JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain Build Bridges NOT Walls:1271.jpg

Quote: rugbyreddog "AS a member of the media surely Mick should tell us what he is told. Would you really want him to start censoring the info he is given. It is nice to get any comment as the club tell us f$$k all.'"

I've said things like that myself, so I know where you're coming from.

However. The problem for such as Mick, and of course Ross on the T&A, is that a sort of symbiotic relationship exists between them and the club ie, they both need each other and both would be damaged if the other were to disappear. The club needs people to take an interest in the happenings at Odsal and to spread the news, so the need to keep the journos sweet is important. By the same token the journos need the club. If the club goes, or interest in what's going on around it dies, then their job goes with it.

Of course they get to know snippets that the club doesn't want to get out but the relationship between club and journo wold be damaged irreparably if they put in their bulletins, especially when specifically asked not to. That would not do anybody any good; not fans, not club, and not journalists.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1390No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2017Jan 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Done. 25/01/17.:

Quote: Bulliac "I've said things like that myself, so I know where you're coming from.

However. The problem for such as Mick, and of course Ross on the T&A, is that a sort of symbiotic relationship exists between them and the club ie, they both need each other and both would be damaged if the other were to disappear. The club needs people to take an interest in the happenings at Odsal and to spread the news, so the need to keep the journos sweet is important. By the same token the journos need the club. If the club goes, or interest in what's going on around it dies, then their job goes with it.

Of course they get to know snippets that the club doesn't want to get out but the relationship between club and journo wold be damaged irreparably if they put in their bulletins, especially when specifically asked not to. That would not do anybody any good; not fans, not club, and not journalists.'"

I'm not entirely sure the club would be damaged if BCB fell off the air as useful as the commentary service might be to fans.

Slightly O/T but relevant to a debate about truth and honesty, I gave Mick the opportunity to be a little more transparent with his claims about listener numbers on another thread and he failed the test, claiming that the station receives a figure for the number of people listening to each commentary on FM. The only reliable measure - which takes a long term average - is Rajar which BCB don't participate in.

It's very easy to over-egg the pudding.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3546
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2019May 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69500_1482141774.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_69500.jpg

As the saying goes, all publicity is good publicity. Similarly if you crave attention, all attention is good attention. Even when it's because you're saying something silly.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1977
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53798_1538737679.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_53798.jpeg

Quote: Greg Florimos Boots "Didnt Gledhill put a tweet out the other night saying Fax were in financial difficulty along with a couple more clubs. He soon took it down for some reason........'"

Not hard for yous to keep financially stable, especially making the football club stump up all the rent for the ground

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

Quote: bullsonfire "I'm not entirely sure the club would be damaged if BCB fell off the air as useful as the commentary service might be to fans. '"

Well obviously to some extent it would, because then those who can't attend games couldn't listen either, and its easy to get out of the habit of going, /watching / listening - hard to get people back into the habit.

Quote: bullsonfire "Slightly O/T but relevant to a debate about truth and honesty, I gave Mick the opportunity to be a little more transparent with his claims about listener numbers on another thread and he failed the test,....
It's very easy to over-egg the pudding.'"

Come again? Tests? You set tests? Failed? Wow, bet he won't sleep now! Surely only existing Bulls fans - or I expect a handful of opposition fans, or bored general sports fans - who can't go, are ever going to constitute the audience? That much seems clear, and if he was the best broadcaster since John Arlott, the number wouldn't materially change, so I'm struggling to understand the point, or more to the point, whether there actually is a point.

There IS a different point though, and that is, it's a decent commentary, it's reliable and it's free. If I didn't go, I'd choose to listen to that. What else is so important to you?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1390No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2017Jan 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Done. 25/01/17.:

Quote: Ferocious Aardvark "Well obviously to some extent it would, because then those who can't attend games couldn't listen either, and its easy to get out of the habit of going, /watching / listening - hard to get people back into the habit.

Come again? Tests? You set tests? Failed? Wow, bet he won't sleep now! Surely only existing Bulls fans - or I expect a handful of opposition fans, or bored general sports fans - who can't go, are ever going to constitute the audience? That much seems clear, and if he was the best broadcaster since John Arlott, the number wouldn't materially change, so I'm struggling to understand the point, or more to the point, whether there actually is a point.

There IS a different point though, and that is, it's a decent commentary, it's reliable and it's free. If I didn't go, I'd choose to listen to that. What else is so important to you?'"

The point was about hyping things up. For listening figures see cryptic tweets or vice versa. The "test" was whether he'd choose to back up his claims as the FM figures were clearly bunkum (and for what it's worth 4,000 streaming listeners seems very optimistic). Therefore, you take things with a pinch of salt.

I like the commentaries, they would be missed but certainly not by 10,000 people.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8024No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
36788_1300836245.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_36788.jpg

Quote: Ferocious Aardvark "Well obviously to some extent it would, because then those who can't attend games couldn't listen either, and its easy to get out of the habit of going, /watching / listening - hard to get people back into the habit.

There IS a different point though, and that is, it's a decent commentary, it's reliable and it's free. If I didn't go, I'd choose to listen to that. What else is so important to you?'"

Ignore "Bulls On Fire" he's another one of the anti Mick/Ross brigade.

As I posted in the BCB thread a couple of weeks ago, the listening figures for the broadcasts fluctuate massively - is the game at home, away in West Yorkshire, away in Cumbria, on Sky Sports etc...

But I can comfortably say that the average per game this year is around the 7,500 mark - that's including both online and FM.

We get regular listeners from America, Australia, South Africa, Spain, Italy, Colombia, Russia and Ireland.

The Bradford Bulls brand is very much still alive and kicking.

On a match day the listener interaction from the supporters is so great that we're now looking for a third member to join me and Hobbo, just to specifically monitor all the communication we get snowed under with on a match day.

RankPostsTeam
International Star95No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2017Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Tweet from Marwan Koukash - Seems to pour water on the Bulls rumours -(@drmar) I have no interest in owning another RL club . The sole focus of everyone in the club is to secure our SL status for next year.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1390No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2017Jan 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Done. 25/01/17.:

Quote: MicktheGled "Ignore "Bulls On Fire" he's another one of the anti Mick/Ross brigade.

As I posted in the BCB thread a couple of weeks ago, the listening figures for the broadcasts fluctuate massively - is the game at home, away in West Yorkshire, away in Cumbria, on Sky Sports etc...

But I can comfortably say that the average per game this year is around the 7,500 mark - that's including both online and FM.

We get regular listeners from America, Australia, South Africa, Spain, Italy, Colombia, Russia and Ireland.

The Bradford Bulls brand is very much still alive and kicking.

On a match day the listener interaction from the supporters is so great that we're now looking for a third member to join me and Hobbo, just to specifically monitor all the communication we get snowed under with on a match day.'"

Mick, I am not a member of any such brigade, you are a good commentator and I have enjoyed listening from time to time. However, this thread has called into question the way you present things on social media etc and as such I have cited an example where you have made claims that are not backed up by credible evidence. So, it's a question of judgement and believability.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator8097
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
869_1597404840.jpg
//www.twitter.com/pumpetypump:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_869.jpg

Quote: Thrombo69 "Tweet from Marwan Koukash - Seems to pour water on the Bulls rumours -(@drmar) I have no interest in owning another RL club . The sole focus of everyone in the club is to secure our SL status for next year.'"

He can easily buy us via his wife as was the plan originally. That would enable him to perfectly legitimately say that HE has no interest.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain58No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017Jan 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I saw the tweets that Mike came out after the loss to Fev that some are referring to, whether he should have posted them is open to debate, but with recent financial difficulties I know I pretty much thought the same as what he posted following that defeat. Since then a winding up order has come to light which made everyone dig into various websites to find out other financial difficulties Mr Green is suffering and then the players were paid late. To be honest this hasn't really gone away as payday is a week away, followed by the winding up hearing a week later. Meanwhile the walk up gate receipts are pretty much zero and like others have mentioned the off field management at the club is down to the bare bones following recent departures.

With the news about York, and talk of Sheffield potentially going out of business it's bonkers that Toulouse and Toronto are being pushed up the league ladder. I wonder how many Keighley fans will be heading over for that one next season.

Oh for the days of just worrying about the score and not the financial position of a club. At least we are winning games, not that it really matters but you have to grab the positives where you can these days.

Re the Doc, I wouldn't expect any news about any rumour regarding that whilst Salford are in the middle of a fight for their SL survival.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7096
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
36131_1571835935.jpg
nosorożce biorą to w dupę:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_36131.jpg

Quote: MicktheGled "we're now looking for a third member to join me and Hobbo, just to specifically monitor all the communication we get snowed under with on a match day.'"

I'm your man.

Who's got the most experience of radio show/listener interaction? Me - fact

Who successfully predicted the next England head coach would be Steve Mc before he was appointed? Me - fact

Who successfully predicted Lee St Hillaire would be Bradford head coach before he was appointed? Me - fact

If it's flagging a bit who better to make up interesting texts to get it going? Me

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1004
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jan 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74018_1452891676.jpg
[i:2zdvjjq6]"If you don't believe you can do something, you have no chance at all" - Arsene Wenger[/i:2zdvjjq6]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74018.jpg

Are travel expenses paid Mick? icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain661
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2017Dec 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74465_1472906125.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74465.jpg

The day I found BCB existed was like a huge burden being lifted off my back.
Because if I cant get to a game I used to have to listen to radio Leeds and any radio station that has got the word "scum" in its title isn't worth listening to.
And they ironically refer to them selves as west yorkshire sport - when they dont even commentate on the majority of clubs outside the suburb of headingly.

BCB commentary is a good laugh.
Hobbo has a typical Yorkshireman attitude - he calls it like he sees it.
Mick gives a good balance.

I dont follow twitter cos I've got a life. If you believe everything written or said in the media you obviously dont understand what the media is for. Call it propoganda or call it the rumour mill - its purpose is to stir up debate, so its clearly working.

Talking about the announcement I heard we are signing a world class player who will deliver first class performance ..........................no wait a minute.........sorry, must have misheard......we are actually signing a world class darts player who delivers first class proformas

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1323No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The thing that is making me chuckle is Mick accusing people of being anti Ross/Mick - as if the two are indistinguishable.

One is a professional journalist and reports stories. The other has been banned from TRL twice because he couldn't stop accusing referees of being cheats and spreads rumours when he hears half a story.

They are not the same things at all.

69 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
69 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

11.18896484375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Leigh it is
MattyB
9m
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
12m