FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > BT silly money. How does it affect us?
26 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1282No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2016Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Sky losing midweek football is not enough on it's own to effect us (a weekend sport) IMO - Be interesting to see how they react though.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1468
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 1970Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The Super League highlights program is on at 1:30pm on a Monday or Tuesday on BBC2, has been all last season, nationally..
Could be better but far improved than the 2am slot it had down here previously

RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain Build Bridges NOT Walls:1271.jpg

Quote: Clearwing "[iDepends whether you see Sky Sports as a stand-alone business or as a mechanism for convincing punters to by Sky's technology[/i. I worry that it is (or was) the latter and it's now served its purpose. Ten years ago I reckon Sky would have bought the Champions League rights almost regardless of cost. Bit by bit their sports portfolio is being eroded. I'm worried that RL won't have sufficient profile to attract a serious bid from BT and if it stays on Sky the amount they're prepared to pay won't increase and may decrease.'"

That though is also the position of BT, particularly at this embryonic stage of the channel.. Much depends on how 'big' they view RL as to how much value they are likely to put on the RL viewers and the value of the wider collateral benefits they might bring. To be honest it leaves us in very choppy waters imo.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

Sky are moving away from live sport and spending more on original comedy and drama.

The likelihood is that they won't put up too much of a struggle to keep hold of anything other than their crown jewel events (Premier League football and international cricket).

There's certainly no chance they would want to get into a bidding war to keep hold of SL rights if BT Sport did come knocking, so there's little chance of the RFL being able to turn it into an auction to get more money from the highest bidder.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3853
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53838_1362327793.jpg
And so you aim towards the sky, And you'll rise high today, Fly away, Far away, Far from pain....:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_53838.jpg

As usual, the loser in all this is the viewer, who ends up having to spend more money to follow any sports they are interested in.

Am I the only one who seriously wishes EVERY sports programme was a pay-per-view event, and so could actually pick what individual events I wanted to watch, rather than pay for a whole package and have sports I have no interest in (Golf and Darts being two off the top of my head)?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner14305
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7063.jpg
‎"They supercede individuals, they supercede the team and they supercede the club. Our club is a traditional, working class club and the supporters are loyal and passionate and to see them go away happy really makes my day." Craig Sandercock.:7063.jpg

Think when the next round of bids come in we could potentially have four bidders for SL. Premier Sports, ITV, BT & Sky sports. Could be very interesting.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach855No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Sky have literally nothing to show on most Tuesdays and Wednesdays now especially as you are not allowed to schedule domestic football on the same night as European football.

Expect midweek Super League to fill that void simply because there is very little else that could.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach855No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Sky have literally nothing to show on most Tuesdays and Wednesdays now especially as you are not allowed to schedule domestic football on the same night as European football.

Expect midweek Super League to fill that void simply because there is very little else that could.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

实事求是!:

Quote: declaration "Sky have literally nothing to show on most Tuesdays and Wednesdays now especially as you are not allowed to schedule domestic football on the same night as European football.

Expect midweek Super League to fill that void simply because there is very little else that could.'"

Thursday night SL, monday night SL, we already are doing that, pretty much.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

Quote: Dita's Slot Meter "As usual, the loser in all this is the viewer, who ends up having to spend more money to follow any sports they are interested in.

Am I the only one who seriously wishes EVERY sports programme was a pay-per-view event, and so could actually pick what individual events I wanted to watch, rather than pay for a whole package and have sports I have no interest in (Golf and Darts being two off the top of my head)?'"

If you have a decent PC and a reasonable internet connection, there is absolutely no need to subscribe to multiple live sports channels any more.

Plenty of reliable live streams of events out there online, you can watch anything that might be on ESPN, Premier or BT Sport without a subscription.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member12792
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1506.jpg
[quote:18jc6kzm]I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote:18jc6kzm]Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote="Jamie Jones-Buchanan":18jc6kzm]"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.[/quote:18jc6kzm]:1506.jpg

The Champions League deal will be great news for the Football League, as Sky will most likely use this (if anything) to fill the gap. Football League games happen on Champions League match nights anyway, so it is an easy option for both Sky and the FL.

I don't know where people have got this idea that ITV have suddenly gained an interest in rugby league. They've not shown any interest previously.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2531No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15455_1318246892.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15455.jpg

Quote: Andy Gilder "If you have a decent PC and a reasonable internet connection, there is absolutely no need to subscribe to multiple live sports channels any more.

Plenty of reliable live streams of events out there online, you can watch anything that might be on ESPN, Premier or BT Sport without a subscription.'"

Nice legal suggestion there: Andy

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach8487No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12205_1307822450.png
[img:32iwt8q2]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/fullyitfc/cas-4-1.jpg[/img:32iwt8q2]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_12205.png

Quote: bramleyrhino "The Champions League deal will be great news for the Football League, as Sky will most likely use this (if anything) to fill the gap. Football League games happen on Champions League match nights anyway, so it is an easy option for both Sky and the FL.

I don't know where people have got this idea that ITV have suddenly gained an interest in rugby league. They've not shown any interest previously.'"

If anything, ITV will look to squander their millions on Aviva Premiership games given that they already have the highlights.

Next bidding war will be in the Union. If Sky lose Union then it will be interesting to see if they hold on to league by pumping money in; or whether they'll just try and blow competition out the water by offering a ridiculous TV deal to other sports to try and keep a stranglehold on their rights.

I'd quite like BT to put in a bid, just to drive up the price even if they have no real interest in the rights.

Would it be worth the RFL splitting up games into blocks like the Premier League do with their TV rights? Get individual networks bidding on packages. Split up all the big games and mix them in with some less attractive games to make all packages worth bidding for and one play-off game, then have one specifically for derby games, then have one for Magic Weekend games.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

Fully - this is where the RFL need some real commercial grunt in the negotiation process. It won't make much difference if nobody wants SL, but packaging up the offering to TV channels correctly can make a big difference when there's the slightest competition.

I'd also be looking at leveraging into Australian free-to-air for full SL games. 7mate has been showing the WC here - and doing a pretty good job. If SL could get shown FTA, even at night, it would be worth far more than if its on Fox as a filler.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: LeedsDave "Nice legal suggestion there

Meh. No point getting on a moral high horse on behalf of the likes of Sky or BT, who would quite happily fleece you senseless if they could.

About as close to a victimless crime as you're ever going to get.

26 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
26 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.1962890625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
1m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
1m