FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Restructure, What would you do?
62 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
International Star48No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

With all that's been going on lately how would you restructure?

Promotion & Relegation

2 into 3 tier system

Stay as we are

I for one would like to see Promotion & Relegation which would give more for the bottom clubs to play for.

I would also like to see a game to kick off the season League winners Vs Grand Final Winners (yes this would be like Community Shield ) but this could be a game that went to different parts of the Country to show case the game.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5213No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27476.gif
:CROWN: I am the hash browns of rlfans :CROWN::27476.gif

Quote: swones "With all that's been going on lately how would you restructure?

Promotion & Relegation

2 into 3 tier system

Stay as we are

I for one would like to see Promotion & Relegation which would give more for the bottom clubs to play for.

I would also like to see a game to kick off the season League winners Vs Grand Final Winners (yes this would be like Community Shield ) but this could be a game that went to different parts of the Country to show case the game.'"

All clubs from grass roots to international under the same roof. 12 team top division, top 5 playoff, 12 team second division with the same structure, playoff between second division winner and bottom of first division to decide relegation/ promotion.

For this to work though the salary cap gap needs to be narrowed - I don't know enough about the finances of championship clubs to know how feasible it is, there are a few chairmen making noise though so it could be.

I think the bigger issue is not just the structure but the bigger direction the game is taking.

Both divisions have to negotiate there own tv deals and the finance for both is split equally 13 ways in the division (1 per club and one for the governing body). They should also to retain the right to redistribution in other countries - if Catalans have their own tv deal why can't we sign a deal for tv in Australia? The amount tv company's pay for the Nrl having English rugby at a quarter of the price should be attractive surely.

There needs to be a 10/30/50 year plan published, to the clubs, and to everyone laying out how the governing body plans to sustain, expand and develop the game in "the heartlands", across the country and internationally.

Marketing and finance targets also need to be put into action. A lot has been spoken about how the game is struggling to attract sponsors - so there needs to be a plan to change the image to attract the sponsors without alienating the core fan base (not an easy task I appreciate).

The academy structure also needs looking at but that's a whole other debate icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star351No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2014Apr 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
56333_1306304220.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_56333.jpg

Time to cut losses and go semi pro again

RankPostsTeam
International Star1873No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Ideally, I would go for a 12 or even 10 team comp. but the financial pull the second tier would be so little, it would knock clubs so hard it could see them off.

So that poses the question of making the league bigger, to add some clubs to the wealthier state of SL. Is it feasable/sustainable. I'm not sure it is on a long term basis, but it would help the Sheffield's/Featherstone's/Halifax's etc to have a Wigan/Leeds game to advertise to try and gain interest in the short term. But where to go from their?

Maybe more teams could be an option?

RankPostsTeam
International Star7107No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
59880_1480501182.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_59880.jpg

12/14 team comp, P&R. Newly promoted team exempt from relegation the first year. Top 5 play-offs.

Oh and a team who can get us a title sponsor (I genuinely don't believe it would be that hard to sell our game to a sponsor.)

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8991
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47035_1386433761.gif
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47035.gif

Given a new script to start again.

I would go NFL divisional. 2 European SL Divisions with national leagues running underneath.

Winning your national league would give you the opportunity to apply to the European SL. However there would be a minimum stadium criteria and a finance criteria. In terms of finance; for the period of the franchise 3-5 years the club has to be able to show they can finance a full time side for the period at a minimum salary cap (£1.2 million per year say) and if we want to be strict about it, the money can be held on account by the ESL to guarantee the payments.

In terms of a top salary cap I would have a limit, but the limit would be set by the clubs ability to break even. Basically £1.2 would be the lower limit if you want to spend more you can, just increase revenues and profits and you can spend pretty much what you like.

Given the current situation it would be tricky to say who would be in the league as we can't be certain whether some will make it through the next year, but in an ideal world I would also add Toulouse and Wrexham and I would be hoping there is enough demand to offer London some rivalry closer to home, but all would have to be able to match the new rules, no exceptions.

My preference would be for 2 SL divisions of 8.

That's 21 games within your own division and 7 cross divisional games.

The mix up of games and having 2 divisions would make the playoffs more viable as the whole concept that the top of the league is the best team is taken out by having 2 divisions and an uneven set of games.

There is no particular reason why it has to stay as 2 divisions. In future years if new viable franchises come, it could increase to 3. Also if teams fold then the divisions can adjust. No reason to have an even number of teams in either division.

I would have the world club championship every 4 years, with the world cup following 2 years later.
Winning the GF will give you qualification to enter the WCC. So a comp made of 8 teams, 4 from ESL and 4 from NRL.
In between the years of the WCC and WC, you could have tours.

However, given our current finances I can never see clubs going for it as it would probably cause an initial drop in TV revenues, but I think you could sell it. I also think it could raise more money as it would allow teams to come in, but would also lay it on the line that you need to have the backing financially.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

I'd go with a structure of:

12 team Super League of:
Wigan
Saints
Leeds
Warrington
Huddersfield
Bradford
Hull FC
Hull KR
Salford
Cas or Wakefield
Catalans
Toulouse

A 5 year licence. A much more rigorous and transparent licensing system that evaluates all major aspects of the club. Provide a rating for each area (academy, junior development, finances, marketing etc) along with targets for the end of the licence period and an overall rating of the club as a whole. All published and freely available.

A licensing board to be established to oversee the evaluations and licence decisions. Led by a 3-man panel. 1 representative from the RFL, 1 appointed by the SL clubs and 1 appointed by the lower league clubs.
This system to be guaranteed for at least 2 licence periods (ie 10 years) to provide short to medium term certainty.

23 game SL season. Home & Away games plus Magic Weekend.

Top 6 playoff system.

A 12 team Championship of:
Cas or Wakefield
Widnes
London Broncos (preferably renamed an area of London where they will finally put down some roots)
Featherstone
Sheffield
Halifax
Leigh
Batley
Doncaster
Dewsbury
Workington
Whitehaven

Straight P&R with Championship One. 2 up, 2 down. 22 game season plus NRC.

14 team Championship One:
Swinton
Keighley
Barrow
Hunslet
York
North Wales
Oldham
Rochdale
London Skolars
Hemel
Oxford
Gateshead
South Wales
Gloucestershire

Straight 26 game season.

Challenge Cup
Moved earlier in the season.
SL clubs to come in at least 1, possibly 2 rounds earlier.
When playing a lower league club, SL clubs to be restricted to same quota rules as lower league clubs.
All amateur leagues to not play games on the same days as semi finals and final
Scheme to be established similar to RFU scheme with Union amateur clubs for internationals where amateur clubs get a percentage of the ticket price for selling tickets and organising trips to semi finals and final.
RFL to organise favourable prices for coaches/minibuses and other travel for amateur clubs organising trips.

Amateur game

Radical overhaul needed. To be put directly under control of RFL.
Much bigger emphasis on enjoyment and participation.
Harsher bans for players, coaches and club officials.
Stricter punishments for clubs and club officials.
Annual, local RL festivals to be organised in an area involving local clubs of all sizes.

TV money distribution

Currently it's dispersed as follows:
14/16ths to SL clubs
1/16th to Championships Clubs
1/16th to RFL

Which, assuming a £90m 5 year tv deal equates to:
£15.75m to SL clubs (£1.125m each club currently)
£1.125m to Championships Clubs (approx £50k per club)
£1.125m to RFL

I'd change it to:
12/18ths to SL clubs
2/18ths to Championship Clubs
1/18th to Championship One Clubs
1/18th to RFL
2/18ths to central pot to market Championships clubs and games

Which equates to (assuming same TV deal):
£12m to SL clubs (£1m per club)
£2m to Championship Clubs (approx £166k per club)
£1m to Championship One Clubs (approx £71k per club)
£1m to RFL
£2m to central pot

Dual Reg & Quotas

I'd keep the Dual Reg system, as long as it's voluntary.
There's rumours that the RFL have relaxed the Non-Fed Trained rules from 5 to 7. Which is a backward step in my opinion. I don't mind exemptions for some in certain circumstances (the Crusaders issue for example) but I'd reduce it further to 4.

World Club Challenge

Introduce a 6 team (3 SL, 3 NRL) comp, or rather 2 separate comps.
There'd be the World Club Challenge, same as now. The SL Grand Final winner vs the NRL Grand Final winner. Rotates each year from UK to Australia.

A separate World Club Plate (or whatever you want to call it)
4 teams (2 SL, 2 NRL)
Semis of:
Challenge Cup winner (or runner up if winner has done the double) vs NRL next highest placed
Highest league finisher that's not the Cup or GF winner vs NRL next highest placed
Then Final
To be held at same time and place (UK or Australia) as World Club Challenge.

A bit complicated but it guarantees the cup winner and the league leader of a game against NRL opposition.
Something which I'm sure Huddersfield and Warrington fans would have relished.

Internationals

A continuous, 8-year, certain International schedule

Year 1 - GB v Australia Ashes tour in UK
Year 2 - 5 Nations down under involving England, Wales/France, Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea
Year 3 - GB v New Zealand 3 Test Series in UK
Year 4 - World Cup down under
Year 5 - Australia v GB Ashes Tour in Australia
Year 6 - 5 Nations here involving England, Wales, France, Australia & New Zealand
Year 7 - New Zealand v GB 3 Test Series in NZ
Year 8 - World Cup in UK

Also an annual mid-season 5 Nations comp here of England, France, Wales, Scotland, Ireland
And an annual mid-season 4 or 5 Nations comp down under of Australia, New Zealand, PNG, Fiji

For England, a 30-man Elite Squad to be announced at the start of the season. All members of that squad to be restricted to playing a maximum of 23 SL or Challenge Cup games in that season (not including playoffs).

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman9721
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Apr 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5885-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg
regards and ENJOY your sport Leaguefan "The Public wants what the Public gets" - Paul Weller:icons077e_files/5885-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg

Errrrr
Rugby League, in Great Britain is MORE than just SL and the championship.
People seem to have completely forgotten that (if they ever knew)
The Aussies decided to change their whole structure and look what a disaster that turned out to be.multimillion TV rights, the NRL club seen as the pinnacle of a STRUCTURED development system from an early age.
But we don't want that kind of failure in this country we want the success of SL , the financial strength of the Wildcats, Bulls, Vikings and the Reds allied to the success of the Crusaders, Paris Sg, the 5th incarnation of the Keighley club etc.
Additionally we should not forget the exceptional marketing of the game so it can attract new interest. Just think back to oversubscribed launch of SL for 2013. All the clubs represented in their shiny new kits for the media to see. There may have been potentially a couple of colour clashes but that could be rectified by the home team changing strip so the new people would see who the opposition were. The clubs made the bold fashion statement that BLACK did not clash with anything but if it did all resemblance of the clubs true colours were obliterated so that new interest would not realise what was going on. Marketing plus that one.
FWIW I am inclined to state that the game in this country is at its strongest level ever, it's financial acumen is something other sports can only dream about. The game on the field is so good that it is played under so many different rules, with varying amounts of match officials at all levels worldwide, that it is clear and concise to explain, especially to potential investors.
I really struggle to understand why so many posters have negative opinions. Their glass half full ideas are..........

RankPostsTeam
International Star5123
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60524_1510403940.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60524.jpg

12 or 14 team SL - 1 up and 1 down P & R based on minimum standards.

RankPostsTeam
International Star426No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2014Feb 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Appoint people from the NRL to show the RFL how to manage and grow the game?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach14082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9857_1341488583.jpg
WEST COAST PIRATES NRL expansion? Sometime soon, maybe......:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9857.jpg

I'd stop thinking you can run prof RL clubs below the top level on the pittance of money the game has.

12 team closed shop SL, expand if and when there is money and value add brought by new teams.

Salary cap set at same level as SL grant plus a marquee signing allowed outside of salary cap per club

1.3million grant to each SL club, other 2.4mill to run the SL. SL to have its own marketing and promotions arm charged with bringing in money to SL that stays in SL

any other money the RFL can make from CC, Internationals, sponsors etc etc can be dished out to the remaining clubs in the RFL across all levels.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2242No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19722.gif
Woody: Can I pour you a draft, Mr. Peterson? Norm: A little early, isn't it Woody? Woody: For a beer? Norm: No, for stupid questions.:19722.gif

Two divisions of 12 teams.
One up one down.
Top 5 playoff in both divisions to determine champions.
More even distribution of money between All 24 clubs, although some off the payment would be staggered depending on finishing position.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6809
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18302_1567366773.png
[b:1crbsr9w] Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021! Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022! [/b:1crbsr9w]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18302.png

There is nothing wrong with licensing. It works in the NRL

The problem was that there were too many clubs for the number of talented English players available, and for the amount of money being provided by Sky..

There needs to be a licensed 12 team competition, with another French team included in order to assist the growth of the game in France.

The teams should beWigan
Saints
Warrington
Leeds
Huddersfield
Bradford
Hull FC
Hull KR
Salford
London
Catalans
Toulouse
[/i

We need a professional team in London to provide a road to professionalism for the thousands of young amateur rugby league players in the south of England. However London needs to be taken over by News International and subsidised by them temporarily until a new private buyer can be found to join the man who will become minority owner, David Hughes.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1460No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

To get promoted, it should not be through a play-off. 1st past the post, rewarding the best team throughout the season.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2143
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons3ae4_files/4583-27sowhat-msnicons.gif
Hope without planning is about as futile as waiting for a harvest without planting ------------------------------------- THE FIRST THING TO MAKE A DREAM COME TRUE,IS TO WAKE UP:icons3ae4_files/4583-27sowhat-msnicons.gif

Quote: JEAN CAPDOUZE "There is nothing wrong with licensing. It works in the NRL

The problem was that there were too many clubs for the number of talented English players available, and for the amount of money being provided by Sky..

There needs to be a licensed 12 team competition, with another French team included in order to assist the growth of the game in France.

The teams should beWigan
Saints
Warrington
Leeds
Huddersfield
Bradford
Hull FC
Hull KR
Salford
London
Catalans
Toulouse
[/i

We need a professional team in London to provide a road to professionalism for the thousands of young amateur rugby league players in the south of England. However London needs to be taken over by News International and subsidised by them temporarily until a new private buyer can be found to join the man who will become minority owner, David Hughes.'"

See you've still got 4 teams in that bring no money gain to the home club they're playing. eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_wall.gif

62 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
62 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.74365234375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
15m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
15m