FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Cq bid news.
102 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach326No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2013Jan 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
49441_1297589645.jpg
[b:28orqsbs]Joel Morgan International Referral Italia Rugby Football League - Italia RFL www.irfleague.it [/b:28orqsbs]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_49441.jpg

CQ - A Changing Market

The CQ NRL Bid staff travel all over Central Queensland regularly, and often beyond what we would categorise as the normal boundaries of CQ.

When we present the benefits and merits of the CQ NRL Bid and then ask for questions the most common questions almost always concern the location, tactics, and chances of success or otherwise of the "opposition" compared to our Bid. This "opposition" refers to other bidding regions and cities. E.g. NSW Central Coast (Gosford), Perth, Brisbane Bombers, PNG, Ipswich, etc. I do consider these regions in our tactics but I do not malign them or their motives because they are NOT the real opposition.

The real opposition is the AFL and I am not being derogatory or dismissive of the AFL. In fact I envy many of their achievements and ambitions to dominate the Australian sporting landscape. The AFL is resourced and committed and their stated tactic is to target the "heartlands" of Rugby League. This policy is ongoing and is currently being implemented very openly in the western suburbs of Sydney and at the Gold Coast. Many observers do not realise that other more strategic and longer term attacks are also very current.

PJ Marsh is a good friend, a wonderful former player and a genuine good man. He originates from Central Queensland; he has resettled here in his post NRL life and developed a career in the vast coal mining industry of CQ. PJ provides his time and energies to the CQ NRL Bid in many capacities and is a very valued mentor in the development and scholarship programs of the Bid. His passion for Rugby League and for his community is obvious and enduring.

PJ called me last week from his home in Middlemount, where he works and lives. He is always so positive and happy so I always enjoy our football discussions, whether these discussions involve talking about a promising young player in the Central Highlands or just talking generally about the upcoming NRL or Q Cup seasons. Last week PJ was very upset and I was immediately concerned.

He was agitated and kept asking me about the Bid's progress. He said a few times "mate, we have to get our own NRL club in CQ". The reason that PJ was not his normal happy and enthusiastic self was the AFL. Their development staff were in Middlemount and had just signed PJ's son up to their respected "AFL Auskick" program. In fact in the last few days, PJ was asked to go to one of the program's sessions, as a parent, and help out ? of course PJ obliged. PJ and his son went to the local AFL ground in Middlemount ? that's right an AFL ground right in the very middle of our "heartland".

Has the Rugby League community lost PJ's son? I don't know and neither does PJ but as PJ said "I am going to support my son all the way, so if he decides to do AFL, I'll back him all the way".

CQ is now an avid Rugby League market but it is changing quickly and some of these changes are significant.
Please go on line and apply for membership NOW.

Please support the CQ NRL Bid by going on line at www.cqnrlbid.com.au and become a Bid or Corporate member -
from the desk of the CEO, Denis Keeffe

www.cqnrlbid.com.au
CQ - A Changing Market

The CQ NRL Bid staff travel all over Central Queensland regularly, and often beyond what we would categorise as the normal boundaries of CQ.

When we present the benefits and merits of the CQ NRL Bid and then ask for questions the most common questions almost always concern the location, tactics, and chances of success or otherwise of the "opposition" compared to our Bid. This "opposition" refers to other bidding regions and cities. E.g. NSW Central Coast (Gosford), Perth, Brisbane Bombers, PNG, Ipswich, etc. I do consider these regions in our tactics but I do not malign them or their motives because they are NOT the real opposition.

The real opposition is the AFL and I am not being derogatory or dismissive of the AFL. In fact I envy many of their achievements and ambitions to dominate the Australian sporting landscape. The AFL is resourced and committed and their stated tactic is to target the "heartlands" of Rugby League. This policy is ongoing and is currently being implemented very openly in the western suburbs of Sydney and at the Gold Coast. Many observers do not realise that other more strategic and longer term attacks are also very current.

PJ Marsh is a good friend, a wonderful former player and a genuine good man. He originates from Central Queensland; he has resettled here in his post NRL life and developed a career in the vast coal mining industry of CQ. PJ provides his time and energies to the CQ NRL Bid in many capacities and is a very valued mentor in the development and scholarship programs of the Bid. His passion for Rugby League and for his community is obvious and enduring.

PJ called me last week from his home in Middlemount, where he works and lives. He is always so positive and happy so I always enjoy our football discussions, whether these discussions involve talking about a promising young player in the Central Highlands or just talking generally about the upcoming NRL or Q Cup seasons. Last week PJ was very upset and I was immediately concerned.

He was agitated and kept asking me about the Bid's progress. He said a few times "mate, we have to get our own NRL club in CQ". The reason that PJ was not his normal happy and enthusiastic self was the AFL. Their development staff were in Middlemount and had just signed PJ's son up to their respected "AFL Auskick" program. In fact in the last few days, PJ was asked to go to one of the program's sessions, as a parent, and help out ? of course PJ obliged. PJ and his son went to the local AFL ground in Middlemount ? that's right an AFL ground right in the very middle of our "heartland".

Has the Rugby League community lost PJ's son? I don't know and neither does PJ but as PJ said "I am going to support my son all the way, so if he decides to do AFL, I'll back him all the way".

CQ is now an avid Rugby League market but it is changing quickly and some of these changes are significant.
Please go on line and apply for membership NOW.

Please support the CQ NRL Bid by going on line at www.cqnrlbid.com.au and become a Bid or Corporate member -
from the desk of the CEO, Denis Keeffe

www.cqnrlbid.com.au

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach326No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2013Jan 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
49441_1297589645.jpg
[b:28orqsbs]Joel Morgan International Referral Italia Rugby Football League - Italia RFL www.irfleague.it [/b:28orqsbs]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_49441.jpg

Son of former NRL star takes to Aussie Rules instead
Have your say »

Rebekah Polley
5th Dec 2012 10:24 AM

Story Tools

PROGRAM NEEDED: PJ Marsh, pictured with Joel and Jacob Van Zanden, wants to see a rugby league program for local youngsters. PROGRAM NEEDED: PJ Marsh, pictured with Joel and Jacob Van Zanden, wants to see a rugby league program for local youngsters. Chris Ison

FORMER NRL great PJ Marsh was not his usual, enthusiastic self last week.

Marsh had just called CQ NRL Bid CEO Denis Keeffe and Keeffe said Marsh hadn't been himself because he had just signed his son up to the AFL's Auskick program.

While Marsh said he supported his son in whatever endeavour he chose, he questioned why the NRL did not have a similar program for youngsters.

He said AFL had made its presence known in the mining town of Middlemount, where the Marsh family was based, but rugby league had not made the same effort in the three years he lived there.

"It is like the NRL in general has taken its popularity in western and central Queensland for granted and not followed up with junior programs, like Auskick, therefore losing kids to different football codes," Marsh said.

"I don't know what the NRL should do, but obviously the AFL do.

"The NRL needs to step up."

Growing up in Blackwater, Marsh said he remembered an AFL field but not playing on it and not knowing much about the code until he was 12 or 13 years old. Meanwhile, his son was a professed West Coast Eagles fan and knew the players in the team. He suggested the NRL needed to talk to the AFL because it had obviously implemented a program that worked. Above all, Marsh encouraged central Queensland to get behind the CQ NRL Bid.

"We need to get behind it and push harder," Marsh said.

www.cqnews.com.au/news/taken-for ... d/1647529/
Son of former NRL star takes to Aussie Rules instead
Have your say »

Rebekah Polley
5th Dec 2012 10:24 AM

Story Tools

PROGRAM NEEDED: PJ Marsh, pictured with Joel and Jacob Van Zanden, wants to see a rugby league program for local youngsters. PROGRAM NEEDED: PJ Marsh, pictured with Joel and Jacob Van Zanden, wants to see a rugby league program for local youngsters. Chris Ison

FORMER NRL great PJ Marsh was not his usual, enthusiastic self last week.

Marsh had just called CQ NRL Bid CEO Denis Keeffe and Keeffe said Marsh hadn't been himself because he had just signed his son up to the AFL's Auskick program.

While Marsh said he supported his son in whatever endeavour he chose, he questioned why the NRL did not have a similar program for youngsters.

He said AFL had made its presence known in the mining town of Middlemount, where the Marsh family was based, but rugby league had not made the same effort in the three years he lived there.

"It is like the NRL in general has taken its popularity in western and central Queensland for granted and not followed up with junior programs, like Auskick, therefore losing kids to different football codes," Marsh said.

"I don't know what the NRL should do, but obviously the AFL do.

"The NRL needs to step up."

Growing up in Blackwater, Marsh said he remembered an AFL field but not playing on it and not knowing much about the code until he was 12 or 13 years old. Meanwhile, his son was a professed West Coast Eagles fan and knew the players in the team. He suggested the NRL needed to talk to the AFL because it had obviously implemented a program that worked. Above all, Marsh encouraged central Queensland to get behind the CQ NRL Bid.

"We need to get behind it and push harder," Marsh said.

www.cqnews.com.au/news/taken-for ... d/1647529/

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach326No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2013Jan 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
49441_1297589645.jpg

AFL grows in central Qld's rugby league heartland
By Paul Robinson

Updated Wed Dec 5, 2012 3 in saying that, PJ said he would much rather his son pursue a career in rugby league.

"He's been surrounded, in some ways inundated, by the promotion of the AFL game in Central Queensland."

Mr Keefe says the AFL is pouring money into rugby league areas.

"We're outnumbered on the ground probably three or four to one by the AFL and we're out resourced as far as straight money," he said.

"Remember that up until now the AFL received a lot more money from their media partners than what the NRL did so they are much more resourced than us and they're using that resource to attack our heartland."
Rugby league dominates

The AFL says it does not expect to break rugby league's dominance in central Queensland in the near future.

Scott Smithwick from AFL Capricornia says numbers taking up the sport in Central Queensland are rising, but rugby league still dominates.

"It's gradually getting more and more popular but at the moment I think league's pretty safe," he said.

"We are trying our hardest of course to try and give the kids an option other than rugby league but it seems to be the top dog at the moment and I can't see that changing any time in the future.

"Out at Emerald we get 100 Auskickers per year, Blackwater we got 80-odd this year, so it's gradually growing in numbers from what it has been in the past."
AFL plans

Mr Smithwick says the AFL Capricornia competition in Rockhampton and Gladstone is strong, and he would like to revive a competition on the Central Highlands.

"Whether it's 18 a side competition or whether it's a competition involving the new hybrid game of AFL Nines which have brought out, so it's a little bit more flexible than 18-a-side competitions," he said.

"In the end I believe that we are actually going to be pushing towards that.

"It might not be for 10 years, but in the end I think we will be aiming for that."

www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-05/a ... nd/4409852
AFL grows in central Qld's rugby league heartland
By Paul Robinson

Updated Wed Dec 5, 2012 3 in saying that, PJ said he would much rather his son pursue a career in rugby league.

"He's been surrounded, in some ways inundated, by the promotion of the AFL game in Central Queensland."

Mr Keefe says the AFL is pouring money into rugby league areas.

"We're outnumbered on the ground probably three or four to one by the AFL and we're out resourced as far as straight money," he said.

"Remember that up until now the AFL received a lot more money from their media partners than what the NRL did so they are much more resourced than us and they're using that resource to attack our heartland."
Rugby league dominates

The AFL says it does not expect to break rugby league's dominance in central Queensland in the near future.

Scott Smithwick from AFL Capricornia says numbers taking up the sport in Central Queensland are rising, but rugby league still dominates.

"It's gradually getting more and more popular but at the moment I think league's pretty safe," he said.

"We are trying our hardest of course to try and give the kids an option other than rugby league but it seems to be the top dog at the moment and I can't see that changing any time in the future.

"Out at Emerald we get 100 Auskickers per year, Blackwater we got 80-odd this year, so it's gradually growing in numbers from what it has been in the past."
AFL plans

Mr Smithwick says the AFL Capricornia competition in Rockhampton and Gladstone is strong, and he would like to revive a competition on the Central Highlands.

"Whether it's 18 a side competition or whether it's a competition involving the new hybrid game of AFL Nines which have brought out, so it's a little bit more flexible than 18-a-side competitions," he said.

"In the end I believe that we are actually going to be pushing towards that.

"It might not be for 10 years, but in the end I think we will be aiming for that."

www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-05/a ... nd/4409852

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach326No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2013Jan 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
49441_1297589645.jpg

CQ NRL Bid reflect on the last 12 months

CQ NRL Bid's year I come back to one person and his family. A few months ago when John Grant announced a NRL expansion consideration date of around 2014, my heart sank, but only for a very short time.

Instinctively I called Geoff Murphy and asked him if this announcement was a hindrance to his dream of a NRL club for Central Queensland. In his normal controlled and very positive demeanour, Geoff explained to me that his commitment to the establishment of CQ's own NRL club was absolutely rock solid with even more resolve than before the announcement. I felt a twinge of guilt for even a moment's doubt.

I suppose only history will judge Geoff's allegiance to his beloved Rugby League and to Central Queensland but in the present, I know that the CQ NRL Bid would not have been the central focus of my 2012, without his loyalty to this sometimes elusive dream.

In 2012 the CQ NRL Bid continued to establish and operate its Rugby League development programs including the QR National (the new QRN company name is Aurizon) sponsored Schools and Scholarship programs as well as the 13's and 14's CQ Development Program. Recently the Bid also accepted the Queensland Rugby League's invitation to joint venture manage the three CQ Capras teams in the ISC Queensland Cup (Cyril Connell 16's, Mal Meninga 18's, and Intrust Super 1st grade). It has been a "building and reinforcement" year and personally very rewarding.

We had many contributors to our successful 2012 and this space is not large enough to thank them all for sharing the vision and dream.

I have mentioned Geoff Murphy and his whole family. These people are providing the vision and the bulk of the resource that is driving the whole community benefitting endeavour. The directors of the Bid, Capras, and Leagues Club boards are always providing the strategic guidance needed in these complex organisations. I appreciate your valuable contributions. CQ NRL Bid and Capras' staff of Walson and Dominique are the wheels that never stop turning the process forward. They are to be congratulated for their work ethics and result driven attitudes. They are supported by the management and staff of the associated Leagues Clubs and we all need this ongoing support.

To all of the other vital stakeholders, including the media, the political representatives, the corporate partners of the Bid and the Capras, the thousands of members and to all those who want the Bid to succeed and the Capras to be the pride of Rugby league in CQ, I wish you all a safe and a happy Christmas and thanks for reading this non-journalistic written column.

Please support the CQ NRL Bid by going on line at www.cqnrlbid.com.au and become a Bid or Corporate member - from the desk of the CEO, Denis Keeffe

www.cqnrlbid.com.au
CQ NRL Bid reflect on the last 12 months

CQ NRL Bid's year I come back to one person and his family. A few months ago when John Grant announced a NRL expansion consideration date of around 2014, my heart sank, but only for a very short time.

Instinctively I called Geoff Murphy and asked him if this announcement was a hindrance to his dream of a NRL club for Central Queensland. In his normal controlled and very positive demeanour, Geoff explained to me that his commitment to the establishment of CQ's own NRL club was absolutely rock solid with even more resolve than before the announcement. I felt a twinge of guilt for even a moment's doubt.

I suppose only history will judge Geoff's allegiance to his beloved Rugby League and to Central Queensland but in the present, I know that the CQ NRL Bid would not have been the central focus of my 2012, without his loyalty to this sometimes elusive dream.

In 2012 the CQ NRL Bid continued to establish and operate its Rugby League development programs including the QR National (the new QRN company name is Aurizon) sponsored Schools and Scholarship programs as well as the 13's and 14's CQ Development Program. Recently the Bid also accepted the Queensland Rugby League's invitation to joint venture manage the three CQ Capras teams in the ISC Queensland Cup (Cyril Connell 16's, Mal Meninga 18's, and Intrust Super 1st grade). It has been a "building and reinforcement" year and personally very rewarding.

We had many contributors to our successful 2012 and this space is not large enough to thank them all for sharing the vision and dream.

I have mentioned Geoff Murphy and his whole family. These people are providing the vision and the bulk of the resource that is driving the whole community benefitting endeavour. The directors of the Bid, Capras, and Leagues Club boards are always providing the strategic guidance needed in these complex organisations. I appreciate your valuable contributions. CQ NRL Bid and Capras' staff of Walson and Dominique are the wheels that never stop turning the process forward. They are to be congratulated for their work ethics and result driven attitudes. They are supported by the management and staff of the associated Leagues Clubs and we all need this ongoing support.

To all of the other vital stakeholders, including the media, the political representatives, the corporate partners of the Bid and the Capras, the thousands of members and to all those who want the Bid to succeed and the Capras to be the pride of Rugby league in CQ, I wish you all a safe and a happy Christmas and thanks for reading this non-journalistic written column.

Please support the CQ NRL Bid by going on line at www.cqnrlbid.com.au and become a Bid or Corporate member - from the desk of the CEO, Denis Keeffe

www.cqnrlbid.com.au

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach326No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2013Jan 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
49441_1297589645.jpg

QRL hosts its annual summer camp
Have your say »

22nd Dec 2012 6:00 AM

Story Tools

Use this content
Related Items

» Plenty of strife in a spectacular rugby league season

Bennett Ladbrook ready to make a quick pass at the NRL Development Camp held in Yeppoon. Bennett Ladbrook ready to make a quick pass at the NRL Development Camp held in Yeppoon. Chris Ison

ASPIRING rugby league players from around the region converged on the Capricorn Coast as the Queensland Rugby League hosted its annual summer camp.

The camp aimed to assist the development of rugby league in Central Queensland. It began on Monday at Yeppoon Active Recreation Centre, Cooee Bay.

Around 70 kids from Bundaberg, Middlemount, Gladstone, Roma, Longreach, Emerald, Tannum Sands, Charleville, Blackall and Rockhampton attended the week-long camp.

Event co-ordinator and NRL Game Development officer Dominic Draper said the camp not only offered development, but also an opportunity for the kids to enjoy themselves.

"Its along the lines of 'come along, have a good time and also learn a lot about the game'," Draper said.

"We're trying to help the kids develop and not just in rugby league, but also in their life skills and stuff like that because it's really important for them."

Draper said the camp provided a lot of development, interaction with other players as well as giving coaches and volunteer staff the opportunity to further their skills.

"The camp is a part of the Game Development division of the NRL and nearly all the staff at the camp have been coaches for representative teams, as well as former NRL coach Murray Hurst and former Manly Assistant Dennis Moore working with the players," Draper said.

"It's also about developing coaches and first aiders, we're giving back to the volunteers as well."

The camps were supported by the CQ NRL Bid and Draper said the QRL Central Division was very appreciative.

"We have some CQ NRL bid representative players attending the camp and the CQ NRL bid is the major sponsor of the event. Without their sponsorship we wouldn't be able to hold the camp," he said.

"With their support it makes it affordable for kids to come along and it has been great. They've helped out with prizes and have been fantastic about it."

Draper said while the camp was open to anyone who wanted to come along, there were a few kids attending who were handpicked to attend.

"Two kids from out west, one from Charleville and one from Blackall, received an award at a carnival and Prime Properties in Rockhampton sponsored them to come along," Draper said.

"We have a few rep players as well as a few aspiring to be there.

"You don't have to be a rep player to come along, it's a good mix of kids and they have been absolutely fantastic.

"They've probably been the best group we've had together and they've just been unreal and really well behaved."

As this year marks the third year of the development camp, Draper said he was looking forward to future events.

www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/new ... p/1695412/
QRL hosts its annual summer camp
Have your say »

22nd Dec 2012 6:00 AM

Story Tools

Use this content
Related Items

» Plenty of strife in a spectacular rugby league season

Bennett Ladbrook ready to make a quick pass at the NRL Development Camp held in Yeppoon. Bennett Ladbrook ready to make a quick pass at the NRL Development Camp held in Yeppoon. Chris Ison

ASPIRING rugby league players from around the region converged on the Capricorn Coast as the Queensland Rugby League hosted its annual summer camp.

The camp aimed to assist the development of rugby league in Central Queensland. It began on Monday at Yeppoon Active Recreation Centre, Cooee Bay.

Around 70 kids from Bundaberg, Middlemount, Gladstone, Roma, Longreach, Emerald, Tannum Sands, Charleville, Blackall and Rockhampton attended the week-long camp.

Event co-ordinator and NRL Game Development officer Dominic Draper said the camp not only offered development, but also an opportunity for the kids to enjoy themselves.

"Its along the lines of 'come along, have a good time and also learn a lot about the game'," Draper said.

"We're trying to help the kids develop and not just in rugby league, but also in their life skills and stuff like that because it's really important for them."

Draper said the camp provided a lot of development, interaction with other players as well as giving coaches and volunteer staff the opportunity to further their skills.

"The camp is a part of the Game Development division of the NRL and nearly all the staff at the camp have been coaches for representative teams, as well as former NRL coach Murray Hurst and former Manly Assistant Dennis Moore working with the players," Draper said.

"It's also about developing coaches and first aiders, we're giving back to the volunteers as well."

The camps were supported by the CQ NRL Bid and Draper said the QRL Central Division was very appreciative.

"We have some CQ NRL bid representative players attending the camp and the CQ NRL bid is the major sponsor of the event. Without their sponsorship we wouldn't be able to hold the camp," he said.

"With their support it makes it affordable for kids to come along and it has been great. They've helped out with prizes and have been fantastic about it."

Draper said while the camp was open to anyone who wanted to come along, there were a few kids attending who were handpicked to attend.

"Two kids from out west, one from Charleville and one from Blackall, received an award at a carnival and Prime Properties in Rockhampton sponsored them to come along," Draper said.

"We have a few rep players as well as a few aspiring to be there.

"You don't have to be a rep player to come along, it's a good mix of kids and they have been absolutely fantastic.

"They've probably been the best group we've had together and they've just been unreal and really well behaved."

As this year marks the third year of the development camp, Draper said he was looking forward to future events.

www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/new ... p/1695412/

102 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
102 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.18896484375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 26 Wigan Away
Once were Lo
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC