JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2023Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
24148_1315916334.jpg
[quote="OFFTHECUFF":1xb0p6sn] Wish i could watch a team like Leigh. :CLAP: [/quote:1xb0p6sn] [quote="Steve":1xb0p6sn] Dislike Leigh with a passion, but they are a million miles ahead of any other club in this league, a sad fact. [/quote:1xb0p6sn]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_24148.jpg

Quote: Bullseye " Leigh’s only real tough league games look to be versus us and Fax. Fev look weaker and Sheffield don’t look much stronger on paper at least.'"

And that for me is the biggest problem facing promotion hopefuls such as Leigh and Bradford. Games against each other and Fax will always be tough. Games against Dews/Fev/Sheffield/London sometimes throw up tough games but other times end in a one sided affair.

It is not ideal preparation for the intensity of the Middle 8's when you can win most matches playing at 75% of your best. The SL teams in the 8's will have been playing SL quality teams in SL paced games every week all season. They will be ready for a battle and used to fighting for every point.

I think Leigh last season just mentally were not prepared for that sort of adversity. We had gone through the season having (almost) everything our own way and then when we got hit with 3 back to back defeats in the 8's (The Hull KR come back and the Wakey 1pt loss particularly hurt!) I think it just took the wind out of our sails and all the bumps and bruises and injuries that you can ignore when you are winning just caught up with us and we collapsed badly.

Unfortunately the only way to catch SL clubs is to strengthen your side but this could make the problem of coasting through the season even worse leaving us more under cooked and less mentally toughened when the Middle 8's come around!

Hopefully last season taught us some serious lessons and we go into the 8's with a different attitude and ready for a real tough battle week in week out.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach993
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45148_1265187924.jpg
No Pain No Gain:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45148.jpg

Quote: roger daly "I can see Leigh going the whole season unbeaten and that includes the challenge cup'"

Somebody said that about us one year and we crashed and burned icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star3213
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68505_1605979550.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68505.jpg

Quote: Nozzy "And that for me is the biggest problem facing promotion hopefuls such as Leigh and Bradford. Games against each other and Fax will always be tough. Games against Dews/Fev/Sheffield/London sometimes throw up tough games but other times end in a one sided affair.

It is not ideal preparation for the intensity of the Middle 8's when you can win most matches playing at 75% of your best. The SL teams in the 8's will have been playing SL quality teams in SL paced games every week all season. They will be ready for a battle and used to fighting for every point.

I think Leigh last season just mentally were not prepared for that sort of adversity. We had gone through the season having (almost) everything our own way and then when we got hit with 3 back to back defeats in the 8's (The Hull KR come back and the Wakey 1pt loss particularly hurt!) I think it just took the wind out of our sails and all the bumps and bruises and injuries that you can ignore when you are winning just caught up with us and we collapsed badly.

Unfortunately the only way to catch SL clubs is to strengthen your side but this could make the problem of coasting through the season even worse leaving us more under cooked and less mentally toughened when the Middle 8's come around!

Hopefully last season taught us some serious lessons and we go into the 8's with a different attitude and ready for a real tough battle week in week out.'"

That's true. There were plenty of games last year were Bradford only turned up for 20 minutes of the game, but still came away with the win at the end of the day

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9033No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13462.gif
:13462.gif

As we saw last year, the regular season is largely irrelevant as long as you finish in the top 4. For what it is worth I expect Leigh to finish top given the current squads.

I would also expect Bradford to have made a few more signings before the middle 8's so our squad could look quite a lot different by then. I guess it's a strategy with some risk but it seems we intend to spend our cap money closer to the business end of the season. If we play to our potential then a top 2 finish should be achievable.

Fax have enough about them to beat any side, so I wouldn't write them off but I don't think they'll manage enough consistency to finish in the top 2.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain Build Bridges NOT Walls:1271.jpg

Quote: Nozzy "And that for me is the biggest problem facing promotion hopefuls such as Leigh and Bradford. Games against each other and Fax will always be tough. Games against Dews/Fev/Sheffield/London sometimes throw up tough games but other times end in a one sided affair.

Hopefully last season taught us some serious lessons and we go into the 8's with a different attitude and ready for a real tough battle week in week out.'"

The biggest problem is the wide ability differential between many clubs in early part of the season. With many of the games, and let's not beat about the bush with this, being more like, 'opposed training sessions', than matches, the biggest difficulty is keeping our teams fully concentrating until the eights start and then being able to step up to a 'proper' set of high intensity games. In the great scheme of things, though there is a small advantage in being top, second - even third or fourth in the pre-amble won't materially affect the challenge of either club. I think it's intriguing that Leigh have brought in a host of big names before the season starts and that Bradford are, 'keeping their powder dry', until later. It will be interesting to see how the different tactics work out on the field.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15033
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
21910.gif
[u:b26ka63j][size=150:b26ka63j][color=black:b26ka63j][b:b26ka63j]I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying. [/b:b26ka63j][/color:b26ka63j][/size:b26ka63j][/u:b26ka63j] [size=117:b26ka63j]Michael Jordan[/size:b26ka63j]:21910.gif

Quote: Bulliac "The biggest problem is the wide ability differential between many clubs in early part of the season. With many of the games, and let's not beat about the bush with this, being more like, 'opposed training sessions', than matches, the biggest difficulty is keeping our teams fully concentrating until the eights start and then being able to step up to a 'proper' set of high intensity games. In the great scheme of things, though there is a small advantage in being top, second - even third or fourth in the pre-amble won't materially affect the challenge of either club. I think it's intriguing that Leigh have brought in a host of big names before the season starts and that Bradford are, 'keeping their powder dry', until later. It will be interesting to see how the different tactics work out on the field.'"

One way around that would be Leigh, Halifax, Sheffield and ourselves to leave our games against each other till last 2 months of season.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3213
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68505_1605979550.jpg

Quote: redeverready "One way around that would be Leigh, Halifax, Sheffield and ourselves to leave our games against each other till last 2 months of season.'"

Yeah, cos the RFL will certainly go for that.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain Build Bridges NOT Walls:1271.jpg

Too true.

The RFL profess to believe that, 'every second counts' [or somesuch] and are too much concerned about appearances and having good slogans than actually trying to improve matters.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3546
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2019May 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69500_1482141774.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_69500.jpg

Quote: Bulliac "Too true.

The RFL profess to believe that, 'every second counts' [or somesuch] and are too much concerned about appearances and having good slogans than actually trying to improve matters.'"

In fairness to them, everyone already sees the Championship as the "pre-match" to the main event of the Middle 8s. If they changed it to the suggestion above, it would be like the crap singer before the pre-match before the main event. And as much people would turn up to watch those games as do for the crap singer too.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain536No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2019Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

We've had a year to come to terms with the Championship and most of our new recruits have experience of it. We have a realistic chance of top 2 and that is almost essential to progress further. I don't see any need to finish first if that hinders our ability to arrive in the middle eights in the best condition .....I don't think it was seen as a big deal for us last year. I expect to be in the top 2 with Leigh.
As for those finishing 3rd and 4th I expect it to be close between Fax, Fev, Eagles, Dewsbury and London with Fax possibly shading it for 3rd.
I'm not sure how any of it will prepare us for the real business.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3546
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2019May 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69500_1482141774.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_69500.jpg

Quote: 8ULL5HITT4 "We've had a year to come to terms with the Championship and most of our new recruits have experience of it. We have a realistic chance of top 2 and that is almost essential to progress further. I don't see any need to finish first if that hinders our ability to arrive in the middle eights in the best condition .....I don't think it was seen as a big deal for us last year. I expect to be in the top 2 with Leigh.'"

Agree with that. I think it proved last year that apart from a bit of kudos for finishing top, the middle eights made very little difference as to finishing 1st or 2nd.
Finishing 3rd would be a bit worse, but top isn't essential, top 2 is.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
59880_1480501182.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_59880.jpg

Quote: 8ULL5HITT4 "We've had a year to come to terms with the Championship and most of our new recruits have experience of it. We have a realistic chance of top 2 and that is almost essential to progress further. I don't see any need to finish first if that hinders our ability to arrive in the middle eights in the best condition .....I don't think it was seen as a big deal for us last year. I expect to be in the top 2 with Leigh.
As for those finishing 3rd and 4th I expect it to be close between Fax, Fev, Eagles, Dewsbury and London with Fax possibly shading it for 3rd.
I'm not sure how any of it will prepare us for the real business.'"

I'd really like to see us push for 1st. We probably got away with Leigh imploding in the eights last year. Going to their place will not be easy. Also i think us having to play Wakey away twice probably cost us. If we got them at odsal i think we would have just sneaked it with home advantage.

I'd really like to get Leigh and the bottom SL side at our place next year.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain536No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2019Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Should the middle eight fixture permutations be published with a guarantee that they remain as such I could see the benefits of finishing first.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg

Quote: HamsterChops "In fairness to them, everyone already sees the Championship as the "pre-match" to the main event of the Middle 8s. If they changed it to the suggestion above, it would be like the crap singer before the pre-match before the main event. And as much people would turn up to watch those games as do for the crap singer too.'"

That's obviously true, but the problem is that, that [iexact[/i scenario is the major part of what the club is selling tickets for. It is 'put upable' for the keener fans, but isn't very inviting for the fair weather supporters, who I'd guess are the ones now being targetted.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3213
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68505_1605979550.jpg

Top 2 should be the target so as to get the maximum number of home games. Finishing first means nothing if you cockup the 8's.
I think Bradford's tactics through the season were the right choices looking at the big picture.
My only complaint was that the last games were spread over two days giving one team an advantage. I don't believe that Fax would have had such an easy time of it had out game been played the same time as Wakefield's as that home advantage was still up for grabs

42 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
42 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.47314453125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Recruitment rumours and links
Alffi_7
30m
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
Zig
36m
Saints h
Zig
Recent
Round 17 Warrington Away
christopher
Recent
Bradford Away 140724
RealSteel89
Recent
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
Recent
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
Recent
Arthur In
KaeruJim
Recent
Squad for Leeds
Or thane
Recent
Wakefield H
Peter Goddar
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Recruitment rumours and links
Alffi_7
2m
Arthur In
KaeruJim
2m
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
Zig
2m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Exeter Rhino
2m
TV Games - Not Hull
mwindass
2m
FC v hull kr
Jake the Peg
4m
Salford - Away
pmarrow
6m
Anyone know about wfd v batley
Wollo-Wollo-
7m
Squad for Leeds
Or thane
8m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
Trebor1
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Warrington Wolves Into Second With Win Over Leeds
RLFANS News
TODAY
Tonights game v Leeds
The Speculat
TODAY
Watson toast
newgroundb4w
TODAY
Watson Been Stood Down
Deeeekos
TODAY
Watson gone
Jo Jumbuck
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Giants
doc999
TODAY
Just makes me laugh
Wildmoggy
TODAY
Anyone know about wfd v batley
Wollo-Wollo-
TODAY
Bradford
BigTime
TODAY
One more Saints inspired novel
glee
TODAY
Bradford Away 140724
RealSteel89
TODAY
Fax v Fev
The Phantom
TODAY
Cas
RfE
TODAY
Round 17 Warrington Away
christopher
TODAY
Saints h
Zig
TODAY
For the live of god Arthur out
batleyrhino
TODAY
Arthur In
KaeruJim
TODAY
Wakefield H
Peter Goddar
TODAY
Squad for Leeds
Or thane
TODAY
Academy Internationa
Winslade's O
TODAY
Jamie Humphreys NRL Debut
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
York v Dons Sunday 14th July 2024 3pm
Double Movem
TODAY
Warrington v Wigan Super League game to take place in Las Ve
Saddened!
TODAY
Las Vegas Official
TF and the w
TODAY
have the rules changed
financialtim
TODAY
FC v hull kr
Jake the Peg
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Into Second ..
Salford Hold On To Beat Unluck..
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
Hull KR Drop Goal Secures Win ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M 2,849 80,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
11:00
Cronulla
v
Wests
     Womens Super League 2024-R8
17:30
WiganW
v
St.HelensW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
20:00
LondonB
v
Castleford
Wigan
v
St.Helens
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
08:30
Gold Coast
v
Parramatta
10:35
Brisbane
v
St.George
12:00
York V
v
FeatherstoneW
15:00
Hull FC
v
Hull KR
Leigh
v
Huddersfield
       Championship 2024-R15
Whitehaven
v
Toulouse
Catalans
v
Salford
 Sun 14th Jul
12:00
Wire W
v
LeedsW
       League One 2024-R15
14:00
Newcastle
v
Hunslet
14:00
Hudds W
v
BarrowW
       Championship 2024-R15
Batley
v
Barrow
Bradford
v
Wakefield
Halifax
v
Featherstone
Sheffield
v
Swinton
Widnes
v
Dewsbury
York
v
Doncaster
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 12th Jul
SL
LondonB-Castleford
WSL2024
WiganW-St.HelensW
SL
Wigan-St.Helens
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Thu 11th Jul
NRL 19 Dolphins36-28Souths
SL 17 Warrington30-18Leeds
Sun 7th Jul
NRL 18 Sydney42-12St.George
NRL 18 Canberra12-16Newcastle
SL 16 Salford22-20Hull FC
CH 14 Dewsbury16-20Doncaster
CH 14 Featherstone66-0Whitehaven
CH 14 Swinton24-12Widnes
CH 14 Wakefield34-12Batley
CH 14 York54-12Barrow
L1 14 Newcastle0-44Workington
L1 14 Crusaders18-32Midlands
L1 14 Keighley20-20Rochdale
WSL2024 7 Wire W10-32Hudds W
WSL2024 7 York V44-0BarrowW
Sat 6th Jul
NRL 18 Canterbury13-12NZ Warriors
NRL 18 Wests28-40Melbourne
NRL 18 NQL Cowboys20-22Manly
SL 16 Hull KR14-16Catalans
SL 16 Leeds17-16LondonB
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 15 427 170 257 26
Warrington 17 436 231 205 24
St.Helens 16 429 170 259 22
Hull KR 16 397 217 180 22
Salford 16 317 308 9 22
Catalans 16 304 234 70 20

Leeds 17 309 316 -7 18
Huddersfield 16 298 365 -67 12
Leigh 15 270 250 20 11
Castleford 16 246 435 -189 9
Hull FC 16 218 496 -278 4
LondonB 16 156 615 -459 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 14 520 154 366 28
Sheffield 14 382 217 165 22
Bradford 14 353 230 123 19
Toulouse 13 344 186 158 17
Widnes 14 327 269 58 15
Featherstone 14 396 283 113 14

Doncaster 14 257 341 -84 13
York 15 339 305 34 12
Batley 14 217 320 -103 12
Swinton 14 284 344 -60 10