Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34183_1277913198.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34183.jpg

Quote: Bullseye "That's a pretty big vote of confidence.'"

Absolutely and intended to be so.

Quote: Bullseye "McDermott will have to manage a transition at Leeds.'"

I've yet to see anyone explain this "transition" myth.
Donald played little footy compared to previous years, Smith and others replaced.
Eastwood has been replaced by Cross, an excellent player albeit not like for like.
Diskin was poor this year and McShane and Hood will evidently push on.
Buderus is far more effective over 80 minutes.
Effectively 2 new signings in the form of Kalum Watkins and Ben Jones Bishop - they would walk into any SL squad, period. So where is this vast transition that people swathingly mention?
Clarkson, Pitts, Amor another year of development under their belts and with a coach who evidently revels in producing and enhancing young, home born athletes.
Squad rotation happens at every single club in the salary cap era - the Rhinos player turnover is no more grave than any other year.
Webb, Senior, Hall, McGuire, Burrow, JP, Bailey, Cross, Buderus, Ali, Ablett, Kylie, JJB, Sinfield etc would stroll into any SL team.
There squad quality is a country mile ahead of ours. Would they accommdate Sibbitt, Worrincy, Platt, Halley, Wagga, Hall, Kopczak, Sykes et al? Would they feck.

Quote: Bullseye "That's a very tough ask for anyone. I've yet to see what he's done that makes you so confident in him.'"

The comments of a number of senior Rhinos players regarding Macca.
His faith, development and belief in the youth system at Quins and batting way above their weight given the shackles he had.
He has produced London born England internationals. Had Wayne Bennett done that at Quins, a number of regular forum posters would be constantly wiping white liquid off their keyboards.
Potter has lost the last 3 Grand Finals - hardly inspiring given his roster of quality players.

What makes you think Potter is a superior appointment to McDermott?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31836
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

Well McDermott's tenure at Quins saw them finish in a lower league position each year IIRC.

The likes of Clubb and LMS came through under the watch of his predecessor. The current kids coming through seem to be less talented at the same stage. The performances of Quins seem to bear this out.

Good judges I have spoken to who watch a lot of Quins thought he lost the plot.

He'll have to manage a transition at Leeds as a number of senior players will become less influential with age and move on over the next few years. I'm thinking of the likes of Peacock, Sinfield, Senior etc. Add to that Buderus and Diskin already being gone and you have some pretty big boots to fill.

I don't see anything "evident" about McShane or Hood pushing on. McShane will most likely get more games but the jury is very firmly out on them. I'd be surprised if Leeds have a bunch of juniors coming through that will match the likes of Burrow, McGuire, Sinfield, Diskin, Bailey, etc. Generations like that don't come along often.

Notice I'm not comparing Leeds current player roster with our own. Of course Leeds have a stronger squad. I never said otherwise. However that team that one back to back titles is going to break up so maybe over the next few years the gap between the two sides will close, I'm sure it will, with the Bulls improving and Leeds falling back.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1992No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34183_1277913198.jpg

Quote: Bullseye "Well McDermott's tenure at Quins saw them finish in a lower league position each year IIRC.'"

As did his budget.

Quote: Bullseye "The likes of Clubb and LMS came through under the watch of his predecessor. The current kids coming through seem to be less talented at the same stage. The performances of Quins seem to bear this out.'"

And the rest of the London born batch? Less talented how? The performances reflect his lack of budget arguably, not his coaching ability, which many Rhinos senior place rate very highly. Ask JP.

Quote: Bullseye "Good judges I have spoken to who watch a lot of Quins thought he lost the plot.'"

What qualified them to be "good judges"? More so than a CEO who has presided over a hugely successful team?

Quote: Bullseye "He'll have to manage a transition at Leeds as a number of senior players will become less influential with age and move on over the next few years. I'm thinking of the likes of Peacock, Sinfield, Senior etc. Add to that Buderus and Diskin already being gone and you have some pretty big boots to fill.'"

Everybody ages, circle of life. The players you outline are outstanding and have gallons in the tank. Diskin did little this year, urban myth

Quote: Bullseye "I don't see anything "evident" about McShane or Hood pushing on. McShane will most likely get more games but the jury is very firmly out on them. I'd be surprised if Leeds have a bunch of juniors coming through that will match the likes of Burrow, McGuire, Sinfield, Diskin, Bailey, etc. Generations like that don't come along often.'"

How could McShane and Hood have pushed on with Diskin in situ? They now will and clearly many also agree. Nobody is expecting a next generation of the names outlined above, but Watkins, Clarkson, BJB, Pitts, Amor, McShane, Hood etc may well shock a fair few.

Quote: Bullseye "Notice I'm not comparing Leeds current player roster with our own. Of course Leeds have a stronger squad. I never said otherwise. However that team that one back to back titles is going to break up so maybe over the next few years the gap between the two sides will close, I'm sure it will, with the Bulls improving and Leeds falling back.'"
'"

Every team breaks up evolves and changes but we dont need to quote the obvious.

I will wager any money you wish sire, Rhinos finish higher than the Bulls in the next 3 years?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31836
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

I've no idea what McDermott's budget was. However having less money doesn't always mean that performances will deteriorate. Sure, he may not have been able to recruit who he wanted but he's not exactly brought through the new LMS or Clubb either. Just what has he done??

Is Hetherington infallible in your eyes? He's certainly done a grand job at Leeds but I remain to be convinced on this coaching appointment.

The players I listed may have a few years left in them but as they go over 30 those gallons deplete pretty rapidly, speaking from experience. Not all players are as well looked after or as lucky with injury as Steve Menzies.

McShane will obviously get a chance, Hood may do. It remains to be seen if they're good enough, they may well be, they may not. A bunch of Leeds fans saying they'll make it on RLfans doesn't make it so.

Watkins, Clarkson, BJB, Pitts, Amor, McShane, Hood - Of those I'd say they all have a few rough edges to say the least. The first three have potential. Pitts and Amor especially are nothing special and won't amount to anything much. McShane is ok and Hood hasn't played a 1st team game so can't be judged.

Will Leeds finish higher than the Bulls over the next three years? I'd say they probably will for the first 2 at least and are an excellent bet for the third.

However I would stick my neck out and say that Leeds won't win the SL title in the next 3 years. They glory days are passing and the likes of Wigan are looking the side to beat now.

Sire???

mat
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9553
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Bullseye "Will Leeds finish higher than the Bulls over the next three years? ]I'd say they probably will for the first 2 at least and are an excellent bet for the third.
]However I would stick my neck out and say that Leeds won't win the SL title in the next 3 years. They glory days are passing and the likes of Wigan are looking the side to beat now.

Sire???'"

tbh I dont doubt leeds will finish above us next year. But I think we could realistically be finishing around the same point in the table as them in 2012 through a combination of them slipping backwards and us improving. Sports cyclical no team stays at the top forever (as we've demonstrated perfectly over last few years). Think wigan and wire will be at top for next coupl of years with saints and leeds dropping back into pack a little and hopefully ourselves steadily rising back up toward the upper level over same period.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1992No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34183_1277913198.jpg

If my Auntie had balls she'd be my Uncle.

People overly complicate simple matters.

Rhinos are irrelevant to us. Brian Mac will lead his team to above us in the table, I've no doubt. GH's record explains itself more than I have any desire to. Mick Potters similarly. What has Potter achieved; other than consecutive failure. Take away the Aussie accent and the landscape may be different.

The age gap is guff. Each player on his merits. There is no set standard for retirement as we saw with Menzies.

They have faith in their youngsters. We are pis$sing about signing 32 year old printer lovers at the expense of our competent younger players. Yes the Rhinos youngsters will have rough edges, how many young players don't? How many of those wouldn't we take, especially given the grandstanding about the highly over hyped Burgess bros? I'm not sure I see your point especially given the rough edges of Ben Jones Bishop who made the international squad.

I'm tired of hearing about "sport cycles". What the typist actually means is "thank feck for that" rather than reality which is, actually, it could be any amount of time.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12310
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28396_1358365565.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28396.jpg

Gurus Beard, whilst I can see where you are coming from with alot of your points, it seems as though you're trying to put a negative spin on the Bulls and a positive one on the Rhinos.

I don't think McDermott will be a disastrous appointment as some would like to think, I don't think he'll be a brilliant one either.

Whilst he may have introduced plenty of young players, he's also finished in a lower position each year, made their best young talent (LMS) go backwards and completely lost the fiath of most of the Quins fans (okay there isn't many, and he has a bloody hard job)

If you were Mr Hood, would you have chosen Potter or McDermott? Fair enough, Potter has lost in a number of big finals, but you have to be a good coach to get your team there in the first place (especially with Catalans). Would McDermott have got Saints to the GF without either of their half backs? I doubt it. Saints have had plenty of injuries this season, and Potter managed to steer them to 2nd, i'm much happier having him take over than if McDermott had. Obviously all IMO, but I think you're giving McDermott far too much credit and Potter far too little.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1992No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34183_1277913198.jpg

Quote: Ewwenorfolk "Gurus Beard, whilst I can see where you are coming from with alot of your points, it seems as though you're trying to put a negative spin on the Bulls and a positive one on the Rhinos.

I don't think McDermott will be a disastrous appointment as some would like to think, I don't think he'll be a brilliant one either.

Whilst he may have introduced plenty of young players, he's also finished in a lower position each year, made their best young talent (LMS) go backwards and completely lost the fiath of most of the Quins fans (okay there isn't many, and he has a bloody hard job)

If you were Mr Hood, would you have chosen Potter or McDermott? Fair enough, Potter has lost in a number of big finals, but you have to be a good coach to get your team there in the first place (especially with Catalans). Would McDermott have got Saints to the GF without either of their half backs? I doubt it. Saints have had plenty of injuries this season, and Potter managed to steer them to 2nd, i'm much happier having him take over than if McDermott had.
Obviously all IMO, but I think you're giving McDermott far too much credit and Potter far too little.'"

The "spin" is irrelevant, I have no desire to the Rhinos do well. I am however objectively assessing how I feel both teams will progress.

What has Potter achieved? At Catalans, good budget, ex NRL players. No brainer. Lets not fluff up the obvious.

If I was Hood I would have employed Brian. No question.

This myth around LMS going backwards is just that, a myth. The views of the Quins fans likely don't factor in the limitations Mac had to deal with.

Nobody has explained why Rhinos players rate him so highly yet there view and a few Quins fans supposedly usurps it.

Perhaps I should repeat this for the cataract ridden amongst us, what has Potter achieved at Saints given his playing roster?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12310
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28396_1358365565.jpg

Quote: Gurus_Beard "Perhaps I should repeat this for the cataract ridden amongst us, what has Potter achieved at Saints given his playing roster?'"

With the injuries he had this year he managed to get them to 2nd and a GF, it is only in my opinion of course but I think that takes a very good coach.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1992No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34183_1277913198.jpg

Quote: Ewwenorfolk "With the injuries he had this year he managed to get them to 2nd and a GF, it is only in my opinion of course but I think that takes a very good coach.'"

Injuries? That every team had, including Rhinos who probably had the worst of any.

A playing roster of Wellens, Meli, Gidley, Eastmond, Graham, Roby, Cunningham, Peletua, Flannery, Soliola et al isn't too shabby.

I repeat, what has Potter done?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12310
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28396_1358365565.jpg

Quote: Gurus_Beard "I repeat, what has Potter done?'"

Took them to consecutive Grand Finals. Do you not agree that getting to a final is an achievement in itself?

What has McDermott done?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1992No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34183_1277913198.jpg

Quote: Ewwenorfolk "Took them to consecutive Grand Finals. Do you not agree that getting to a final is an achievement in itself? '"

With that playing roster, no.

Quote: Ewwenorfolk "What has McDermott done?'"

I've made that clear. As have the Rhinos senior players.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5280
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Ewwenorfolk "Took them to consecutive Grand Finals. Do you not agree that getting to a final is an achievement in itself?

What has McDermott done?'"

Took Quins to consecutive 12th place on the ladder and produced outstanding young talent like Lamont Bryant and Will Sharp

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12310
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28396_1358365565.jpg

Quote: Gurus_Beard "With that playing roster, no.
'"

You could have a team full of superstars and they'd still need a decent coach to get them to a final. The fact that they did it without Pryce or Eastmond means it took an even better one.

Do you have something against Potter? Or do you still have a soft spot for McDermott?

RankPostsTeam
International Star2163
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52996_1348516563.jpg
[quote="Will Ferrell":klj11krn] "Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cake and it can buy beer. I would say that's about even."[/quote:klj11krn] [quote="Ryan Bailey":klj11krn]My mum always said that there would be haters. Not everyone can love ya[/quote:klj11krn] Classic Bailey 8) [quote="McLaren_Field re Damo":klj11krn][quote="Neville Bartos":klj11krn]What is it that you contribute in exchange for your benefit payments?[/quote:klj11krn] He breathes out CO2, which helps the trees.[/quote:klj11krn]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_52996.jpg

What has McClennan done this term? Lost the dressing room. Gameplan was looked at by the players, if they didn't like it, they'd do their own thing and get away with it as McClennan didn't want to interrupt the team atmosphere.

115 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
115 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.72314453125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
karetaker
7m
Recruitment rumours and links
karetaker
17m
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
23m
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
Vancouver Le
24m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Emagdnim13
34m
Tonights match v HKR
karetaker
40m
Questions for Ste Mills
Little willy
45m
Realistic targets for 2025
giddyupoldfe
51m
Shopping list for 2025
al283
Recent
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Realistic targets for 2025
giddyupoldfe
19s
Tonights match v HKR
karetaker
26s
Questions for Ste Mills
Little willy
26s
Betting 2024
karetaker
32s
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
Trebor1
56s
Play-off semi-final
Scarlet Pimp
1m
TV Games - Not Hull
The games af
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
1m
Sam Burgess
fez1
1m
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
York Valkyrie Win Back to Back Grand Finals
RLFANS News
TODAY
NRL
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth Consecutive Title
RLFANS News
TODAY
Seeking favourite images from grounds - past or present
retrosports
TODAY
Grand final Tickets
moto748
TODAY
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
RoyBoy29
TODAY
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Questions for Ste Mills
Little willy
TODAY
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
rubber ducki
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
TODAY
Sam Burgess
fez1
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
karetaker
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
Championship Awards
FIL
TODAY
Season tickets
faxcar
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
York Valkyrie Win Back to Back..
Hunslet Book Relegation Play O..
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth..
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Gran..
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 3,165 80,13314,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
 FT
Hover 
Melbourne
6-14
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
 FT 
Keighley
6-20
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
 FT 
Bradford
25-12
Featherstone
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
 FT 
York V
18-8
St.HelensW
 Sat 12th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R30
18:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sun 13th Oct
       Championship 2024-R30
15:00
Swinton
v
Hunslet
Wakefield
v
York
17:00
Toulouse
v
Bradford
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley6-20Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V18-8St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne6-14Penrith
Sat 12th Oct
SL
18:00
Hull KR-Wigan
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 6th Oct
L1
LIVE
Keighley6-20Hunslet
CH
LIVE
Bradford25-12Featherstone
WSL2024
LIVE
York V18-8St.HelensW
NRL
LIVE
Melbourne6-14Penrith
Sat 5th Oct
CH 29 York27-10Widnes
SL 29 Wigan38-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 28 759 336 423 46
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 29 580 442 138 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Bradford 27 703 399 304 36
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 27 634 525 109 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22