JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

The RFL are in an awkward position given that they were obviously lied to by Hudders officials. Are they going to just let that slide? If they do they'll be setting an awful precedent.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3534No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Maybe big Ralph will make sure his club,oops I mean Hudds,get away scot free

RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain Build Bridges NOT Walls:1271.jpg

Quote: Bullseye "OK signed up for this for 2 years. The sharing of our money amongst the other clubs was the thing decided later IIRC.

OK has said himself that he's learnt from this episode to look after No1 if it happens to another club.'"

The other, and I should say, far more important thing which was decided later, was to re-structure the league under a bottom goes out principle, whilst they they knew full well we were going to be hamstrung by the underfunding they'd organised, and to which we'd agreed before we knew what the rules were going to be.

Restraint of trade, constructive dismissal?? It certainly can't be right, can it?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31786
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

Quote: Bulliac "The other, and I should say, far more important thing which was decided later, was to re-structure the league under a bottom goes out principle, whilst they they knew full well we were going to be hamstrung by the underfunding they'd organised, and to which we'd agreed before we knew what the rules were going to be.

Restraint of trade, constructive dismissal?? It certainly can't be right, can it?'"

It certainly wasn't part of what the new owners signed up to. I'd be interested to know how they voted when the league proposals were discussed. Anyone go to the forum recently and ask that?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17138No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

It would be nice to have some clarity, rather than the usual hysterical screams of incompetence & moral corruption against the RFL. What exactly are the facts behind the Bulls forfeiting half their Sky money? I have read a few times that it either agreed by or suggested by the new OK regime as a sweetener to the other clubs to allow them to remain in SL. The issue that they didn't agree to spend it on youth development is largely irrelevant as far as I am concerned as long as it stayed in the game. How many years of sacrifice was agreed? Was part of the deal that Bradford kept their squad together rather than predatory clubs picking off their players on the cheap (as a number of other clubs including Bradford have been guilty of in the past when teams have been relegated or in financial mire)?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach993
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45148_1265187924.jpg
No Pain No Gain:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45148.jpg

It would have been ok to hand over the 2 years of Sky money if, as was the understanding were going to go through the licensing process for the next 3 years at the end of term. However, if you change the goal posts, you cant expect to apply the same financial fine for different rules for relegation promotion.

The RFL are certainly procrastinating with the Giants issue, it would not surprise me if they wait till the end of the regular season for a points deduction or fine. icon_confused.gif:

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3166
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Pollsters doing Excellent job - say recent polls.:

As I understood it, some of the owners of clubs which run at a loss and have to be supported by said owner, thought that Bradford going into administration and effectively walking away from debts without financial penalty was giving Bradford an unfair advantage.

As they saw it, it would save them money if they funded their clubs less, built up debts, then bought the club cheaply from administration. Instead of the owner losing money, it would be the taxpayer (usually the biggest creditor) losing money.

This was the RFL & club chairmen compromise deal to make the 2nd scenario unpalatable to club chairmen.

As a franchise system is a closed membership (invitation only) they could withhold 1 full year Sky money ( but spread over 2 years).

Changing it to P/R does give the opportunity to challenge I would think.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31786
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg

Quote: Highlander "As I understood it, some of the owners of clubs which run at a loss and have to be supported by said owner, thought that Bradford going into administration and effectively walking away from debts without financial penalty was giving Bradford an unfair advantage.

As they saw it, it would save them money if they funded their clubs less, built up debts, then bought the club cheaply from administration. Instead of the owner losing money, it would be the taxpayer (usually the biggest creditor) losing money.

This was the RFL & club chairmen compromise deal to make the 2nd scenario unpalatable to club chairmen.

As a franchise system is a closed membership (invitation only) they could withhold 1 full year Sky money ( but spread over 2 years).

Changing it to P/R does give the opportunity to challenge I would think.'"

I thought there were laws against the same directors going into admin and then starting the same operation all over again under a different name to escape the debts? Cannon and Ball spring to mind, weren’t they disqualified from being directors for that very reason? If that sort of practice isn’t illegal then I can understand other clubs wanting to guard against it. However in our case that didn’t even happen as the new company doesn’t have any connection with the last in terms of directors or shareholders?

I’m confused.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2014Aug 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Rarely post these days but as a Bulls supporting actor once said "my dander is well and truly up!" Some or all of this may have be mentioned but there ya go. Just hoping it will make me feel a bit better but I bet it won't.

At the last fans forum GS stated that the club were going to seek legal advice re the sharing of the Sky money amongst the other clubs. I got the impression that he was saying that in the light of the reintro of promotion/relegation because, as has been stated many times recently, the goalposts have definitely been moved and it is not a level playing field. Whilst (thankfully) I'm not a lawyer, the original decision to deprive the club of said money and redistribute it was nothing short of extortion - basically, "pay up or you don't come in". From everything I have read and heard there was nothing official to it and it has set a terrible precedent, where certain Super League chairmen/club owners are calling the shots and the RFL are exposed as weak and frightened. The greatest sport in the world led by complete clowns! The other clubs have essentially started down the road of creating a cartel and the whole thing flies in the face of the spirit of competion law. In one way, I really do hope the club goes down the road of legal exploration, although that would obviously be expensive, depending on the level of resistance encountered. However, after the Hudds/Mason debacle I think most clubs might be wary of an impending courtroom wrestle when all they need to do is cough up a mere £50kish each to make a huge potential nightmare for themselves and the sport go away. You would think that by now even the most autocratic and obstinate of club chairmen must recognise that it was an act of folly to allow themselves to be led into a decision that was opportunistic and greedy and driven, by individuals who clearly have little or no regard to the consequences of their autocratic actions. Just how and why did the RFL sit back and allow this to happen??? Are they and the other clubs not guilty of bringing the game into disrepute?

The Kopczack cock-up is a different pit of vipers, and one which affects the reputation of the game I love in a big way. As a previous poster stated, if the RFL let this one slide they will be setting a huge and immensely damaging precedent. Furthermore, does not the whole sequence of events (from CK's 'loaded' walkout to Mason's contrived dimissal and subsequent court hearing) contain collectively, the ingredients of fraud and conspiracy? Something definitely there for the lawyers to chew over I think.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: Highlander "As I understood it, some of the owners of clubs which run at a loss and have to be supported by said owner,.'"

That's all except Leeds then?

Quote: Highlander " thought that Bradford going into administration and effectively walking away from debts without financial penalty was giving Bradford an unfair advantage. '"

I can see their point if that is the case.

Quote: Highlander "As they saw it, it would save them money if they funded their clubs less, built up debts, then bought the club cheaply from administration. Instead of the owner losing money, it would be the taxpayer (usually the biggest creditor) losing money. '"

I'm not sure what point you trying to make here. Are you saying all owners except Leeds thought they would follow the Bradford model?

Quote: Highlander "This was the RFL & club chairmen compromise deal to make the 2nd scenario unpalatable to club chairmen.'"

Again I am not clear, the club chairmen made it unpalatable to themselves?

RankPostsTeam
International Star1149
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2019Nov 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I think Highlander was saying that to avoid clubs taking the route of adminsitration to clear accumulated debts they decided to penalise any club going into administration a years Sky money on top of a points deduction.

I cannot imagine any of our upstanding clubs trying such a ploy, it is almost as silly as suggesting the Chancellor and BoE were colluding to push up inflation to reduce the deficit?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31786
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg

But surely this strategy of punishing a club for going into administration by punishing the person who gets it out of the mess is misguided? In our case the punishment is meted out to those who had nothing to do with going into admin in the first place.

It’s like if I got caught speeding, my car gets taken off me by the police and sold and the new owner of my car gets the fine!

If Caisley had taken over I could partly understand this as he was party to many of the decisions that led to the downfall of the old club and was the major shareholder. But this didn't happen.

It just makes me all the more suspicious that certain clubs (not all) would like to see us out of the picture completely and are engineering a situation that they can benefit from.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

Quote: Bullseye "But surely this strategy of punishing a club for going into administration by punishing the person who gets it out of the mess is misguided? In our case the punishment is meted out to those who had nothing to do with going into admin in the first place. '"

Agreed, and also the basic argument is based on a false premise; namely that Old Bulls had an unfair advantage, because what they should have been paying on debts/tax/VAT etc they supposedly were spending on the team. Well, given that we haven't qualified for the playoffs since about 1572 then it's not easy to see just what the advantage was!

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg

So what is to stop teams repeatedly going into admin & just handing over to a white knight completely debt free? It is the club, not OK personally, who gets the fine. If he chooses one of his companies to pay the fine that's his business. No-one has yet answered my questions - did Ok offer or agree to the forfeit as a condition & did it enable Bradford to keep their squad?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain Build Bridges NOT Walls:1271.jpg

Quote: tigertot "So what is to stop teams repeatedly going into admin & just handing over to a white knight completely debt free? It is the club, not OK personally, who gets the fine. If he chooses one of his companies to pay the fine that's his business. No-one has yet answered my questions - did Ok offer or agree to the forfeit as a condition & did it enable Bradford to keep their squad?'"

The fact it was agreed to is well known TT, and I'm sure you know that already as it's been mentioned enough times on this board.

It still doesn't answer point about bringing in this new and quite heavy 'fine', C £1.2m and is a lot of dosh, whilst at the same time keeping stum that the way the league would deal with relegation was changing to one where not having sufficient funds was going to make it very difficult to sustain the status just re-gained, seems a tad unethicial; indeed it could be argued that Omar Khan was sold the club under false pretenses.

85 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
85 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.4228515625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Todays match v Saints
Wanderer
11m
Shopping list for 2025
ComeOnYouUll
14m