JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: sanjunien "do me a favour and do as I suggested - next game,take a pen & notepad,make your notes of moves,infringements ,changeovers,scores, missed opportunities and anthing else which you may feel the reader would find of interest then transcribe that into a match report (use any paper as a guide) in time for the sunday deadline of about 1600 hrs for the weekly papers on a monday morning and se how you get on

(then read the published report and see how much it differs from the copy you sent to the sub editor...)

it's easy to criticise - try it yourself and see how easy it [ireally [/iis !'"

I assisted Mick commentate once last year; even trying to expalin live action while watching the game is difficult enough, never mind taking your eyes off the game to write things down. Incredibly Mick appear to manage both. I think there is an extra person within that huge coat of his. And one for those who bag refs, try running quickly for 80 minutes in busy traffic while keeping up an inntelligent conversation. I was only captain a few times, but trying to continually communicate with your team mates is like rubbing your stomach while patting your head while exhausted.

mat
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9553
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: sanjunien "it's easy to blame the journo but has it ever crossed your mind that it's the editor or sub editor who usually decides what goes to print ? - the journo will put down what he or she actually sees, hopefully in an unbiased way but he or she has no idea if the report sent in will be embellished or twisted or completely changed or ignored by the powers that be.

as a matter of interest,most journos who make contributions to the weekly RL papers are not professional journos,just fans like you and me who make a report usually for nothing when the travelling costs are taken into account,and quite often with expense to themselves so it's really a labour of love - now,as an exercise,next game you watch live at whatever level, take a notepad and pen and take down details and make out a report of that game - print it out and read the result and see if you find it as easy as you intimate ?'"

have you read the OP's original post? there isnt any criticism of the match reports, which you keep going on about, the criticism is about the articles we keep getting between matches which are largely regurgitated with minor variations week after week.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8024No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
36788_1300836245.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_36788.jpg

Quote: tigertot "I assisted Mick commentate once last year; even trying to expalin live action while watching the game is difficult enough, never mind taking your eyes off the game to write things down. Incredibly Mick appear to manage both. I think there is an extra person within that huge coat of his.'"

You will have to join me again mate to see how I've progressed the commentary.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17138No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: MicktheGled "You will have to join me again mate to see how I've progressed the commentary.'"

Would love to mate, thanks, if only to see how I haven't.

RankPostsTeam
International Star30No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2012Apr 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: M@islebugs "Aaron, both you and Mick have made this claim about Craven lately. Is there any evidence to support this?'"

Dave wasn't a liar and I think the rep he got was more than a little unjustified. He's a good writer and a decent bloke, hence why he's now working for one of the largest regional papers in the country.

In terms of current coverage, Ross is between a rock and a hard place when it comes to doing pieces with players. He can ill afford to provoke controversy or write deliberately sensationalised reports as it would cause irreparable damage to his relationship with the club - one which is absolutely vital to his job as the local rag's Bulls correspondent. Any interviews he conducts with players will be overwhelming bland because modern sportsmen are trained to answer questions without a jot of personality, insight or opinion but he has to report what they say in a factual, straightforward manner.

On the other hand, he faces the challenge of keeping coverage fresh and entertaining so must find a balance in his relationship with the club where he can't be afraid to question within reason. Usually, opinion pieces, features and match reports are the best vehicle for this so they're an important tool for any local journo. Ultimately, compare the content in the T&A with any other local paper up and down the country and much of it won't be too dissimilar.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4540
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19767.jpg
:19767.jpg

Did it ever occur to anyone that the reason that the T&A weekday reports can be a bit bland is that there usually isn't much to say that is interesting?

You can't report what isn't happening - not without making stuff up, which I'm sure we all agree would be a bad things.

I suspect that most weeks the team are just getting on with training and preparing for the next match. There simply isn't all that interesting to report. So we either have nothing at all in the T&A or the kind of generic interviews that we get. Which would people prefer?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach410No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2017Jan 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

They all went out to Nandos for the big opening night - where was the coverage about team bonding etc
When they did the preseason army training, what did they actually do ? Why not go along to training and join in with them Mr Ross and see how hard it is (as per Ian Stafford's Books (Daily Mail Journo) - which are fantastic by the way if anyone hasn't read them !)
They do actually train all week - what have they actually been doing in training ?
What does a crypical week look like for a RL professional ?
What about doing 20 questions with a few of the players - fav restaurant / music etc
I am sure that some of them might actually have interests out of the game - what are they

Its hardly controversial, its not going to get someone's back up, it only needs a bit of thought to actually do something DIFFERENT ....

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17138No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg

Quote: paulwalker71 "Did it ever occur to anyone that the reason that the T&A weekday reports can be a bit bland is that there usually isn't much to say that is interesting?'"

This. WIth 24 hour wall to wall news things need to be made more & more extreme to grab attention, even though they don't warrant it. Which, to me, results in the ludicrous claims on here about everything being a joke & a disgrace.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4371No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2017Nov 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The BullPen - Bradford Bulls Fansite: //bradfordbulls.wordpress.com/:

Quote: staffbull1973 "They all went out to Nandos for the big opening night - where was the coverage about team bonding etc'"

So let me get this straight. You're panning the coverage Ross puts in the paper, and suggesting instead of interviewing players about how close they are to comebacks etc, you suggest he runs a story about them all going to Nandos?

icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1946No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2014Jul 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19829_1320257469.gif
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_19829.gif

Possibly rlthisrl is the type of article Staffbull would like to see, and I agree

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

So, he's damned if Nandoes, and damned if Nandoesn't, then. Sums it up for me.

RankPostsTeam
International Star30No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2012Apr 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Steam Pig "Possibly rlthisrl is the type of article Staffbull would like to see, and I agree'"

I thought that when I read this. It's a well-written piece which brings out the personality of both player and writer. A creative way to turn more fairly run-of-the-mill quotes into an engaging story.

Problem is, you can't do pieces like this every day. The Bullpen page on a Thursday is a good home for this kind of piece but the daily news pieces need to be more straight down the line. There is scope for more like this though and features which show thought from outside the box.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1946No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2014Jul 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19829_1320257469.gif
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_19829.gif

Quote: Ferocious Aardvark "So, he's damned if Nandoes, and damned if Nandoesn't, then. Sums it up for me.'"

a014.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star30No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2012Apr 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: staffbull1973 "They all went out to Nandos for the big opening night - where was the coverage about team bonding etc
When they did the preseason army training, what did they actually do ? Why not go along to training and join in with them Mr Ross and see how hard it is (as per Ian Stafford's Books (Daily Mail Journo) - which are fantastic by the way if anyone hasn't read them !)
They do actually train all week - what have they actually been doing in training ?
What does a crypical week look like for a RL professional ?
What about doing 20 questions with a few of the players - fav restaurant / music etc
I am sure that some of them might actually have interests out of the game - what are they

Its hardly controversial, its not going to get someone's back up, it only needs a bit of thought to actually do something DIFFERENT ....'"

I can understand what you're saying about coverage needing to be a bit different, which is why I enjoy opinion pieces, features which delve into the player's personality and features which draw on unexpected/ aspects of the club's day-to-day operations or a player's life.

The problem with a lot of what you suggested is that it's often just infeasible. I very much doubt that Mick Potter would let anyone get involved in a training session or document what goes on in any kind of detail. I seem to remember him kicking off a bit when Sky tried to film part of a session last year.

A feature about the players going to Nandos would be dull and 20 questions-style pieces are programme fodder not credible journalism. Articles looking at aspects of the player's lives outside rugby can be good but only when they appear sparingly and only if the player does anything worth reporting.

It's not as straightforward as you make out but I do think coverage should be more varied than a series of straight-up reports about how the players are disappointed/buzzing after the weekend's game. I think Ross is trying to achieve this and will have more success the more comfortable he gets in the job and the more comfortable the players/club become with him.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5506No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50774_1329287946.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50774.jpg

Quote: mat "have you read the OP's original post? there isnt any criticism of the match reports, which you keep going on about, the criticism is about the articles we keep getting between matches which are largely regurgitated with minor variations week after week.'"

so,what do you propose the person writes about that you might find interesting - maybe write to him or her with ideas ?

One can always try the 'scoop' technique where info is sensationalised to whip up interest ie. tell the truth about what players are getting up to off-field - that kind of info is easy to rake up,problem is that any bond or trust between journo & club has been broken so that's why journos have to stick with the mundane training chit chat or injury updates etc until matchday finally arrives.

what do you expect exactly ?

I personally find player interviews interesting but that's just me - also I don't think papers or mags talk enough about the fans,every fan has a story (or three) to tell...

53 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
53 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.32568359375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 27
rugbyleague8
8m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
ArthurClues
8m