Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13627.jpg
Z.N.A always in my heart.:13627.jpg

My apologies if this has already been said.

This bloke must be absolutely kicking himself. Why did someone not advise him that taking on Salford would be a massive money pit? Surely investing in a club like Hull FC who have their nice big stadium which with the right personnel and coach at the helm would be a massive draw for new fans (or old ones that have lost faith in the current regime) They would be looking at 15k plus crowds week in week out. They would legitimately be able to spend max salary cap and take their pick of a marquee signing.

A massive brain explosion by the Dr picking Salford just because they were cheap. There is a reason for this and the Maximum 4-5000 crowds whoever plays for them is this reason. Far too much competition in Manchester for this ever to work.

I have absolutely nothing against Salford and I really feel for their loyal fans of whom posts like this must really annoy. But if they are honest with themselves they can do nothing but agree. It was great that he saved them from oblivion but how much longer can he substantiate throwing good money after bad.

If and when he leaves Salford in the mire where do we think he may end up? Also would you want him at your club?

I think he would make a real difference at:

Hull FC- For reasons stated above
HKR - Big fan base, Decent size stadium with a great club history
Cas- Again a good fan base which would be greatly improved with a move to a new stadium. History not so good but a reputation for bringing good local lads through.
Wakefield- As above.

I have left out the big 4 and Catalan as they already have a fantastic structure in place with plenty of spare money to succeed without needing a 'sugar daddy'.

I assume I will get slaughtered by the Salford fans but I can assure you that there is no malice intended towards you personally in what I have said.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10530
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18919_1341147656.jpg
[quote="King Monkey":30st820n]Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good. At least he'd lose his virginity.[/quote:30st820n]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18919.jpg

Hull FC already have the messiah that is Adam Pearson at the helm, they don't need false prophets like the Dr interfering in their plans for RL immortality.

I personally hope Koucash can succeed with Salford, I think he's finally starting to realise he's got build them from the ground up.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Obviously it would have taken a much bigger amount to get the likes of Hull FC rather than Salford and as you say trying to break into a sporting market in Manchester, literally within sight of one of the biggest sports clubs in the world in Man Utd and very close to another 2 in Man City and Liverpool, is a massive challenge compared to taking a Hull FC with an already decent support base in a sporting market where RL is a significant presence.

However I don't think his choice of club was his big mistake. I'm actually delighted he bought Salford rather than another club as someone with his money is really the only way RL is ever going to gain a foothold in a major city like Manchester.

His big mistake(s), in my humble opinion, was assuming it was going to be a quick fix. That he'd throw a few million in to Salford, buy a load of top quality players and the crowds would come flooding in. He showed a massive lack of understanding of Rugby League and of the sporting market in Manchester.
He didn't understand that you can't just buy a top team in a couple of seasons, especially at a club in Salford's position at the time. Firstly, it's not like football where top players are available on transfers, you generally have to wait until their current contract runs out. Additionally, the environment at a club is very important to players. The top players want to be in a positive, professional environment and be in with a chance of winning things. Things like who the head coach and back room staff are are very important to attracting top players.
Getting Morley was a great move, but he needed another "iconic" player to build the team around and, crucially, a top head coach.

He also didn't understand the mentality of fans and spectators. He took the fans for granted in my opinion and thought they would come flooding back just because he'd said they were going to be brilliant. Crucially, by putting all the emphasis on the on-field performance it put huge pressure on the coaches and players to win and win well. When that, inevitably, didn't happen it was obviously a huge let down. Which sucked any momentum out of the club altogether.

He also seems to have fallen into the RL Club trick of thinking sticking a few signs up here and there is marketing. An RL club has to engage with its community to get people in. He needed to get a top notch marketing and commercial dept in (that's what transformed Leeds' finances) plus plough millions into a Salford Foundation that would send tens of people out to engage with local clubs, organisations and schools.

And obviously he needed to plough money into the youth setup. I understand that can't be transformed quickly but IIRC Salford scored a lowest score on facilities. That can be changed fairly quickly and should be. Salford's Academy should be the most professional in the country.

I'm delighted that Koukash is involved with the sport, but I wish he'd just calm down a bit and be more professional. Things like not paying players, sacking Noble & hiring Harris, massively hyping up average players, hugely criticising the players in public or in the dressing room etc etc added to the mistakes (in my opinion) he's made above have really held Salford back.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach200No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13627.jpg

This will probably get bumped in 4-5 years time when Salford Win the league or CC and the Salford faithful will mock me.

I don't care where he builds them from they still wont be able to attract the fan base they need to legally spend the full cap and afford a top marquee signing. Am I right in saying that they first need the turnover to be able to spend the cap and afford a marquee signing? Or are there ways around it?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5573
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Dec 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15409_1344596949.jpg
[color=#FF0000:cacsr76n]Born in Hope, live in hope - Salford RLFC.[/color:cacsr76n]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15409.jpg

As I said the other day we are a club that are suffering a slow and painful death or that's how I feel, no amount of money will save us. The Salford public won't get behind us and I don't blame them, as for the original post Salford have a rich history also but it counts for nothing the fact is it's a football mad city and years of rubbish have hindered any chance of getting people on board.

If I could go back in time I'd kick my 9 year old self in the face, years of misery.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5123
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60524_1510403940.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60524.jpg

The way he has treated Kevin Locke is terrible. Who would want to sign for Salford ? More players wanting out - who can blame them.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach200No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13627.jpg

I also feel Dr Koukash will have a positive influence in the game and agree with most things HIM says. Club chairman should be banned from making negative comments and airing their dirty washing on social media. It just comes across as very unprofessional. I still feel he wont be patient enough to wait the 6-7 years necessary to see the youth system bearing fruit.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5874No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13517.jpg
:13517.jpg

Wasn't it just purely circumstantial in how Marwan became involved with Salford?
IIRC they were the only club where the current owner wanted out around the time that Marwan and Nigel got chatting on that flight. I really don't think there was much more to it than that.
As for being warned about potentially losing money, who would be giving him a heads up? Big Nige? John Wilkinson? Not likely.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach200No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13627.jpg

That's possibly true Notus. What beggars belief is that such a renowned shrewd business man would take over a club with very little potential money wise when there were other clubs who would have suited him better. I do hope he sticks it out now and stands by his words because it would be a disaster for the loyal Salford fans if he didn't.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member12792
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1506.jpg
[quote:18jc6kzm]I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote:18jc6kzm]Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote="Jamie Jones-Buchanan":18jc6kzm]"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.[/quote:18jc6kzm]:1506.jpg

Koukash is a self-publicist, and there is nothing inherently wrong with that. He's certainly not unique in either sport of business in that regard and in many respects, he is the sort of character the sport has sometimes missed. Unfortunately, some of his actions and comments are extremely misguided.

What HIM says is pretty much on the money. Salford was never going to be anything but a long-term project and I think misunderstood the scale of Salford's issues and the nature of the sport.

I like Koukash. I think he says a lot of positive things about the sport and I'd much rather listen to someone like him talk passionately about the game than some moaning windbag like Neil Hudgell. But there is no doubting that he has made some catastrophically poor decisions and treated some people extremely badly in an attempt to get his way - Tony Puletua for one.

I hope Salford can work and I hope that Koukash can be a positive influence on the sport, but I suspect that he may run out of patience before that can happen.

EHW
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner8627
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
users/saintsold.gif
Forever in Rented Accomodation:users/saintsold.gif

Quote: Super cas "That's possibly true Notus. What beggars belief is that such a renowned shrewd business man would take over a club with very little potential money wise when there were other clubs who would have suited him better. I do hope he sticks it out now and stands by his words because it would be a disaster for the loyal Salford fans if he didn't.'"

Just because he is rich doesn't automatically mean he is a shrewd or even competent businessman. His public track record on running businesses in the UK certainly isn't great.

Anyway, having let people in for £5 he has now dropped his price even more and is going to let people in for free against Catalans.
www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... rd-9416755
Quote: Super cas "That's possibly true Notus. What beggars belief is that such a renowned shrewd business man would take over a club with very little potential money wise when there were other clubs who would have suited him better. I do hope he sticks it out now and stands by his words because it would be a disaster for the loyal Salford fans if he didn't.'"

Just because he is rich doesn't automatically mean he is a shrewd or even competent businessman. His public track record on running businesses in the UK certainly isn't great.

Anyway, having let people in for £5 he has now dropped his price even more and is going to let people in for free against Catalans.
www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... rd-9416755

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15762
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16032_1698179828.jpg
"[color=#800080:2tf4iz4f]BOHICA[/color:2tf4iz4f]":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16032.jpg

The guy is a complete tool. His rants are embarassing (albeit entertaining). IMO he came in with the expectation of throwing a few quid at the club and making them instantly successful. Like others have said, he is now realising that he needs to build the club up from the bottom and his treatment of players seems to be atrocious

I really dont think he will last until the end of next year and its the Salford fans I feel sorry for

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68548.jpg

Quote: Solly "As I said the other day we are a club that are suffering a slow and painful death or that's how I feel, no amount of money will save us. The Salford public won't get behind us and I don't blame them, as for the original post Salford have a rich history also but it counts for nothing the fact is it's a football mad city and years of rubbish have hindered any chance of getting people on board.

If I could go back in time I'd kick my 9 year old self in the face, years of misery.'"

The history of Rugby League in Liverpool I think backs up your point. Eventually Liverpool City/Highfield/Huyton/Runcorn died through a pitiful lack of support. I spent a few miserable Sunday afternoons at Alt Park in the 70s, where you parked your car at your peril. It just wasn't sustainable to have semi pro RL there.

I know the Doc lives in Haydock and has business interests in Liverpool and has ties to JM University where he lectured and got his doctorate from. I think he saw Salford as having the potential to attract massive crowds but he misunderstood the real roots of Rugby League - they are not in the big cities (Leeds apart).

Liverpool and Manchester are soccer mad cities. The Wigan and Saints lads go to Liverpool on the end of season 'Mad Monday' jaunts and never get recognised.

I like the Doc. I hope he succeeds. He may have to get away from that dreadful venue first though.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5573
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Dec 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15409_1344596949.jpg
[color=#FF0000:cacsr76n]Born in Hope, live in hope - Salford RLFC.[/color:cacsr76n]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15409.jpg

Yes the stadium is awful, the access is ridiculous for a professional sports stadium. There was a bad crash last Thursday just outside the ground if we were the game that night it would of had to of been postponed.

In this day and age that is ridiculous, add to the fact most of our support are from suburbs of Salford that have poor public transport links to Barton it really is god awful. I and many others will never warm to the place, no chance we will move anywhere else though.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68548.jpg

Quote: Solly "Yes the stadium is awful, the access is ridiculous for a professional sports stadium. There was a bad crash last Thursday just outside the ground if we were the game that night it would of had to of been postponed.

In this day and age that is ridiculous, add to the fact most of our support are from suburbs of Salford that have poor public transport links to Barton it really is god awful. I and many others will never warm to the place, no chance we will move anywhere else though.'"

I always like the Willows. I liked the fact that you could park your car for free a few minutes from the ground. The atmosphere was good and the facilities just fine.

56 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
56 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.6015625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
weaver93
Recent
Saints h
moto748
Recent
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
Zig
Recent
Cas
the-bearded-
Recent
Bradford
BigTime
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Shopping list for 2025
Cuddleclub
1m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
weaver93
1m
Bradford
BigTime
1m
Salford - Away
Riderofthepa
1m
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
Zig
1m
Lee Briers
karetaker
1m
Round 17 Warrington Away
Once were Lo
2m
TV games not Wire
lefty goldbl
3m
Bradford Away 140724
Trojan Horse
3m
Arthur In
Tex Rerp
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Wigan Warriors Extend League Lead with Derby Win
RLFANS News
TODAY
Toulouse game
REDWHITEANDB
TODAY
Ashton extends contract
chris2925
TODAY
Damel Diakhate
Eastern Wild
TODAY
Sackings
SFW
TODAY
Warrington Wolves Into Second With Win Over Leeds
RLFANS News
TODAY
Tonights game v Leeds
karetaker
TODAY
Watson toast
FIL
TODAY
Watson Been Stood Down
Deeeekos
TODAY
Watson gone
Jo Jumbuck
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Giants
doc999
TODAY
Just makes me laugh
Wildmoggy
TODAY
Anyone know about wfd v batley
Redscat
TODAY
Bradford
BigTime
TODAY
One more Saints inspired novel
glee
TODAY
Bradford Away 140724
Trojan Horse
TODAY
Fax v Fev
The Phantom
TODAY
Cas
the-bearded-
TODAY
Round 17 Warrington Away
Once were Lo
TODAY
Saints h
moto748
TODAY
For the live of god Arthur out
christopher
TODAY
Arthur In
Tex Rerp
TODAY
Wakefield H
Bullseye
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wigan Warriors Extend League L..
Warrington Wolves Into Second ..
Salford Hold On To Beat Unluck..
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M 2,902 80,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
08:30
Gold Coast
v
Parramatta
10:35
Brisbane
v
St.George
     Womens Super League 2024-R8
12:00
York V
v
FeatherstoneW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
15:00
Hull FC
v
Hull KR
Leigh
v
Huddersfield
       Championship 2024-R15
Whitehaven
v
Toulouse
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
17:30
Catalans
v
Salford
 TOMORROW
12:00
Wire W
v
LeedsW
       League One 2024-R15
14:00
Newcastle
v
Hunslet
14:00
Hudds W
v
BarrowW
       Championship 2024-R15
Batley
v
Barrow
Bradford
v
Wakefield
Halifax
v
Featherstone
Sheffield
v
Swinton
Widnes
v
Dewsbury
York
v
Doncaster
       League One 2024-R15
Oldham
v
Crusaders
Workington
v
Rochdale
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
17:05
Manly
v
Newcastle
 Wed 17th Jul
     State of Origin 2023-R3
11:05
Queensland
v
New South Wales
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
17:30
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Fri 12th Jul
NRL 19 Cronulla58-6Wests
SL 17 LondonB20-34Castleford
WSL2024 8 WiganW12-16St.HelensW
SL 17 Wigan16-12St.Helens
Thu 11th Jul
NRL 19 Dolphins36-28Souths
SL 17 Warrington30-18Leeds
Sun 7th Jul
NRL 18 Sydney42-12St.George
NRL 18 Canberra12-16Newcastle
SL 16 Salford22-20Hull FC
CH 14 Dewsbury16-20Doncaster
CH 14 Featherstone66-0Whitehaven
CH 14 Swinton24-12Widnes
CH 14 Wakefield34-12Batley
CH 14 York54-12Barrow
L1 14 Newcastle0-44Workington
L1 14 Crusaders18-32Midlands
L1 14 Keighley20-20Rochdale
WSL2024 7 Wire W10-32Hudds W
WSL2024 7 York V44-0BarrowW
Sat 6th Jul
NRL 18 Canterbury13-12NZ Warriors
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 16 443 182 261 28
Warrington 17 436 231 205 24
St.Helens 17 441 186 255 22
Hull KR 16 397 217 180 22
Salford 16 317 308 9 22
Catalans 16 304 234 70 20

Leeds 17 309 316 -7 18
Huddersfield 16 298 365 -67 12
Leigh 15 270 250 20 11
Castleford 17 280 455 -175 11
Hull FC 16 218 496 -278 4
LondonB 17 176 649 -473 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 14 520 154 366 28
Sheffield 14 382 217 165 22
Bradford 14 353 230 123 19
Toulouse 13 344 186 158 17
Widnes 14 327 269 58 15
Featherstone 14 396 283 113 14

Doncaster 14 257 341 -84 13
York 15 339 305 34 12
Batley 14 217 320 -103 12
Swinton 14 284 344 -60 10