FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > Ideas for rugby league - BRAINSTORM!
61 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2009Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Pablo-13 "Most RL people have at least a couple of ideas of how to improve the sport and its health. The ideas might not always be worth their own thread so I started this one.
Post ideas for the business side of things, marketing, rules, junior rugby etc. If you like, even include ones you aren't particularly convinced on - it might give someone else an idea.

To try to prevent the thread being de-railed, if you have a comment about someone's idea try think of something new to add as well.

A couple of ideas to get started...
-----

Schools growth
The Champion Schools comp has grow in numbers, schools and age groups (the comp didn't have all five secondary school age groups for both sexes at first). I'd like to see it grow into primary schools so that kids are exposed to RL when they are at the ages they begin to choose their sports. There are also more primary schools than secondary schools so there is a potential for huge increases in participation in time. It would be hard to do because of limits on the RFL's resources. Depending on how enthusiastic some primary schools are, town/district competitions only would be fine; there isn't necessarily a need to organise national and regional finals.

Junior rugby skills
[iI originally posted this in response to a Phil Clarke articles
At junior level, ages 5-11 perhaps, the RFL could promote a "swimming badge"-style scheme to encourage a culture of skills development. A rugby league curriculum almost. Players gaining a skill would be presented with a certificate and a badge to sew onto their personal training bibs. There could be XIII skill areas and several things to learn in each. Examples might be Support Play or Passing. During training sessions coaches would work with players on e.g. passing left and right and maybe later how to beat opponents with it. Once the players have learnt something in training they would then complete the skill and get the badge by applying it in a game successfully. Building a set of skills, as well as winning matches, would become the aim of the children. At these young ages each child developing their own skills and being rewarded for it would be especially great for any that are not the largest or fastest. The programme hopefully would support the many good coaches out there in their attempts to teach the sport and perhaps negate any poor junior coaching by those who are more interested in seeing their star (usually larger) players get the ball so they can win games. I'm not sure exactly what the situation is now in junior clubs at ages 5-11 (I played from 10 years old in a development area.) The scheme might have to work work around the various mod, tag etc. variants played at young ages. Some clubs might already work from their own 'rugby league curriculum' but I'm sure in many areas, especially new ones, they don't. Getting badges might help young player commitment and retention too.

Websites
UK rugby league clubs need to be efficient with money and rugby league fans often moan about the quality of club websites. The RFL member clubs should create a rugby league network of websites. They could split the costs of website development and perhaps work together on other things...unified ticketing system maybe?

Fantasy RL
I know that there is a RLfans (I think) version but I reckon the RFL are missing a trick by not having an official fantasy RL competition on their website like e.g. the rlPremier Leaguerl does. The RFL could make use of all the stats Opta collect for them.'"

Says it all... icon_eek.gif

Bring back the non internet days,when only certain voices where respected.... icon_cool.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach18736No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2013Jan 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20672.jpg
:CROWN: [color=#4000FF:3cyxr5nr]RLFans.com Soccer Prediction League Champion 2011/2012[/color:3cyxr5nr] :CROWN: [url=http://www.christie.nhs.uk/the-christie-charity/donate.aspx:3cyxr5nr]The Christie - please donate[/url:3cyxr5nr] [url=http://www.popbitch.com/home/2009/10/05/red-pepper-news:3cyxr5nr]Greatest headline ever?[/url:3cyxr5nr]:20672.jpg

Quote: Dico "I meant to quote the whole thing but couldn't be bothered.
WHAT a cracking idea.. I'd have it on 24/7'"

Not that I think it would cost much more having it run around the clock, but I think that might be overdoing it a bit.
Maybe from 4pm to 11pm during the week and 9am till midnight at weekends.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach20628
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44480_1390845286.jpg
It's been fun.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44480.jpg

Quote: Catalancs "Not that I think it would cost much more having it run around the clock, but I think that might be overdoing it a bit.
Maybe from 4pm to 11pm during the week and 9am till midnight at weekends.'"

Just a thought. We'd have to be careful that Sky don't think we are treading on their toes otherwise lips goodbye to the funding unless we give free adverts to Sky they might put their foot down

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach18736No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2013Jan 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20672.jpg
:CROWN: [color=#4000FF:3cyxr5nr]RLFans.com Soccer Prediction League Champion 2011/2012[/color:3cyxr5nr] :CROWN: [url=http://www.christie.nhs.uk/the-christie-charity/donate.aspx:3cyxr5nr]The Christie - please donate[/url:3cyxr5nr] [url=http://www.popbitch.com/home/2009/10/05/red-pepper-news:3cyxr5nr]Greatest headline ever?[/url:3cyxr5nr]:20672.jpg

Quote: Wire_Yed "Just a thought. We'd have to be careful that Sky don't think we are treading on their toes otherwise lips goodbye to the funding unless we give free adverts to Sky they might put their foot down'"

As I said, that is something that would have to be included in contract negotiations.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner10000No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8202.jpg
[url=//www.facebook.com/wellsmotors:2svvs5eg][img:2svvs5eg]//i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/wellsy13/Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg[/img:2svvs5eg][/url:2svvs5eg]:8202.jpg

Quote: Wire_Yed "Just a thought. We'd have to be careful that Sky don't think we are treading on their toes otherwise lips goodbye to the funding unless we give free adverts to Sky they might put their foot down'"

Free adverts for RL related programming on Sky and BBC. Should compliment their programming then.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner10000No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8202.jpg
[url=//www.facebook.com/wellsmotors:2svvs5eg][img:2svvs5eg]//i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/wellsy13/Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg[/img:2svvs5eg][/url:2svvs5eg]:8202.jpg

Obviously they wouldn't be able to show live games, but surely they could do what they do for football and have pundits in a studio analysing games if there's more than one on, with the score coming in at the bottom on a vidiprinter?

61 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
61 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.23779296875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
New Players
Deadcowboys1
15m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
ComeOnYouUll
Recent