JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain Build Bridges NOT Walls:1271.jpg

Quote: melly88 "With Salford winning big and us losing big I feel helps us in a strange way. Salford could naturally see this as an easy day at the office and understandably.... Us on the other hand surely can't perform that bad 2 weeks in a row!

I will go for us by 4 points... It will go to the wire! That is the only hope, imo.

Are they going to feel the pressure is off and just come and enjoy themselves - or even better go back to the infighting which has blighted their whole season? Let's hope the doctor tries to impose some more unwanted solutions and takes their minds off the game.....

RankPostsTeam
International Star1055No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2016Nov 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68562_1393714023.jpg
Everywhere We Go:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68562.jpg

I don't think Leigh are necessarily going backwards, but I do feel the last two games have been a bit of reality check for them. They've had a brilliant campaign in the league this season and naturally, a team looks better when they're scoring 60 points every week. Some of their fans have gone into the Super 8s believing that top 3 is very achievable and that top 5 is a certainty. It's not really worked out that way. They were comfortably beating Hull KR and poor tactics cost them, though Rovers were much improved in the second half. I didn't watch the Salford v Leigh match, but I imagine it played out similar to our match against Wakefield; the score-lines were almost identical.

It's the same for ourselves. We looked good in the Sheffield match and I went into the Wakefield match thinking we could get a result. A win against Wakefield and I think top 3 could have been possible. But we just didn't turn up on the day. Their ruck speed and their aggression in the pack killed us in the first 10 minutes, and we gave Tim Smith far too much time on the ball. Whether that was down to poor tactics, or whether we were shell-shocked from the way Wakefield started, I don't know. If there was one thing we couldn't handle, it was the speed at which Wakefield were playing. The step up in ruck speed and energy compared to the first 23 rounds of the season was evident, and we were 30-0 down before we knew what was happening.

Against Salford, our only hope is that they go into the game over-confident and relaxed, and that we come out the blocks fired up, which I think we will. I think whatever happens, Salford will ultimately have too much quality and will run away with the game in the last 20 minutes or so, like Hull KR did to us in the Challenge Cup. With Leigh being at home against Wakefield, they might be able to sneak a result. If they do, and we lose to Salford, our chances are looking grim.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

Quote: BullCharge "...But we just didn't turn up on the day. Their ruck speed and their aggression in the pack killed us in the first 10 minutes, and we gave Tim Smith far too much time on the ball. Whether that was down to poor tactics, or whether we were shell-shocked from the way Wakefield started, I don't know. If there was one thing we couldn't handle, it was the speed at which Wakefield were playing. The step up in ruck speed and energy compared to the first 23 rounds of the season was evident, and we were 30-0 down before we knew what was happening.
.'"

I finally made myself watch the first half again, and this just confirms my impression that it was nothing much to do with any great Wakey ruck speed at all. Wakey played good but not great, the overwhelmingly biggest issue was that we came out for whatever reason not ready to do the work. They played with urgency and determination, but we stood about. Our defence has developed into a pretty good unit in the second half of the regular season for the most part, but against Wakey, all that was forgotten and critically we showed no great desire to get the man halted and on the ground. I am talking about our pack. It may as well not have been on the field.

It was certainly a case of the Bulls being slow, lazy, lethargic and disorganised. We allowed them to play. We should have been in their faces and aggressive and we simply weren't. Our pack was simply overrun, and it shouldn't have been, but if you won't make the effort to muscle up and hit them, instead stand back and watch, then you'll see exactly what we saw. Against anybody.

Do the same as me and watch it again. It looks as if we were playing to a new rule not to get within 20 metres of Tim Smith. It is dire.

I simply don't understand how we could have descended to that mode.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5874No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13517.jpg
:13517.jpg

Leigh have lost their opening two games but they have hardly laid down and died, or 'peaked too soon'. They should have beaten Rovers were it not for some dumb plays in their own 20 and some dumb props conceding back to back penalties.
Then against Salford they had at least 3 tries disallowed that could very well have been awarded had a video ref been available. The final scoreline at Salford flattered the home side somewhat imo.

Rowley will get his side fired up on Saturday and they will have a good go. I think a lot swings on what Wakefield side turns up - if they can keep their completion rate and error count at the same levels they were against us then it may well be too much for Leigh again, but a few quick Leigh scores could put the cat well and truly amongst the pigeons.

I am really torn as to who I want to win that game on Saturday. Obviously for our own personal chances of promotion, we need Wakey to win. But part of me would also like to see a championship side gain promotion this year at Wakefield's expense, and if it's not us then I'd like Leigh to get a shot in SL.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1011No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The annoying thing about Saturday is I still believe we have a very handy team that are capable of beating a lower SL team.
I also don't see Wakey as a good team. I go through their players and there are many that I wouldn't be impressed if we had signed them. Would we have been whooping with joy if we had signed Lee Smith?

No, we are not a bad team but we are a team who are playing very poor rugby and have been for most of the season apart from the occasional 20 minutes which has papered over the cracks.
I would still go back to Wakey in that £1m game - with a full team and feel that we do have a real chance if Jimmy could do what he is paid to do - Bloody get all 17 players up for it - just for once!

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5594
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6329_1327085433.jpg
...Diagnosing SBD (Sporting Bipolar Disorder) since 2003... Negs bringing down the tone of your forum? Keyboard Bell-endery tiresome? Embarrassed by some of your own fans? Then you need... TheButcher I must be STOPPED!! Vice Chairman of The Scarlet Turkey Clique Grand Wizard Shill of Nibiru Prime & Dark Globe Champion Chairman of 'The Neil Barker School for gifted Clowns' "A Local Forum. For Local People":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6329.jpg

I haven't seen much of your boys this season, so I wont comment on anything Bradford. From a Salford point of view, we're pretty strong at the moment having pretty much a full strength squad to choose from for the first time in the entire season. Importantly, since Sheens came in to help out Watson and Gleeson and Harris disappeared, the team's belief and comradery returned. We were inconsistent for most of the season, not helped by injuries and lengthy suspensions to key players. Our destruction of Leigh was primarily down to dominating their pack, tiring them out, and exploiting weak defensive structure, especially out wide. Chase masterminded pretty much everything, with Dobson performing the right hand man work very well. How you handle Chase will be key to how well you perform. Leigh and Wakefield had no answer on that score. I don't think Salford will take you guys lightly for the reason that our last two fixtures are away to SL opposition, and it would be nice for us to have a buffer rather than rely on getting results away to SL opposition.

it's still one game though, and any game is winnable on the day. Could be interesting.

RankPostsTeam
International Star261No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2019Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
71657_1389362375.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_71657.jpg

Looking back at the match I am sure our forwards will see that they were beaten by a more convincing pack. They should be angry with themselves that they were shown up as much less than their opponents. We have seen SL sides starting incredibly quick this season and got results from it. The pack are going to have to be like enforcers, get respected and force them to doubt.

Defensively we have to be quicker and switched on for the full eighty. It comes down to each player getting fired up and believing in themselves as quality athletes. This is not a poor team just a team that has to step up mentally.

Chase is terrific give him too much space and it will difficult. Clearly I am one of the outsiders who prefer Seika and Henry....

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31686
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

We'll play better but still get well beaten. I think our pack is lacking power. We're two decent props and two decent backrowers short of SL standard.

While Sidlow and Clough are ok neither Crossley or Lauaki are fit enough or mobile enough. Ferguson is good enough in the backrow. Pitts is ok and tackles like a demon but is a bit lighweight. Olbison has improved a lot but looked outgunned versus Wakefield - too small.

Addy for me is not SL quality. He's too small and doesn't hit hard enough in defence for backrow. He has good core skills but isn't quick enough for halfback. He would've been a decent loose forward in the 1970s or 80s.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1934No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Sidlows been poor most of the year in my view. Lots of minutes, little impact. Cough was awful on Saturday but has been our best prop.

I don't understand the signing of Crossley at all.

RankPostsTeam
International Star21402
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62021_1514912988.png
[img:12j4q57k]https://i.imgur.com/ayH2ksC.jpg[/img:12j4q57k]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62021.png

Quote: Nothus "Leigh have lost their opening two games but they have hardly laid down and died, or 'peaked too soon'. They should have beaten Rovers were it not for some dumb plays in their own 20 and some dumb props conceding back to back penalties.
Then against Salford they had at least 3 tries disallowed that could very well have been awarded had a video ref been available. The final scoreline at Salford flattered the home side somewhat imo.

Rowley will get his side fired up on Saturday and they will have a good go. I think a lot swings on what Wakefield side turns up - if they can keep their completion rate and error count at the same levels they were against us then it may well be too much for Leigh again, but a few quick Leigh scores could put the cat well and truly amongst the pigeons.

I am really torn as to who I want to win that game on Saturday. Obviously for our own personal chances of promotion, we need Wakey to win. But part of me would also like to see a championship side gain promotion this year at Wakefield's expense, and if it's not us then I'd like Leigh to get a shot in SL.'"

Great post that Nothus. eusa_clap.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9030No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13462.gif
:13462.gif

Realistically I can't see how we can win this match. I certainly hope we don't throw a patched up Gaskell into this match if he isn't 100%.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7058No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
59880_1480501182.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_59880.jpg

Quote: Bullseye "We'll play better but still get well beaten. I think our pack is lacking power. We're two decent props and two decent backrowers short of SL standard.

While Sidlow and Clough are ok neither Crossley or Lauaki are fit enough or mobile enough. Ferguson is good enough in the backrow. Pitts is ok and tackles like a demon but is a bit lighweight. Olbison has improved a lot but looked outgunned versus Wakefield - too small.

Addy for me is not SL quality. He's too small and doesn't hit hard enough in defence for backrow. He has good core skills but isn't quick enough for halfback. He would've been a decent loose forward in the 1970s or 80s.'"

I think we're OK in the back row. Agreed we're two big aggressive props short. I know Lowes has taken a big of a bagging recently, but another mistake he made throughout the season was not rotating. Not just to keep players fresh, but to give others game time so there is competition. Now we're in a situation where our pack got dominated, and we only have one prop we can bring in. So the players know they're unlikely to be dropped. There won't be any pressure on them from fringe players during training etc. It's a ridiculous situation to be in.

For me recruitment for next year is two HB's and two big aggressive props. Wholesale changes never work.

I'd also like to see Walshaw and Mellor brought in for Sunday. Plenty of size there.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3213
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68505_1605979550.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68505.jpg

I think a lot of the issue with the Wakey game was something that's been evident all year. Our pre-match prep is just not up to scratch. Lowes seems capable enough of getting the team fired up for the 2nd half, but we keep going out in the first half half-cocked. Now against the teams we've faced all year, it's not been an issue as we've been able, in most cases, to do enough work combined with superior fitness levels to grind out the opposition and get the win.
That sort of thinking isn't gonna fly against SL teams. You give them space and time and they'll bend you like Einstien. Even the poorest team in SL this year were able to out muscle and out perform us and by the time Lowes has managed to kick some backsides they were too far out of reach. If we don't go up this year, then I really think Lowes needs to be shown the door as I'm not sure he's got the needed skills to win promotion through the current system.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

Lowes is a rookie coach though and we don't know if he will learn from what has happened this season or if so, how much. If he recognises how things could have been significantly better and is capable of correcting those things then he COULD be a much better coach next season. We simply can't say.

What I can say is that a coach rarely stands still. A clever coach would learn the season's lessons, digest and make the necessary changes. And do better. A poor coach will either not make the right changes, or fail to see the problems in the first place, but in that situation the 2016 team would be worse.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1011No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

We still need to pay Franny off.
I can't see how we would also pay Jimmy off.
If I was Jimmy I would expect my contract to be honoured. Jimmy didn't appoint himself it was the club that asked him so they should give him the two years he signed.
It may not all be down to Jimmy. Ferres will also need to lift his game a notch or two. No more fillers that we don't play and send out to other clubs. Drop the numbers to around 26. Bring in one top SH. I would keep Seijka as back-up and see what he can do when fully fit. How can we lose Crossley when he has another season?
Look at the two props Leeds recently brought in. That is what we need but how could we persuade two to come to us unless we offer quite a few ££££££s.
The signings and released players in the coming months will determine how much chance we have next year in the CH or in SL.

169 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
169 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.783203125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
2m
Round 16 London Home
Emagdnim13
2m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
22m
TV Games - Not Hull
WIZEB
37m
Other Championship Clubs
REDWHITEANDB
45m
Planning for next season
LeythIg
Recent
Batley Bulldogs H
Trojan Horse
Recent
Salford - Away
The games af
Recent
Leeds
the-bearded-
Recent
WHO IS NEXT
ArthurClues
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
WIZEB
43s
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
The Yellow G
1m
Jayden Okunbor
bonaire
1m
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
1m
Olly Russell 4 year deal
newgroundb4w
2m
TV games not Wire
karetaker
2m
Accountability
Gazzagiant2
2m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
KaeruJim
3m
Batley next
Start@1873
3m
This site is crap
tad rhino
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Accountability
Gazzagiant2
TODAY
email
orangeman
TODAY
This site is crap
tad rhino
TODAY
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win Over the Broncos
RLFANS News
TODAY
Prettys Girls in your city for night
jackmac452
TODAY
Vegas Baby
Jason65
TODAY
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thriller
RLFANS News
TODAY
Reserves
BigTime
TODAY
Tonights game v Giants
karetaker
TODAY
Free parking
Philth
TODAY
Salford Away Travel Information
LancashireRe
TODAY
Batley next
Start@1873
TODAY
Round 16 London Home
Emagdnim13
TODAY
Leeds
the-bearded-
TODAY
Injuries and available cover
walter wall
TODAY
Problems with this Site continued
karetaker
TODAY
3 clubs apply to join League 1
Huddersfield
TODAY
Sadly one less Bronco
nkpom
TODAY
Fan Village
[Gareth]
TODAY
The Seagulls v The Panthers
terry silver
TODAY
Las Vegas 2025 English ladies involved
Huddersfield
TODAY
New halfback signing
Pyrah123
TODAY
Batley Bulldogs H
Trojan Horse
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
Hull KR Drop Goal Secures Win ..
St Helens Break Fifty As They ..
Leigh Leopards Resurgence Clai..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M +13,141 ↓-2880,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R18
 FT
Hover 
Canterbury
13-12
NZ Warriors
 FT
Hover 
Wests
28-40
Melbourne
 FT
Hover 
NQL Cowboys
20-22
Manly
     Womens Super League 2024-R7
 FT 
LeedsW
6-16
St.HelensW
 FT 
FeatherstoneW
0-50
WiganW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R16
 FT 
Leeds
17-16
LondonB
       Championship 2024-R14
17:00
Toulouse
v
Bradford
17:30
Hull KR
v
Catalans
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R18
05:00
Sydney
v
St.George
07:05
Canberra
v
Newcastle
     Womens Super League 2024-R7
12:00
Wire W
v
Hudds W
12:00
York V
v
BarrowW
       League One 2024-R14
14:00
Newcastle
v
Workington
14:30
Crusaders
v
Midlands
15:00
Salford
v
Hull FC
       Championship 2024-R14
Dewsbury
v
Doncaster
Featherstone
v
Whitehaven
Swinton
v
Widnes
Wakefield
v
Batley
York
v
Barrow
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 6th Jul
SL
Hull KR-Catalans
SL
Leeds17-16LondonB
Sun 7th Jul
SL
Salford-Hull FC
Fri 12th Jul
SL
20:00
LondonB-Castleford
SL
Warrington-Leeds
SL
Warrington-St.Helens
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
00:00
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 6th Jul
NRL
LIVE
Canterbury13-12NZ Warriors
NRL
LIVE
Wests28-40Melbourne
NRL
LIVE
NQL Cowboys20-22Manly
SL
LIVE
Leeds17-16LondonB
WSL2024
LIVE
LeedsW6-16St.HelensW
WSL2024
LIVE
FeatherstoneW0-50WiganW
Fri 5th Jul
NRL 18 Cronulla16-20Gold Coast
NRL 18 Brisbane6-14Penrith
SL 16 St.Helens6-8Castleford
SL 16 Warrington48-0Huddersfield
SL 16 Wigan24-6Leigh
CH 14 Sheffield28-0Halifax
Thu 4th Jul
NRL 18 Parramatta16-32Souths
Sun 30th Jun
CH 13 Barrow0-36Wakefield
CH 13 Dewsbury12-38Bradford
CH 13 Halifax38-18Whitehaven
CH 13 Widnes16-24Batley
CH 13 York10-18Sheffield
L1 13 Cornwall10-16Crusaders
L1 13 Newcastle10-44Midlands
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 15 427 170 257 26
St.Helens 16 429 170 259 22
Warrington 16 406 213 193 22
Hull KR 15 383 201 182 22
Salford 15 295 288 7 20
Catalans 15 288 220 68 18

Leeds 16 291 286 5 18
Huddersfield 16 298 365 -67 12
Leigh 15 270 250 20 11
Castleford 16 246 435 -189 9
Hull FC 15 198 474 -276 4
LondonB 16 156 615 -459 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 13 486 142 344 26
Sheffield 14 382 217 165 22
Bradford 13 341 218 123 18
Toulouse 12 332 174 158 16
Widnes 13 315 245 70 15
Featherstone 13 330 283 47 12

Batley 13 205 286 -81 12
Doncaster 13 237 325 -88 11
York 14 285 293 -8 10
Whitehaven 13 266 358 -92 10