OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44480_1390845286.jpg
It's been fun.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44480.jpg

First of all i'm doing this before conersgiantsfan thread starter does

Would splitting SL in to two top divisions of 10 similar to NFL improve the national game ? Those top teams going in to a playoff system against each other at the end of the season

i mean currently we have 14 teams with 17 places in each team up for grabs

meaning 238 places up for grabs and limited quota rules

now with a split of two top leagues of 10, you

1) increase the teams from 14 to 20
2) increase the amount of NRL talent
3) decrease the amount of games in SL leaving room to expand elsewhere eg internationally, another domestic cup, etc etc
4) create an extra 102 playing spaces

There may be an arguement that we don't have enough quality to bring in an extra 6 teams BUT wouldn't the mixture of top Aussie pro's and with the top british pro's playing for these other teams because they may want to play for their own town team at some point not improve the guys who are playing in the NL.

Would it not improve the standards and depth of the british game ?
Initially no but with a little patience would it not be better in a few seasons time ?

Thoughts.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1869No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2018Apr 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51864_1312823830.gif
Just Win, Baby [b:38co1fbc]GIANTS RAIDERS TOFFEES[/b:38co1fbc]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51864.gif

Quote: Yed "First of all i'm doing this before conersgiantsfan thread starter does

Would splitting SL in to two top divisions of 10 similar to NFL improve the national game ? Those top teams going in to a playoff system against each other at the end of the season

3) decrease the amount of games in SL leaving room to expand elsewhere eg internationally, another domestic cup, etc etc

There may be an arguement that we don't have enough quality to bring in an extra 6 teams BUT wouldn't the mixture of top Aussie pro's and with the top british pro's playing for these other teams because they may want to play for their own town team at some point not improve the guys who are playing in the NL.

Initially no but with a little patience would it not be better in a few seasons time ?

Thoughts.'"

It's Conor thank you, and yes, probably it would.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach166No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2018Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/6137-4934Penguin_man1-msnicons.jpg
:icons077e_files/6137-4934Penguin_man1-msnicons.jpg

I think its the logical progression if the game is to expand with a solid financial grounding, forming conferences within super league europe, but i doubt we would see something this revolutionary within the RFL.

Minor leagues will pave the way for this kind of system I think, and once they improve, then forming a champions league type system.

Italy is prime for this right now, as is the AMNRL, Serbia, Ireland, Germany, lebanon, with them being new enough that old rivalries, bitterness and senses of entitlement would have no bearing on a strong governing body putting a solid financial package to run these leagues, smaller conferences reduce running and travelling costs, whilst boosting local(ish) rivalries, and a few games against new opponents each season thrown in adds spice. Less games means more oppurtunity for rep games, and with growing popularity, bigger crowds, as if there are only a certain number of oppurtunities to see your team a year, you are more likely to make the effort to go.

I now strongly believe that the future of our global game lies with the innovations of these new nations, and not with the old hierarchy in this country, where we have become a minority sport, commanding less and less of the big event status, as a result, spending the last 10 years trying to innovate to gain market share over rival sports.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: gnidir "I think its the logical progression if the game is to expand with a solid financial grounding, forming conferences within super league europe, but i doubt we would see something this revolutionary within the RFL.

Minor leagues will pave the way for this kind of system I think, and once they improve, then forming a champions league type system.

Italy is prime for this right now, as is the AMNRL, Serbia, Ireland, Germany, lebanon, with them being new enough that old rivalries, bitterness and senses of entitlement would have no bearing on a strong governing body putting a solid financial package to run these leagues, smaller conferences reduce running and travelling costs, whilst boosting local(ish) rivalries, and a few games against new opponents each season thrown in adds spice. Less games means more oppurtunity for rep games, and with growing popularity, bigger crowds, as if there are only a certain number of oppurtunities to see your team a year, you are more likely to make the effort to go.

I now strongly believe that the future of our global game lies with the innovations of these new nations, and not with the old hierarchy in this country, where we have become a minority sport, commanding less and less of the big event status, as a result, spending the last 10 years trying to innovate to gain market share over rival sports.'"

One of the biggest loads of garbage ever posted , the o/p was reffering to short term growth within this country and with mostly existing clubs

A ' Champions league situation ' , with Serbia,Germany, Lebanon and Italy

You need to stop smoking those funny cigs

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22320No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23521.jpg
[quote="Tarquin Fuego":3e09qe5x] I love Jamie and have done since he was 10 years old. [/quote:3e09qe5x] [quote="The Reason":3e09qe5x]Hi Andy The Rugby Football League are in the process of reviewing the video that you are referring to. We do not condone behaviour of this nature and have contacted the player’s employer, Hull F.C., who have confirmed that they are dealing with the incident under their club rules.     Regards,   Matthew[/quote:3e09qe5x]:23521.jpg

Increase the NRL talent?

What about increasing the British players? Why do we think weakening the NRL would help?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: Yed "First of all i'm doing this before conersgiantsfan thread starter does

Thoughts.'"

Despite the probablility that a system like this [ if done within the next 9/12 years ] would result in Leigh in SL , I dont think it is the way forward , yes financially it would provide more derby games that should in theory make us all more money allowing for a reduction in games , therefore giving time for rep games of one sort or another

I would still prefer a two tier situation with unequal funding but allowing full time squads and P and R

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach155No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2011Dec 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50267_1287613673.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50267.jpg

Quote: Yed "snip'"

Ah, the old 'massivley reduce each teams income from sky, even as most teams run at a loss, spending less than teh salary cap, whilst simultaneously hugely weakening the strength of the average team, and thus the intesnsity of the matches, at a time when england already dont have a cat in hells chance of winning a major tournament' plan... sounds like possibly the worst idea ever if you ask me.

Knowing the RFL, they are probably considering it. As we speak they are probably ringing round random football and union teams in far flung desitnations in europe, miles form anyone who actually gives a toss about RL, trying to see if they can make it happen, without having to bother letting in any proper rugby teams into the expanded league icon_rolleyes.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5558No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Games/PDT_003.gif
:Games/PDT_003.gif

Nail on t'head. Any changes like this would have to be approved by SLE (who, on a separate note, no doubt voted in the three year fixed licenses in the first place) which is run by all fourteen clubs, therefore it is unlikely to happen.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1419No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41801_1347868969.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_41801.png

If this was done (doubtful) I don't think a complete split would be the best way forward - who would want to lose St.Helens/Wigan/Warrington vs Leeds/Bradford/Huddersfield/Hull/HullKR etc matches to play poorer quality matches (albeit closer ones). 20 teams is far, far too many. Maybe in a few more years 16 might be a possibility, and a split into 2x8 may be possible.

With 2 leagues of 8, H/A matches against your other 7 and a single match against each from the other league gives a more sensible (imo) number of games a year at 22 (plus CC, playoffs and internationals). It would also match our 4 tiered playoff structure (1st=2nd, 3=4, 5=6, 7=icon_cool.gif which would be divided into the top 4 from each league.

Just my thoughts, I don't think I would mind it following that path rather than just reducing the number of fixtures on a random basis, which will have to happen at some point (like the NRL) if players keep complaining about burnout.

EDIT: But naturally if the teams are the ones voting things in, only the short term goals that benefit the existing franchises will be selected.

tb
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman48326
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1357.jpg
[b:34xc0vwf]Doubt everything, even this[/b:34xc0vwf]:1357.jpg

Thoughts.'"

It woudn't work for one simple reason: there aren't 20 clubs that are capable of putting together a full time professional outfit*. IMO there are currently at most two clubs outside SL with that immediate potential - and of course some recent events (including but not limited to Wrexham and Wakefield) may lead some to argue that there aren't 14 club in SL atm capable of being run as full time professional outfits.

* and that covers a lot more than just the first team squad.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach20628
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44480_1390845286.jpg

Quote: tb "It woudn't work for one simple reason

I know that there aren't 20 teams up to standard but do you think it would bring up those clubs that aren't up to standard a lot quicker than it would now ?

The improved gate receipts, interest, tv monies would bring in more money to invest in the club as a whole surely ?

tb
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman48326
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1357.jpg
[b:34xc0vwf]Doubt everything, even this[/b:34xc0vwf]:1357.jpg

Just to check: you're not really arguing that the way to get clubs which aren't capable of running a full-time professional operation ready to run a full-time professional operation is to get them to run full-time professional operation while they're not ready to run full-time professional operation? Are you?

If so, why stop at 20? Let's have everyone from Saints to Skolars operating in a full time professional comp, with all the associated costs, on the grounds that they will eventually be capable of operating in a full time professional comp (unless they go bust first, of course)

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach20628
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44480_1390845286.jpg

Quote: tb "Just to check

How do you improve them then if throwing etra money at them isn't the answer ?

Most of the clubs in the championship have been a top flight club at some point in their history

Finding 6 more clubs
Featherstone, Widnes, Leigh, Barrow, Halifax, Sheffield

I'm not going to argue with you because i don't doubt you know how this works better than i do but how much more does it differ from a few years back when most of those teams were top tier clubs. They still run a match day, the only difference i can see is the logistics of extra numbers in the ground ?

RankPostsTeam
International Star420No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2013Jul 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Yed "
Would splitting SL in to two top divisions of 10 similar to NFL improve the national game ?
No

No

No
'"

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Thoughts.'"

I get where your coming from but I don't get how it would improve OUR national game when

Quote: Yed "mixture of top Aussie pro's and with the top british pro's'"

Now I know you said mixture of both, so please don't take my point in the way that I have completely dismissed that.

However, surely having this to improve our national game would include having more British players than Aussie's/Kiwi's? Say the RFL did this and for arguments sake, Workington Town, Barrow Raiders and London Skolars (a bit of a weird pick but they were the first teams to come to mind strangely) were chosen to go into a tier, now at current strength they are nowhere near SL standard. So what's the first thing they do? Raid the NRL for fringe players, all have squads jam packed with Aussies and Kiwis, maybe a few British players thrown in there. For me that doesn't in anyway shape or form boost our national game.

Quote: Yed "Initially no but with a little patience would it not be better in a few seasons time ?'"

The two tier system works in the NFL;

A. because Gridiron is one of the "Big 5" (along with Baseball, Basketball, Ice Hockey and arguably Soccer) so therefore the talent pool is huge. Then look at RL at home, and our talent pool is mainly up North. Although it is growing down South.

B. The size of America itself. The distance between the NFL teams is huge, therefore putting teams in a close(ish) region in a league makes sense rather than have New York v Texas (not a clue on any NFL teams so that'll have to do icon_lol.gif ) Where as in England it's easy to go to ground's around the country.

I don't think what you've 'proposed' is a bad idea, it's just IMHO it just will never ever work unless RL is spread accross Europe and played all over at a very high standard. Then something like this would definately work, although if RL accross Europe was strong I'm sure we'd have a RL version of the Heineken (sp?) Cup.

28 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
28 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.322265625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
Lord Tony Sm
32m
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Lower Crease
43m