JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: bewareshadows "he got flack for being a pretty boy, he gets flack for his tweets and gets flack for setting up a hairdressing business.

Basically he gets flack for using the most of what he has. '"

I can empathise, it happened to me a lot but I got through it.

RankPostsTeam
International Star303No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2013Nov 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52095_1280934862.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_52095.jpg

as long as he doesnt spit his dummy out when things arent going his way he could be a very good signing.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3213
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68505_1605979550.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68505.jpg

Quote: bewareshadows "I think it's a good deal for the Bulls. Worst case senario is if he is poor, then you only have him for one year. Best case senario he kicks on from his mid-season form in 2011 for Saints.

I wish him well, in a way he got too much flack at Saints to carry on and it was not always based on his Rugby. He'd get flack for wearing different boots( which is actually down to his sponsor, who would phone him up and give him some boots if the game was on SKY. If the sponsor is paying you, then you are going to wear their boots no matter how flash), he got flack for being a pretty boy, he gets flack for his tweets and gets flack for setting up a hairdressing business.

Basically he gets flack for using the most of what he has. In terms of Rugby for me he took a dip in his defensive displays mid-way through 2011. He started missing kicks etc and this got worse in 2012. He should have been dropped earlier at Saints but Royce kept picking him for his kicking that kept us in games.

Hope he does well as he is a local lad and taking a 12 month deal rather than sitting around at Saints shows he has some get up and go about him.'"

So what you're saying is that the Saints faithful took offence at an RL player ensuring that he has an income beyond his playing days? Seems fair icon_rolleyes.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8991
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47035_1386433761.gif
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47035.gif

Quote: roofaldo2 "So what you're saying is that the Saints faithful took offence at an RL player ensuring that he has an income beyond his playing days? Seems fair

If you add 'some of' before the saints faithful.

RankPostsTeam
International Star36No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2013Jun 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

the problem at saints was his fall out with some key young players who were playing regulary. you will also have noticed that lee gaskell was frozen out

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40218.jpg

Quote: W.BowlingBull "as long as he doesnt spit his dummy out when things arent going his way he could be a very good signing.'"

He didn't come across as a dummy spitter at Saints. Far from it.

I would ignore some Saints fans who are vindictive. Interesting that they are almost all male, generally older than Foster and generally resentful of his success with the ladies.

He has excellent positioning, he has pace (I have no idea where this idea that he doesn't comes from because it's blatantly inaccurate), he knows where the tryline is, he is safe under the bomb (only becoming anything like dodgy when his confidence takes a hit) and he is a real team player. He can also kick goals. His best goal kick for us came in the 2011 grand final when he lobbed over a penalty kick from the halfway line although during the 2011 and 2010 seasons he won us a game many times thanks to his kicking or, in one case, catching a bomb under intense pressure (2010 when we were giving the game away, as we so often did under Potter).

I would imagine he has signed for a year simply because the Bulls have a one year temporary licence.

If Cummins is a coach who works well with the young players like Simmons did then Foster should come on a treat with you. If he's the Rush type then he may well struggle.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3213
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68505_1605979550.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68505.jpg

Quote: bewareshadows "If you add 'some of' before the saints faithful.'"

I stand corrected, sir.

Well sit corrected, cos if I stand while typing I get a bad back.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman12738No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2024Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16.jpg
:16.jpg

I would concur with Bewareshadows comments.

Much of the criticism aimed at Foster was of a personal rather than playing nature.
It says a lot, that for many fans their main criticism of him was to refer to him as "Boyband"

Boybands being of course composed of handsome young males popular with teenage girls.
Jamie fitted those criteria, and this was a mortal sin for some male Saints fans.

The fact he opened a hair dressing business, a profession associated with "sissys" didnt enamour him to the more neanderthal of fans either. They probably preferred him to be breaking lumps of rock with his hands 500 feet underground.

Used right, Jamie is marketing gold for the Bulls.
Have him make a personal appearance in the city centre of Bradford, and just watch him attract girls and women like no other RL player around.

Playing wise Jamie is a diamond in the rough. His natural position is centre, and at academy level he represented England in that position. His winger by the way in the England team was Sean Ainscough, who was made to look like a worldbeater by Jamie who set him up for a number of trys with classical centre play.
At first team level he has so far only played on the wing. This is due i think in part to his lack of physical maturity. If he fills out as he matures, i see no reason why he cannot move into the centres and show people his real talent.

As a winger Jamie is no worldbeater, but he is someone who can read a game well and therefore knows the way to the line.Hence his excellent try scoring ratio. His lack of physicality means he doesnt make metres once in collision with opposition players. However he does have a knack of being able to see an unset defence and then go on a scamper, often from tap 20's.
Jamie blows hot and cold taking crossfield kicks, i think this is very much a confidence thing with him. He also isnt the greatest defensively. Especially if the opposition winger is a 15-16 stone bloke diving in at the corner.
Jamies real strength is in the kicking department. He is arguably the best goal kicker in the league. At academy level i recall he missed less than 10 kicks all season one year, and finished with goal kicking stats above 90% which is phenomenal. His kickoffs are also the best in the business, and this is a much under appreciated skill amongst fans. He is a master of putting a kickoff right into coffin corner or giving it a hang time so it comes down on the try line just as the onrushing players arrive.

Another thing about Jamie is that in addition the playing centre in the academy, he also covered at fullback quite a bit. Hence if you get injuries, Jamie offers potential cover for you in that department.

To sum up, whether Jamie becomes a top class player or another statistic of a youngster who showed promise but ultimately failed to make the stepup, depends mostly on his ability to mature physically.
An indication of his lack of physical maturity was the ribbing he used to get from the Saints players who used to make many a reference to his "boy arms".

RankPostsTeam
International Star3064No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Good signing for you guys, he might not be the quickest winger about, but he gets his fair share of tries and his goal kicking will certainly win you the odd game.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach151No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2018Jun 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: The Chair Maker "I would concur with Bewareshadows comments.

Much of the criticism aimed at Foster was of a personal rather than playing nature.
It says a lot, that for many fans their main criticism of him was to refer to him as "Boyband"

Playing wise Jamie is a diamond in the rough. His natural position is centre, and at academy level he represented England in that position. His winger by the way in the England team was Sean Ainscough, who was made to look like a worldbeater by Jamie who set him up for a number of trys with classical centre play.
At first team level he has so far only played on the wing. This is due i think in part to his lack of physical maturity. If he fills out as he matures, i see no reason why he cannot move into the centres and show people his real talent.

An indication of his lack of physical maturity was the ribbing he used to get from the Saints players who used to make many a reference to his "boy arms".'"

Shaun Ainscough (please note the spelling) was named player of the series during that visit to Australia. Maybe Jamie Foster or his family would like Jamie to take the credit for that but somehow I feel Ainscough probably got the award from his own playing ability at that time.

I'm not one to knock new signings and am willing to wait to see what happens in the future, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40218.jpg

Quote: The Chair Maker "His kickoffs are also the best in the business, and this is a much under appreciated skill amongst fans. He is a master of putting a kickoff right into coffin corner or giving it a hang time so it comes down on the try line just as the onrushing players arrive.'"

Glad you mentioned this. The last time I did so on a Saints forum I got maulled. Fact is, if Jamie is on form with his kick offs there really is no catching them. He can produce an inch perfect killer of a kick that just screws the catcher, no matter who it is.

But I would add to your IMO totally accurate assessment (particularly with regard to Jamie's unfortunate inability to physically fill out) that he needs a coach who takes the approach of believing in his young players rather than the Rush bully approach of punishing them (by dropping them) if they don't perform to his particular set of standards. If Cummins is the type who believes in his young guys then Jamie will give of his best and will produce some good stuff for the Bulls.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg

Quote: fido "Shaun Ainscough (please note the spelling) was named player of the series during that visit to Australia. Maybe Jamie Foster or his family would like Jamie to take the credit for that but somehow I feel Ainscough probably got the award from his own playing ability at that time.'"

Yet as anyone knows, a winger relies much on his centre. Gidley was a fantastic centre and so Jamie Foster blossomed with him there whereas he struggled a bit sometimes with Meli. A winger needs his centre to perform to his best and so I think Jamie deserves the credit given.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1894No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2017Nov 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: fido "I'm not one to knock new signings and am willing to wait to see what happens in the future, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.'"

Thats exceedingly generous of you

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach151No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2018Jun 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: bobsmyuncle "Thats exceedingly generous of you'"

Yes it is.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach151No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2018Jun 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: SaintsFan "Yet as anyone knows, a winger relies much on his centre. Gidley was a fantastic centre and so Jamie Foster blossomed with him there whereas he struggled a bit sometimes with Meli. A winger needs his centre to perform to his best and so I think Jamie deserves the credit given.'"

Well let's hope he doesn't get Platt then.

As for credit I think the person who deserved it got the award.

61 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
61 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.54296875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Exeter Rhino
6m
Leigh it is
Warrior Wing
17m