JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

NHS = SL ,private healthcare = NRL/RU

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Starbug "NHS
Why? are they the same job in a different country or a different job?
Because that's what the NRL and RU are

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "Then it isn't freely negotiated is it. Within your first sentence you explain the collusion and restrictions. They are free to do other jobs, so is anyone. They aren't free sell their skills as rl players in an open market
Pretty much every business has relationships with other companies and would be effected by their demise.

FFP is not a salary cap and football did not think it could practically or legally apply one and RU are likely to get rid of theirs and clubs have spoken publicly about their belief it is illegal.'"

Yes if a vehicle manufacturer goes out of business, the rest increase business and profit, not quite the same is it?

While the FFP isnt a salary cap, it has been introduced to prevent damage to the sport

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Starbug "Yes if a vehicle manufacturer goes out of business, the rest increase business and profit, not quite the same is it?

While the FFP isnt a salary cap, it has been introduced to prevent damage to the sport'"

are you saying if say Halifax go out of business Bradford wouldn't increase business?

Plenty of things which aren't a salary cap are in sports for the good of those sports. none of them justify a salary cap

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "are you saying if say Halifax go out of business Bradford wouldn't increase business?

Plenty of things which aren't a salary cap are in sports for the good of those sports. none of them justify a salary cap'"

If honda sell a million cars a year, and they stopped making them ,other manufacturers would collectively sell an extra million cars

If Halifax had 2,000 fans and dissapeared, collectively the other clubs would not increase their fan numbers by 2,000

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Starbug "If honda sell a million cars a year, and they stopped making them ,other manufacturers would collectively sell an extra million cars

If Halifax had 2,000 fans and dissapeared, collectively the other clubs would not increase their fan numbers by 2,000'"

I don't agree with your premise.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1002No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: roofaldo2 "Perhaps replacing it with a financial fair play system similar to that which has been introduced in football.

That would at least prevent sugar daddy run clubs running roughshod over the rest of the league and buying up every top player they can get a hold of.'"

I welcome sugar daddies to the sport, provided they are spending their own money (i.e. not putting the club into outrageous debt or forward liabilities), and b) that, whilst they can pay what the heck they like for 13 superstars, they're not allowed to hoover up all the talent and use it to keep the bench warm and play in the reserves.

If you insist that no more than 13 members of the squad are paid more than (say) £75k, let 'em pay up to 13 players whatever the heck they like.

Besides ... www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30547824
Quote: roofaldo2 "Perhaps replacing it with a financial fair play system similar to that which has been introduced in football.

That would at least prevent sugar daddy run clubs running roughshod over the rest of the league and buying up every top player they can get a hold of.'"

I welcome sugar daddies to the sport, provided they are spending their own money (i.e. not putting the club into outrageous debt or forward liabilities), and b) that, whilst they can pay what the heck they like for 13 superstars, they're not allowed to hoover up all the talent and use it to keep the bench warm and play in the reserves.

If you insist that no more than 13 members of the squad are paid more than (say) £75k, let 'em pay up to 13 players whatever the heck they like.

Besides ... www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30547824

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12097No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: SmokeyTA "I don't agree with your premise.'"

I do. I can't imagine that anyone would be so loyal to Honda that they would never buy a car again if they folded.

However people have an attachment to their club, and a lot of people would not start following another just because theirs has folded. Personally as a Hull fan I might go to Rovers or Cas occasionally to get my rugby fix. But I wouldn't go every week and wouldn't start supporting those teams.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

Quote: SmokeyTA "I don't agree with your premise.'"

Only because you never accept that you might be wrong.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: Nephilim "I think the NHS is a good example. I am employed by a particular NHS trust but my wages are capped by the Government. So just like a rugby player I am free to move from one club (Trust) to another but I will not be able to earn more than a maximum for my particular pay scale.'"

It's about the best non-sporting example of a similar situation to SL players. Like you say if, for example, you're a nurse in the NHS you have a set pay structure, like the salary cap. You can move between trusts like you can clubs and if you're not happy with that you can work in the private healthcare sector.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4091No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2022Nov 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Whether the cap goes up or not the days of us been able to compete on wages with the NRL and Premiership RU are long gone and not coming back.

m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/30547824
Whether the cap goes up or not the days of us been able to compete on wages with the NRL and Premiership RU are long gone and not coming back.

m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/30547824

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1812No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2016Jun 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds blancs/Snoopy.gif
:fonds blancs/Snoopy.gif

If a top player can be persuaded to stay or come to rugby league who can play for England. I'm up for any rule change that allows that. Obviously there has to be someone who wants to and can afford to do it.

I.e. If kashcow wanted to pay for Sam burgess to go to Salford, his wage would be whatever fits the salary cap. And he is allowed to use his own money to pay him or whoever a fee for that to happen.

Agreed that it's not looking good as far as losing out to ru and nrl.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Mr. Zucchini Head "I do. I can't imagine that anyone would be so loyal to Honda that they would never buy a car again if they folded.

However people have an attachment to their club, and a lot of people would not start following another just because theirs has folded. Personally as a Hull fan I might go to Rovers or Cas occasionally to get my rugby fix. But I wouldn't go every week and wouldn't start supporting those teams.'"
Its less that I don't think they would ever buy a car again, but more likely, and more analogous with how you would respond to hull going under, and they would buy fewer.

There is strong brand loyalty in cars, many people will simply be 'upgrading' if that upgrade isn't there, they not buy a car for another 2 or 3 years. Obviously that's not as strong as in sports but sports isn't unique. in fact people being wedded to it being unique and ignoring basic business rules is often why clubs go bust.

interesting quotes from RU today,
"If the salary cap is left to forbid the required investment, it will kill any hope of growth."

“It is time to seize that opportunity, to ensure a level playing field in Europe, to build the strongest league in world rugby and to let players earn market-related salaries. We must release the handbrake and step on the accelerator.

“We understand some clubs fear the removal of the salary cap will cause wage inflation, yet in reality salaries are already being driven by the French clubs. We can either sit back and become a ‘lowest common denominator’ league, or we can leap forward.”

Even Nigel Wood has said, "Our elite teams need to be cut loose to be internationally competitive." When asked whether that meant a relaxation of the salary cap, which has remained at around £1.7m per club for several seasons, he said has been promoting the introduction of a marquee player allowance for a couple of years now"

and Gary Hetherington "We proposed this a few years ago and didn't get the support of enough clubs. But it's been brought up again by Marwan, and there are people at other clubs like Simon Moran at Warrington and Ken Davy at Huddersfield who have the private income to spend more than they are currently allowed without jeopardising the stability of their clubs."

Tony Smith ""I'm keen on anything that's going to raise the quality of our competition, and maybe also give us a bit of a wow factor," said Smith. "If a marquee player at each club is the best way to do that, great."

Clubs have sold the 'poor card' for so long that even when large and important parts of our game are crying out for us to be allowed to pay our players more, they are ignored. When other sports are outright telling us the problems the SC is causing we ignore them

We are a lowest common denominator sport, we are losing touch, our best players don't play in our league, we don't attract the best from other leagues, some of our best players don't even play our sport, the best from those sports certainly aren't coming over to RL. As much as people complain that paying players their market worth isn't sustainable, exploiting them clearly isn't sustainable either. People within the game are telling us so.

We have seen people from Wigan, Salford, Leeds, Huddersfield and Warrington all come out and say we can pay more, all complain that we are hamstrung by the SC, even the RFL are stating that players can be paid more.

We are setting up our entire competition, in its structure and its rules to cater to the lowest common denominator, we are entrenching mediocrity and then wondering why we are struggling.

If you want to know why the games standing and visibility is falling, its simple. We aren't a top league and we don't present ourselves as such, and we are doing next to nothing to make ourselves a top league.

People on here moan at 'knock off Nigel' selling the game short with low ticket prices, but we are like any product, we can either sell ourselves as a premium product, but that costs more to make, or we can use the cheapest raw materials and stack em high and sell em low.

as Jacky Lorenzetti said when spending basically the SL SC on Dan Carter "Carter will be the best-paid player at Racing but also the least expensive because of the economic benefits,"

none of this however changes the fact that the market should set the players wages, the should be able to sell their skills as british RL players for what they are worth. It should not be set by the clubs colluding to keep them low.

RankPostsTeam
International Star420
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Jan 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[color=#000000:2i8kkn1z]Hull FC [/color:2i8kkn1z], [color=#0000FF:2i8kkn1z]Parramatta[/color:2i8kkn1z] and [color=#0040FF:2i8kkn1z]New South Wales[/color:2i8kkn1z]:

I wouldn't be against a soft cap, which is for every £ or $ you spend over the cap, you have to give the same amount to the league who spreads the amount to every other team in the league. In principle I am in FAVOUR of a cap, as it obviously gives teams in the smaller markets a chance of winning the Grand Final. Where would Green Bay and Penrith be without a salary cap?

RankPostsTeam
International Star306No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2015Jul 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: SmokeyTA "Its less that I don't think they would ever buy a car again, but more likely, and more analogous with how you would respond to hull going under, and they would buy fewer.

There is strong brand loyalty in cars, many people will simply be 'upgrading' if that upgrade isn't there, they not buy a car for another 2 or 3 years. Obviously that's not as strong as in sports but sports isn't unique. in fact people being wedded to it being unique and ignoring basic business rules is often why clubs go bust.

interesting quotes from RU today,
"If the salary cap is left to forbid the required investment, it will kill any hope of growth."

“It is time to seize that opportunity, to ensure a level playing field in Europe, to build the strongest league in world rugby and to let players earn market-related salaries. We must release the handbrake and step on the accelerator.

“We understand some clubs fear the removal of the salary cap will cause wage inflation, yet in reality salaries are already being driven by the French clubs. We can either sit back and become a ‘lowest common denominator’ league, or we can leap forward.”

Even Nigel Wood has said, "Our elite teams need to be cut loose to be internationally competitive." When asked whether that meant a relaxation of the salary cap, which has remained at around £1.7m per club for several seasons, he said has been promoting the introduction of a marquee player allowance for a couple of years now"

and Gary Hetherington "We proposed this a few years ago and didn't get the support of enough clubs. But it's been brought up again by Marwan, and there are people at other clubs like Simon Moran at Warrington and Ken Davy at Huddersfield who have the private income to spend more than they are currently allowed without jeopardising the stability of their clubs."

Tony Smith ""I'm keen on anything that's going to raise the quality of our competition, and maybe also give us a bit of a wow factor," said Smith. "If a marquee player at each club is the best way to do that, great."

Clubs have sold the 'poor card' for so long that even when large and important parts of our game are crying out for us to be allowed to pay our players more, they are ignored. When other sports are outright telling us the problems the SC is causing we ignore them

We are a lowest common denominator sport, we are losing touch, our best players don't play in our league, we don't attract the best from other leagues, some of our best players don't even play our sport, the best from those sports certainly aren't coming over to RL. As much as people complain that paying players their market worth isn't sustainable, exploiting them clearly isn't sustainable either. People within the game are telling us so.

We have seen people from Wigan, Salford, Leeds, Huddersfield and Warrington all come out and say we can pay more, all complain that we are hamstrung by the SC, even the RFL are stating that players can be paid more.

We are setting up our entire competition, in its structure and its rules to cater to the lowest common denominator, we are entrenching mediocrity and then wondering why we are struggling.

If you want to know why the games standing and visibility is falling, its simple. We aren't a top league and we don't present ourselves as such, and we are doing next to nothing to make ourselves a top league.

People on here moan at 'knock off Nigel' selling the game short with low ticket prices, but we are like any product, we can either sell ourselves as a premium product, but that costs more to make, or we can use the cheapest raw materials and stack em high and sell em low.

as Jacky Lorenzetti said when spending basically the SL SC on Dan Carter "Carter will be the best-paid player at Racing but also the least expensive because of the economic benefits,"

none of this however changes the fact that the market should set the players wages, the should be able to sell their skills as british RL players for what they are worth. It should not be set by the clubs colluding to keep them low.'"

a few people on here have tried to explain the downfall of this view, so i wont try. i look forward to watching your vision of SL in 5 years time when salford have bought all the titles and everyone else is either bankrupt or on their way towards it. sounds like fun. cant wait to pay my money towards that....

171 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
171 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.12109375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
15m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Irregular Ho
38m