JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2013Mar 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17822_1260441142.jpg
Never choose a wife or bedlinen by candlelight I'm only using this username because, since migration to the new server, I'm unable to log in to my usual one as the e-mail address no longer exists and I can't remember the password.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_17822.jpg

Quote: Bulls4Champs2010 "Adey, you can't keep turning to the issues of finances for everything. Mick Potter is a better coach than Brian or Steve Mac, that's clearly very evident.

The ability to coach and motivate a bunch of players doesn't cost a penny and Mick Potter is very good at it.'"

IF finances are everything and there really is no possibility of inward investment (as seems to be the case), the club are doing an excellent job of showing us that it is preparing for life in the CIS Championship. There is no meaningful backroom staff to support the Head Coach, no aparent aspirations other than to retract and now little ambition in seemingly attracting the "best" but rather the "affordable".

I'm quite looking forward to playing Fev, Keighley, Batley and Dewsbury and possiblt Halifax if they don't get our franchise.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14145No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45.jpg

Quote: Vamsie "IF finances are everything and there really is no possibility of inward investment (as seems to be the case), the club are doing an excellent job of showing us that it is preparing for life in the CIS Championship. There is no meaningful backroom staff to support the Head Coach, no aparent aspirations other than to retract and now little ambition in seemingly attracting the "best" but rather the "affordable".

I'm quite looking forward to playing Fev, Keighley, Batley and Dewsbury and possiblt Halifax if they don't get our franchise.'"

And your answer is?

To attract "the best" you need the funds.

Buggered if I know the answer. Do you?

And no, for the avoidance of doubt I am most definitely NOT happy with the current situation the club finds itself in. And neither, I am sure, are the board or officials. And I most definitely do NOT want to see more of the same (or worse). If I did, I would not be bothered with being at the Bullbuilder committee meeting tomorrow night - a tiny tiny contribution, but at least one in my power to make.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach96No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2013Mar 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17822_1260441142.jpg
Never choose a wife or bedlinen by candlelight I'm only using this username because, since migration to the new server, I'm unable to log in to my usual one as the e-mail address no longer exists and I can't remember the password.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_17822.jpg

Quote: Adeybull "And your answer is?

To attract "the best" you need the funds.

Buggered if I know the answer. Do you?'"

No.

I wasn't exactly asking a question, but if there was one implied, I suppose it was prospecting for a backer / buyer. However I do realise the likliehood (or not) of this when you look at the number of Football League sides touting themselves for buyers at the moment. Many with far better prognoses than an ailing Rugby League outfit.

Not often I stick my head above the parapet, I know, but feel free to fire away. icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12310
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28396_1358365565.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28396.jpg

Quote: Adeybull " If we go for a British coach, for whatever reason, then the only one I would be happy with would be Brian Mac. Said that right from the start.'"

Noble?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12310
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28396_1358365565.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28396.jpg

rlhttp://forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?f

Doesn't make for good reading if Brian Mac is our new coach.

After all, they're the ones who've watched his team play the most.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg

Quote: Vamsie "No.

I wasn't exactly asking a question, but if there was one implied, I suppose it was prospecting for a backer / buyer. However I do realise the likliehood (or not) of this when you look at the number of Football League sides touting themselves for buyers at the moment. Many with far better prognoses than an ailing Rugby League outfit.

Not often I stick my head above the parapet, I know, but feel free to fire away.
Not firing...really wish we could come up with something!!

Anyone on first name terms with Uncle Ken...? icon_wink.gif

I got involved with setting up Bullbuilder because it was one way maybe the fans could make a difference. Maybe there are other initiatives that people can follow - and that maybe the club will choose to listen to - that can make a difference. We keep seeing people on here suggesting there are skill sets and volunteers out here which might be a big help to the club. If that is indeed the case...and if such people are prepared to put in the hard yards and not be there just for the glory, then that has always seemed to me to be an avenue the club should seriously consider pursuing.

The risk is that you often get loads of initial volunteers, but all too often few who stay the course once the hard work, the ongoing graft out of the limelight needs doing. Anyone who has ever served on a voluntary or charitable board or committee - will know all too well what I mean!

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg

Quote: Ewwenorfolk "Noble?'"

No way.

Caoching ability aside, the club got into the present predicament on his and Caisley's watch, and much of the current pain is because they spent much more than they earned and did not invest in the future.

I remain to be convinced that Nobby's formidable skill-set would be suited to a situation of tight finances and no extra antipodeans.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5280
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Adeybull "Unfortunately they won't go away though Mick - pretty well everything is influenced by them. As are most things in life generally.

Leaving aside who is the best coach - although by all objective standards Potter has had far more experience than the others, so you would expect him to be the standout? - remember also that, just as with players, you pay more for more ability. So its that F word again...

If the ability to coach and motivate a bunch of players doesn't cost a penny, why do clubs pay their coaching staff? Come on! And why do the clubs with more money tend to get the perceived "better" coaches? The better you are at something, the more you expect to get for it?

I bet Potter would cost more than either Mac? He'd be my first choice if it was fundable and the guy wanted it, and I'd have gone for him ahead of anyone from the ARL, since we surely need someone who knows the SL and local environment, and something of the club. If we go for a British coach, for whatever reason, then the only one I would be happy with would be Brian Mac. Said that right from the start.'"

No they wont, but not pretty much everything is influenced by them IMO. A man's influence on another man(in this case coach to player) is his knowledge, respect, etc and ability to communicate things in a way that people take things that they say and do on board are things that are free.

Of course he's the stand out, he's a better coach and the influence he's had on his teams and players are what makes him stand out, not the fact that he's had more of a budget IMO.

I don't think Potter would cost more than Steve Mac and I don't think SM is as badly paid as some like to think, he was a relative unknown when he came to Catalans, all he was previously was an assistant, but he's proven himself to astute in managing his players and getting them to play how he wants.

What I'm saying or trying to say Adey is finances are not the be all and end all on how a coach performs, I think you seem to think that everything a coach does is influenced by his budget, when IMO it couldn't be further away from the truth.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1992No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34183_1277913198.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34183.jpg

Quote: Ewwenorfolk "Potter's team 3rd in the league, McDermott's team 13th.

McDermott's team on -261 pd, Potters team +265.

Potter got Catalans to the CC final, and has got Saints to the grand-final.

Imo, if they both do indeed want the job, then there is only one option.'"

You often relay plenty of common sense on a forum bereft of it. But not on this occassion.

You are comparing butter with cheese.

Proven, world class players in one team with juniors signed up long before the arrival of the head coach.

Average Joes in the other with juniors progressed by the head coach through the ranks to a level where they are wanted by others.

No comparison.

I've seen few candid arguments on here to illustrate why Brian Man wouldn't be a salient option. The opinions of Quins fans isn't really a consideration given their financial constraints and ethos of the club at this present time.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach84No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2011Feb 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Can see the point from both sides here. The finance argument pops up a little too much at times - we are all aware of the constraints.

The ability to coach, create a game plan and motivate players is all we want, something we have being lacking. This does not cost additional money.

No disrespect meant to the players, but even they must be questioning what is going on at times. How can they give 100% in training and game time?

Also to Mr Hood, if you issue a statement saying you hope to have a coach named by the end of June, when it gets to the first week in July issue another statement letting people know the status. There is no wonder the fans get frustrated.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg

Mick, of course they are not the be all and end all. You will always get coaches, players, leaders...who perform well above their perceived level. We have seen that lots of time in RL. Hell, we have seen it on the park this year with some of our own youngsters!

The trouble is, once one of the over-achievers falls under the public gaze, then every man and his dog wants them. And the cost goes up. Just a bit.

Remember Macca had the opportunity to take on a head coach job for the first time, relatively untried and untested (and OK, cue for those saying and look what happened...). Potter has already been head coach at two SLclubs, as well as having served a long apprenticeship as assistant including under Elliott. You reckon Macca costs more than Potter would? Especially as he indicated he wants back to Oz - eventually if not now - so the weak Sterling has a very big bearing.

I fully agree and accept that a very good coach should get a better performance out of a given set of players (where does Capello fit in...?). Same applies to any leader of men. If you can afford a very good coach, then that is IMO likely to be a better investment than in another marquee player (for example). I hope the coach we appoint is indeed a very good coach. But equally, you also need to find a very good coach who is prepared to work with considerably less funding than if he went to certain other clubs, which means there is a lot more resting on his coaching ability. If you were a coach, would you go for the less-fashionable club with resource constraints ahead of say a n NRL role or a role at at monied club in SL? If you had achieved everything and were now in it just for the challenge then maybe; but coaches have families to feed same as everyone else.

And I'll say it again - you want a better coach, you have to pay better money. Its called the law of supply and demand, page 1 of an economics texbook. RL is not exempt from that universal law.

Which is why I am yet unmoved regarding the significance of financial resources in the equation.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2044
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Its like waiting for the wife to give birth is this decision re our new coach!!!

Nobody actually knows what you are having but everyone claims to know!!

eusa_wall.gif eusa_wall.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach84No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2011Feb 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jsb1990 "Horrible appointment if true he's done nothing at Harlequins another cheap option by Bradford once again, Harlequins fans must be delighted.'"

Bit harsh... They are in a worse situation than us. No crowds, no money, injuries. Yet every now and again when he has the team together they can go and get wonder results. Some good kids come through down there, Kids that have not being playing the game long unlike some of our northern juniors who have being playing since 5 / 6 years old.

Either will do me. A new start for the club and hopefully a lift for everyone including the fans. A good positive start will soon have the missing fans coming back.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7392No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20337_1416501684.jpg
Mac out!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20337.jpg

Please take McDermott away from London-He is without doubt the worse coach we have had in 15 years Ive been watching-Accepting he hasn't got the raft of Aussies others have had.

He makes bizarre decisions such as only using 3 players of the bench, never sticking with a set team, playing Randal at 7 and Orr 9, Going from boring kick dead on the 5th rugby to throwing it about without forwards setting the platform.

As a coach I find him to be unintelligent-He doesnt appear to be able to change what he sees in front of him if its going wrong.

No I would be happy to see him leave Quins-His win record is appalling-He hangs his hat on tough defence- see our scores against Wire, Leeds........ 50+ points!!!!!

One bonus is he doesnt like fat players- so anyone carrying weight better be prepared as Haggerty found out

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach9095No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13462.gif
:13462.gif

Adey, I expect Potter would be the more expensive option but I can't see his demands being that far out of our reach. Perhaps McNamara's wage and Worrincy off the budget would just about cover it? icon_wink.gif

Also I understand McDermott is still under contract, so is he really the cheap option?

402 posts in 28 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
402 posts in 28 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.94775390625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
Dave K.
5m
2024 Dream Team
Moe syslak
6m
Who do we want in the play-offs
MorePlaymake
6m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
krisleeds
11m
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
Itchy Arsena
12m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
14m
Loop fixtures 2025
easyWire
14m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
15m
Film game
Boss Hog
31m
Shopping list for 2025
Dave K.
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Who do we want in the play-offs
MorePlaymake
49s
Betting 2024
karetaker
52s
2024 Dream Team
Moe syslak
1m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
1m
Loop fixtures 2025
easyWire
1m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
WIZEB
1m
SL Dream Team 2024
chapylad
1m
Rumours and signings v9
CM Punk
1m
Barrow
westgaterunn
1m
Victor
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
SL Dream Team 2024
chapylad
TODAY
2024 Dream Team
Moe syslak
TODAY
Loop fixtures 2025
easyWire
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition St Helens Home Play Off
Uncle Rico
TODAY
Salford Away Travel Information Play Off Eliminator 27/9/24
LancashireRe
TODAY
Swinton v Dons - Sunday 22 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
AJoshua
karetaker
TODAY
David Hughes
orangeman
TODAY
Catalans Dragons Finish Seventh Hull Avoid the Wooden Spoon
RLFANS News
TODAY
Victor
TODAY
Season 2024
ploinerrhino
TODAY
Hull KR Secure Second With Victory Over Leeds
RLFANS News
TODAY
Tonights match v London
just_browny
TODAY
Wembley photo
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trophy By Thrashing Salford
RLFANS News
TODAY
Barrow
westgaterunn
TODAY
Holly Spurr Interview
JamieRobinso
TODAY
Wolves again
Uncle Rico
TODAY
Academy Players Promoted to First Team Squad
Simba16
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Saints
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Round 27 HKR Away
chapylad
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
Leeds Rhinos Ride Their Luck F..
Wigan Warriors Level Top As Ca..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M +13,248 80,12414,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
       Championship 2024-R27
15:00
Batley
v
Swinton
Halifax
v
Bradford
Swinton
v
Doncaster
       League One 2024-R24
Hunslet
v
Midlands
Keighley
v
Rochdale
 Fri 27th Sep
     National Rugby League 2024-R30
10:50
Melbourne
v
Sydney
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R28
20:00
Salford
v
Leigh
 Sat 28th Sep
     National Rugby League 2024-R30
10:50
Penrith
v
Cronulla
       Championship 2024-R28
17:00
Toulouse
v
Batley
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R28
17:00
Warrington
v
St.Helens
 Sun 29th Sep
       Championship 2024-R28
Barrow
v
Widnes
Bradford
v
Swinton
Dewsbury
v
Sheffield
Wakefield
v
Doncaster
Whitehaven
v
Halifax
York
v
Featherstone
 Sun 27th Oct 2024
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov 2024
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 21st Sep
SL 27 Hull FC4-24Catalans
CH 27 Featherstone50-12Dewsbury
CH 27 Widnes12-18Toulouse
CH 27 Wakefield46-0Barrow
NRL 29 Sydney40-16Manly
Fri 20th Sep
SL 27 Hull KR26-16Leeds
SL 27 Leigh18-12St.Helens
SL 27 Warrington54-0LondonB
CH 27 Sheffield24-26York
NRL 29 Cronulla26-18NQL Cowboys
Thu 19th Sep
SL 27 Huddersfield34-10Castleford
SL 27 Wigan64-0Salford
Sun 15th Sep
WSL2024 14 FeatherstoneW6-32York V
WSL2024 14 Hudds W36-0Wire W
CH 26 Barrow34-14Whitehaven
CH 26 Bradford16-14Batley
CH 26 Dewsbury16-28Swinton
CH 26 Doncaster30-14Widnes
CH 26 Featherstone6-20Sheffield
CH 26 Wakefield20-4York
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Warrington 27 738 319 419 40
Salford 27 550 547 3 32
Leigh 27 566 398 168 31
St.Helens 27 596 388 208 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 25 938 256 682 48
Toulouse 24 680 352 328 33
Bradford 24 618 373 245 32
York 26 639 463 176 28
Featherstone 25 616 484 132 28
Sheffield 25 618 498 120 28

Widnes 25 525 451 74 27
Doncaster 24 470 527 -57 23
Batley 24 378 513 -135 20
Halifax 24 475 617 -142 20