skills and talents.

Multiply that by the other overseas players who "may" be on similar amounts and all this money is lost to the game.

Are a few of us the only ones who can see the problem here?

Was Saturday the pinnacle of RL in this country?

If it is, then this signing is great for the Bulls, and we condemn international competition into the dustbin for with this kind of thinking there is NO CHANCE we will ever beat the Aussies in a meaningful scenario for well ...................................

The game is slowly drifting away people and from where I look is at the edge of a sadly terminal decline in this country.

If we have to rely on past it, crocked, holidaying pension seeking oceanics can you really argue any different.

The watershed was 1978 when the Aussies went back home and DID SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!

1982 should have done the same in this country but it didn't. The game is STILL played in the same old fashion in the same old stadia with the same old ideas and the same old development strategy.

What the future hold , is open to debate but all this kind of signing does is reinforce the idea that shorttermism is the way the clubs are always going to go and as they control the RFL, then the way the whole game is going to go.

Is there hope?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner8224No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2012Sep 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7741_1339451243.jpg
When you're a Bradford fan there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately it's usually an oncoming train:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7741.jpg

Quote: Leaguefan "31 years old, wanted to finish his career in England ( I bet he did) but is 2 years earlier than expected!!!!!

The money being spent on this guy is a TOTAL waste IMO.

£840,000 will buy oh so many balls, kits, showers etc., etc that could be used to help kids into the game and develop their skills and talents.

Multiply that by the other overseas players who "may" be on similar amounts and all this money is lost to the game.

Are a few of us the only ones who can see the problem here?

Was Saturday the pinnacle of RL in this country?

If it is, then this signing is great for the Bulls, and we condemn international competition into the dustbin for with this kind of thinking there is NO CHANCE we will ever beat the Aussies in a meaningful scenario for well ...................................

The game is slowly drifting away people and from where I look is at the edge of a sadly terminal decline in this country.

If we have to rely on past it, crocked, holidaying pension seeking oceanics can you really argue any different.

The watershed was 1978 when the Aussies went back home and DID SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!

1982 should have done the same in this country but it didn't. The game is STILL played in the same old fashion in the same old stadia with the same old ideas and the same old development strategy.

What the future hold , is open to debate but all this kind of signing does is reinforce the idea that shorttermism is the way the clubs are always going to go and as they control the RFL, then the way the whole game is going to go.

Is there hope?'"

But again, you're laying the blame at the feet of SL clubs. I'm all for youth development and I'd love us to be able to compete on the international stage. However, you've failed to ask the question that all SL clubs will ask regarding the England/international team: "What's in it for us?"

Until there's some kind of reward for bringing on young english talent then why SHOULD SL clubs be expect to foot the bill? It's down to the RFL to make youth development an attractive proposition for clubs. I'd expect that all 14 SL clubs couldn't really give 2 figs about the international team and tbh fair to them, why should they? Internationals do nothing for clubs other than disrupt pre-season training and threaten injury to star players

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member469No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2014Dec 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2440_1271861171.jpg
If it ain't got six tackles - I'm not interested! www.pitchero.com/clubs/northleedsleopardsjuniorrlfc/:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2440.jpg

Good signing IMO

Orford is a very good scrum halve with plenty of pace and a v. good kicking game.

Bradford havnt had a decent halfback for years so the Bulls should be delighted.

They just need a decent stand off and they may be a threat next season.

Deacon to S Wales to join up with Noble - you heard it here 1st!

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

Quote: Roofaldo "I'd expect that all 14 SL clubs couldn't really give 2 figs about the international team and tbh fair to them, why should they? Internationals do nothing for clubs other than disrupt pre-season training and threaten injury to star players'"

Indeed, and I would suspect the same would also apply to clubs outside SL.

Businesses are in it for themselves, and sporting clubs are businesses.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5480No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
187.jpg
[img:2penstlp]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5994/saints7sk.gif[/img:2penstlp] "...the biggest boor, the most opinionated pompous bigot that frequents these boards and he is NOT to be taken at all seriously. ":187.jpg

Quote: Andy Gilder "Indeed, and I would suspect the same would also apply to clubs outside SL.

Businesses are in it for themselves, and sporting clubs are businesses.'"

And businesses who can't see past the end of their noses deserve to go to the wall. If SL clubs adopt this attitude of "what's in it for us", then perhaps they don't deserve to survive.

International competition is what brings in the big money. The reason GP clubs have salary caps so much higher than SL clubs despite similar crowds is because they get far more cash from their centrall allocation. The reason they get more central cashh is that RU has a thriving international game which brings in huge sponsorship and TV deals. You'd have to be really stupid to see this, and I don't believe that most of our SL clubs really are that stupid.

We've reached saturation point in terms of our domestic income-generating capacity in this country. Crowds have grown steadily but slowly since SL began, but are levelling off overall, and certainly aren't going to jump to the sort of size we'd need to generate the cash needed to fight off a cash-rich RU. So most significant income growth in future is going to have to come from TV and sponsorship. TV and sponsorship are directly related to international competition. Therefore, we have to improve the attractiveness of our international competition to improve our income. That's, as you say, a very businesslike notion.

Really, if any SL chief exec was so stupid as to suggest that international competition has no relevance to them, then that's as good a reason as any to make that chief execitive's sacking a condition of license renewal.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2103No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2011Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47381.jpg
"Common sense is the deposit of prejudice laid down in the mind before the age of eighteen." Albert Einstein (1879-1955):47381.jpg

Quote: Roy Haggerty "

We've reached saturation point in terms of our domestic income-generating capacity in this country. Crowds have grown steadily but slowly since SL began, but are levelling off overall, and certainly aren't going to jump to the sort of size we'd need to generate the cash needed to fight off a cash-rich RU. So most significant income growth in future is going to have to come from TV and sponsorship. TV and sponsorship are directly related to international competition. Therefore, we have to improve the attractiveness of our international competition to improve our income. That's, as you say, a very businesslike notion.

'"

Even if we had an England team that could compete on equal terms with the Aussies, there'd still only be three international teams remotely capable of winning anything. This isn't likely to generate the kind of money you speak of.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach736No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2009Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[size=200:2um3f4m4][color=red:2um3f4m4]WWW.GOONSWARM.COM[/size:2um3f4m4][/color:2um3f4m4] //www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRlrFudaEs8 //www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymdSjCYK ... re=related [size=200:2um3f4m4][color=red:2um3f4m4]GOODBYE BOB, GOONSWARM OWNS YOU[/size:2um3f4m4][/color:2um3f4m4]:

Quote: Ewwenorfolk "Buderus
Barrett was aswell
Matt King
Stuart Fielden'"

if you honestly think that any of the above are on £280k a year you are deluded.

I am privvy to the wages of wigan, given that I have worked on their annual statutory audit and without giving you how much they earn/earned, I can tell you that neither Barrett nor Subway Stu where anywhere near that figure. Not even close.

I dont for one minute believe that that King or Burderus on that either.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach14082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9857_1341488583.jpg
WEST COAST PIRATES NRL expansion? Sometime soon, maybe......:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9857.jpg

He's going to be 32 when SL '10 kicks off and 35 when his contract runs out. He will be the best paid player and he is an old man! Tell me again why SL isn't as intense as the NRL?

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
187.jpg
[img:2penstlp]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5994/saints7sk.gif[/img:2penstlp] "...the biggest boor, the most opinionated pompous bigot that frequents these boards and he is NOT to be taken at all seriously. ":187.jpg

Quote: Amadeo Avogadro "Even if we had an England team that could compete on equal terms with the Aussies, there'd still only be three international teams remotely capable of winning anything. This isn't likely to generate the kind of money you speak of.'"

That is true. But then, that's like saying that I can't get a candle as bright as the other guy's candle right now, so instead I'll stumble around in the dark.

RL has traditionally been a short-termist game. On the one hand, that's a strength, because it means that we're much more willing to innovate and change things quickly in search of the extra buck. Without that short-termism, we'd probably never have dropped the flankers. However, our long-term view is woeful. We were the first with a rugby world cup concept, but never followed it through. We began deveopment programmes in Russia, Italy and the Balkans which began to produce real fruit, then dropped them, allowing the RU to move in. In 1995 we were offered a golden egg-laying goose, but chose to kill it to maximise immediate benefit. For the first 10 years of SL we resisted the long-term planning mechanism of franchises/licenses in favour of short-termist P&R.

While the establishment factor plays a significant role in the greater success of RU, for me the most significant reason has always been that RU is strongly controlled by their central governing bodies. Those governing bodies take decisions in the interests of their game as a whole, as they see it, and by definition that is long-termist. In RL, clubs have always dominated, and that's why our decisions tend to be short-term and transient. Richard Lewis, and Neil Tunnicliffe before him, saw this and tried to change it. Tunnicliffe failed, but Lewis has at least partially succeeded. That's why, whatever his balls-ups, I think he's been the most effective RL Chief Exec/Chairman our game has had. My concern is that I don't see an obvious successor, and I fear that Nigel Wright, who is being prepared for the role, is back to the dark days of "never mind Europe, we have to look after Batley" (no offence, Batley).

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
187.jpg

While I'm at it, Bradford's accounts up to 2008 were recently mailed to shareholders. I wonder if one of them might be able to put on here how much the Bulls were spending each year on youth development. Then we can compare it to Orford's salary.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2103No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2011Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47381.jpg
"Common sense is the deposit of prejudice laid down in the mind before the age of eighteen." Albert Einstein (1879-1955):47381.jpg

Quote: Roy Haggerty "That is true. But then, that's like saying that I can't get a candle as bright as the other guy's candle right now, so instead I'll stumble around in the dark.
'"

I see your point, but from a club perspective, their primary consideration is whether they get to stay in SL and then whether they are capable of winning anything.

Every SL club will spend its full salary cap (or as near as damn it) on players' wages. If Bradford, for example, decided to not sign Orford and instead put his salary into youth development, they'd be left so far behind all the other SL clubs in the short term, and might not even be in SL by the time their investment in youth began to bear fruit.

The only way it would work is if every club was forced to spend a specific amount of their income on youth development. This may mean that salary caps need to be reduced to free up the cash.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman7594
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021May 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8_1434361123.jpg
When my club didn't exist it was still bigger than yours:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_8.jpg

Quote: Roy Haggerty "rlhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/bradford/8361832.stmrl

Great. Bradford's answer to...'"

Bradford's problems, at a time when the prevailing winds of news is generally bad and season tickets are going on sale.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach14082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9857_1341488583.jpg
WEST COAST PIRATES NRL expansion? Sometime soon, maybe......:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9857.jpg

Quote: Amadeo Avogadro "I see your point, but from a club perspective, their primary consideration is whether they get to stay in SL and then whether they are capable of winning anything.

Every SL club will spend its full salary cap (or as near as damn it) on players' wages. If Bradford, for example, decided to not sign Orford and instead put his salary into youth development, they'd be left so far behind all the other SL clubs in the short term, and might not even be in SL by the time their investment in youth began to bear fruit.

The only way it would work is if every club was forced to spend a specific amount of their income on youth development. This may mean that salary caps need to be reduced to free up the cash.'"

Exactly! The SL grant should have to have a certan amount of it spent on Jnr development. If it means teams can't sign some over the hill Aussies on 200k contracts then so be it!

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14145No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45.jpg

Quote: Eric_Cartman_is_a_saint "if you honestly think that any of the above are on £280k a year you are deluded.

I am privvy to the wages of wigan, given that I have worked on their annual statutory audit and without giving you how much they earn/earned, I can tell you that neither Barrett nor Subway Stu where anywhere near that figure. Not even close.

I dont for one minute believe that that King or Burderus on that either.'"

Did you also include the image rights, cars, pensions and other benefits elements of their packages? See the RFL Operational Rules - Salary Cap section 5.6 for full details. Did you audit all elements of their packages? Given that most of the statutory audit work is directed towards the balance sheet and not the P&L let alone the payroll.

And anyway, even assuming the figure quoted in the media is correct, he could be being paid at least in part in AUD. The currency the transfer fee from Souths for Burgess will likely have been denominated in. AUD 500k p.a. a year or so ago would have been just over £200k.

Also, even with what you have said you may have breached the rules of confidentiality. I would be far from impressed if I was your institute, your firm or your client. And that's speaking as someone who qualified 30 years ago.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner8224No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2012Sep 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7741_1339451243.jpg
When you're a Bradford fan there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately it's usually an oncoming train:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7741.jpg

Quote: Roy Haggerty "And businesses who can't see past the end of their noses deserve to go to the wall. If SL clubs adopt this attitude of "what's in it for us", then perhaps they don't deserve to survive.

International competition is what brings in the big money. The reason GP clubs have salary caps so much higher than SL clubs despite similar crowds is because they get far more cash from their centrall allocation. The reason they get more central cashh is that RU has a thriving international game which brings in huge sponsorship and TV deals. You'd have to be really stupid to see this, and I don't believe that most of our SL clubs really are that stupid.

Really, if any SL chief exec was so stupid as to suggest that international competition has no relevance to them, then that's as good a reason as any to make that chief execitive's sacking a condition of license renewal.'"

But how much of the money raised for internationals goes to the clubs themselves? I'd bet not much if any.

So I ask again, what benefit does the current international setup offer to SL clubs?

118 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
118 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.39111328125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Todays match v Saints
Captain Hook
Recent
Salford H
DSJ1983
Recent