JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

As a fan of Corrie, I really hope this is not the end for the Gale-Platt combination.

RankPostsTeam
International Star95No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Ferocious Aardvark "Where do you think that leaves Gale, who's contracted to 2015?'"

Do you still think he is a 'class act'? icon_biggrin.gif

I got slated months ago for saying he was overrated and an average player, looks like more and more fans are now agreeing. If we really do have our sights set on being a top club, he can't be our first choice 7.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

Quote: Czech Bull "Do you still think he is a 'class act'? icon_biggrin.gif Funnily enough this doesn't explain why he does nothing with the ball when the pack is on top and he is getting the space. He struggles in our team, so I'm sure he would look even more out of his depth in a 'very good team'.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif

Quote: Czech Bull "He is overrated buy some of our fans, plus the media to some extent, '"

NO, he is rated by any given person, however they rate him. All you are saying is you disagree and that you don't rate him much. That's all fair enough but where you are going wrong is then going on to claim that he IS "overrated" - I'm surprised you didn't add "FACT" as if this was any more than just your opinion.

Quote: Czech Bull "You yourself rated him as 'a class act', so you are one of the fans who has overrated him, he is far far from a class act. '"

Can you grasp that we DISAGREE on this point? You saying he is very far from this, or not that, doesn't make it so.

Quote: Czech Bull " A lot of fans on here commented that he was a good player, funny how a number of them have now conceded that he has been a let down, others discussing him being dropped. Expectations of him as a player have dropped, that's normally a sign of him being overrated in the first place. '"

Just waffle and guff. We as a team haven't had a good season. No great use singling anybody out.

Quote: Czech Bull "I was merely making a statement, fairly simple really, if we (fans, club, management/owners) have sights on becoming a top club then Gale isn't good enough. '"

He is.

Quote: Czech Bull "I have no idea realistically what the clubs 'sights' are, but I'm sure they're higher than avoiding relegation. This season we were hoping for a top 8 finish, with the way the squad is shaping up for next year I would expect management have a similar target at least. '"

Quite, and I'm sure that would be it. Not "being a top club", which would only move into the sights sometime down the track if we manage to halt the slide and make progress in the other direction.

Quote: Czech Bull "Imagine where the club would have been without him? He regularly carries the team and wins games with his inventiveness and unpredictability. He has speed, flair, good kicking game and stands up in defense, '"

Where they would have been? Well, they're 12th, so I have no clue what your point is. Could they have done much worse?

Quote: Czech Bull "..., he is in a totally different league as a player. '"

No, he is in the SL same as Gale. But you forget it was me who gave the example of Chase, as a good scrum half whose team isn't successful as a result of his presence.

Quote: Czech Bull "...,Ahhh, the 'behind the right pack' excuse icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain Build Bridges NOT Walls:1271.jpg

To be honest, I don't remember Ellery Hanley "playing behind a beaten pack every week". In the season when he scored 52 tries we finished half way [8th] in a league of 16 and had forwards such as Jeff Grayshon, Alan Rathbone, Brian Noble, Dick Jasiwicz and Gary Van Bellen in the side; maybe not a [iworldbeating[/i pack overall but it had one or two outstanding individuals and pretty much held its own and, let's face it, no pack with B. Noble at hooker ever lacked ball and similarly, before Nobby we had Keith Bridges, so same applied, really.

I think it's also fair to point out that Ellery probably played more at centre than in the halves back then. I think for those who are really critical of Gale and aren't prepared to accept the various [previously mentioned] problems I suggest just watching replays of our scores and see just how often it's Galey who makes the final pass or creates the opening. There have been plenty of games where I've come away thinking he hadn't really dominated much, only to be surprised how instrumental he had been, when I watched the highlights.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif

Quote: Bulliac "... I think for those who are really critical of Gale and aren't prepared to accept the various [previously mentioned] problems I suggest just watching replays of our scores and see just how often it's Galey who makes the final pass or creates the opening. There have been plenty of games where I've come away thinking he hadn't really dominated much, only to be surprised how instrumental he had been, when I watched the highlights.'"

Indeed, and one thing that is different about each scrum half is their individual style. Deacon suffered from exactly the same thing. Some people just want to see a 7 zipping through defences and beating 10 men. If they don't have electric pace then for many they are forever crap, it doesn't matter what they do, it doesn't matter what records they break, it doesn't matter what the team wins. In Deacon's case, his detractors will still tell you we won everything [iin spite of [/ihaving Deacon, not because of him - they aren't capable of getting that scrum halves can skin cats in a wide variety of ways. Gale is not a flashy player and he is suffering and will forever suffer from that same perception amongst those people, who will never rate him, ever, choose what he does.

Of course they wouldn't be in the least bit interested in watching any replays, as they already "know" you're wrong. icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach437No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2019Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The more he talked of his honour,the faster we counted our spoons.:

Quote: Bulliac "To be honest, I don't remember Ellery Hanley "playing behind a beaten pack every week". In the season when he scored 52 tries we finished half way [8th] in a league of 16 and had forwards such as Jeff Grayshon, Alan Rathbone, Brian Noble, Dick Jasiwicz and Gary Van Bellen in the side; maybe not a [iworldbeating[/i pack overall but it had one or two outstanding individuals and pretty much held its own and, let's face it, no pack with B. Noble at hooker ever lacked ball and similarly, before Nobby we had Keith Bridges, so same applied, really.

I think it's also fair to point out that Ellery probably played more at centre than in the halves back then. I think for those who are really critical of Gale and aren't prepared to accept the various [previously mentioned] problems I suggest just watching replays of our scores and see just how often it's Galey who makes the final pass or creates the opening. There have been plenty of games where I've come away thinking he hadn't really dominated much, only to be surprised how instrumental he had been, when I watched the highlights.'"

Your Wiki skills do you proud,but I watched every game live in that season home and away and Hanley played the vast majority of games at Numero 6.The reason I travelled away to every match in that particular season,even though we got many tonkings from the top sides was to marvel at Hanley's skills.He didn't need a pack that was dominating and created many of the tries he scored himself.The point I am making is that I haven't seen even a glimmer of real talent from Gale,I wish I had.You don't need a fast No 7 just one with some vision/guile and a kicking game.Seabourne wasn't the quickest but his rugby league brain was sEcond to none IMO.
Anyway some rate Gale,that's fine and they are entitled to their opinion as am I and IMO I haven't seen anything that would make me jump up and down with anticipation.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif

Quote: madasmcmadammcmad2 "... I watched every game live in that season home and away and Hanley played the vast majority of games at Numero 6.The reason I travelled away to every match in that particular season,even though we got many tonkings from the top sides was to marvel at Hanley's skills.He didn't need a pack that was dominating and created many of the tries he scored himself..'"

All agreed - but there is no comparison to be made between Hanley and Gale. Or Hanley and anyone else. The main point the case of Hanley demonstrates would be that even with Hanley, who is arguably the greatest player who ever lived, at halfback you aren't necessarily a good side.

Quote: madasmcmadammcmad2 "The point I am making is that I haven't seen even a glimmer of real talent from Gale,I wish I had. '"

How many times, home and away, have you watched him? He's been our MoM in 3 of the 11 games he's started this season. If he doesn't show a glimmer of talent, what does that say about the rest?

Quote: madasmcmadammcmad2 "You don't need a fast No 7 just one with some vision/guile and a kicking game.Seabourne wasn't the quickest but his rugby league brain was sEcond to none IMO '"

Again agreed, it echoes a point I made earlier in relation to Gale. I'd only add that - just as in the case of Deacon - you do need the way the rest of the team plays to be built around the particular strengths of your particular scrum half.

Quote: madasmcmadammcmad2 "Anyway some rate Gale,that's fine and they are entitled to their opinion as am I and IMO I haven't seen anything that would make me jump up and down with anticipation.'"

But I don't "jump up and down with anticipation" at seeing Gale either, and it's a pity when just because you back a player as not being crap, some folk then upgrade that into a straw man as if I 'd said Gale was some sort of complete rugby god and genius, so that they can then demolish it. What I said I have seen from Gale is that he undoubtedly possesses class which the majority of players don't, and this has been recognised by better judges than me eg his inclusion in the Knights setup. At the same time his career especially in the last 2 seasons has been badly disrupted both by serious injury, surgery, rehab and personal issues, not to mention the disruption of the club's recent woes and disarray.

Whether he can have a great season, injury free and in a settled and progressive squad, behind a much improved pack, and alongside the likes of Gaskell remains of course to be seen. I for one am sure he can and have every hope he will. Others don't think he's got it in him, and they are of course entitled to that opinion.

51 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
51 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.16943359375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
2m
IMG scores
Scarlet Pimp
3m