FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Bradford Bulls > Going, Going, Gone.
162 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4540
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19767.jpg
:19767.jpg

I wonder why the meeting isn't taking place at Odsal.

You'd have thought the Coral Stand would be the obvious venue?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14145No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45.jpg

Quote: paulwalker71 "I wonder why the meeting isn't taking place at Odsal.

You'd have thought the Coral Stand would be the obvious venue?'"

I can think of any number of reasons, tbh. I'd guess it was happening at either the offices of whatever insolvency practitioners or accountants are advising Caisley, or maybe at his firm's offices. Or could be at Rot Hall, since the RFL will doubtless play a significant part in what comes next? Holding offsite anyway ensures some degree of confidentiality, for one thing, maybe including the identities of some of the participants? In their situation, I would hold it offsite. But, again, I merely speculate and there could easily be other reasons.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain Build Bridges NOT Walls:1271.jpg

Quote: Stul "Why does the meeting need to be in Leeds?

I know the answer to that, but I'd much rather they were in Bradford.'"

I'd guess the meeting will take place at Walker Morris' capacious(?) premises, which just happen to be in leeds.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1992No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34183_1277913198.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34183.jpg

Quote: Adeybull "If what Coulby said was true, and the WHOLE truth and not just selective extracts of the truth, then - as well as being quite extraordinary, it goes some way to explaining why the black hole had to be significantly larger than we were told. It HAD to be, because when you do the maths (as I did) we should have been left with ample from the sale of the lease to clear down any non-day to day liabilities. The fact that we clearly were NOT HAS to mean there were more historic liabilities than we had been told about, IMO. I've said that in private almost from the start, as others will attest.

And I have seen references to a couple of clear candidates in previous posts on this forum.

BUT, all that said, to me everything - including specific responses from the BoD - pointed towards the pledge £1/2m being enough to clear down those liabilities, which was the previous BoD's line and which was why I supported the pledge as being the only game in town. And, for me most importantly of all, in discussions I raised the matter of trading whilst insolvent, and I felt it was clear Hood was fully aware of the consequences of that, and had been advised accordingly.

IF they called in the pledges recklessly, without reasonable expectation that by doing so then insolvency should be avoided, then I believe the BoD Could be personally liable for losses people incurred as a result. Which is why I suspect that, on balance of probabilities, there are no big crystalised liabilities still waiting to be discovered. But I can only form a view based on information and explanations made available, and on the assumption that the BoD was at least moderately competent.

I don't think I'm betraying any great secrets by saying that I was told, by highest-placed sources on more than one occasion, that CC's intervention - together with those of Sutcliffe and Preston and some other public statements - made things very much more difficult for the BoD in trying to raise funds. Indeed, Hood as good as said that in public by confirming that new investors were unlikely to want to complete deals with guys whom the owners of the business were in the course of seeking to remove.

My own opinion, FWIW, was and remains that that could have been the intent, and it is also my opinion that the intervention probably contributed to the delay in confirming that the pledge would be called in. But we'll likely never know for sure one way or the other, and I stress I do and can only speculate. I hope that, on the former at least, I am wrong. And we'll almost certainly never know now whether, left to their own devices, the BoD would have pulled it off, so the whole issue has now become hypothetical anyway.

But if Hood & Co were to have called the pledges in if there were still substantial financial skeletons in the closet that called into question the survival of the company, then IMO they would have been reckless crazy fools. And, whatever folk may think of Hood, I really can't see Ryan being party to anything like that, risking major personal liability?

For those reasons, whilst I am quite sure we were never told the whole truth, equally I find it very hard to believe we were told a pack of lies.

But I've got to the stage that little in this whole sad, sorry saga would surprise me any more.'"

Some fair points in there, and it's rare for me to type as such.

A key factor for any potential investor is quite simply that the injection of funds (and alignment) is both viable and will provide some kind of ROI. Similarly, if the potential investors have a view that an existing administration has been both dysfunctional and negligent then it would be only the brave and narcissistic who would progress. Given that more than explicable scenario awaiting the removal of key members of a misfiring management seems perfect common sense.

I do think Ryan Duckett needs to be given elements of credit for the way he has conducted himself in the media, under quite a bright spotlight. Remaining positive is critical in all elements of successful business and this he has done publically. My concern, rightly or wrongly, is that a CEO is a core part of any financial guidance, structuring (alongside player recruitment) and given the evident parlous situation, which I'm sure may prove to be even more perilous than is currently publically evident, him remaining as CEO may be actually, untenable. Notwithstanding the financial elements, our player recruitment has been abominable over recent years given our relative salary cap spend and that in itself to most fans who care primarily for the on-field production and cast members, is a core facet to be analysed.

Credit must go to Hood for stepping down, and yes as a highly vitriolic critic of his on frequent basis that doesn't come easily, I simply hope he hasnt misled the fans as I may suspect regarding any further chasm and financial black hole. It is also clear that the "review" by CC, SC et al is simply that prior to determining the exact course of action needed. For us to guess what any "intention" may be is futile given that they are not yet in a position to have fully assessed where we are as a club. Sweeping the office of dust won't get rid of the rotten timber.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg

I rather suspect that the key decisions that have most bearing on the current mess, including signings and overall financial control, were handled by Hood.

In my opinion, Ryan has done a superb public job this last few weeks, in pretty dire circumstances and with sod all support from his Chairman.

In fact, I believe Ryan does a pretty outstanding job generally, especially given the serious lack of resources at his disposal. He is also, in my opinion, one of the most genuine and decent blokes you could hope to meet. I very very much hope that he is retained at a senior level in the new structure, and that his role is not handed to Tasker unless it is clear to all parties that that would be a significant improvement.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3994
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13554.jpg
The phrase politically correct is in itself politcally incorrect so should be rephrased politically stupid! If you like old type radio comedy/ dramas etc listen to //pumpkinfm.com/ Statistically speaking you have a better chance of getting dead the older you get! Thank god only when you find a religion that passes the truth test!:13554.jpg

I get the feeling that the "Cohorts" are struggling for or maybe not even bothering with getting new investment, administration became more a probability than possibility as soon as Peter Hood stepped down.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1992No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34183_1277913198.jpg

Quote: Adeybull "I rather suspect that the key decisions that have most bearing on the current mess, including signings and overall financial control, were handled by Hood.

In my opinion, Ryan has done a superb public job this last few weeks, in pretty dire circumstances and with sod all support from his Chairman.

In fact, I believe Ryan does a pretty outstanding job generally, especially given the serious lack of resources at his disposal. He is also, in my opinion, one of the most genuine and decent blokes you could hope to meet. I very very much hope that he is retained at a senior level in the new structure, and that his role is not handed to Tasker unless it is clear to all parties that that would be a significant improvement.'"

Elements I'd concur with there but I'd prefer a CEO at a sports club who had more strength to personally handle key elements including the playing roster and critically, strategic brand guidance. If that's not the case, then he is simply a CEO by proxy, solely dealing with the bits Hood didn't like, PR for one.

My additional concern is the wind blowing. Loyalty is one thing, flaky wind blowing is another (which people may view it as) to switch from Camp Hood to Team Caisley and accompanying flag waving to mitigate ones position. Ryan is seemingly a very pleasant guy. But being merely a nice guy and a hand shaker doesn't make anybody Donald Trump. It's all about the bottom line.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach850No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2014Jul 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Never liked Kevin Costner, or any other Robbing Hood!!!!:

Quote: Adeybull "I rather suspect that the key decisions that have most bearing on the current mess, including signings and overall financial control, were handled by Hood.

In fact, I believe Ryan does a pretty outstanding job generally, especially given the serious lack of resources at his disposal. He is also, in my opinion, one of the most genuine and decent blokes you could hope to meet. I very very much hope that he is retained at a senior level in the new structure, and that his role is not handed to Tasker unless it is clear to all parties that that would be a significant improvement.'"

absolutely agree 100%. How many CEOs in his situation would be literally on the terraces as he was at the Leeds match. What people dont see or wish to see is that in order to try and make the business work, every bit of economising has been done at this club, especially on the admin staff side of things,whilst attempting to not hit the playing side of things. Bradford City run with lots more permanent staff than we do, and effectively the club has been asking the employees left, to fill various roles!

This could of course have turned out to be a false economy, as more workload often means lower quality, but over the last 6 years that has been the hand the club has been dealt. Your view whether they could have played it better will probably depend on a large portion of hindsight!!

The Likes of Debbie Robinson, Andrea in the shop, Duffy and Raz, (sorry if ive left anyone out) have effectively been left spinning far too many plates than they should have been! perhaps this has contributed to the situation, or perhaps it has delayed the inevitable?? who knows.

Hopefully some positive news will come form the meeting in the next 24 hours, followed in the next week by Coulby, Caisley et al announcing that the club is safe and we are moving onwards and upwards. I can dream cant i?

Oh and by the way. Ryan is genuinely in both Camp Caisley and Camp Hood! remember he's been at the club a lot longer than the years he's been CEO. IIRC, he first came to the club on work placemnet in the 95-96 centenary season! He could and should be the glue that could bring it all back together!

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach9986No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2019Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13747_1541715311.jpg
[b:3g5rrn89](and I feel fine)[/b:3g5rrn89]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_13747.jpg

Has the Dark Lord moved in yet?

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg

Quote: Gurus_Beard "Elements I'd concur with there but I'd prefer a CEO at a sports club who had more strength to personally handle key elements including the playing roster and critically, strategic brand guidance. If that's not the case, then he is simply a CEO by proxy, solely dealing with the bits Hood didn't like, PR for one.

My additional concern is the wind blowing. Loyalty is one thing, flaky wind blowing is another (which people may view it as) to switch from Camp Hood to Team Caisley and accompanying flag waving to mitigate ones position. Ryan is seemingly a very pleasant guy. But being merely a nice guy and a hand shaker doesn't make anybody Donald Trump. It's all about the bottom line.'"

Elements I'd concur with THERE too. I'd like to see a CEO who is empowered by his chairman to act 100% in that role, without having to defer to the chairman on key day to day decisions and with the support structure in place so he can concentrate on being an effective CEO and not just a General Manager of Everything. Bit like Hetherington at Leeds. I felt that was a handicap Ryan was operating with under the Hood regime. Whether Caisley will afford his CEO - be it Ryan, Tasker or Donald Trump, any more scope and any more support resources I guess we'll just have to wait and see?

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg

Quote: debaser "Has the Dark Lord moved in yet?'"

I think the little matter of Ryan (as last man standing) appointing him as a director probably needs to happen first?

But whilst I think Sauron on the board would scare the sheite out of the rest of the competition, we need to know about Caisley & co too...?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1992No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34183_1277913198.jpg

Quote: isaac1 "absolutely agree 100%. How many CEOs in his situation would be literally on the terraces as he was at the Leeds match. What people dont see or wish to see is that in order to try and make the business work, every bit of economising has been done at this club, especially on the admin staff side of things,whilst attempting to not hit the playing side of things. Bradford City run with lots more permanent staff than we do, and effectively the club has been asking the employees left, to fill various roles!

This could of course have turned out to be a false economy, as more workload often means lower quality, but over the last 6 years that has been the hand the club has been dealt. Your view whether they could have played it better will probably depend on a large portion of hindsight!!

The Likes of Debbie Robinson, Andrea in the shop, Duffy and Raz, (sorry if ive left anyone out) have effectively been left spinning far too many plates than they should have been! perhaps this has contributed to the situation, or perhaps it has delayed the inevitable?? who knows.

Hopefully some positive news will come form the meeting in the next 24 hours, followed in the next week by Coulby, Caisley et al announcing that the club is safe and we are moving onwards and upwards. I can dream cant i?

Oh and by the way. Ryan is genuinely in both Camp Caisley and Camp Hood! remember he's been at the club a lot longer than the years he's been CEO. IIRC, he first came to the club on work placemnet in the 95-96 centenary season! He could and should be the glue that could bring it all back together!'"

All very accurate.

Duckett for me should retain a place as a senior manager at the club, no question. I do however query his best fit as a CEO.

The aforementioned names have also contributed significantly over the years. Quite how Duffy may fit into that structure given his hatred of CC will be interesting. However the PR emanating from the club in recent years, has been dire.

Adey, quite correct, the Chairman will need to empower the CEO and I would also hope whoever both are have the nuts to stand and deliver and not be pacified with a proxy role. I'm not sure CC would want a nodding dog in any case. I may be wrong. It happened once...

RankPostsTeam
International Star1795No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2021Jan 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
54218_1349939535.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_54218.jpg

It will be interesting to see if there are any material black holes (other than Odsal), and who puts investment in, Caisleys Hoods or both. It sounds as if Hoods have held back so it might just be that Caisley won the war by PR ie Coulbys revelations were aimed at putting off Hoods investors.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain Build Bridges NOT Walls:1271.jpg

Quote: martinwildbull "It will be interesting to see if there are any material black holes (other than Odsal), and who puts investment in, Caisleys Hoods or both. It sounds as if Hoods have held back so it might just be that Caisley won the war by PR ie Coulbys revelations were aimed at putting off Hoods investors.'"

I desperately hope you are wrong with that assessment. The mere thought that one, or both, parties were playing politics with a club they both clearly have a great affection for, fills me with despair to be frank.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner421No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2012Jul 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Rhinos rock on:

Ryan Duckett is a lovely guy. Having had the pleasure of working with him for a couple of years from 1999 onwards I was delighted when he was appointed.

I really hope he is kept on in a senior role.

162 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
162 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.03173828125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth Consecutive Title
RLFANS News
9m
Recruitment rumours and links
Fantastic Mr
14m