FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Virtual Terrace > SL Jumping the Shark?
26 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Durham Giant , TimperleySaint
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach19No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2011Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Dunbar "I can't agree with the Salary Cap comment - it isn't there to grow the supportor base, it's there to protect the clubs from themselves

Without the Salary Cap, Dave Whelen would have bought the Super League title 5 years ago and several other clubs would have gone bust trying to keep up...'"

I'm not against the cap. I'd raise the salary cap to £2.5m .

That would stop the big teams buying all of the good players and then buying all of the second best players and keeping them on the bench, and then buying all of the third best players and using them to make the tea (what used to be known in Soccer as doing a Chelsea, until the bonkers Arabs showed up). But it would still allow the best supported teams to field the best teams on the pitch, whilst still giving the lower teams the chance to build. It would also protect the clubs from themselves, as you rightly point out.

There has been a lot of emphasis on "won't it be great when all of the teams are spending the full cap"- well, it isn't necessarily so.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member16239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1776_1294872033.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1776.jpg

Quote: McClennan "It just shows how insular the Australians are when it comes to RL. They're Jodie Marsh to the Americans Jordan.'"

When you're the best, you don't adapt to copy what the rest are doing.

The thing is whether it's a fast ptb, or a slow ptb - we can't play it to anything like the standard they do down under anyway.

Still, as long as the league is close, and we can blame anyone else from the refs to the Aussies for our failings - who really cares if the product is sub-standard?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3766No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/g6.gif
[url=http://www.sang-et-or.net:305yfqcu][color=#FF0000:305yfqcu]sang-et-or.net[/color:305yfqcu][/url:305yfqcu], home of the Bobbie Goulding appreciation society.:Others/g6.gif

Quote: wire-quin "
I think the game is going through a transition at the moment from lots of Aussies to fewer, whilst being replaced with young British players. Hopefully once the transition finishes and the British player get better(older) the game will pick up.'"

To me, the first year of franchise was always going to have a lower skill level, simply because the top players of 12 clubs are now split between 14. Obviously the level of play has to go down because we can't find top players to fill the gaps overnight.
The + side has already been seen, all clubs finding new SL quality players this year, players who will be even better next year. Give gthe debutants an off-season and if they improve as much as the Catalans players improved between year 1 & 2 then we will see an incredible 14 team league next year, with the bonus being felt by the national squads.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach27No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2009Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Johnoco "Generally, I'd agree. I think this year has been very average and it started one or two seasons ago with this new pedantic reffing style. The fact is that so far, the play off games have been poor. If it doesn't improve, they must have a rethink and IMO go back to the top 5 play offs.

A few years back, all the sky hyperbole rang true. It did seem to get better every season but just seems to be stagnating now. I'm not even sure it's down to relegation or not, it seems to be down to officiating IMO.'"

Totally agree withall these comments,also a couple of weeks ago i got slated on here for saying that the quality of rugby this season has been very poor IMO.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner128No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5718.jpg
"son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get":5718.jpg

I'm not sure if i've any justifiacation in saying this, but IMO some of the traditionally "bigger" sides- warrington, bradford and Hull failing to make the playoffs have hampered it's impact this year. Although the league table doesn't lie, and certainly no-one has a right to be there, these team are more likely to bring a larger travelling fanbase then catalans, hudds and wakey, creating atmosphere adding to the intensity.

I'm sure someone will prove me wrong with average crowd data etc but as a leeds fan- playing eg bradford in the semi would fill me with more excitement then some of the other teams.

IMO of course icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach21563No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2009Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10139.jpg
[url=http://www.leaguefreak.com/:18n7htr9][img:18n7htr9]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/League_Freak/rlfanssignature23.jpg[/img:18n7htr9][/url:18n7htr9] :CROWN: :CROWN: [size=142:18n7htr9][url=http://www.leaguefreak.com/:18n7htr9][b:18n7htr9]Super League Grand Final Preview[/b:18n7htr9][/url:18n7htr9][/size:18n7htr9] :CROWN: :CROWN: [url=http://www.leaguefreak.com:18n7htr9]//www.leaguefreak.com[/url:18n7htr9] [url=http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=leaguefreak:18n7htr9]League Freaks Forum[/url:18n7htr9] - [url=http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=LeagueFreak:18n7htr9]League Freaks Youtube[/url:18n7htr9] - [url=http://www.ihaterugbyunion.com:18n7htr9]IHateRugbyUnion.com[/url:18n7htr9] [url=http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=19&mforum=leaguefreak:18n7htr9]Dutoni's Rugby Union Forum[/url:18n7htr9]:10139.jpg

Quote: Asim "When you're the best, you don't adapt to copy what the rest are doing.

The thing is whether it's a fast ptb, or a slow ptb - we can't play it to anything like the standard they do down under anyway.

Still, as long as the league is close, and we can blame anyone else from the refs to the Aussies for our failings - [sizewho really cares if the product is sub-standard?[/size'"

At least you're an honest pom.

26 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
26 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.265625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Accounts
the fax in a
45m
Salford H Moved to Thursday
Zig
47m