JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8202.jpg
[url=//www.facebook.com/wellsmotors:2svvs5eg][img:2svvs5eg]//i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/wellsy13/Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg[/img:2svvs5eg][/url:2svvs5eg]:8202.jpg

Quote: bewareshadows "It's not the numbers being argued.

It's the technical description. Some people are insistant on counting games. But you can't count the number of games as some games have been merged into one event.

If there was no double header, we have no way of knowing how many would turn up to the England match and the Wales match separately. Some would have attended both and so would have been counted twice others would not. So it's pointless to count the attendance at both games.

I understand why it's done, but trying to do it is in effect futile.

It is better to call it a Rugby event count the attendance once. It's an acurate description. It's a rugby event, if there had been 2/3 or 4 games it's still one event on one day.

I'm not comparing to other codes, sure if they count twice then we must, when comparing to other codes. But when comparing to other RLWC's with no double headers, you can't just count the number of games, you have to talk about the number of events. If there were only 16 events at previous WC's the fact they are single games, means that comparing this WC with double headers does not work. The closest you can get is counting double headers as one event and dividing by the number of events, dividing by the number of games becomes meaningless.

in the end it does not matter as all the events so far have been fabulously attended.'"

Again, well said.

There is a complete failure in the methodology if anyone tries to compare 30,000 attending two Magic Weekend days each, calling that 210,000 aggregate attendees (which is what you're doing if you say 30,000 attended each game) and saying that that's an increase on if 20,000 attending 7 SL games for a total of 140,000. The two just aren't comparable that way and paints a completely false picture.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Wellsy13 "Where?'"
by excluding a game from your results

Quote: Wellsy13 "4 attendances at 4 events have been given.'"
no, 5 attendances at 5 games have been given. If you like i can show you them if you like..

Quote: Wellsy13 "If you cannot tell the difference between one event and one game, there is not hope for you here. You can try and divert the argument all you like by mocking a strawman, all it is doing is showing how desperate you are to find a way to win an argument you're losing.'"
I can tell the difference between 1 game and 1 event. I have not at any stage failed to differentiate them .

Quote: Wellsy13 "You can keep repeating that 45,052 attended both games all you like. It just doesn't make it true!'"
This is correct. The fact it happened is what makes it true.

Quote: Wellsy13 "I wouldn't say I have one chicken nugget if I had six. Just like I wouldn't say I attended two games if I attended one. And just like I wouldn't say 45,052 attended one game and 45,052 attended another game if I know for a fact that thousands left.'"
So what if people left? People leave many games early, they are counted. Some don’t turn up, they are counted.

Quote: Wellsy13 "If they didn't know how many I'd eaten, they wouldn't assume I'd eaten six just because I have a box of six. There'd be a complete and utter failure in the methodology. Just like there is a complete and utter failure in your methodology that 45,052 was the event attendance which means 45,052 attended game one and 45,052 attended game two. There is a huge flaw in the logic, and that is there weren't 45,052 people in attendance at game two!'"
Why are you only questioning one reported attendance and not the other 3? If we accept that the reported attendances are correct we accept they are all correct. If we don’t accept they are correct we can’t trust any of them.

Im working with the reported figures. Conspiracy theories about inflation of figures are the property of the trolls and morons.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1053No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1359.jpg
:1359.jpg

Some people are being stupid.

An average of the attendances is calculated by adding all of the official attendance scores up and dividing by the number of games.

All that matters is the official attendance score. Like complaining about a try scored from a possible forward pass, it doesn't actually matter if you disagree with the official account, that account stands and your opinion is only an opinion.

As the official attendance for England v Australia is 45,052 and the official attendance for Wales v Italy is 45,052 then the average attendance for the first 5 games would be:
(45,052 + 45,052 + 13,965 + 7,481 + 8,872 ) / 5

Giving an average attendance of: 24,084.4

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: bewareshadows "It's not the numbers being argued.

It's the technical description. Some people are insistant on counting games. But you can't count the number of games as some games have been merged into one event.

If there was no double header, we have no way of knowing how many would turn up to the England match and the Wales match separately. Some would have attended both and so would have been counted twice others would not. So it's pointless to count the attendance at both games.

I understand why it's done, but trying to do it is in effect futile.

It is better to call it a Rugby event count the attendance once. It's an acurate description. It's a rugby event, if there had been 2/3 or 4 games it's still one event on one day.

I'm not comparing to other codes, sure if they count twice then we must, when comparing to other codes. But when comparing to other RLWC's with no double headers, you can't just count the number of games, you have to talk about the number of events. If there were only 16 events at previous WC's the fact they are single games, means that comparing this WC with double headers does not work. The closest you can get is counting double headers as one event and dividing by the number of events, dividing by the number of games becomes meaningless.

in the end it does not matter as all the events so far have been fabulously attended.'"

Your problem is that a like for like comparison with other tournaments on ‘averages’ is meaningless anyway because of the difference in format, more people could attend every game in this WC and we still end up with a lower average because of the structure in the tournament. So if we are going to get an average we should use the actual average i.e all the people who attended divided by all the games which were played.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member13535No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3357_1596183529.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3357.jpg

there is no other way to get an average attendance than divided the attendance for each game bu the number of games, I cannot believe any one is questioning that?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3479
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11388_1517050763.jpg
[quote="Gotcha in 2016":12w08s93]McDermott is going. I actually think he is more relaxed because of it, and seems to have let the shackles go. He apparently asked to finish the season, and that is what they agreed.[/quote:12w08s93] :lol: :lol: :lol::d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11388.jpg

Have you really not got anything better to do than plait fog on here all day?
Same few people on every single thread just boring the living **** out of everyone.

I don't post much at all but i used to read this forum every day, often several times a day. In the last few weeks that's become once every few days and for much less time meaning less advertising revenue for RLFans.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner10000No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8202.jpg
[url=//www.facebook.com/wellsmotors:2svvs5eg][img:2svvs5eg]//i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/wellsy13/Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg[/img:2svvs5eg][/url:2svvs5eg]:8202.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "No, im not assuming anything. Im saying that becaue 45k were sold thats the figure we use. People who didnt bother to turn up, those who got lost on the way, those got up to get a pie are irrelevant. We dont discount them from any other game, why would we for this? '"

Not every event counts tickets sold in the attendances. It's not standard practice.
To be an attendee, the definition lends itself to suggest you should actually have to attend! If you're not in attendance, you're not an attendee, and if someone says that you are then they are lying.

Quote: SmokeyTA "No, there are two data-sets. Here is a match report on the wales game giving the attendance for the Wales game. And both attendances are for one event.

Quote: SmokeyTA "im not spinning anything. Im all those reported to have attended the games and dividing them by all the games played. It is you who needs to 'merge' games to make them fit. '"

Because they are one event. Saying they are two separate attendances is lying.

Quote: SmokeyTA "Erm, because the amount of tickets sold is often dependent on when, where and who is playing.'"

Yet none of them have anything to do with the process of counting the attendance to create a statistic, so it is irrelevant to the process. As is the weather, if Jupiter has aligned with Mars or if it's a leap year.

Quote: SmokeyTA "Nobody but you, gutterfax and William Eve is trying to skew the statistics. Nearly everyone else is simply taking all those who attended the games and dividing it by the games played. '"

You're saying that nearly everyone are the people that agree with you? Hmm...
You are trying to skew the attendance in the exact opposite way to William and Gutterfax. You're all wrong.

Quote: SmokeyTA "It isn’t fiction. 45k attended game 1. 45k attended game 2. If you have any evidence to the contrary provide it. '"

The people sat behind me left after game one. Would you like a picture of their empty chair?

Quote: SmokeyTA "So now you are trying to move your argument on to saying these people shouldn’t be counted because even though they bought tickets they weren’t there. Why haven’t you done the same for any other games? Some may have not turned up or left early at other games. Season ticket holders are counted even if they don’t turn up. Why are you treating this differently?'"

If they attended the game and left early, they still attended the game. So again, irrelevant.
It's not standard practice to count season ticket holders. Some places do, some don't. I don't agree with it. You should have to be in attendance to be counted as the attendance. That's why it's called that!

People didn't have the choice of buying a ticket for one match, so to count their attendance for both games would be completely inaccurate statistic and show nothing.

Quote: SmokeyTA "so you are you trying to say the average attendance for MM was around 8k? you’re a moron if so.'"

If you think that's what I'm trying to say then you're a moron.
You can't work out the average for MW because you don't know how many were in attendance at each match. You only have the overall event attendance for each day. I honestly can't make it any clearer. You're either being too stubborn to admit that, being difficult for the sake of being difficult, or you're a bit simple.

Quote: SmokeyTA "30k bought a ticket to match 1. 30k bought a ticket to match 2, 30k bought a ticket to match 3 and 30k bought a ticket to match 4. That they bought them as one is irrelevant, that they may have left is irrelevant. The same principle applies to MM and the double header as it does to every other match. If you buy a ticket and get lost on the way, decide not to go, leave half way through. Doesn’t matter. You count. '"

I'd say that it's pretty damn relevant that you are in attendance to be counted on the attendance!

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner10000No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8202.jpg

Let's say London Broncos decide to sell me 12,000 tickets at the Stoop for £1.
For some reason, I can't sell many of them on. 2,000 people go through the turnstiles to watch the game.

Is the attendance 12,000?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner10000No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8202.jpg

Quote: django "Some people are being stupid.

An average of the attendances is calculated by adding all of the official attendance scores up and dividing by the number of games.

All that matters is the official attendance score. Like complaining about a try scored from a possible forward pass, it doesn't actually matter if you disagree with the official account, that account stands and your opinion is only an opinion.

As the official attendance for England v Australia is 45,052 and the official attendance for Wales v Italy is 45,052 then the average attendance for the first 5 games would be
So you would include a 210,000 aggregate attendance from the Magic Weekend into working out the Super League average attendance?

Regardless, whether you do it or not, or whether it's the official way or not, doesn't mean it's right.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Wellsy13 "Not every event counts tickets sold in the attendances. It's not standard practice.
To be an attendee, the definition lends itself to suggest you should actually have to attend! If you're not in attendance, you're not an attendee, and if someone says that you are then they are lying.'"
Every other game in the RLWC has used the same principle. Why would we change it just for this game?
Quote: Wellsy13 "And both attendances are for one event.'"
Yes, both. I.e TWO. You are almost there. Keep trying.
Quote: Wellsy13 "
Because they are one event. Saying they are two separate attendances is lying.'"
Why would sporting life lie about it? You are getting like AP now where anything reported that doesn’t fit your bias is a lie. The RFL are liars, the BBC are liars, the RFU when they do it are liars. You sound like a child.

Quote: Wellsy13 "Yet none of them have anything to do with the process of counting the attendance to create a statistic, so it is irrelevant to the process. As is the weather, if Jupiter has aligned with Mars or if it's a leap year.'"
You seem to have forgotten the context in which that comment was made which is in relation to comparing like for like. I was saying we aren’t comparing like for like, we are comparing different games, between different teams, in a different location at a different time in a tournament with a different structure.

Quote: Wellsy13 "You're saying that nearly everyone are the people that agree with you? Hmm...
You are trying to skew the attendance in the exact opposite way to William and Gutterfax. You're all wrong.'"
Everyone is wrong, everyone is a liar. Are you going to stamp your feet next?

Quote: Wellsy13 "The people sat behind me left after game one. Would you like a picture of their empty chair?'"
Unless you are going to do the same investigation into the reported attendance of all 28 games then no, it is irrelevant.

Quote: Wellsy13 "If they attended the game and left early, they still attended the game. So again, irrelevant.
It's not standard practice to count season ticket holders. Some places do, some don't. I don't agree with it. You should have to be in attendance to be counted as the attendance. That's why it's called that!'"
It is standard practice, not just in sports but in any venue. If it a ticket as sold, whatever package it is sold from it is sold. It cannot be sold again. The money has been received. It is also the practice used in the last WC and the rest of this one.

Quote: Wellsy13 "People didn't have the choice of buying a ticket for one match, so to count their attendance for both games would be completely inaccurate statistic and show nothing.'"
Those who attended bought a ticket for both games. Why they did that doesn’t in any way effect the fact that they did that.

Quote: Wellsy13 "If you think that's what I'm trying to say then you're a moron.
You can't work out the average for MW because you don't know how many were in attendance at each match. You only have the overall event attendance for each day. I honestly can't make it any clearer. You're either being too stubborn to admit that, being difficult for the sake of being difficult, or you're a bit simple.'"
We can, very easily work out the average attendance for MM. Take the cumulative reported attendances and divide it by the number of games. That’s how you find an average.

Quote: Wellsy13 "I'd say that it's pretty damn relevant that you are in attendance to be counted on the attendance!'"
But seemingly only for this game. Not every other game that has ever been played (bar MM for some reason) If you want to use that principle then you need to use it for every game. So before you put any trust in any of the 3 other figures being reported you will need to do you, Billy and Gutterfax can sit, watch a replay of the game and try and count every single person there, remembering to factor in those who went for a pie/wee etc.

Quote: Wellsy13 "Keep saying it. Eventually it might come true...'"
Surprisingly enough, im not the sporting life website.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Wellsy13 "So you would include a 210,000 aggregate attendance from the Magic Weekend into working out the Super League average attendance?

Regardless, whether you do it or not, or whether it's the official way or not, doesn't mean it's right.'"

Yes, what seem to forget is that figure would then be divided by 7 before being included in the averages of each club. If you didn’t you would be saying that the attendance for that game was 8k, when it was 30k.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2164No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2014Dec 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

In the words of the great Monty Python team “is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?”

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4908
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28490_1361478234.jpg
JOHNNY WHITELEY - A TRUE RUGBY LEAGUE LEGEND:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28490.jpg

As anyone got any aspirins??

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner10000No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8202.jpg

Anyways. I've had my say. Some people agree, some people disagree.

To summarise my standpoint:
To be counted in the attendance, you should actually have to be in attendance.

Using the attendance of one event to mean the same as the attendance at both games is incorrect because people leave before or arrive after certain games and are therefore not always in attendances (see above).

Aggregating your attendance at one event to being the same as two games and summing it up with events with only one game is a completely and utterly flawed methodology and proves nothing so it shouldn't be done. Yes you are technically in attendance at two games, but it is not a like-for-like comparison. If you want to do this, it is even more pointless to pretend that the number of people in overall attendance of an event is the same as for each game, therefore making an even greater statistically incorrect statement.

I'll let someone else have a go!

(As for those complaining about this thread, it's not hard to avoid it, just like I avoid as many of the threads continually whinging about Nigel Wood and the RFL!)

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2797No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39978_1327618193.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39978.jpg

I've tried to explain that you cannot use the total attendance for a double header twice as the individual attendance for each game. I've also explained that you can't halve this figure and use it twice, either.

Again using Magic as a comparison. If you are working out the total average attendance of a full SL campaign, using Smokey's method this would add 210,000 to the cumulative total, when in reality it is 60k.

It is the same with this, if you take the 45k twice and say Wembley will get 75k, the total attendance figures would be inflated by 120k. The only fair way to average out this tournament is to take the total attendance from the 26 events and divide it by 26. This is the true average. It is not saying that 2 games did not occur, just that 4 games took place at 2 events.

I know people won't agree, but using any other method scews the final figures.

206 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
206 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.0380859375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Salford H Moved to Thursday
apollosghost
5m
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 27
rugbyleague8
12m