JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
21910.gif
[u:b26ka63j][size=150:b26ka63j][color=black:b26ka63j][b:b26ka63j]I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying. [/b:b26ka63j][/color:b26ka63j][/size:b26ka63j][/u:b26ka63j] [size=117:b26ka63j]Michael Jordan[/size:b26ka63j]:21910.gif

Quote: af "Halley's had his chances, you're rewriting history there. If he was a McNamara signing I have no doubt you'd be decrying him as another that is not good enough.

I think we've established now that you refuse to consider context, refuse to look beyond results in the short term, refuse to consider the fact that the two clubs that have kept a settled squad supplimented by quality academy products (oh, and one Man of Steel shortlister a piece courtesy of us) have been head and shoulders above all the rest during McNamara's reign. [sizeNo one's got closer than we did in 2007 and no one's particularly more consistent. [/sizePeople still gnash their teeth over our play-off exit to Wigan by a single point that year - Catalans followed up their third place finish by conceding fifty to them. People are quoting Cas and Quins as examples of what can be done, but did you check their boards last year? There were the exact same moans as on here about how clueless the players, the same mistakes made over and over again...

It boils down to this. It's not as bad as you make out, and there is no short-cut to success in any case (Bird could have been it, but sh.t happens). We're not particularly well off, we're no longer particuarly well supported, I'm hoping that Hood et al show particularly large balls, face down the mob and see the plan through. That's the only realistic way I can see Bradford becoming exceptional again.'"
Is that the 2007 where we only won 3 of our last 9 matches.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31813
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

After the successful Leeds side of 99 fell apart it took them five years before they won anything again. Taking out that 99 Challenge Cup Leeds were "in transition" for over 30 years.

Can we expect the green shoots of recovery to show this season? I'd hope it's not going to take us much longer. There was a 17 year gap between us winning major trophies 1980-1997 and 30 year gap 1949-1979. That's almost Leeds-esque

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

Quote: Duckman "Being of the generally positive pursuation, I've been backing McNamara and espeically the long term plan to bring through another generation of young stars, as i dont really see the point of sacking him in the final year of his contract for little guarenteed improvement.'"

Seems reasonable. though you do have to contend with people who want to knwo why the generation fo young stars haven't won the Cup, WCC and SL Trophy in these first 3 weeks.

Quote: Duckman "So I agree with most of your sentiments af. However, where I have a problem is why does all the long term solutions need to be so tightly pinned to Mcnamara? '"

They don't, necessarily; it's a given that 99% of all coaches in all sports move on, most sooner rather than later, it's just that on all reports, it is McNamara that has been the persuasive factor in our signings of the Burgesses etc.

Quote: Duckman "But generally I wouldnt advocate sacking McNamara this year unless an absolute collapse of form and lack of wins occurs, which you cant forecast from a disjointed start to the year IMHO (we look rusty from not playing decent opposition in pre season if you ask me, some of the attacking failings in the first two games are what i would expect in preseason) where with a bit more luck and intellegent rugby we'd have won at least one out of two against two well organised and determined teams.'"

If it had not been for Jeffries' brainfart we had already got the 2 points vs HKR. They also beat Saints away, and should by all accounts have beaten Leeds, so at this stage of the season aren't playing like whipping boys, much though it suits the case of the NT to make facile generalisations like "we 'should' be beating 'teams like these' ".

If Tadulala had not lost hold of the ball in the act of scoring we would almost certainly not have lost to Huddersfield either, however disjointed much of our attacking was. A battle-hardened Hudds. were fresh off the back of a fine victory at Catalans, who were a better team than us last season, so it came as no surprise to find them as competitive as they were.

If we won our game in hand today then we would be up to joint 4th, that's how bad it is. We've already seen enough to know that our pack can more than mix it with the best, and the defence is very good if not yet perfect, so we aren't that far off at all.

Quote: Duckman "It all feels a bit cr@p at the mo, but I agree that its not as bad as some make out.....yet (ask me again after we play Nobles mob)'"

No Burgess, no Langley, no Solomona, no Deacon . . . sounds tailor-made for a famous victory to me.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4035
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jan 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30148_1289234681.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_30148.jpg

Quote: Ferocious Aardvark "

They don't, necessarily; it's a given that 99% of all coaches in all sports move on, most sooner rather than later, it's just that on all reports, it is McNamara that has been the persuasive factor in our signings of the Burgesses etc. .'"

This is my point, coaches move on, the club carrys on, if its McNamara or no long term then we have bigger problems as a club than just McNamara. but as it is McNamara who has instigated this turn around in youth policy then I see no reason (barring my previous caveats) why he cant at least be given this season, up to the end of his contract.

If it had not been for Jeffries' brainfart we had already got the 2 points vs HKR. They also beat Saints away, and should by all accounts have beaten Leeds, so at this stage of the season aren't playing like whipping boys, much though it suits the case of the NT to make facile generalisations like "we 'should' be beating 'teams like these' ".

If Tadulala had not lost hold of the ball in the act of scoring we would almost certainly not have lost to Huddersfield either, however disjointed much of our attacking was. A battle-hardened Hudds. were fresh off the back of a fine victory at Catalans, who were a better team than us last season, so it came as no surprise to find them as competitive as they were.

If we won our game in hand today then we would be up to joint 4th, that's how bad it is. We've already seen enough to know that our pack can more than mix it with the best, and the defence is very good if not yet perfect, so we aren't that far off at all.'"

I agree, with all the possesion we had, a lucky/scrappy try early on against Hudds or Hull KR could have seen a confidence start to flow in our attack that is certainly absent at the moment. Huddersfield and Hull KR are both playing well at the moment, whereas we were playing like we were in preseason, (partly the coachs fault, but not entirely) And I think we are guilty as Bradford fans of not giving enough regonition to the two teams we have played, they both played well and took their "limited" chances well. (one of HKR's trys was from a quick tap after a restart on the 20, not that they systematically took us apart)

No Burgess, no Langley, no Solomona, no Deacon . . . sounds tailor-made for a famous victory to me.'"

We might do it, and surely thats the point of it all?? as long as some improvement is shown and its a good game I wont be slitting my wrists even if we lose again, which is quite possible away at Wigan....but far from certain IMO, playing two weeks on the spin will help for a start.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14145No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45.jpg

Quote: Ferocious Aardvark "No Burgess, no Langley, no Solomona, no Deacon . . . sounds tailor-made for a famous victory to me.'"

No Lynch...maybe no Godwin...sure in the wars right now. We can't use the injuries as any excuse though given how the likes of Wakefield have performed in adversity.

"My centre is giving way, my right is retreating; situation excellent. I shall
attack!"

Maybe this time out we will.

Deja vu...wonder who'll fill the JP role for us this time round?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

Quote: Duckman "..
We might do it, and surely thats the point of it all?? '"

icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12310
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28396_1358365565.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28396.jpg

Quote: af "Hello darkness my old friend...'"
icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4035
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jan 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30148_1289234681.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_30148.jpg

Quote: redeverready "IMO that's what every one is hoping and the main grumble about the Huddersfield game as their wasn't any improvement from the Hull KR game.'"

Fair point, I was grumbling as much as anybody on the way out, talking about "dumb" rugby with a lack of creativity.

But it is early in the season, we have not had any consistancy even this early, both in our scheduling and in the injuries we've picked up and we could still have had results against two decent teams on form even with us playing that badly. So I stand by my notion that its not as desperate yet as some people think IMHO (other people obviously differ in expectation I guess)

I just think we need to stick to saving severe critisim for after a decent run of games and then see where we are, after say, I dunno, 10 games??? sure I heard that somewhere icon_wink.gif

af
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman10445No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Aug 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
731.jpg
Bradford gave us Hockney, Leeds gave us Moyles.:731.jpg

Quote: Duckman "Could the "club, Hood et al" rather than just the coach not be the driving force to reinvent itself? Such that if we replace the head coach for whatever reason with a suitably qualifed and respected replacement (insert name here) that the new regime can continue any good work whilst attempting to rectify any percieved failings on the pitch. So the kids and stars like Burgess stay and the community programs and Cumbria scouting continue, irrespective of the head coach as the "Bradford Club" has good long term plans not just the coach.

I'd hate to think our entire long term future if dependant upon McNamara alone, if he ends up being very successful (stay with me ME and others "Hood et al" doesn't add up to much - Hood says he never wanted the job on a permanent basis and our board of directors is pretty sply populated. That's not to decry the job they've been doing - people like to take the p.ss out of Odsal pipedreams but regardless of whether this comes off or not the club seem to have worked their ar5e off to make it a possibility by building a grand coalition of partners. But I think it's a lot to expect that they be intimately involved with the playing side of things.

When it comes to onfield matters, things have been largely left to SM AFAIK. I think the strategy is a good one that has worked in other sports - Wenger, Moyes, Ferguson, O Neill all seem to be in charge of all aspects football-related. Now you're right to raise the question as to what happens if he clears off. For many of the young players he has brought through, the club's unique selling point - Steve McNamara - would have gone and so they would be open to offers from elsewhere. However, better to have one inpermanent USP than none at all.

If SM leaves or gets hit by a bus then the club will have to cope as best they can. But let's hope that he isn't, and let's not shove him off the pavement ourselves, metaphorically or physically.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach8877No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/combustable.gif
Red Amber and Black Fantasy Rugby League Champion 2012. By far the most sensible posts on this thread have come from mystic eddie. - copyright Ewwenorfolk 09.04.2013 Aye, and Eddie is hinting at it too. And, as we all know: Mystic Eddie has been right all along! - copyright vbfg 05.01.2017:Others/combustable.gif

Quote: af "Hello darkness my old friend...'"

Oh dear, I may as well indulge you.

Why does every argument you have, have to be a case of "who/what is better than what we have"?

Wigan have made a couple of GF eliminators, Hull KR are showing improvement as are Catalans, Huddersfield, Wakefield (under Kear) and to a lesser extent, Castleford. Hull FC and Wire have disappointed obviously.

The fact remains though that clubs like KR, Wakey, Cas and the Cats are at least showing signs of improvement and a genuine hope. (In fact, it may have escaped your notice but the Catalans lost their manager to a superior side, hence was his achievements at the club.)

We are showing no improvement, a fact that you clearly refuse to accept despite plenty of opinion (evidence?) to the contrary?

However, as you wish to dwell on your on points, hows' about you answer the points I put to you about McNamara's signings?

122 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
122 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.966796875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
Jake the Peg
2m
Round 26 Wigan Away
Sir Gregory
6m