JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

Fev are an ambitious club but I can't see them ever becoming a top SL team. They're too small for that. In their heyday they were always the plucky underdog from a little town managing to spring the occasional upset but for the most part they yo-yo between the 1st and 2nd tier.

Good luck to them but like Bullinenemyland I've found Fev increasingly unwelcome in recent years despite the ground itself being very good. They've always had a few idiots in their following (anyone remember the 1989 YC Final?) and need to weed them out. Not that we're squeaky clean in that dept either.

I was reading Tony Collins's superb Rugby League in the 20th Century - A Social and Cultural History recently - I recommend it. The passage on the game between 1975 and 1995 is particularly good. We seem to be at a crossroads in the game that is very similar to the early 70s. Back then they struggled to fill stadiums. Crowds were at a low ebb. The game lacked leadership, people's habits had changed. The RFL brought in Oxley and Howes to replace Bill Fallowfield and they transformed things. The game's income from sponsorship went from 4k to over 400k in 7 years. A hundred fold increase. Crowds increased again and the game was on the up by the 80s. We need transformative change like that from the top again.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9033No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13462.gif
:13462.gif

To be fair to Fev, I recall less than welcoming receptions at plenty of SL clubs such as Wakey, Wire and Saints. Plenty of songs with colourful language broadcast over Sky. We also have our element who recently let the club down so I don't see it as a reason for them not being deserving of a chance if and when it ever comes.

Clubs like Fev will be around long after some rich folk in France have got bored of funding a SL club. Granted a trip to Fev isn't as as appealing as a jaunt to France but let's not be so dismissive of teams that live and breathe the sport.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9033No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13462.gif
:13462.gif

I'd argue Fev are a bigger club than the likes of Salford who look to be heading back to the wilderness after a brief flirt with some success and now uncertainty over their stadium.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31697
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

Quote: Bully_Boxer "To be fair to Fev, I recall less than welcoming receptions at plenty of SL clubs such as Wakey, Wire and Saints. Plenty of songs with colourful language broadcast over Sky. We also have our element who recently let the club down so I don't see it as a reason for them not being deserving of a chance if and when it ever comes.

Clubs like Fev will be around long after some rich folk in France have got bored of funding a SL club. Granted a trip to Fev isn't as as appealing as a jaunt to France but let's not be so dismissive of teams that live and breathe the sport.'"

Well I’m not singling Fev out for their undesirable element – just saying they have one, which is undeniable. I also said we do too and I didn’t see anyone on this thread cite that as a reason they shouldn’t be promoted. As for Fev “being around” long after “some rich folk get bored” well what can I say? If you take that attitude to its logical conclusion we should turn down anyone with any money unless they’re from an area that played RL since at least 1889. RL has been played in France for nearly 100 years now so they’re hardly “johnny come latelys”. In fact they have shown more commitment to the game than many over here when you look at how their game was banned during the war, had all its assets seized and couldn’t even call itself “rugby league” until the 1990s. Now they’ve got their act together on and off the field they should be fairly rewarded.

Quote: Bully_Boxer "I'd argue Fev are a bigger club than the likes of Salford who look to be heading back to the wilderness after a brief flirt with some success and now uncertainty over their stadium.'"

Salford have won plenty in their history – more than Fev in fact. However they’re both yo-yo teams if you look at the past 40 years so not completely dissimilar in terms of playing record. Ironically Salford were the leading club off the field in the 1960s and 1970s when the game was in the doldrums (like now). They diversified their business and were commercially successful. So much so that the RFL used them as an example for others to follow. If either Salford or Fev or the British game is going to thrive they need to look outside their immediate traditional audience as well as old fogeys like you and me.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1934No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Interesting points about the 70s.

I heard Paul Rowley discussing Toronto. He was very pro-Canadian RL and had coached there but he said the main issue was the total absence of a plan of what the game would or should look like in 10 years time and what the benefit of that would be.
There was nothing to judge anything by and asked why would any teams supporters agree to their being replaced in SL by a team with no cultural relevance to them.

I'm really interested in watching a tightly fought GB v France game but watching Toulouse is akin to watching racing from Turfontein or the IPL. SO, what is the plan? Or is it just whoever comes along with money to fund a club can get to the SL and another once proud club goes into a league with zero funding on an inexorable journey to becoming Oldham? I don't want to watch that, much less pay for it because it renders our game soulless, and without meaning, which I think is what Rowley really meant.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31697
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg

Quote: M@islebugs "SO, what is the plan? Or is it just whoever comes along with money to fund a club can get to the SL and another once proud club goes into a league with zero funding on an inexorable journey to becoming Oldham? I don't want to watch that, much less pay for it because it renders our game soulless, and without meaning, which I think is what Rowley really meant.'"

Ask Ralph what the plan is...

But it's always been like this. The successful clubs are the ones with financial backing that are well run. Once that disappears the rot sets in. It's been the case for just about every club. It just happens to be that Catalans and Toulouse are successful at the moment. Would you be happier to see them failing? I daresay it won't last forever because it never does.

The game as a whole is in a rut just like it was in the late 60s/early 70s. People losing interest and finding other ways to spend their time so fewer people playing and watching. Clubs struggling financially. A vacuum of ideas and leadership at the top. Self interest filling the vacuum.

Anyone on here remember when the RFL asked some external consultants to do a root and branch review into the game? It was called the Caine Report it was ruthless in it's criticism of the RFL. I can't see Ralph commissioning something like this again but it's what is needed. Tony Collins writes about it all here - so many paralells:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Rwe ... ue&f=false
Quote: M@islebugs "SO, what is the plan? Or is it just whoever comes along with money to fund a club can get to the SL and another once proud club goes into a league with zero funding on an inexorable journey to becoming Oldham? I don't want to watch that, much less pay for it because it renders our game soulless, and without meaning, which I think is what Rowley really meant.'"

Ask Ralph what the plan is...

But it's always been like this. The successful clubs are the ones with financial backing that are well run. Once that disappears the rot sets in. It's been the case for just about every club. It just happens to be that Catalans and Toulouse are successful at the moment. Would you be happier to see them failing? I daresay it won't last forever because it never does.

The game as a whole is in a rut just like it was in the late 60s/early 70s. People losing interest and finding other ways to spend their time so fewer people playing and watching. Clubs struggling financially. A vacuum of ideas and leadership at the top. Self interest filling the vacuum.

Anyone on here remember when the RFL asked some external consultants to do a root and branch review into the game? It was called the Caine Report it was ruthless in it's criticism of the RFL. I can't see Ralph commissioning something like this again but it's what is needed. Tony Collins writes about it all here - so many paralells:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Rwe ... ue&f=false

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4536
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19767.jpg
:19767.jpg

Thanks for link Bullseye, a very interesting read

I'd like to grab a copy of that book but - wow - the price is eye-watering! I'm going to keep a lookout for a reasonably priced second-hand copy.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31697
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg

Second hand ones on Amazon for about £20.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1934No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Bullseye "Ask Ralph what the plan is...

It hasn't always been like this. Collins speaks of the move from regional to national identity with the advent of TV among other things. How does 2 French and an intended Canadian team sit within this? It's radical by any standards and any sport. We're down to 10 top flight English clubs and fewer academies with 2nd tier cast adrift.

Go ask Ralph about the plan?? I'm saying it's a self-evident disaster with falling TV deal, attendances, crucially at major events. You're saying admitting 2 French teams with no evidence, idea or plan whatsoever of potential benefit is of itself a good thing because it sort of looks a bit less northern and depressing.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31697
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg

Quote: M@islebugs "It hasn't always been like this. Collins speaks of the move from regional to national identity with the advent of TV among other things. How does 2 French and an intended Canadian team sit within this? It's radical by any standards and any sport. We're down to 10 top flight English clubs and fewer academies with 2nd tier cast adrift.

Go ask Ralph about the plan?? I'm saying it's a self-evident disaster with falling TV deal, attendances, crucially at major events. You're saying admitting 2 French teams with no evidence, idea or plan whatsoever of potential benefit is of itself a good thing because it sort of looks a bit less northern and depressing.'"

The game has shrunk since the financial crash, no doubt about it. That for me is the main cause of the state things are in. Lack of money. And it's only going to get worse as TV money dries up. The game doesn't (and never has had) a model other than "rich clubs are the most successful" so those with wealthy owners end up in SL. Maybe it should have a different model? What would that look like? We already have a salary cap but still only 4 winners of SL in 25 years.

I was dubious about Toronto because of the lack of any firm foundations there, I always thought it was doomed. In France though the game has grassroots and has been played there for nearly 100 years. I've nothing against a French team in SL just like I've nothing against NZ Warriors playing in the NRL.

I think we share concerns about the state of the game in this country and that's down to a lack of leadership and expertise in the RFL and clubs. Chucking out Catalans and Toulouse and replacing them with Leigh and Fev wouldn't change a thing for the positive IMO.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1934No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Bullseye "The game has shrunk since the financial crash, no doubt about it. That for me is the main cause of the state things are in. Lack of money. And it's only going to get worse as TV money dries up. The game doesn't (and never has had) a model other than "rich clubs are the most successful" so those with wealthy owners end up in SL. Maybe it should have a different model? What would that look like? We already have a salary cap but still only 4 winners of SL in 25 years.

I was dubious about Toronto because of the lack of any firm foundations there, I always thought it was doomed. In France though the game has grassroots and has been played there for nearly 100 years. I've nothing against a French team in SL just like I've nothing against NZ Warriors playing in the NRL.

I think we share concerns about the state of the game in this country and that's down to a lack of leadership and expertise in the RFL and clubs. Chucking out Catalans and Toulouse and replacing them with Leigh and Fev wouldn't change a thing for the positive IMO.'"

Fair enough. The elephant in the room for all Bulls fans is that there's a club with a history of 10-15k support in a huge city, with a history of producing some of the best players in the world, and whose decline mirrors that of SL to an uncanny degree. My fear is we've reduced SL to the level of Wakefield and are in the process of reducing British RL to the level of France.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31697
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg

Quote: M@islebugs "Fair enough. The elephant in the room for all Bulls fans is that there's a club with a history of 10-15k support in a huge city, with a history of producing some of the best players in the world, and whose decline mirrors that of SL to an uncanny degree. My fear is we've reduced SL to the level of Wakefield and are in the process of reducing British RL to the level of France.'"

Can't argue with any of that. Hence the comparison with where we were in the 70s. We need new leadership in the game to stop the rot. Unfortunately Ralph has Huddersfield Sheffield Giants on his CV and not much else.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1215
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I see it a little differently I think...

With the razzmatazz of SL came a wider TV audience and a bigger buzz. To the extent of the Bulls shirt on my back being recognised by a very well heeled family from Surrey whilst on holiday.

The game failed to capitalise and interest was lost. No matter how you dress it up RL is not aspirational in the eyes of the public. Union is, definitely, it's the tory party to our Labour, One's dour, lost and too busy in fighting whilst the other pretends to be for everyone and can cover up the fact it's second rate with media attention telling the public it's what they really want.

Having a couple of French teams might add some glamour, whether we like it or not, so may get more people interested, if it doesn't what have we lost? Nothing, but if it piques the interest of the public it may just help shift the dour, northern, dying game image all other sport are happy for us to carry. Does Sebastian in Surrey want to watch Catalans v Toulouse or Fev v Oldham?

Lets face it there is less and less money up here so...

RankPostsTeam
International Star1934No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31697
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg

Yeah I saw that. The lack of away fans seems to be the main gripe amongst some. Can't help but think that these clubs need to do more to maximise income generating opportunities outside the gate receipts. There are a few English SL clubs that bring a paltry amount of away fans but I don't see many asking for the likes of Salford and Hudders to be given the chop. I know many clubs are living hand to mouth but I fear short term thinking won't help.

I remember when we went from average gates of 4k to average gates of 13-14k. A lot of that was down to Peter Deakin attracting a new audience. It's not impossible. Sure, having a successful team helps but I remember when we won the league two seasons running in 79/80 and 80/81 the crowds never got to a five figure average - not close.

As for the moan about the cost of travelling to France for an away game the two French clubs do that every other week without complaint.

38 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
38 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.2158203125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
nidger
3m
TV games not Wire
ratticusfinc
5m
FC v hull kr
tommyfromhul
10m
Vegas Baby
MidlandsWarr
11m
Saints h
Big Steve
17m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
17m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
26m
Bradford
BigTime
30m
Cas
BigTime
34m
Lewis Murphy
jonh
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
51s
FC v hull kr
tommyfromhul
55s
For the live of god Arthur out
christopher
59s
Round 17 Warrington Away
Loiner at la
1m
Squad 2024
Listenup94
1m
Watson toast
FIL
1m
Shopping list for 2025
Jake the Peg
1m
Recruitment rumours and links
karetaker
1m
Wigan Warriors Extend League Lead with Derby Win
RLFANS News
1m
Salford - Away
Riderofthepa
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Wigan Warriors Extend League Lead with Derby Win
RLFANS News
TODAY
Toulouse game
REDWHITEANDB
TODAY
Ashton extends contract
chris2925
TODAY
Damel Diakhate
Eastern Wild
TODAY
Sackings
SFW
TODAY
Warrington Wolves Into Second With Win Over Leeds
RLFANS News
TODAY
Tonights game v Leeds
karetaker
TODAY
Watson toast
FIL
TODAY
Watson Been Stood Down
Deeeekos
TODAY
Watson gone
Jo Jumbuck
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Giants
doc999
TODAY
Just makes me laugh
Wildmoggy
TODAY
Anyone know about wfd v batley
Redscat
TODAY
Bradford
BigTime
TODAY
One more Saints inspired novel
glee
TODAY
Bradford Away 140724
Luppylad
TODAY
Fax v Fev
The Phantom
TODAY
Cas
BigTime
TODAY
Round 17 Warrington Away
Loiner at la
TODAY
Saints h
Big Steve
TODAY
For the live of god Arthur out
christopher
TODAY
Arthur In
Tex Rerp
TODAY
Wakefield H
Bullseye
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wigan Warriors Extend League L..
Warrington Wolves Into Second ..
Salford Hold On To Beat Unluck..
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M +22,935 ↑12580,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
08:30
Gold Coast
v
Parramatta
10:35
Brisbane
v
St.George
     Womens Super League 2024-R8
12:00
York V
v
FeatherstoneW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
15:00
Hull FC
v
Hull KR
Leigh
v
Huddersfield
       Championship 2024-R15
Whitehaven
v
Toulouse
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
17:30
Catalans
v
Salford
 TOMORROW
12:00
Wire W
v
LeedsW
       League One 2024-R15
14:00
Newcastle
v
Hunslet
14:00
Hudds W
v
BarrowW
       Championship 2024-R15
Batley
v
Barrow
Bradford
v
Wakefield
Halifax
v
Featherstone
Sheffield
v
Swinton
Widnes
v
Dewsbury
York
v
Doncaster
       League One 2024-R15
Oldham
v
Crusaders
Workington
v
Rochdale
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
17:05
Manly
v
Newcastle
 Wed 17th Jul
     State of Origin 2023-R3
11:05
Queensland
v
New South Wales
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
17:30
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Fri 12th Jul
NRL 19 Cronulla58-6Wests
SL 17 LondonB20-34Castleford
WSL2024 8 WiganW12-16St.HelensW
SL 17 Wigan16-12St.Helens
Thu 11th Jul
NRL 19 Dolphins36-28Souths
SL 17 Warrington30-18Leeds
Sun 7th Jul
NRL 18 Sydney42-12St.George
NRL 18 Canberra12-16Newcastle
SL 16 Salford22-20Hull FC
CH 14 Dewsbury16-20Doncaster
CH 14 Featherstone66-0Whitehaven
CH 14 Swinton24-12Widnes
CH 14 Wakefield34-12Batley
CH 14 York54-12Barrow
L1 14 Newcastle0-44Workington
L1 14 Crusaders18-32Midlands
L1 14 Keighley20-20Rochdale
WSL2024 7 Wire W10-32Hudds W
WSL2024 7 York V44-0BarrowW
Sat 6th Jul
NRL 18 Canterbury13-12NZ Warriors
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 16 443 182 261 28
Warrington 17 436 231 205 24
St.Helens 17 441 186 255 22
Hull KR 16 397 217 180 22
Salford 16 317 308 9 22
Catalans 16 304 234 70 20

Leeds 17 309 316 -7 18
Huddersfield 16 298 365 -67 12
Leigh 15 270 250 20 11
Castleford 17 280 455 -175 11
Hull FC 16 218 496 -278 4
LondonB 17 176 649 -473 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 14 520 154 366 28
Sheffield 14 382 217 165 22
Bradford 14 353 230 123 19
Toulouse 13 344 186 158 17
Widnes 14 327 269 58 15
Featherstone 14 396 283 113 14

Doncaster 14 257 341 -84 13
York 15 339 305 34 12
Batley 14 217 320 -103 12
Swinton 14 284 344 -60 10