FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > After the horse has bolted!!
42 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
International Star91No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Magic Weekend at the Olympic Stadium would be a winner. The novelty value of it being in that stadium would draw large crowds from the north and curious Londoners, the Park itself is well served with facilities that would make it a great family day out, and there's plenty of (affordable) hotels in east London (not to mention great connections to the north via Kings Cross.

Of course, I fully expect the RU / NFL to do this first...

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17198
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9243.jpg
:9243.jpg

Stupid idea! We already have enough 'events' on the calendar with the expanded World Club Challenge, Magic Weekend, CC Final and Grand Final. The fans won't shell out for another long trip, and even for the bigger clubs losing a major home game would be a big blow to the finances.

I agree with the above that moving the Magic Weekend to the Olympic Stadium (once the retractable seats are in) would be a better option, it has great transport connections, a massive park to hold a fan-festival and aside from West Ham that side of London has few sporting attractions.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7392No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20337_1416501684.jpg
Mac out!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20337.jpg

NZ v Aus wasn't a sell out at the Stoop. Why do we think Wigan v Leeds, Sts, Hull would be bigger?

RankPostsTeam
International Star1011
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

As a Wigan fan and season ticket holder I would be massively p!55ed off if our home match vs Saints was played in London, unless the RFL laid on free transport, and that is assuming the idiots don't stage it on a weekday evening forcing me to take time off work if I wished to attend.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif
:12389.gif

Another 'expansion' game? Christ, RFL strategy reads like Groundhog Day at times. We've seen these 'one-off' 'on-the road' profile-raising games many times and they simply do not attract significant local interest, and neither do fans travel in great numbers. We turn up, play in front of a meagre crowd and go home.

What are the strategic goals for such a game? How will it be marketed? Who is the target audience? How will the goals be measured and what will the follow-up be?

Blake Solly could do with looking at the history books. They don't read particularly well for 'on-the-road' games. I'd much prefer we worked to strengthen the heartlands than wasting money on a one-off venture.

Never mind 'the horse has bolted'; the horse has died and Solly is flogging the poor beast into mincemeat.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member6734No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2021Jun 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3738_1390436317.gif
The referee's indecision is final:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3738.gif

Quote: tenerifeRhino "I'd rather the RFL be put some effort into getting Eng v NZ down to Wembley.'"

this makes more sense, even if at the emirates or stamford bridge instead of wembley

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach14082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9857_1341488583.jpg
WEST COAST PIRATES NRL expansion? Sometime soon, maybe......:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9857.jpg

A nines weekend would work in London if done very well but agree it needs to be part of a much bigger strategic approach, some hope!

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14845No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
143_1357419061.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_143.jpg

The only way any strategic development will occur here is if it is funded and organised by the NRL. They did recently announce they were in a strong position to plan for the future both in terms of development in Australia and internationally. Maybe they are driving another crack at London?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach14082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9857_1341488583.jpg
WEST COAST PIRATES NRL expansion? Sometime soon, maybe......:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9857.jpg

TBH if we were going to pick anywhere to spend some investment $'s I would think Wales would pay bigger dividends. I think the notion of having to have a team in London to attract sponsors, media profile etc is nonsense. Wales would produce much better jnr programs, more chance of a sustainable SL club and influence the International game more than London development. London is a very tough nut to crack and would need some very very deep pockets to have any hope. It would make the investment made in Melbourne annually ($4.6million) look like spare change.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4091No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2022Nov 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: tenerifeRhino "I'd rather the RFL be put some effort into getting Eng v NZ down to Wembley.'"

This

RankPostsTeam
International Star6No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2017Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Ferocious Aardvark "Nice to see some ambition and confidence in the game from RFL. Of course, we have within RL legions of naysayers, knockers and prophets of doom, and we have plenty of enemies and agents provocateurs too to rubbish and deride the game, though we generally do a good enough job of that ourselves. But you can't have it both ways; you can't whinge and whine at how parochial and narrow the game and its fan base is, yet whinge and moan when some effort is made to expand this. Although as this thread amply demonstrates, that is exactly the standard knee jerk of yer average flatcapper.

Look,if the RFL has such an ambition, then I say good luck to them, and they should get every support. It is their problem to find a way to do it and make it succeed, but they have shown it can be done, with events like the roving Magic weekends, a moveable GF, the astonishing crowds all over the place during the World Cup so don't carp and moan "it can't be done" - get behind the vision and hopefully be a part of its success.

This is completely different from the fact that until now, London has been in SL. They had plenty of RL and SL backing for many years but those running the club couldn't find a way to get people interested. That was their failure. they had support but the RFL couldn't do it for them. I can't believe the whinge that we "can't sell out Wembley" when in fact we regularly get crowds of 70,000 or 80,000 to see a RL game in London ie the CC Final, this should be a source of pride, not moronic knee jerk criticism. Compare with the 40,000 that paid to see the England national football team against Norway, just for instance. Or even 82000 for a World Cup qualifier against Slovenia last month. Only 4% more than were attracted to travel 200 miles for a local derby Leeds v Cas!

I despair of RL fans sometimes. The idea is a challenge, but a good one, and should be applauded and supported.'"

Quote: Ferocious Aardvark "

I don't have an issue with the idea and I applaud the ambition, particularly if the Olympic Stadium, Wembley or the Emirates are chosen but as ever the issue lay with the people implementing the idea. If they're thinking of staging it in 2016 they need to start pushing it now with a concerted effort going into getting the competing teams visiting the schools, youth centres and sports clubs around London.'"

I felt I had to make a contribution as I agree with FA and KK although I do understand where the more negative sentiments are coming from.

The objective has to be to make further progress in getting the game the recognition it deserves. If we think back to the launch of Super League, all the new style razzmatazz that entailed did serve the purpose (and has indeed been copied by the other code and other sports).

We have to think out of the box and avoid being afraid of working on something new. The traditionalists didn't like the Super League changes. And they might not like this. My vision is built on the view that Rugby League and its supporters have more in kind with soccer than the other code.

With regard to this new Super League proposal for a high profile on the road club match in London I really would like to see it at the Olympic Stadium once it is re-configured and become the home of West Ham United. Union is a bit of a West of London thing and we might get a groundswell of support more in the East.

I think the date of the match needs to be announced say 6 months ahead. A match at the Olympic Stadium would be an event in itself. But we need to get into the community early and publicise the event building up to a huge effort in the week before the match.

I would seek to work with West Ham and (say) Arsenal or maybe Spurs. My suggestion would be that it would be announced early that, on match day, let's say Wigan will play in West Ham colours and St Helens will play in Arsenal colours. Even better if we could get Arsene Wenger to lead out Saints along with Eamonn McManus and Sam Allardyce lead out Wigan with Ian Lenaghan. Season ticket holders of West Ham and Arsenal would be offered tickets for a fiver and all kids would be free. It only took 80 minutes of action in 1980 for Fulham soccer supporters at the inaugural Fulham match v Wigan to be won over to adopting their new rugby league heroes. Something similar could happen if West Ham supporters are lined up behind Wigan and Arsenal supporters behind Saints. It would really help a new audience get into the game a lot quicker. Plus this approach would allow targeted marketing rather than the expense of blanket advertising across Greater London.

I'm not saying that it would lead to a soccer club suddenly investing in setting up a rugby league club. But if London based neutrals could be enticed to such a top class match and enjoy getting into the game and supporting 'their' team for the day, there would be more chance of at least a proportion of them attending future RL in London. Whether that be Test matches at Wembley, a Nines or Challenge Cup Semi Final at the Emirates or more regular matches at the Olympic Stadium.

ccs
RankPostsTeam
International Star5318
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2022Aug 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Is Hodgson the new Griffin, or is it all about pace?:

Quote: Tim (not Street) "I felt I had to make a contribution as I agree with FA and KK although I do understand where the more negative sentiments are coming from.

The objective has to be to make further progress in getting the game the recognition it deserves. If we think back to the launch of Super League, all the new style razzmatazz that entailed did serve the purpose (and has indeed been copied by the other code and other sports).

We have to think out of the box and avoid being afraid of working on something new. The traditionalists didn't like the Super League changes. And they might not like this. My vision is built on the view that Rugby League and its supporters have more in kind with soccer than the other code.

With regard to this new Super League proposal for a high profile on the road club match in London I really would like to see it at the Olympic Stadium once it is re-configured and become the home of West Ham United. Union is a bit of a West of London thing and we might get a groundswell of support more in the East.

I think the date of the match needs to be announced say 6 months ahead. A match at the Olympic Stadium would be an event in itself. But we need to get into the community early and publicise the event building up to a huge effort in the week before the match.

I would seek to work with West Ham and (say) Arsenal or maybe Spurs. My suggestion would be that it would be announced early that, on match day, let's say Wigan will play in West Ham colours and St Helens will play in Arsenal colours. Even better if we could get Arsene Wenger to lead out Saints along with Eamonn McManus and Sam Allardyce lead out Wigan with Ian Lenaghan. Season ticket holders of West Ham and Arsenal would be offered tickets for a fiver and all kids would be free. It only took 80 minutes of action in 1980 for Fulham soccer supporters at the inaugural Fulham match v Wigan to be won over to adopting their new rugby league heroes. Something similar could happen if West Ham supporters are lined up behind Wigan and Arsenal supporters behind Saints. It would really help a new audience get into the game a lot quicker. Plus this approach would allow targeted marketing rather than the expense of blanket advertising across Greater London.

I'm not saying that it would lead to a soccer club suddenly investing in setting up a rugby league club. But if London based neutrals could be enticed to such a top class match and enjoy getting into the game and supporting 'their' team for the day, there would be more chance of at least a proportion of them attending future RL in London. Whether that be Test matches at Wembley, a Nines or Challenge Cup Semi Final at the Emirates or more regular matches at the Olympic Stadium.'"
A crazy concept which will achieve absolutely nothing, but what do I know? If I had a flat cap I'd be wearing it.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

I just don't think a league game will attract enough interest, both in terms of fans of the clubs involved making the trip and in getting Londoners interested.

Especially without London in SL it would make more sense to me to concentrate on the Cup Final and Internationals in London if we're trying to increase interest/support there. You don't need to be affiliated with a club or know much about the game to go and support England v Australia/NZ. Especially as we don't have club sides that have much resonance outside the heartlands bar maybe Wigan, although that is fading.

I think we should hold at least 1 international in London plus the Cup Final, I'd be tempted by potentially moving the Grand Final from Manchester to London if it can be guaranteed every year. Then concentrate on Manchester & Wales as our potential expansion areas. Have the Magic Weekend every year at Man City alongside really trying to attract Man City fans. I don't know if they have been doing but we should be offering very cheap deals to Man City fans for the Magic Weekend plus say a couple of free tickets to go and watch Salford.

London will only respond to big events like internationals and finals in my opinion.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1598
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

As a West Ham fan, I like the idea of having some international matches at our new ground

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14845No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
143_1357419061.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_143.jpg

Club RU has failed in London despite a history and access to blue chip sponsors. Why do people think RL can make it pay?

42 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
42 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.22119140625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
9m
Rumours thread
Dunkirk Spir
12m