FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Bradford Bulls > Knee jerk poll..................
183 posts in 13 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach9093No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13462.gif
:13462.gif

There wasn't much about VP that I enjoyed.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach8877No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/combustable.gif
Red Amber and Black Fantasy Rugby League Champion 2012. By far the most sensible posts on this thread have come from mystic eddie. - copyright Ewwenorfolk 09.04.2013 Aye, and Eddie is hinting at it too. And, as we all know: Mystic Eddie has been right all along! - copyright vbfg 05.01.2017:Others/combustable.gif

Quote: af "You've forgotten what we're arguing about. You accused someone of being 'out in the sun too long' for suggesting we might have a say in the play-offs. Looking at our form - some good wins, some shocking defeats and a load of narrow ones - it seems far from inconceivable we'll put enough wins together to make the eight, then pull something out in the post-season. Again, we're not talking certainties or even likelihoods but possibilities..'"

Truthfully then, do you think we will make the play-offs, and, if so, make a good go of it? And why?

Quote: af "And the reason I posted first of all was that I was just finding your habit of adding a snide 'aren't we cr.p?' comment to every thread a bit tedious.'"
A bit like your Leeds/Saints love ins then? icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14145No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45.jpg

Quote: debaser "So what was the logic behind this decision?
So the Bulls own nothing?'"

Were you not around at the time all this happened? (Serious question).

Don't really want to go over what happened yet again, to be honest, although I can see from elsewhere on this thread that some people are not telling it quite as it was. But I'll have stab, quickly and from recollection in simple terms. Mostly fact, but also an element of supposition on my part and maybe opinion, shall we say?

1. The club moved "temporarily" to VP while the new stadium and Tescos retail development were to be built.

2. However, there was suspiciously little progress on the Odsal development after we moved out, and a year later nothing had happened.

3. Various companies objected to the planning consent, primarily other retailers (including Morrisons, Asda and the Co-op (they who are no longer there...) ) which just happen to be competitors to Tesco, regardless of the reasons they gave in objection at the time. There was considerable discussion about Ken Morrison at the time, with some rather uncomplimentary adjectives being applied to him although it needs to be remembered that he was chair of a plc and therefore his primary responsibility was to his shareholders not his fellow Bradfordians (unfortunately).

4. Even though the Council gave planning consent, the scheme was "called in" for review by central government - because of the retail element being "out of town", primarily. Even though, of course, we already had large Morrisons and Asda supermarkets scattered round the ring road. It was suggested by some at the time that the scheme was always likely to be called in, and that people involved in the scheme knew, or ought to have known, that this would be so. I cannot comment further on that speculation of the time.

5. Because of this (allegedly) the developers pulled out, as did Tesco, and the scheme was scrapped. With Bulls stranded at VP. Oh joy.

6. At around this time, Bradford City were in the mire financially because of...well I'll leave it to City fans to explain that one and the activities of Mr Richmond.

7. There was speculation at the time was that Council would pay the Bulls about £5m to buy themselves out of the Odsal agreement, Bulls would pay this to City to buy in to VP as a junior partner, and the council would then redevelop the Odsal site for housing/industrial/whatever. By this means, the council would be laughing cos it had freed up a big chunk of strategically-situated land which it could presumably make a lot of money on developing AND it has got out of the Odsal agreement; City would be laughing cos the money from the council via the Bulls would have solved their financial problems; and the council would have effectively bailed out City, the ultimate recipient of what they paid without it looking at all like that. The then-Chief Exec of the council was supposedly a big soccer fan, although it is inconceivable that this could have had any bearing on actions taken. As I stress, this was the talk at the time. It was less clear just how the Bulls stood to gain from this hypothetical scenario, if at all...

8. Funnily enough, Tesco seemed to all the world hardly devastated at having to to pull out of the scheme. Curiously, shortly afterwards they were allowed to open up that big site on Great Horton Road, and were then given approval to significantly expand their site on Canal Road. Indeed, that latter site is now to be developed even further. Neither of those sites seemed to be regarded as presenting a problem to the city centre, even though both involve large non-food elements and it was the non-food element that was seen to be the problem with the site at Odsal. And funnily enough Morrisons were allowed to site a non-food Matalan next to their Mayo Avenue store shortly afterwards. The reader can draw whatever conclusions they want from those curious developments. The conspiracy theorists certainly did at the time, pointing to "reasons" why it would suit the council for the Bulls to stay at VP. I could not comment, obviously.

9. The talk at the time was also that the deal at VP was not at all advantageous to the Bulls, and that there were serious issues between the club and Richmond. Most of this was anecdotal, and in public the Bulls were always careful to thank City for their help.

10. The majority of both Bulls fans and away fans did not like VP. Numerous issues, some more understandable than others. Issues such as the perceived heavy-handed stewarding because they could not get their heads round it not being soccer crowds; the terrible queues to get a drink, cos they could not get their heads round the fact that you could drink at RL matches; the lack of space for any of the (as then was) extensive pre-match activities; the way the away fans were cooped up in that stand at the end and were segregated, the problems with car parking...and so on. It had also to be said that the corporate facilities were far superior, the views were usually better and the covered stands (less wet supporters too, at the back at least) made for more noise. The less-understandable reasons were that, e.g., it was too far to walk to. I guess ultimately it came down to "it wasn't ours and it wasn't home"

11. The club wanted back to Odsal, whatever some may now say. They held a public meeting (at Cedar Court) and made that very very clear. They actively encouraged the formation of a supporters' association to, inter alia, campaign for a return to Odsal. I can state categorically that the large majority of Bulls fans DID want to return to Odsal - I was one of those actively campaigning for that, and heard first hand what supporters wanted. Others who were involved in the "Try for Odsal" campaign and other separate campaigns will be able to testify to that.

12. In the end, the club cut the deal with the council to return to Odsal. To clarify what someone said earlier, which was not the whole story, the deal was that the council would still buy itself out of the "1986 Agreement", which committed the council to providing, manning and maintaining the stadium till 2019 AND to making an annual payment to the Bulls, in exchange for all the food and drink concessions etc. At the same time, the council granted the Bulls a very long lease for a peppercorn rent - to all intents an purposes freehold, except of course the club could not sell the site or change its use. Also, crucially, the agreement (quite reasonably) provided for the club to repay the Odsal Settlement pro-rata if we did not play 90% of our league games there till 2019, running-off on a sliding scale.

13. From the above, you can see how the Odsal Settlement was theoretically a good deal for the club - in theory we should have been no worse off than before, although (contrary to what some people would have you believe, no better off either) and back at our "home"; a decent deal for the council (again contrary to what some would have you believe) because they were freed of the obligation of the 2019 agreement AND for having to sort out the contamination etc issues with the site so THEY were no worse off than before and if anything marginally better off; and not good news for City, because they had to sort out the financial mess of their own (well, Richmond's) making themselves.

14. You can also see from the above why the Bulls cannot sell Odsal, or move out for years yet because we could not afford the repayment to the council. So we are basically locked-in there, unless something changes. Like the OSV.

15. Where did it go wrong? Basically, as far as I can determine, because after the incredible 2003 season the club budgeted for an increase in attendances of around 1000 or so. And instead we saw a reduction of similar amount. Result = significant loss of income. At the same time, apparently it transpired that the costs of running the stadium were going to be far higher than anticipated - maintenance and H&S work alone was frightening. Dunno what due diligence was done, but it doesn't look like it was that good. Of course, its easy to speculate about whether the council could get work done much cheaper than we could, or whether they attributed all the costs properly or whatever, but it seems we ended up with much higher costs than expected with significantly lower income than expected. And for a club that was technically insolvent before the move to VP (source: published accounts) and was not making trading profits despite the early SL success but was actually relying on loans from directors (since repaid), this was serious indeed.

16. Caisley railed at the fans for not turning up. Indeed, Bullseye and I spent a morning putting out a press release in response to his sharpest outburst. It becomes increasingly clear that his outbursts about the fans - counterproductive though they surely were - were probably driven by desperation about the deteriorating financial position following the return to Odsal.

17. Back to the original point: on the assumptions it seems the club made regarding costs and income, the Odsal Settlement agreement looked to make sense financially. Indeed, it must have done given the cacophony of abuse we got from City fans, Keighley fans and anyone else who felt we had cut a very good deal. Unfortunately, the club's assumptions seemed to have turned out to have been far too optimistic, and the deal seems to have proved to be nothing like as favourable as most people thought at the time. Indeed, it has become a millstone given the disastrous drop in crowds. It looks increasingly like the only winners - if anyone was - were the council, and Tesco. City fans did not deserve what happened to their club under Richmond's regime, and Bulls fans increasingly failing to turn up at Odsal speaks for itself.

That has taken nearly an hour, and has been rushed, and so is bound to be at best approximate and with errors, and likely to be open to attack, but its the best I can do to try and help explain why we are where we are now. Others please feel free to improve on this.

MDF
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1769No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Jan 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
14000.jpg
//mikefarren.wordpress.com/:14000.jpg

Quote: Adeybull "A comprehensive and timely summary.'"

Thanks.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17138No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: Ferocious Aardvark "You're now the proud owner of a square something of titchwell march in Norfolk. With EU Life project funding that doubled to a tenner and i matched the stake so between us we own half the reserve.

You Sir are a true gent, & no mistake. a014.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12310
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28396_1358365565.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28396.jpg

Quote: Adeybull "....snip.........'"

Thanks for that Adey, I appreciate it, even if some don't. It certainly helped me clear up some of the things I was uncertain about. icon_biggrin.gif

af
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman10445No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Aug 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
731.jpg
Bradford gave us Hockney, Leeds gave us Moyles.:731.jpg

Google's handy, isn't it?

rlThe alternative Bulls were faced with.rl

And rlhere'srl a very interesting quote.

Quote: "The thoughts of City fans were expressed by former City Gent editor John Dewhirst, writing in When Saturday Comes.

“Our first season away from Valley Parade was one of despair. The local authority appeared reluctant to assist in the redevelopment of our home ground, and it seemed that we might have to watch our football at the inhospitable Odsal stadium.

“Followers of the Bantams were active in petitioning for the return to Valley Parade. The initial hesitation of local government to provide money alienated people who pointed to the fact that enormous amounts of money had been spent on restoring a Bradford theatre. Correspondence to the local press included the usual sermons from the law and order brigade, demanding why public money should be used to assist a private limited company.”'"

Of course these days it's City fans doling out the same sermons.

Bulls have been the victims of a slum landlord. This mess should have been sorted out decades ago.

af
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Aug 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
731.jpg

Quote: "Council engineer Wardley drew up a plan in September 1951 for a 92,000 capacity ‘European’ style stadium, at a cost of £250,000. In the event £50,000 was spent on terracing the Rooley Avenue end in 1964, before the Wardley plan was officially dropped the following year. Arguably, the Wardley plan was the biggest missed opportunity of Bradford’s sporting history. From almost that moment, any hope of a cohesive plan for developing a shared City of Bradford stadium was gone.'"

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member16239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1776_1294872033.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1776.jpg

Quote: af "Bulls have been the victims of a slum landlord. This mess would have been sorted out decades ago.'"

One hell of an expensive slum, they can't even do that right.

af
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Aug 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
731.jpg

Quote: Asim "One hell of an expensive slum, they can't even do that right.'"

Whether you're being sarky or not, that is correct.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach9986No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2019Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13747_1541715311.jpg
[b:3g5rrn89](and I feel fine)[/b:3g5rrn89]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_13747.jpg

Thank you Adey.
Yes I was around but didn't really (to my shame) take a lot of notice of what was going on.

Its a bloody shame that there is two clubs in two (apparent) messes in the same city and they can't help each other.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach8877No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/combustable.gif
Red Amber and Black Fantasy Rugby League Champion 2012. By far the most sensible posts on this thread have come from mystic eddie. - copyright Ewwenorfolk 09.04.2013 Aye, and Eddie is hinting at it too. And, as we all know: Mystic Eddie has been right all along! - copyright vbfg 05.01.2017:Others/combustable.gif

Quote: mystic eddie "Truthfully then, do you think we will make the play-offs, and, if so, make a good go of it? And why?
'"

Still thinking Andrew?

af
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Aug 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
731.jpg

Quote: mystic eddie "Still thinking Andrew?'"

Answered you way back. Possible yes, perhaps not likely but possible. Anyone trying to make predictions about this Bulls side has been made to look daft this season one way or another.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach8877No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/combustable.gif

Quote: af "Answered you way back. '"

No you didn't. Not a straight answer certainly. For one who always needs to get opinions from others in a debate you seem to be strangely non-committal?

Quote: af "Possible yes, perhaps not likely but possible.'"

Like this for instance. Nothing like hedging your bets is there?

I asked for YOUR opinion on whether YOU think they will make it and if so, if they could make an impact. Simply avoiding the question or talking in riddles does you no favours when you are always keen to get answers from others.

af
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Aug 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
731.jpg

I don't think they will. I wouldn't be flabberghasted if they did. I certainly don't think that anyone who thinks they will has been 'out in the sun too long'. Even if I did, I would think twice before pasting similar comments all over every topic.

Quote: "Nothing like hedging your bets is there? '"

Who wouldn't. There doesn't seem to be any more rhyme or reason to the Bulls' season so far than there would be to a coin toss. Now you can toss a coin and confidently predict the result and be right half the time. But you would be more of a mug than the person who 'hedges their bets' and admitted they didn't know for sure.

183 posts in 13 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
183 posts in 13 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.232421875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
bishops fing
6m
Le Cats at home - Los Alomos Custers Last Stand
Armavinit
15m