FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Junior Rugby League - How Popular?
23 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
International Star15No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2014Sep 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72873_1406759917.jpg
[b:3c6en1lp]RUGBY LEAGUE SECRETS!!![/b:3c6en1lp] [u:3c6en1lp]Download the FREE manual below. See what the Professionals do.....[/u:3c6en1lp] [url=http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/johnstankevitch/media/red-arrow-down_zps1486e8ba.png.html:3c6en1lp][img:3c6en1lp]http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t428/johnstankevitch/red-arrow-down_zps1486e8ba.png[/img:3c6en1lp][/url:3c6en1lp] Click Here...[url:3c6en1lp]http://bit.ly/YOiOX7[/url:3c6en1lp].....[b:3c6en1lp]DOWNLOAD NOW[/b:3c6en1lp]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_72873.jpg

I've recently commented on a topic on another forum regarding the number of Amateur/Community players playing the game (at Open Age level) and the number of teams that are playing the game. Take for example, the amateur game in Widnes, where a few years ago, the 'Widnes Cup' was entered by as many as 8 teams from the town. Now, the local competition is struggling to attract 4 teams, and those teams are struggling to find players.

Anyway, there are numerous reasons why teams are struggling to field teams and why players are no longer playing the game, but I'm involved right at the start, at U7s level (School Year 2) and it's quite interesting to see that in a 'Rugby town' such as Widnes, there are only 3 clubs that are able to field U7's teams, namely West Bank Bears, Halton Farnworth Hornets and Widnes Moorfield.

I'm coaching one of those sides myself and we only have 11 players that are Year 2 (lucky, because we only play 9 a side) and I know that the other two teams only have similar numbers, totaling about 35 x Year 2 players in the whole of the town.

Now, I appreciate that at that age, they are still pretty young, but all the same, I still think it's a pretty startling statistic.

We are of course, looking to get more kids involved in the game and I'd be interested to hear peoples opinions on why the numbers are so low, and whether in your town the numbers are similar, and of course any solutions that you may have to increase the involvement.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member43413
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3614_1281651917.jpg
[url:2qyny6du]https://twitter.com/Mr_Hutchie[/url:2qyny6du] [b:2qyny6du]@Mr_Hutchie[/b:2qyny6du] [url:2qyny6du]http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/hullwykearlfc/[/url:2qyny6du]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3614.jpg

Playing numbers and drop out levels are a major concern and if we don't get numbers into the game we lose a hell of a lot of funding, hence why the RTL are bigging up Touch rugby.

I can understand you frustration as I see a lot of teams over in the Hull area that struggle for numbers, a lot blame it on the move to summer rugby but I can't see how kids in the mini mod would enjoy or cope in winter seasons. The other problem is certain people will only take their kids to 'fashionable clubs' and even at a very young age I've known people go to certain teams as they think little jonny will have more chance of being the next big thing because of who they play for.

Also a lot of competition with football, rugby union and now boxing , if you have kids at multiple ages with varied interests or even the same but there training and playing days differ then it's a hard task for parents to manage and afford.

The RFL are trying new schemes and the Primary RL is the current flavour of the moment , but will this be the key to success? A fair bit of opposition to it as things stand, a lot of coaches don't believe in the non contact formats so I don't know how thus will fair and if it will increase participation.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50722.jpg

I was part of running a new club in West Yorkshire - we inherited one age group and had big plans to add more; but we couldn't attract coaches, administrators or players in sufficient numbers, despite trying a number of avenues. I was surprised how many schools were utterly disinterested (with the exception of one) and the lack of help from our Junior League and local professional club was notable; until the players reached U14, when the academy coaches came knocking.

For me, the youth and community game is propped up on the goodwill and dedication of a few volunteers, with funding (through what is nominally called sponsorship) from local businesses, usually with some connection to a player or parent at the club; furthermore, some of those volunteers, however well meaning, do more harm than good and that, together with the mostly unchecked foul and aggressive behaviour that is the norm on the touchlines of most junior games I've been involved in, make running a community club a not very edifying experience.

For me, there needs to be a massive rethink of how the community game is administered and managed; coaching needs to be standardised and overseen more robustly, on and off-field conduct needs to be taken more seriously, clubs need to be supported to fund and run themselves properly, and if at all possible, parents should be banned from the touchline on match days.

RankPostsTeam
International Star669No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2015Apr 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
70480_1365464240.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_70480.jpg

I've had some involvement with junior RL in Leeds & the Leeds Foundation.

They reach out and help all the clubs in the Leeds area, from coaching (Brian Mac holds masterclasses etc), to fundraising, events & touchline manager courses.

See more here: www.leedsrugbyfoundation.org/

I'm not sure how this compares to other foundations, but it's helped our club massively over the past year or so.

With regard to playing numbers, the Foundation have recently been running an initative to get as many clubs running an U8's (I think it was that age group) as possible. I'm sure in 2013 there were just 3 clubs and this year it had gone up to around 7.
I've had some involvement with junior RL in Leeds & the Leeds Foundation.

They reach out and help all the clubs in the Leeds area, from coaching (Brian Mac holds masterclasses etc), to fundraising, events & touchline manager courses.

See more here: www.leedsrugbyfoundation.org/

I'm not sure how this compares to other foundations, but it's helped our club massively over the past year or so.

With regard to playing numbers, the Foundation have recently been running an initative to get as many clubs running an U8's (I think it was that age group) as possible. I'm sure in 2013 there were just 3 clubs and this year it had gone up to around 7.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

From my own experiences both as a player and a coach -

There are a few reasons why amateur RL (from very young age all the way up to open age) isn't anywhere near as big as it should be.
Partly there's much more competition for people's time and attention. Especially at kids level we find kids dropping out often because their parents can't bring them due to work commitments at evenings and weekends. A big change from when I was a lad playing when the vast majority of parents worked "regular" hours.
Also there are a lot more one parent families, that lone parent has less time or is less willing to give up that time with their child.

But the biggest reason, in my opinion, is the aggressive, backward and parochial nature of many amateur clubs.
I stopped playing amateur RL when I reached 15 because of the atmosphere. I didn't want to fight, I didn't want to tackle high, I didn't like the atmosphere. I just wanted to have some fun playing the game I loved.
After a year or so I went to Union and thoroughly enjoyed it, playing for several years. If I hadn't been part of a family steeped in RL I'd probably be a Union rather than League fan right now.

As a coach we get several kids who are put off by the atmosphere at clubs. Just in the last couple of years I've had kids told not to go back because they were too small, that they're not good enough and should go to a "lesser" club, kids family members physically and verbally attacked on the sideline and numerous examples of aggressive and intimidating atmosphere at clubs. With reports of adult teams stood around the pitch drinking and swearing.

Whilst it can be difficult for a club to control all it's coach's or players actions, there are too many incidences of aggressive and intimidating behaviour at amateur clubs for the club officials to not be accountable for it.

I know of one club with a coach currently suspended allowing that person to continue coaching other age groups.

Unfortunately there are lots of people involved in amateur RL at all levels be it player, coach or official who need banning from the game.

Whilst there are issues at RFL/SL/Championship level of the game that means RL doesn't fulfil it's potential, I firmly believe the sports BIGGEST problem is the amateur game. It actively puts off participants, supporters and investors from becoming involved in the game.

Another final example of this, a lad I used to coach was at a Yorkshire amateur club, he eventually got sick of fights in games, u12's level mind, so he went to Union. He's now just got into some England Union scholarship programme.
Despite the fact that RL might have lost a potentially good player, RL has definitely lost a supporter.

Sorry for the rant, it just annoys me.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach352
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022Apr 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons1949_files/3085-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg
:icons1949_files/3085-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg

Get down to the Wigan St Judes rugby festival this Saturday if you're at a loose end and support Junior Rugby League.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5054
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72289_1398805144.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_72289.jpg

There's still BIG issues between different factions of the game
The Leagues don't cooperate with each other
BARLA competitions clash with RFL Junior competition and neither will compromise
Scholarships are viewed as a nuisance to the community clubs and I've heard Community coaches advising potential scholarship players not to play or train in scholarship or they'll be dropped from a community game.

Behaviour around the pitch is often atrocious with vile abuse and even physical threats aimed at kids not yet in their teens. I've actually seen a Touchline Manager sent from the touchline for threatening a 12 year old.

One of the major issues is when lads turn 14, there's a big drop in numbers as the switch from Saturdays to Sundays means they're asked to choose between football and Rugby.

There's very few examples of continuity between schools, Community Clubs and the pro game with no unified approach and a consistent message.

I'd like to see a unit/department set up to look at how all this could be improved

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach14082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9857_1341488583.jpg
WEST COAST PIRATES NRL expansion? Sometime soon, maybe......:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9857.jpg

Does the rfl produce participation numbers?

RankPostsTeam
International Star718No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: The Avenger "There's still BIG issues between different factions of the game
The Leagues don't cooperate with each other
BARLA competitions clash with RFL Junior competition and neither will compromise
Scholarships are viewed as a nuisance to the community clubs and I've heard Community coaches advising potential scholarship players not to play or train in scholarship or they'll be dropped from a community game.

Behaviour around the pitch is often atrocious with vile abuse and even physical threats aimed at kids not yet in their teens. I've actually seen a Touchline Manager sent from the touchline for threatening a 12 year old.

One of the major issues is when lads turn 14, there's a big drop in numbers as the switch from Saturdays to Sundays means they're asked to choose between football and Rugby.

There's very few examples of continuity between schools, Community Clubs and the pro game with no unified approach and a consistent message.

I'd like to see a unit/department set up to look at how all this could be improved'"

Nothing would put me off more than abusive swearing parents at the game.
My son plays under Nines, at each game both home and away there is an A Frame sign that says something along the lines of this...

Its Kids enjoying themselves
Its not the World Cup
Referees can make mistakes
Its not life and death, enjoy the game.
And a few other lines I can not remember.

If a parent starts swearing or carrying on the Parents around him pull him (or her) into line or the Game official comes over and gives him a polite warning. (if the warning is not heeded the Police can be called)

I guess if the majority are offensive its a lost cause.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach14082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9857_1341488583.jpg
WEST COAST PIRATES NRL expansion? Sometime soon, maybe......:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9857.jpg

Here in Oz parents who can't control their "enthusiasm" get a warning and if not heeded the child is booted from the club. Harsh but effective.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach254
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jan 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45393.jpg
:45393.jpg

I used to play amateur in Widnes as a kid for Lunts Heath from under-9s to under-16s back in the 90s and I stopped for similar reasons to Him (plus girls and parties!).

The majority of us played regularly for our Junior schools or at least regularly in games lessons. They was a healthy Junior School competition and I remember St Basil's, St Bede's, St John Fisher, Fairfield and Sims Cross all having strong sides.

I left Widnes not long after and when I visit I'm shocked that my nephews do not play at junior school whatsoever. I asked them why and they replied "we go to a family orientated school so Rugby isn't allowed" obviously quoting something they've been told by a teacher.

I don't have kids myself so was wondering if any Primary schools play rugby at all? It was certainly how we all got into it years ago.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5558No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Games/PDT_003.gif
:Games/PDT_003.gif

Quote: yossarian "I left Widnes not long after and when I visit I'm shocked that my nephews do not play at junior school whatsoever. I asked them why and they replied "we go to a family orientated school so Rugby isn't allowed" obviously quoting something they've been told by a teacher.'"

Is that right? I'm a bit baffled by that response.

Done in the right environment, junior sport is an excellent way of teaching children, not only athletic skills to keep them healthy, but also social skills like communication, teamwork, and character building. Social skills that can be used in a sporting context as well as within a family.

Back on topic, I think the demands of work, family and other important life aspects are beginning to get in the way of junior and open age Rugby League. As mentioned above, a lot more parents are being forced to work evenings and weekends, time that was traditionally set aside for social and leisure activities. I think rugby league is shooting itself in the foot when other activities can be far more appealing during the summer months (weddings, holidays, other family members(!) etc) which can be unavoidable and create a drop in playing numbers.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3614_1281651917.jpg
[url:2qyny6du]https://twitter.com/Mr_Hutchie[/url:2qyny6du] [b:2qyny6du]@Mr_Hutchie[/b:2qyny6du] [url:2qyny6du]http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/hullwykearlfc/[/url:2qyny6du]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3614.jpg

What days do your teams play. In Hull they are as follows and it works well for the Mini Mods

U6 , U7 and U8 on a Tuesday evening

U9 on a Weds evening

U10 on a Thursday evening

U11 upwards is Sundays

I know a lot of Yorkshire teams are all Saturdays (till U14?) please correct me if im wrong.

Easier for Hull teams to play week nights due to location, i know other leagues you have to travel a decent distance but not sure what age thats is from

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3614_1281651917.jpg

Quote: JB Down Under "Does the rfl produce participation numbers?'"

It does, i have some figures somewhere, will dig them out.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2024No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I seem to recall about a year ago RL was amongst a number of sports who had their funding reduced by Sport England due to a drop off in participants.

It certainly wasn't a problem unique to RL and somewhat pointed to a lack of sustainable rention following an increase in sport numbers post 2012 Olympics.

23 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
23 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.87646484375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
BP1
12m
Decision on the field
NSW
19m
Rumours thread
PopTart
26m
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
matt_wire
28m
Sam Burgess
Captain Hook
29m
Film game
Boss Hog
34m
Recruitment rumours and links
easyWire
39m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
45m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Sir Gregory
58m
Championship Awards
FIL
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
matt_wire
1m
Film game
Boss Hog
1m
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
1m
Sam Burgess
Captain Hook
1m
Questions for Ste Mills
JamieRobinso
2m
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
2m
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Vancouver Le
2m
Betting 2024
karetaker
2m
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
Mild Rover
3m
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Questions for Ste Mills
JamieRobinso
TODAY
Decision on the field
NSW
TODAY
matt_wire
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Listenup94
TODAY
Sam Burgess
Captain Hook
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
just_browny
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
TODAY
Championship Awards
FIL
TODAY
Season tickets
Hudd-Shay
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Vancouver Le
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
BarnsleyGull
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Howfenwire
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 3,333 80,13114,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
       Championship 2024-R29

15:00
York
17-10
Widnes
Half Time
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 5th Oct
CH
LIVE
York17-10Widnes
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 28 665 479 186 31
Widnes 27 561 485 76 30
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22