JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wrencat1873 "The whole point here is there is still no bloody strategy..
Ok, so we cut the number of SL academies to try and "concentrate " the talent in fewer "hubs".
'"

Just remember, right at this moment the RFL haven't cut clubs to concentrate the talent - there are two spots unawarded.

Cas, Bulls and HKR have been deemed to be below the standards required to qualify for an A-licensed centrally-funded academy spot.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: dboy "Holmes is from Normanton, which is considered Wakefield territory (the Knights is a Wakefield club).

Wakey have invested heavily in their academy - why should they now piggy-back Cas, who have neglected theirs?

A service-area style academy, as tried in Hull, just didn't work.'"

"Didn't work" exactly how? Did it fail because of competing interests between two professional clubs? Or was the coaching set up useless?? Or did top kids refuse to join it because they wanted to wear the shirt of their own club? I keep reading the fact that it disbanded, but have never seen any explanation at all of how it actually "didn't work?"

Academies are actually already based on "areas" and not clubs per se. Some very big talents have come out of Halifax, Dewsbury, Widnes and Hunslet for instance. Pro-Clubs ability to fall out with each other and pursue self interest may have strangled the Hull set up, but many academies are based on players feeding in from other clubs areas.

The Huddersfield academy will in essence become the Bradford, Halifax and Huddersfield academy. The Leeds academy will continue to be the Leeds, Hunslet and Dewsbury academy.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wrencat1873 "

The whole point here is there is still no bloody strategy.. Ok, so we cut the number of SL academies to try and "concentrate " the talent in fewer "hubs".
Will this actually make a positive difference to the quality of players coming through those fewer academies ?

THE main issue for RL is to find a way of increasing the participation numbers at the bottom and then ensuring that the better players stay in the game.

Tinkering at the top, reducing academies and numbers of competing clubs in SL wont save the sport and instead of cutting SL academies, "we" should be helping those SL clubs who's academies aren't up to scratch and not binning them off.'"

Good post, but the strategy always was that to be a Superleague club you had to have an effective player development system. We saw the academy come in years ago when Leeds then Wigan got the ball rolling. In recent years clubs have been pushed toward also running reserves as well although the pandemic affected that move forward.

But you then get so called Superleague clubs who can't afford an academy or a reserve team like Salford. Then clubs like Bradford keep their academy going because they hold SL ambitions. I would guess if they got into Superleague they would then be able to invest in improving their academy to the standard asked for. That some academies are not up to standard may reflect a lack of money rather than will and although you talk of "Helping" I can't see such as Cas being given SL or RFL money to [i"help them get up to scratch"[/i

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: dboy "Just remember, right at this moment the RFL haven't cut clubs to concentrate the talent - there are two spots unawarded.

Cas, Bulls and HKR have been deemed to be below the standards required to qualify for an A-licensed centrally-funded academy spot.'"

That's of course a very good point and if they up their standards they are in???.

But this may come down to Money. Salford don't even have to have an academy to be in Superleague and we know they cannot afford it.We also know Bulls are very tight financially so if raising the standards means raising the cash have they got that money?

Cas seem to have made no headway on that ground they spoke about, how their benefactor Mr, Fulton's business has been affected by covid I don't know but it could be a factor. Their top coach is being lured away no doubt by an offer he can't refuse..............

Over at HKR Mr. Hudgell has also pulled back somewhat, so is it a coincidence that these academies may not be up to scratch as the money isn't going in???

You'd certainly not cut the first team budget!!

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12642
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33809.png

Quote: Donnyman ""Didn't work" exactly how? Did it fail because of competing interests between two professional clubs? Or was the coaching set up useless?? Or did top kids refuse to join it because they wanted to wear the shirt of their own club? I keep reading the fact that it disbanded, but have never seen any explanation at all of how it actually "didn't work?"

Academies are actually already based on "areas" and not clubs per se. Some very big talents have come out of Halifax, Dewsbury, Widnes and Hunslet for instance. Pro-Clubs ability to fall out with each other and pursue self interest may have strangled the Hull set up, but many academies are based on players feeding in from other clubs areas.

The Huddersfield academy will in essence become the Bradford, Halifax and Huddersfield academy. The Leeds academy will continue to be the Leeds, Hunslet and Dewsbury academy.'"

The COHA was graded as ‘outstanding’ by the RFL in 2017, its second year of operation. However, it was never very popular with fans (who were then happy enough to label it a failure when it disbanded after the 2019 season) and there were probably some trust issues around who would sign which players. There was a perception that some of the staff were there to represent the interests of Rovers or Hull, rather than offering even quasi-independent leadership.

The official reason for returning to academies at both clubs was the introduction of mandatory reserve teams in 2020 (aborted because of the pandemic), and the need for more players to take that preliminary step towards SL. SL clubs will still be required to run reserve teams from 2022, which now looks challenging for Rovers and Castleford, if they adopt the approach that the RFL seems to be advocating/demanding. It doesn’t feel like the most joined-up pathway strategy.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12642
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33809.png

Quote: Donnyman "That's of course a very good point and if they up their standards they are in???.

But this may come down to Money. Salford don't even have to have an academy to be in Superleague and we know they cannot afford it.We also know Bulls are very tight financially so if raising the standards means raising the cash have they got that money?

Cas seem to have made no headway on that ground they spoke about, how their benefactor Mr, Fulton's business has been affected by covid I don't know but it could be a factor. Their top coach is being lured away no doubt by an offer he can't refuse..............

Over at HKR Mr. Hudgell has also pulled back somewhat, so is it a coincidence that these academies may not be up to scratch as the money isn't going in???

You'd certainly not cut the first team budget!!'"

The academy system has, for reasons I can only speculate about, offered very poor return on investment for Hull KR. This is especially true given that it has been presented as a major priority since 2012 with indications that money has in fact been directed there rather than to the first team. So I have reservations about it and would be open to the club trying something quite different - I don’t think they will, but personally I think it should be explored.

That said, with the re-establishment of an independent Hull KR academy in 2020, the club was clearly doubling down on a youth-first strategy. John Bastian’s record at other clubs is excellent and he was obviously not appointed as a cost-cutting measure. Until the pandemic curtailed activities last year, the club was putting out lengthy, in-depth, optimistic videos on the first steps of the new set-up. A lot of hopes were being pinned on it, so (from a club-first perspective) it is a metaphorical gut punch to our leadership and the fans, as well as being enormously sad for the lads in the system.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Mild Rover "

With the re-establishment of an independent Hull KR academy in 2020, the club was clearly doubling down on a youth-first strategy. John Bastian’s record at other clubs is excellent and he was obviously not appointed as a cost-cutting measure. Until the pandemic curtailed activities last year, the club was putting out lengthy, in-depth, optimistic videos on the first steps of the new set-up. A lot of hopes were being pinned on it, so (from a club-first perspective) it is a metaphorical gut punch to our leadership and the fans, as well as being enormously sad for the lads in the system.'"

Thank you for that interesting information. I didn't think it was so recently that HKR went back to their own academy!!

IIRC didn't Neil Hudgell provide a bit of a bombshell about "stepping down" and the club needing to look for new owners? If they don't find them or if they find owners with enthusiasm but not a lot of money isn't the HKR academy therefore under threat?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Mild Rover "The academy system has, for reasons I can only speculate about, offered very poor return on investment for Hull KR. This is especially true given that it has been presented as a major priority since 2012 with indications that money has in fact been directed there rather than to the first team. So I have reservations about it and would be open to the club trying something quite different - I don’t think they will, but personally I think it should be explored.

That said, with the re-establishment of an independent Hull KR academy in 2020, the club was clearly doubling down on a youth-first strategy. John Bastian’s record at other clubs is excellent and he was obviously not appointed as a cost-cutting measure. Until the pandemic curtailed activities last year, the club was putting out lengthy, in-depth, optimistic videos on the first steps of the new set-up. A lot of hopes were being pinned on it, so (from a club-first perspective) it is a metaphorical gut punch to our leadership and the fans, as well as being enormously sad for the lads in the system.'"

Again I profusely thank you for the information and again note (corrections welcome) how HKR may have decided to "take back control" of their academy that would I think have supplied the reserves side that was in the pipeline, as a requirement of the brave new world of Superleague 2022.

There now seems to be a struggle that may be down to funding for certain clubs being a lot less (especially with TV funding reducing) where owners find they don't have the money like Bulls and HKR and maybe even Cas appear to be struggling with?.

There has been talk of 2022 being "two leagues of 10" which then makes me wonder if the 10 clubs in "Superleague One" would all have to run academies and reserves......

Certainly Hull, Leeds, Wakefield, Huddersfield, Warrington Wigan and Saints can do this and Les Catalans show signs of going back to a French player development system. Newcastle also have the money to do this....... pure speculation of course but the massive drop in TV income and changing circumstances as regards which clubs will have the rich owners and which won't, may just be a driver in terms of how Superleague will set up 2022........

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12642
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png

Quote: Donnyman "Thank you for that interesting information. I didn't think it was so recently that HKR went back to their own academy!!

IIRC didn't Neil Hudgell provide a bit of a bombshell about "stepping down" and the club needing to look for new owners? If they don't find them or if they find owners with enthusiasm but not a lot of money isn't the HKR academy therefore under threat?'"

No problem. icon_smile.gif

Just avoid confusion, work towards the new academy for the 2020 season began in 2019 following the announcement that COHA was to be disbanded after the 2019 season. 2020 was the first season of the new or rebooted HKR academy, but obviously that was severely disrupted by the pandemic.

Neil Hudgell has stepped down as Chairman but remains owner. Paul Lakin is now leading the club in a second spell as chief executive. They are looking for new investment, but Hudgell has said he is willing to continue funding the club until some is secured and perhaps partially thereafter. I wouldn’t be so presumptuous as to take it as a blank check forever, but I don’t think funding for the academy would be any more at risk than at other clubs reliant on a benefactor, running at a loss or otherwise in a financially precarious position - which is a fair proportion of clubs, unfortunately.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Mild Rover "No problem.
icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif If he's continuing funding that's great. As a prominent legal company I'd guess he will always have the money' but no longer want the hassle of running the club.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4209
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Donnyman ""Didn't work" exactly how?

The Huddersfield academy will in essence become the Bradford, Halifax and Huddersfield academy. The Leeds academy will continue to be the Leeds, Hunslet and Dewsbury academy.'"

I'll leave it to others to decide why the Hull merged academy didn't work - but it's a fact it didn't work.

Academies are not area based - per se or otherwise.

You're talking out of your .

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: dboy "

I'll leave it to others to decide why the Hull merged academy didn't work - but it's a fact it didn't work.

'"

How do you know it didn't work when you can't articulate why, and have to appeal to others to back you up.

What fixtures didn't they complete? Did they lose most of their games? Did the players go backwards in their development?.

As mild rover says "The City of Hull academy was graded as ‘outstanding’ by the RFL in 2017" so it worked.

Over to you or do you want to "[ileave it[/i"

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4209
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Donnyman "How do you know it didn't work when you can't articulate why, and have to appeal to others to back you up.

What fixtures didn't they complete? Did they lose most of their games? Did the players go backwards in their development?.

As mild rover says "The City of Hull academy was graded as ‘outstanding’ by the RFL in 2017" so it worked.

Over to you or do you want to "[ileave it[/i"'"

It worked so well that the clubs had already scrapped it.

If it was working, it would have been kept as a merged academy.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: dboy "It worked so well that the clubs had already scrapped it.

If it was working, it would have been kept as a merged academy.'"

It worked as an eliite academy producing the best quality players possible, and not dragging players who were never going to make it out of the community game and depleting that game. Otherwise it would not have scored so well.

It didn't work for the self interest of the clubs and personal preferences at the clubs, who reportedly just liked "having their own team" so they went back to dragging in many kids that were never going to make it thus affecting community clubs badly.

Read the posts, don't leave out the fact that the clubs preferred to see the kids in their own club shirts to having a stronger set up.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Donnyman "It worked as an eliite academy producing the best quality players possible, and not dragging players who were never going to make it out of the community game and depleting that game. Otherwise it would not have scored so well.

It didn't work for the self interest of the clubs and personal preferences at the clubs, who reportedly just liked "having their own team" so they went back to dragging in many kids that were never going to make it thus affecting community clubs badly.

Read the posts, don't leave out the fact that the clubs preferred to see the kids in their own club shirts to having a stronger set up.'"

All clubs have swarms of kids that go through their systems and dont actually have a decent chance of "making it", which applies to all sports.
If a club can produce 1 or 2 players each season they are "winning" but, you cant just have those "gems" as it's a team sport.

To suggest that clubs are "depriving the community game" of players is utterly ridiculous and whether those players make it into SL or not, they will improve as RL players and when they return to the community game later on, assuming that they stay within the sport, not only will they be better players, able to share their experience, they will also be happy that they "gave it a go.

The issue is numbers right at the bottom 6,7,8 year old's and RL has to find a way to keep these lads coming into the game.

310 posts in 22 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
310 posts in 22 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.8447265625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Questions for Ste Mills
Jacko1500mm
Recent
Tonights match v HKR
Or thane
Recent
Leigh it is
moto748
Recent
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
leedsbarmyar
1m
TV Games - Not Hull
bishops fing
1m
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
1m
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
2m
SL CHAT THREAD OTHER TEAMS GAMES
Jack Burton
2m
Wigan win academy final
Simba16
2m
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
RLFANS News
2m
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
3m
Sam Burgess
morleys_deck
3m
Leigh it is
moto748
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Grand final Tickets
NickyKiss
TODAY
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
RLFANS News
TODAY
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Questions for Ste Mills
Jacko1500mm
TODAY
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
morleys_deck
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
TODAY
Sam Burgess
morleys_deck
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
Or thane
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
TODAY
Championship Awards
FIL
TODAY
Season tickets
Ilkley Fax
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Gran..
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 3,027 80,13214,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sat 12th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R30
18:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sat 12th Oct
SL
18:00
Hull KR-Wigan
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 5th Oct
CH 29 York27-10Widnes
SL 29 Wigan38-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 28 759 336 423 46
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 29 580 442 138 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22