JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2014May 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I was watching a amateur game this morning whilst waiting for my nephews game to kick off and was appalled by the amount of abuse that one of the teams parents delivered. The game was only U12's or 13's I think but they were swearing at the referee as well as the players. One of the parents was also urging her team to use their elbow in the tackle and applauded one of the lads when he did.

I found it utterly disgusting that the RFL have started this RESPECT campain and abuse is still a massive problem. The coaches were even wearing RESPECT bibs but that didn't stop them from swearing at opposition players.

Surely there must be something that the RL community can do to stop this from happening as people like this are making a mockery out of our sport.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: justarugbyfan "I was watching a amateur game this morning whilst waiting for my nephews game to kick off and was appalled by the amount of abuse that one of the teams parents delivered. The game was only U12's or 13's I think but they were swearing at the referee as well as the players. One of the parents was also urging her team to use their elbow in the tackle and applauded one of the lads when he did.

I found it utterly disgusting that the RFL have started this RESPECT campain and abuse is still a massive problem. The coaches were even wearing RESPECT bibs but that didn't stop them from swearing at opposition players.

Surely there must be something that the RL community can do to stop this from happening as people like this are making a mockery out of our sport.'"

It won't change until BARLA changes. Until they start punishing teams for their "supporters" actions then nothing will change. As you say the coaches wear the bibs and then do sod all. I hear it all the time from both coaches and parents at the amateur games I see. It's pathetic and the kind of atmosphere it generates is a big reason as to why many kids are put off the game.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2649No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2014May 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The RFL have put a lot of money into the TRY IT scheme but perhaps they should clean up touchlines first as like you said people are being put off the game due to the abusive parents and coaches. It's also putting people of refereeing which is a problem as there seems to be a shortage of referees too.

It needs sorting straight away as our game is getting a bad reputation from it

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2464No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2011Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50156_1266757028.jpg
[b:6jl68bf5][quote="Damo-Leeds":6jl68bf5]Please tell me what a coach’s job is.[/quote:6jl68bf5] [/b:6jl68bf5] [quote="Matt89":6jl68bf5]phipps knows best (everything about rugby league) so don't disagree!!!![/quote:6jl68bf5] [quote="Huddersfield1895 AKA dally messenger":6jl68bf5] Having read the article several times I'm still confused[/quote:6jl68bf5] [quote="Damo-Leeds":6jl68bf5]I shall keep posting on this thread and derail it as much as I want to.[/quote:6jl68bf5] [b:6jl68bf5][quote="PHIPPS":6jl68bf5]Sadly for Wigan as soon as Maguire gets an offer from an NRL club he will be on the plane home before you can say 'meat and potato pie'[/quote:6jl68bf5] [/b:6jl68bf5] [quote="Conorgiantsfan":6jl68bf5]I like you Phipps. I like your style.[/quote:6jl68bf5] [quote="Chorlton RL":6jl68bf5]As far as gauging the potential in the South West, I'd have thought the rumoured Wembley international double-header at the end of the season would be good way to do this. [/quote:6jl68bf5] [quote="Conorgiantsfan":6jl68bf5]You really annoy me. Like genital warts, but worse.[/quote:6jl68bf5]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50156.jpg

Quote: justarugbyfan "I was watching a amateur game this morning whilst waiting for my nephews game to kick off and was appalled by the amount of abuse that one of the teams parents delivered. The game was only U12's or 13's I think but they were swearing at the referee as well as the players. One of the parents was also urging her team to use their elbow in the tackle and applauded one of the lads when he did.

Surely there must be something that the RL community can do to stop this from happening as people like this are making a mockery out of our sport.'"

Didn't know Amos Roberts mum had come over?

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: justarugbyfan "The RFL have put a lot of money into the TRY IT scheme but perhaps they should clean up touchlines first as like you said people are being put off the game due to the abusive parents and coaches. It's also putting people of refereeing which is a problem as there seems to be a shortage of referees too.

It needs sorting straight away as our game is getting a bad reputation from it'"

Yep. The best thing the RFL could do is say to the ref's (as I think the ref's are RFL controlled aren't they? Not BARLA?) any abuse from parents, coaches or anyone and you give the team a warning. 2nd time the club are reported, 3rd time you stop the game.

Problem is BARLA still won't back it up with strong enough punishments.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman863No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp032.gif
I want the finest wines available to humanity - I want them here and I want them now!:simpsons/simp032.gif

It probably wasn't my game but I have just resigned from refereeing junior games in the winter leagues after another tirade from a guy in a RESPECT jacket. I have plenty of other things to do at my club and in my life generally than to tolerate it any longer. I will still be reffing but in leagues where respect means something, which is sadly becoming fewer and fewer.

The Midlands League is promoting an interesting new approach to junior rugby this summer - lets see how it goes.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp032.gif
I want the finest wines available to humanity - I want them here and I want them now!:simpsons/simp032.gif

Quote: Him "Yep. The best thing the RFL could do is say to the ref's (as I think the ref's are RFL controlled aren't they? Not BARLA?) any abuse from parents, coaches or anyone and you give the team a warning. 2nd time the club are reported, 3rd time you stop the game.

Problem is BARLA still won't back it up with strong enough punishments.'"

The local leagues appoint referees in most junior games, and all discipline goes through them and ultimately to BARLA. Only very serious incidents make it to the RFL.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2649No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2014May 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: tim2 "It probably wasn't my game but I have just resigned from refereeing junior games in the winter leagues after another tirade from a guy in a RESPECT jacket. I have plenty of other things to do at my club and in my life generally than to tolerate it any longer. I will still be reffing but in leagues where respect means something, which is sadly becoming fewer and fewer.

The Midlands League is promoting an interesting new approach to junior rugby this summer - lets see how it goes.'"

That's a prime example of how abusive touchlines are ruining our games.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach752No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2012Jul 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44411_1300461926.png
Iolo wrote. You must be confusing me with jannerboyuk, [...] he is also crucrusaders and I strongly suspect he is traffic as well. Iolo. My mum is dead actually Thanks for that Scooter Nik. Yeah right. Of course she is, probably turned up her toes in disgust at having spawned a prat like you:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44411.png

In the other code a ref can stop a game and order people away from the pitch and if they refuse to go the game can be abandoned.

Now there is little from RU that i wish to come into league but i'd very much like to see this for junior grade. Ref should stop tell them to do one and if they refuse game finishes and awarded to oppostition.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17134No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
193.jpg
Northampton RL....details here: //www.northamptonrl.co.uk:193.jpg

I though refs could send specators and coaches off? I've seen it happen in a game I played in.

justarugbyfan: Complain to the RFL, and BARLA about this. They should do something. At least have the club go through a touchline managers course and appoint touchline managers and act against the offending club if things don't improve.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17134No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
193.jpg
Northampton RL....details here: //www.northamptonrl.co.uk:193.jpg

Quote: tim2 "

The Midlands League is promoting an interesting new approach to junior rugby this summer - lets see how it goes.'"

We're all (well most) well behaved here icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2464No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2011Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50156_1266757028.jpg
[b:6jl68bf5][quote="Damo-Leeds":6jl68bf5]Please tell me what a coach’s job is.[/quote:6jl68bf5] [/b:6jl68bf5] [quote="Matt89":6jl68bf5]phipps knows best (everything about rugby league) so don't disagree!!!![/quote:6jl68bf5] [quote="Huddersfield1895 AKA dally messenger":6jl68bf5] Having read the article several times I'm still confused[/quote:6jl68bf5] [quote="Damo-Leeds":6jl68bf5]I shall keep posting on this thread and derail it as much as I want to.[/quote:6jl68bf5] [b:6jl68bf5][quote="PHIPPS":6jl68bf5]Sadly for Wigan as soon as Maguire gets an offer from an NRL club he will be on the plane home before you can say 'meat and potato pie'[/quote:6jl68bf5] [/b:6jl68bf5] [quote="Conorgiantsfan":6jl68bf5]I like you Phipps. I like your style.[/quote:6jl68bf5] [quote="Chorlton RL":6jl68bf5]As far as gauging the potential in the South West, I'd have thought the rumoured Wembley international double-header at the end of the season would be good way to do this. [/quote:6jl68bf5] [quote="Conorgiantsfan":6jl68bf5]You really annoy me. Like genital warts, but worse.[/quote:6jl68bf5]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50156.jpg

Quote: chubbs1981 "In the other code a ref can stop a game and order people away from the pitch and if they refuse to go the game can be abandoned.

Now there is little from RU that i wish to come into league but i'd very much like to see this for junior grade. Ref should stop tell them to do one and if they refuse game finishes and awarded to oppostition.'"

So lets say 'Team A' are playing 'Team B'

I'm the parent of a child of team A. We are getting flogged by Team B.

Whats to stop me claiming to be a parent of (or connected to) team B, verbally abusing the officials and getting the game awarded to my own side?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach752No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2012Jul 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44411_1300461926.png
Iolo wrote. You must be confusing me with jannerboyuk, [...] he is also crucrusaders and I strongly suspect he is traffic as well. Iolo. My mum is dead actually Thanks for that Scooter Nik. Yeah right. Of course she is, probably turned up her toes in disgust at having spawned a prat like you:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44411.png

Propper touchline management by the hosting team

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman3185No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2018May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/PDT13.gif
Brad Fitler "If the ref's decision decides your game. You haven't done enough prior." Referees are like women, they make snap decisions and never reverse them. [b]Littlerich wrote[/b] Widnes will be glad to get away from Leigh. They've been regularly pumped, roasted and left in the alley-way by the lobbygobblers. Talk about being bitched - what a torrid time they've had. They'll be looking for some A&E rest time for the next three years at least.:simpsons/PDT13.gif

Quote: chubbs1981 "In the other code a ref can stop a game and order people away from the pitch and if they refuse to go the game can be abandoned.

Now there is little from RU that i wish to come into league but i'd very much like to see this for junior grade. Ref should stop tell them to do one and if they refuse game finishes and awarded to oppostition.'"

A RL referee also has the power to do this.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp032.gif

Quote: rob_a "A RL referee also has the power to do this.'"

Yes, I've done it before. However it tends to just crank up the atmosphere a few more notches...

I have sympathy for touchline managers. They have enough trouble keeping their own people in check without having to handle aggressive idiots from the opposition, and possibly random individuals potentially unconnected with anybody.

58 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
58 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.1943359375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Planning for next season
mwindass
5m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
mwindass
14m