FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Bradford Bulls > Is The Dream Over?
98 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4035
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Jan 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30148_1289234681.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_30148.jpg

Quote: pie.warrior "probably because in the background they are checking to see if Fev, Fax or Leigh can put together a credible package to bid for a mini licence.....no point having a process if the 3 teams mentioned can't put together a bid. If they can't an SL clubs want a 14 team league then the Bulls are in, if they can then the RFL have at least gone down the route of appearing to make it look like there is a fair process for teams to gain entry to SL before they then decide that the Bulls have the best bid'"

I'd guess theres some truth in this.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1012
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cripesginger "I explained earlier that the criteria and the assessment used in 2011 did fail. And that those criteria were based on 3 year cycle and the 'new' club was to be promoted from the championship. Now we have a shorter cycle, the assessment of the Bulls finances was potentially flawed and one of the potential SL clubs is a new company. So the 2011 criteria and assessments may not be applicable. If this is so then a different approach is needed and creating it may take several weeks.

I agree with you that this considerable inconvenience and the need to try and create a new assessment system at short notice is primarily the fault of the old Bulls management. Most unfortunate.'"

I still say the licensing criteria isn't wrong but the assessment of the finances has been shown to be wrong in the Bulls case. Nobody else has failed financially and the Bull's haven't failed in the other criteria so it suggests that the rules are actually pretty good.

The 2011 criteria are the criteria every other club in SL are adhering to so why should any 14th club (not just the Bulls) be assessed by stricter criteria?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14145No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45.jpg

Quote: childofthenorthern "Nobody else has failed financially YET...?'"

But the sands have shifted. And the foundations are crumbling. And some of the more astute of those involved know this. Not that you have to be that astute to read the code in various recent statements and relevations.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4332
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
54039_1294695296.jpg
[b:p889vjdy][i:p889vjdy][color=#FF0000:p889vjdy]BULLSBOY2011:[/color:p889vjdy][/i:p889vjdy][/b:p889vjdy] [i:p889vjdy][color=#0000FF:p889vjdy][size=85:p889vjdy]'Pain is temporary, Pride is forever!'[/size:p889vjdy][/color:p889vjdy][/i:p889vjdy] [color=#FF40BF:p889vjdy]Bradford Bulls Fan Since Birth :)[/color:p889vjdy]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_54039.jpg

I think they are still assessing it against the 2011 criteria. Or a revised one where they have corrected the flaws so they know EXACT finances etc. Wasn't it reported not long ago that Halifax made a £20,000 profit. Would they decline to come up if selected because they face potential losses?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1012
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Adeybull "But the sands have shifted. And the foundations are crumbling. And some of the more astute of those involved know this. Not that you have to be that astute to read the code in various recent statements and relevations.'"

That's apparent, so the RFL are playing politics to avoid being tied to a particular outcome in the event any other club sadly goes in to administration. The effect of this is the Bull's are left in limbo and other clubs and players can't plan ahead with any certainty.
Their operational rules are vague enough to be able to deal on a case by case basis without breaking any rules, so there is still no practical reason why they can't deal with the 1 currently in front of them.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14145No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45.jpg

Quote: childofthenorthern "That's apparent, so the RFL are playing politics to avoid being tied to a particular outcome in the event any other club sadly goes in to administration. The effect of this is the Bull's are left in limbo and other clubs and players can't plan ahead with any certainty.
Their operational rules are vague enough to be able to deal on a case by case basis without breaking any rules, so there is still no practical reason why they can't deal with the 1 currently in front of them.'"

Does have the practical effect of appearing to punish us by ensuring we cannot be competitive next year, regardless of what their actual motives are.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1300No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: childofthenorthern "I still say the licensing criteria isn't wrong but the assessment of the finances has been shown to be wrong in the Bulls case. Nobody else has failed financially and the Bull's haven't failed in the other criteria so it suggests that the rules are actually pretty good.

The 2011 criteria are the criteria every other club in SL are adhering to so why should any 14th club (not just the Bulls) be assessed by stricter criteria?'"

Getting the assessment of Bulls finances wrong is a substantial error. There are a couple of clubs just about clinging on.

Not saying the criteria have to be stricter , different. SL looked at things like attendances over 3 years, whether clubs had won the N Rail cup or got to a GF in last 3 years. We have had less than a season of the new licence period. There was nothing in the 2011 criteria re assessing a club that had gone into admin and been taken over. dealing with these new variables is not impossible, it may take time and this works against whatever club gets the green light.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17121No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: Bullseye "and frankly I don't have the time. '"

eusa_liar.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star884No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2017Jun 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cripesginger "Getting the assessment of Bulls finances wrong is a substantial error. There are a couple of clubs just about clinging on.'"

The assumption here, when people say the RFL assessment must have been poor as they didn't predict what would happen to our finances, is that there was evidence of an existing problem and that the events causing our meltdown haven't occurred after the licencing process. The RFL assessment could have been fine but the problem has occurred later.

Our finances could have looked rosey back then (or no worse than anyone elses i.e. about a £200K loss) for all we know.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17121No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: jockabull "The assumption here, when people say the RFL assessment must have been poor as they didn't predict what would happen to our finances, is that there was evidence of an existing problem and that the events causing our meltdown haven't occurred after the licencing process. The RFL assessment could have been fine but the problem has occurred later.

Our finances could have looked rosey back then (or no worse than anyone elses i.e. about a £200K loss) for all we know.'"

Blake Solly said on the radio a few weeks back that Bulls 'pacakge' (I can't remember what business-speak term he used) was in the top 3 when they looked at it 15 months ago.

RankPostsTeam
International Star884No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2017Jun 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: tigertot "Blake Solly said on the radio a few weeks back that Bulls 'pacakge' (I can't remember what business-speak term he used) was in the top 3 when they looked at it 15 months ago.'"

Cheers, hadn't seen that. I guess that gives us a few options then. The RFL process is indeed rubbish. We made a good sales pitch and/or actively misled the RFL. Everything was genuinely fine 15 months ago and has then gone all Pete Tong.

If its the latter it makes me even more curious about just what it was the pushed us over the edge all of a sudden.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1012
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cripesginger "snip ...
There was nothing in the 2011 criteria re assessing a club that had gone into admin and been taken over. dealing with these new variables is not impossible, it may take time and this works against whatever club gets the green light.'"

Agreed, it penalises the clubs involved in this process which atm is Bradford but

rlhttp://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jul/26/wakefield-super-league-licence-crusadersrl

The relevant bit in that article is this

Lewis refused to explain the decision when pressed about Wakefield's failure to meet the terms of their existing licence. "The rules for licensing are very much that they can be revoked in the future," he said.

So in July 2011 the RFL stated that licences could be revoked and yet over a year later they haven't a plan in place to deal with that exact situation. Blake Solly is the compliance manager so they have someone in place who's job it is but still no plan.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1149
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2019Nov 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

When I started out in business it wasn't unusual for many organisations to have five year business plans which were normally fairly accurate , but in the current climate such is the pace of change, and uncertainty of demand, it isn't easy to forecast even into the next quarter. So while you can see the way the franchise system works in three year blocks the RFL will be reviewing the projections for the following years of the next license period and however diligently the plan has been put together there must be massive uncertainty in the 2nd and 3rd years.
I suspect the Bulls application would also have included items like the community program, youth developement etc - non-financial elements but which would have strengthened the overall bid in the eyes of the RFL.
What I don't know is what if any stress testing the RFL would have done on the plans eg what if you have a bad year on the pitch in year 1 and loose 30% of your fans, or cut your ticket prices in half in the hope that you double the attendences?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

Quote: childofthenorthern "...
So in July 2011 the RFL stated that licences could be revoked and yet over a year later they haven't a plan in place to deal with that exact situation. Blake Solly is the compliance manager so they have someone in place who's job it is but still no plan.'"

I think that's unfair, while it would have helped us if the RFL had acted quicker, I wouldn't think you could have a plan that would anywhere near cover what to do in such necessarily bespoke circumstances. Plus, surely that exact situation (whether or not to revoke a licence) is exactly what they are dealing with, and I suppose the nearest you could have to a plan is to look at what happened, look at the proposals and look at the new owner, and decide whether to continue or to revoke. Ideally it could have been done quicker, and the delay (plus the huge logistical problems no doubt caused by the "liquidation at midnight" ultimatum pressure and having to do the deal at the drop of a proverbial hat "or else", have significantly cost us - and will cost us - much more (in many respects, but not least in being unable to plan, unable to sign or renew contracts, while in limbo); but I don't dispute that it had to be done.

As to the existing licence, how could the RFL could have known that our meltdown from a highly successful club into a crap, not-even-playoff-team would persist for years?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1012
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Ferocious Aardvark "I think that's unfair, while it would have helped us if the RFL had acted quicker, I wouldn't think you could have a plan that would anywhere near cover what to do in such necessarily bespoke circumstances. Plus, surely that exact situation (whether or not to revoke a licence) is exactly what they are dealing with, and I suppose the nearest you could have to a plan is to look at what happened, look at the proposals and look at the new owner, and decide whether to continue or to revoke.'"

Looking at the proposals and the new owner has already been dealt with when OK Bull's had to submit business plans, proof of funding and pass a fit and proper persons test to be ratified for RFL membership. All that's a clear path, prior to any decision on what division we play in, and appears to have been done in reasonable time scale once the OK Bulls deal was done.
What's missing is the process to decide what division and that could have been in place especially since the RFL were publicly talking about revoking licences in 2011 and they have known a decision would have to be made since June. It's not a linear process to complete 1 thing (RFL membership) before starting on the next.

<conspiracythoeryalert>Perhaps they're hoping Featherstone, Halifax and other potential candidates start selling season tickets for the Championship thus making it a non decision</conspiracythoeryalert>

98 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
98 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.7333984375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
WIZEB
14m
Other Championship Clubs
Trojan Horse
17m