FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Have the Quins had their final beer at last chance saloon?
185 posts in 13 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7343
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10025.jpg
For contributions, remittances, payments, and all other matters of any responsibility, please refer to someone else. “The British people love a good hero and a good hate” Lord Northcliffe:10025.jpg

Quote: saints35 bulls0 "whether they target RU fans, or Aussies/Kiwis or inner city gangs or the Pakistani community is largely irrelevant - at least they would be trying something. Anything targeted with a bit of ambition, creativity and flair is better than they are doing now - and will get more people in than sitting back and waiting for people to turn up.'"

icon_frustrated.gif
Why can't people like you comprehend the bleedingly obvious? Marketing and promotions cost money, this is especially true in a place like Greater London where the market for entertainments is huge and highly competitive. Quins RL don't have much money to spend on marketing, that's it, our marketing is entirely related to how much we have to spend, not a lot! There have been marketing initiatives, but we simply don't have the money to put out a campaign that will make a significant dent. Don't get me wrong, there are Quins fans who don't get this either, and it is entirely legitimate to ask whether we're getting the best of the extremely limited resources we do have (as long as there's no pretence that they aren't anything other than extremely limited because ultimately you get what you pay for), but it's totally stupid to claim they're sitting back and doing nothing.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4389No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2019Dec 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45452.jpg
[i:2v2cei1t]'You put your Wendell in, You take your Brownie out, You put your Bennett in, And you make it to the 8, You do the Oki Chokie, And you get knocked out, Thats what St George are about' [/i:2v2cei1t] [quote="dally messenger":2v2cei1t]parra had no ball and still looked like scoring all the time[/quote:2v2cei1t] [quote="The Chief":2v2cei1t]What a knob Barrie MacKenzie is.[/quote:2v2cei1t] [quote="gutterfax":2v2cei1t]I like Bazza. He chose the name of a cross dressing Austalian institutions other persona.....and is your typical Aussie w@nker living in London whilst he tries to get some culture by visiting Prague to get pi55ed on Cheap Star, getting a fondle from a dodgy hooker in amsterdam and eating a snail for a bet when in paris. All of these things will make him a cultural icon when his visa runs out and he is sent the way of his great grandparents....alas, not in chains this time.[/quote:2v2cei1t] NEW COMPETITION COMING SOON!! YOU COULD BE THE NEXT BARRY McKENZIE!! WATCH THIS SPACE!! Barry McKenzie can be contacted at aussielegendbaz@gmail.com:45452.jpg

Quote: Homer "Bazza, we do realise this, honest us moon dwellers do, don't let the nay sayers put you off, please continue to bang that drum and toot that didgeridoo in the direction of Red Hall and Isleworth, we NEED you mate, for your truth is the only truth. Don't give up on us now, remember how the good Lord himself was derided when he showed us the right way, {No not Matt King, JC}

Get the facebook campaign running, tweet until thy can tweet no more, and save us, nay deliver us, from the root of all evils in Twickenham.

You and John the Baptist [gutterfax] are showing the powers above the way to move forward, [sizeand just because, like STD's, two of you come along at the same time, does not mean your message should be silenced[/size.'"

Good post
icon_biggrin.gif

EHW
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner8627
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
users/saintsold.gif
Forever in Rented Accomodation:users/saintsold.gif

Quote: Kelvin's Ferret "

you dont need loadsofmoney to target and engage with a community - whatever community or group it is.

if they choose the ANZAC expats - it doesnt cost much to have players going out and doing sessions and appearances in places where they are located.

it is all about engagement - and building relationships....you dont need to invest huge amounts of money to do that.

negative attitudes prevail all the way it seems.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4389No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2019Dec 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45452.jpg
[i:2v2cei1t]'You put your Wendell in, You take your Brownie out, You put your Bennett in, And you make it to the 8, You do the Oki Chokie, And you get knocked out, Thats what St George are about' [/i:2v2cei1t] [quote="dally messenger":2v2cei1t]parra had no ball and still looked like scoring all the time[/quote:2v2cei1t] [quote="The Chief":2v2cei1t]What a knob Barrie MacKenzie is.[/quote:2v2cei1t] [quote="gutterfax":2v2cei1t]I like Bazza. He chose the name of a cross dressing Austalian institutions other persona.....and is your typical Aussie w@nker living in London whilst he tries to get some culture by visiting Prague to get pi55ed on Cheap Star, getting a fondle from a dodgy hooker in amsterdam and eating a snail for a bet when in paris. All of these things will make him a cultural icon when his visa runs out and he is sent the way of his great grandparents....alas, not in chains this time.[/quote:2v2cei1t] NEW COMPETITION COMING SOON!! YOU COULD BE THE NEXT BARRY McKENZIE!! WATCH THIS SPACE!! Barry McKenzie can be contacted at aussielegendbaz@gmail.com:45452.jpg

Quote: saints35 bulls0 "you dont need loadsofmoney to target and engage with a community - whatever community or group it is.

if they choose the ANZAC expats - it doesnt cost much to have players going out and doing sessions and appearances in places where they are located.

it is all about engagement - and building relationships....you dont need to invest huge amounts of money to do that.

negative attitudes prevail all the way it seems.'"

eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22320No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23521.jpg
[quote="Tarquin Fuego":3e09qe5x] I love Jamie and have done since he was 10 years old. [/quote:3e09qe5x] [quote="The Reason":3e09qe5x]Hi Andy The Rugby Football League are in the process of reviewing the video that you are referring to. We do not condone behaviour of this nature and have contacted the player’s employer, Hull F.C., who have confirmed that they are dealing with the incident under their club rules.     Regards,   Matthew[/quote:3e09qe5x]:23521.jpg

I fully concur with Bazza except one thing.

VB and Tooheys New are horrible, they rival Melbourne bitter and xxxx gold as the most vile beers I've ever had the misfortune of drinking.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

Quote: Homer "
You and John the Baptist [gutterfax] are showing the powers above the way to move forward, and just because, like STD's, two of you come along at the same time, does not mean your message should be silenced.'"

Not sure who this is directed at more....bazza the troll or Homer the moderator........still, rings true for both of you (and yes homer, I have read the AUP icon_frustrated.gif
You're not paying attention are you? Most Aussies are not interested in SL, those that are already come along. I've met (and played alongside for a spell) Aussies who love RL, who'll make all kinds of sacrifices to play amateur RL but haven't got the remotest interest in SL. Trying to build relationships with people who know about the club but have never been interested in it is not a way forward.

And it's not even about huge amounts of money, so don't know why you pulled that out of your , we have very little money, and we're trying to make an impression in the most competitive entertainments market in the country, with a population of millions. We already have development people working with kids, but where exactly are you going to send "players going out and doing sessions", don't tell me the Shepherds Bush Walkabout or I'll wet myself? In most other places where SL is played the players have some form of public awareness, the average shopper in the Hardshaw Centre or Tontine Market will know a smattering of Saints players (even if just by name), here that's not the case. In the past the club has tried raising awareness in Twickenham and surrounding areas with players doing appearances trying to drum up awareness, but it's a losing battle with the money we actually have to spend.

EHW
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner8627
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
users/saintsold.gif
Forever in Rented Accomodation:users/saintsold.gif

fine, the ANZAC community is just one segment of the market that Quins could target - if that one isnt appropriate, there are many more.

You seem to be in the know....what exactly are Quins doing? who is the target market? have they actually identified one? what are they doing to promote themselves to that market? who are they competing against? what can they offer that is different to the competition?

i've heard plenty of what they are not doing - not much about what they actually are doing (and dont mention the Facebook promotion thingy, or I might just have to wet myself).

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1072
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

What you are saying then amounts basically to this

There may be a large potential target audience but some of them may need talking round and persuading or given more incentive so we may as well not bother. The rest of them require money that the club don't have in order to be made aware of the club and to be made interested. Quins can't afford to do so and so cannot do that.

So Quins have a large target audience that they have no possible means of tapping into so will never increase attendances. When we have clubs like Widnes, Halifax, Leigh, Barrow who have smaller target audiences but are able to tap into them given the profile of being in SL (or at the very least would try which is more than your club seem able to do) why should we persist in having your club in the top league barring the way for ones that would contribute a lot more. Your attitude I hope is not shared by the people who run Quins because if it is then we may as well kick them out now. If they fail so miserably to even make Londoners aware of their existence then Skolars and Storm are more important to developing the game so we wouldn't need Quins at all. Long term the top level may need a London club but that need not be Quins.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17134No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
193.jpg
Northampton RL....details here: //www.northamptonrl.co.uk:193.jpg

I thought London's long term strategy was pretty good:
Develop local youth players through school and club work =
Locally born and trained players playing for the first team =
Local interest.

No one wants to see a team of imports, whether they be from Australia or from the north (round ball game is different....they don't even enjoy what's on the pitch but still go)

It'll take a fair while though. Perhaps something else is needed in the short term.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7343
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10025.jpg
For contributions, remittances, payments, and all other matters of any responsibility, please refer to someone else. “The British people love a good hero and a good hate” Lord Northcliffe:10025.jpg

Quote: saints35 bulls0 "fine, the ANZAC community is just one segment of the market that Quins could target - if that one isnt appropriate, there are many more.

You seem to be in the know....what exactly are Quins doing? who is the target market? have they actually identified one? what are they doing to promote themselves to that market? who are they competing against? what can they offer that is different to the competition?

i've heard plenty of what they are not doing - not much about what they actually are doing (and dont mention the Facebook promotion thingy, or I might just have to wet myself).'"

They are competing against all the hundreds of other ways people can go and spend their money on entertainment, including all sports teams that people follow which have either been part of the community for decades and decades, or have been supported in the family for decades and decades.

I'm sure you could identify lots of target markets from a population of millions, but I'm equally sure you won't be able to identify a cost effective way of targetting them from a tiny marketing budget, that's the problem.

We've done ticket deals, but then our threadbare team plays the turgid rubbish we've been offering for a long time now and they don't come back, we've put together entertainment packages, but George Sampson doing backflips at half time isn't really going to put bums on seats even if the kiddies like it, we've done Antipodean theme days, but the bulk of Aussies in London think SL is a substandard competition and are too parochial to support any other club than their own even if the claim to be the world's biggest "footy" fan. In a previous I did marketing effectiveness for a major ISP, so I know how much even minor, localised, marketing/advertising costs, I doubt we can even afford to put posters on tube trains.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: Kelvin's Ferret "They are competing against all the hundreds of other ways people can go and spend their money on entertainment, including all sports teams that people follow which have either been part of the community for decades and decades, or have been supported in the family for decades and decades.

I'm sure you could identify lots of target markets from a population of millions, but I'm equally sure you won't be able to identify a cost effective way of targetting them from a tiny marketing budget, that's the problem.

We've done ticket deals, but then our threadbare team plays the turgid rubbish we've been offering for a long time now and they don't come back, we've put together entertainment packages, but George Sampson doing backflips at half time isn't really going to put bums on seats even if the kiddies like it, we've done Antipodean theme days, but the bulk of Aussies in London think SL is a substandard competition and are too parochial to support any other club than their own even if the claim to be the world's biggest "footy" fan. In a previous I did marketing effectiveness for a major ISP, so I know how much even minor, localised, marketing/advertising costs, I doubt we can even afford to put posters on tube trains.'"

Basically you are stuffed then icon_rolleyes.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7343
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10025.jpg

Quote: wiganermike "What you are saying then amounts basically to this

There may be a large potential target audience but some of them may need talking round and persuading or given more incentive so we may as well not bother. '"

No I'm not saying this, I'm not aware of any audience that needs talking round who we're not bothered with, and I don't know how you managed to get to that?

Quote: wiganermike "
The rest of them require money that the club don't have in order to be made aware of the club and to be made interested. Quins can't afford to do so and so cannot do that.'"

All of the ways of promoting the club need money to make them work, we can bring in new people on cheap deals, but then they watch a substandard team and don't come back.

So Quins have a large target audience that they have no possible means of tapping into so will never increase attendances. '"

We have lots of potential target markets that we cannot tap into in the short to medium term without substantial investment.

When we have clubs like Widnes, Halifax, Leigh, Barrow who have smaller target audiences but are able to tap into them given the profile of being in SL (or at the very least would try which is more than your club seem able to do) why should we persist in having your club in the top league barring the way for ones that would contribute a lot more. '"

It really depends on whether you buy into the line of the RFL and more importantly Sky (the game's major backer) that having a club in London is strategically more important than another club on the M62, or a club in Cumbria, the latter is not going to significantly boost SL crowds, and neither will raise profile of RL more than a London club.'"
]

Your attitude I hope is not shared by the people who run Quins because if it is then we may as well kick them out now. '"

The attitude of the people running Quins is of minor interest to me now, investment is really what matters. Melbourne Storm is Australia have built their success on dollars from News Ltd. Sustained investment in expansion is a winning model, but whether it is achievable is another matter, and that's before the parochial tendency start wailling.

If they fail so miserably to even make Londoners aware of their existence then Skolars and Storm are more important to developing the game so we wouldn't need Quins at all. '"

They are important but not in the way you think, Skolars is a small time outfit, Storm is an amateur team, they're small clubs that are putting down roots in their communities and offering people a gateway into RL, so that maybe in 10 - 20 years time we'll see kids playing RL whose parents played for these clubs, kids who have a heritage of RL. They have a symbiotic relationship with Quins RL, both have provided players into Quins development programme, Skolars have got players back out of that programme, whilst the development a club like Storm puts in would be wasted without the opportunity for those players to make it into the Quins development programme.

Long term the top level may need a London club but that need not be Quins.'"

Statements like these are just daft, nobody is going to magic another London SL club out of their and not face the same problems, or even worse problems. It's about investment, that's all!

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7343
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10025.jpg

Quote: Starbug "Basically you are stuffed then
Without significant, sustained investment, yes we are stuffed.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4389No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2019Dec 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45452.jpg

Quote: Kelvin's Ferret "Without significant, sustained investment, yes we are stuffed.'"

Maybe not Kelvins.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=449363

Saturday could be the turning point for your club.

I await with interest to see what happens
Quote: Kelvin's Ferret "Without significant, sustained investment, yes we are stuffed.'"

Maybe not Kelvins.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=449363

Saturday could be the turning point for your club.

I await with interest to see what happens

185 posts in 13 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
185 posts in 13 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.30615234375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
bishops fing
21m
Leigh it is
Zig
31m