JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney/00004.gif
Huddersfield Giants 2013 over achievers Huddersfield Giants 2014 under achievers ??????????:disney/00004.gif

Says Tony Smith

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/41271778

Hard to,disagree with him.

The game is slowly dying.

No vision in the sport to develop it.

It is also a lot less attractive to watch.

All players just trying to milk penalties and make the game slow and uninteresting.

Rugby Union is getting miles ahead and actually watching Rl is becoming boring.

Still as long as HKR are back in SL and crowds will average 5oo more everything is rosy no problem that the game seems to be contracting ( at top flight level).

Any positives out there anyone can think of ?
Says Tony Smith

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/41271778

Hard to,disagree with him.

The game is slowly dying.

No vision in the sport to develop it.

It is also a lot less attractive to watch.

All players just trying to milk penalties and make the game slow and uninteresting.

Rugby Union is getting miles ahead and actually watching Rl is becoming boring.

Still as long as HKR are back in SL and crowds will average 5oo more everything is rosy no problem that the game seems to be contracting ( at top flight level).

Any positives out there anyone can think of ?

RankPostsTeam
International Star2363
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2022Aug 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

He's not sour then? Keep reading how we need expansion and the game is on its knees? For me it's more poor management RU has proper marketing and business men in charge.The Stobart debacle and devaluing of own product was criminal. I still love watching rugby league we have a great game but RU has took coaches and attacking structures from us and improved their product alongside long term planning of international game.Their world cup was very good alongside a great Lions tour. I think we cannot compete with them financially but our actual product is a good one. In my opinion club RU is poor fare at club level. That is our strength. We need a proper sports management team in and a clear professional business plan sharpish because this shower we have are not fit for purpose

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2418No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74893_1459005583.jpg
snaivooladniv eht fo thgim eht eraweb:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74893.jpg

Says little really , nothing specific , just randomly fed up with the sound of it

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6767No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG
The new young dynasty of super saints is coming to a ground near you. Welsby-Dodd-Simms-Eaves-Rizzelli, not Eastmond...the future is coming.:Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG

The game has been slowly dying now for the last 5 years, originally the product of the game was its best selling point but were other sports get premier sponsors we get Mushy Peas and Foxy Bingo. Salary Cap no longer competitive for quality players, poor officials conned by players who have been allowed the game to be a running wrestle match for long periods.

Lots of games pretty boring and always stop/start with the video refs prolonging games to nearly 2 hours which goes past the editorials time dead lines so not much in the nationals the next day. SKY not too bothered though.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain479
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Dec 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
75828_1489396305.jpg
Sponsoring Fitzpatrick's Coffee run since 2017...I used to post a lot, then I didn't:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_75828.jpg

Explains why he's always so blooming miserable all the time.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach10000No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8202.jpg
[url=//www.facebook.com/wellsmotors:2svvs5eg][img:2svvs5eg]//i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/wellsy13/Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg[/img:2svvs5eg][/url:2svvs5eg]:8202.jpg

The game has been dying since before I was born. I think people just need to get a bloody grip.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES????? £20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000. The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover. There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT::d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76030.jpg

Quote: Wellsy13 "The game has been dying since before I was born. I think people just need to get a bloody grip.'"

Ever since I started watching it I've heard little else other than the game is dying.....if it is, it's taking a long bloody time to do it!

We're at roughly the same number of fans as we had a decade ago and for all the structure changes and attempts at expansion, the core support in the league still comes from the main sides, with everyone else making up the numbers.
The game isn't dying...it's simply stagnating and the guys in charge are adept at making it seem like they're making changes and moving ahead, when in reality they're just rearranging the furniture.....a new look, but same furniture.

The biggest problem OFF THE PARK is the average age of our support. None of us are getting any younger and I suspect the average age at games is about 10 years up on a decade ago....if we want to grow we need to grow our audience and if we do that, then the corporates will follow.

ON THE PARK? We don't have a problem....we just need to figure out how to best market ourselves.......and to do that, the Furniture Re-arrangers need to go!

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain77
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
75232_1552394730.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_75232.jpg

The game is so slow nowadays with the stop/start from video refs it is becoming unwatchable. Even the most straight forward of tries are being referred to the video ref. Why?
The marketing of the game is truly abysmal. Most of my mates didn't have a clue the Challenge Cup final was on a couple of weeks ago and no doubt it will be the same for the Grand Final. It is such a shame.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3828
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18686.jpg
Heath, Wilson, Callaghan, Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron, May & BORIS (W.T.F.) It's Johnson!:18686.jpg

Less attractive!

Has he not watched Cas this year?

I'll have a pint of that Tony.

T.B.H. I wish in the forthcoming W.C, the England team would play the same expansive game that Cas have played all year, 'cause as sure as hell, we won't beat the Aussies at their own game.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach450No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2017Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26316.jpg
Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. - Graham Lowe:26316.jpg

It's never good is it when a bloke with smith's life in the game is saying what he's saying. But he's too long in the tooth to say it because he's sour about a job.

He wants rugby league to be run by people who have a bit of vision and can get us punching our weight commercially. Not a lot to ask. I'm not a Tony Smith 'fan' but I'd wager the guy's probably got a few decent ideas and the nouse to get it done.

So let him go to Union or wherever. He'll not be the first, or the last. Or... we give him a job. And if not him, find jobs for some of the other decent, intelligent people we've got in the game. Because what is sure to kill us at some point is letting our best people take everything they've given rugby league, and vice versa, somewhere else.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2862
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2017Dec 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47753_1430033772.jpg
JOHN THE REDBOY I have been a rovers fan all my life and my grandkids are as well:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47753.jpg

RankPostsTeam
International Star1977
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53798_1538737679.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_53798.jpeg

Its difficult to put a whole point on saying the game is dying. I totally agree with craighkr about the Stobart joke. It set the whole game back with no monetary input whatsoever and whoever arranged that debacle should have lost their job. The thing for me is look at the quality of the game from say 98-2007. The game for me was so much faster and I really think we had better players playing then than now. Yes the game is more even across the league which is fantastic but for me the end product isnt as good. We can't compete moneywise with the NRL and the longer it goes on the bigger the gap will become

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5480No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
187.jpg
[img:2penstlp]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5994/saints7sk.gif[/img:2penstlp] "...the biggest boor, the most opinionated pompous bigot that frequents these boards and he is NOT to be taken at all seriously. ":187.jpg

He's not wrong though. We're worse than stagnant, we're shrinking. If Catalans are relegated this year, we'll have the smallest geographical spread we've had since we went fully pro in 1996. In the last ten years, we've lost one of our very few big city clubs with >10k crowds in Bradford. We've lost out presence in the capital. We've lost our abortive Welsh venture. We've even shrunk the number of teams from 14 to 12, for even less variety. Meanwhile, quality on the pitch has taken a hammering with very few 'star' players, as our salary cap becomes further and further detached from the NRL and RU.

Some people will point to what's happening in the lower divisions as more positive. But the bottom line is that all but existing committed RL fans don't even notice the lower divisions, and don't care. Which is why an amazing story like Toronto has gone almost entirely unremarked in the national media. SL is the shop window of our sport, and the engine for everything else. People in the amateur game will tell you how grim it is out there now when it comes to attracting and retaining players - that's in no small part due to the failure of SL to showcase the game, and attract and inspire participation.

The rot began when Nigel Wood took over. Essentially, since then, all decisions about the structure and nature of the game seem to have been taken for the benefit of a handful of uncompetitive small-town clubs who demand a seat at the top table despite generating neither enough support nor enough interest to bring anything to that table:

- The salary cap is held down because those clubs can't reach it even as it is, and so clubs with more resources must let the game's better players go. I'm in favour of a cap to stop clubs spending themselves into bankruptcy, but in real terms, the cap is now so much lower than it was when introduced that it is now actively repelling talent. We are, at best, now a feeder competition for RU and the NRL.

- Promotion and relegation throws the whole lower reaches of the league into chaos as clubs focus on not finishing bottom this year, rather than building for the future. There's every chance that this year the same two clubs who swapped last year will swap again. But even if they don't, what was added to the league this year by swapping Hull KR for Leigh? What will be added next year by swapping Leigh or Widnes for Hull KR? Have those changes benefitted anyone outside those clubs? Did they bring a single extra pound in sponsorship income for the game?

We're in trouble. We are not offering a product enough people watch to attract sponsors, or interesting/exciting enough to inspire young people to play it. We can't keep hold of our shrinking number of better players, and our geographical footprint is contracting, inevitably taking media coverage with it. Meanwhile, we design our entire system to allow a handful of clubs which have never been competitive to bounce between the top of the championship and the bottom of super league, and then we financially cripple those clubs which could do better, to make sure they don't get too far ahead of those who cannot compete. All the while, we have a few clubs who could add excitement, new money, new areas and perhaps an entire new country, to the competition, but we place as many obstacles in their way as possible, because why would we want to attract the whole of bloody Canada, or our own capital city, or a huge new area in France, when we can swap Hull KR for Leigh again next year?

We need licensing back. We need a plan which is based on growing and developing, rather than managing decline. We need to move Nigel on and replace him with someone who can see further than the million pound game. We need to reverse what is in danger of becoming a terminal decline.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator3221No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13373_1293476827.jpg
"I need to be myself, I can't be no-one else":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_13373.jpg

The entertainment factor has pretty much gone from the sport, bar the one few games a season that are worth watching.

Intensity seems to have gone out of the derby matches (IMO), decision making taken away from the on field officials (or more scared to make a decision? I don't know), the changes in the rules over the years, the quality of players we are producing/keeping hold of, the lack of money in the game compared to RU or the NRL etc etc etc, are all contributing factors to what Smith says and probably what most fans honestly think about the support.

As has been said by others, the game isn't dying, but it has regressed and become stagnant and plodding along rather than becoming a progressive sport that new fans want to come and get involved in.

RankPostsTeam
Administrator21064
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 199925 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8589_1512921015.jpg
[img:rn9g3499]//forums.rlfans.com/images/sigbanner2.png[/img:rn9g3499]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_8589.jpg

Administrator

When you look at the league over the last 10 years I think the biggest factor is that we are not bringing over the better Aussie/Kiwis anymore, mainly due to the value of the pound to the aussie dollar.

If you look back through the great teams like Saints and Bradford and Wigan and Leeds over the past 20 years they have had a great many superb players.

Now we are stuck with not even the best English players as they play in the NRL, 10 years ago there were none there.

Essentially the SL has become a 2nd division league.

73 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
73 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.03955078125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
17m
Round 16 London Home
Emagdnim13
17m