JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
14782.jpg
The views in this post are mine and mine alone. Unless stated otherwise, they do not reflect the views of any company or entity I am associated with.:14782.jpg

One thing that does occur to me.

If McNamara thinks all our players aren't good enough to play for England, why the f*ck did he sign them for Bradford in the first place? I appreciate you can't always sign internationals, but the fact he doesn't think that ONE of the squad he signed is good enough really makes you wonder.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1992No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34183_1277913198.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34183.jpg

Quote: DILLIGAF "Best team I can pick out of that

Ryan Hall simply has to play. Best winger we have by some distance. Size, pace, strength and big game experience.

F*ck Lunt off. Simply play Roby for the 80, he's upto it and the "impact" hooker doesn't work at International level, the opposition forwards are too savvy and well rotated. The impact hooker works in SL because of the relative weakness of many benches given the Salary Cap restrictions.

My team:

Widdop
Briscoe
Shenton
Atkins
Hall
O'Loughlin
Tomkins
Moz
Roby
Graham
Ellis
Westwood
Burgess

Fielden
Harrison
Crabtree
Tomkins (and I'm yet to be convinced)

Either way, that side is troubling nobody.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner8224No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2012Sep 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7741_1339451243.jpg
When you're a Bradford fan there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately it's usually an oncoming train:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7741.jpg

Quote: Gurus_Beard "Yup, all shoe in's.

And of course we forget the captain, Jamie Peacock.

The Aussies have plenty of injuries, yet have depth right across the comp....because they clearly value producing homegrown players. Maybe the penny will drop over here in ten years.'"

I don't think the aussies depth is due in any way to them valuing home grown players. It's to do with the fact that in the areas of Aus where RL is popular, it IS the dominant sport, in much the same way that football is in the UK. So this leads to a much larger player pool. The population of the Aus where RL is at it's strongest doesn't have a vastly different number of people living there than the combination of Yorks, Lancs and Cumbria. But, because they don't have to deal with a financial behemouth like the Premier League, the NRL is able to attract the top young athletes in the area.

McNamara and his England side may very well take a kicking, but that's what happens when you put a team with 2 world class players up against teams with 17 world class players, with reserves trying to push their way into the starting 17.

And I believe he did say he was looking to take the best "team" rather than the best players

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach9088No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13462.gif
:13462.gif

Quote: DILLIGAF "He's the one picking them to be fair, so deserves a fair chunk of either credit or flak depending on how it goes.'"

He is, but the pool of talent to pick from just isn't there. I'm struggling to pick a different squad which I think would result in a different set of results over there. I suppose at least we have a ready made scapegoat though.

RankPostsTeam
International Star13No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2010Dec 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

He really doesn't have a clue, thank god we don't have to put up with him anymore at Bradford, just a shame he will now set back the England team by several years.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1992No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34183_1277913198.jpg

Quote: Roofaldo "I don't think the aussies depth is due in any way to them valuing home grown players. It's to do with the fact that in the areas of Aus where RL is popular, it IS the dominant sport, in much the same way that football is in the UK. So this leads to a much larger player pool. The population of the SW Aus where RL is at it's strongest doesn't have a vastly different number of people living there than the combination of Yorks, Lancs and Cumbria. But, because they don't have to deal with a financial behemouth like the Premier League, the NRL is able to attract the top young athletes in the area.'"

Without doubt elements of truth and logic there.

My point being is we have a large pool of "talent" right down to grassroots level but the obsession with anything antipodean being allowed to play for all our SL sides is a major hamstring in our international development, or lack of. Outstanding overseas players always benefit the comp. The concern is those "average" players getting in, again into nigh on every team. But then that goes back to the age old SL v Int debate. Ho hum.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
14782.jpg
The views in this post are mine and mine alone. Unless stated otherwise, they do not reflect the views of any company or entity I am associated with.:14782.jpg

Quote: Bully_Boxer "He is, but the pool of talent to pick from just isn't there. I'm struggling to pick a different squad which I think would result in a different set of results over there. I suppose at least we have a ready made scapegoat though.'"

While he doesn't have a great pool to pick from, there are better options than the likes of Robinson & Lunt. Sinfield & Burrow would definitely be improvements as halves than Robinson. As far as hookers go, while we have no top class ones any more, the likes of Clarke, Moore, Diskin & Higham are surely better options than Lunt!

No doubt we would rather have the likes of Kyle Eastmond out there, who is probably first choice No.7, and that's out of his hands. But a couple of those choices and a couple of omissions are just nuts.

In fact, the top 3 in that squad that I can't believe are in there, are all from the Giants. Not sure what to make of that (although no doubt their fans will believe the whole RL Community are biased against them for sharing a similar opinion).

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach9088No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13462.gif

Quote: DILLIGAF "While he doesn't have a great pool to pick from, there are better options than the likes of Robinson & Lunt. Sinfield & Burrow would definitely be improvements as halves than Robinson. As far as hookers go, while we have no top class ones any more, the likes of Clarke, Moore, Diskin & Higham are surely better options than Lunt!

No doubt we would rather have the likes of Kyle Eastmond out there, who is probably first choice No.7, and that's out of his hands. But a couple of those choices and a couple of omissions are just nuts.

In fact, the top 3 in that squad that I can't believe are in there, are all from the Giants. Not sure what to make of that (although no doubt their fans will believe the whole RL Community are biased against them for sharing a similar opinion).'"

Sinfield withdrew through injury. Burrow has had his opportunity and has done little at International level. Perhaps the hookers could have been different but I don't think there is a huge difference in quality between any of them. Perhaps he chose Lunt because he was going to go with Robinson at 7.

I'm not sure I'd have picked Griffin either but by the same token, the replacements are of a similar quality IMO.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
14782.jpg

Quote: Bully_Boxer "Sinfield withdrew through injury'"

I wasn't aware of that one, but that explains the most surprising name missing from the squad. That's actually good to know, as if he'd simply left him out it would be more amazing.

We'll agree to disagree on the others. I personally think other options are far better than Robinson & Lunt, and there are a couple above Griffin too.

Two big positives for me though are Fielden deservedly getting back in, and Richie Myler being left out.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
14782.jpg

Oh I hadn't even noticed Tony Clubb. Another massively overrated player. Always seems to have plenty of potential, never seems to show it.

I suppose putting a Londoner in there keeps the Southern lot and Journos interested though eh?

RankPostsTeam
International Star319No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51435_1276261580.png
Resistance is futile.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51435.png

Completely agree. I look at the squad with a certain amount of trepidation but I suppose we (again) have to give him the benefit of the doubt until we crash out of the tournement in fourth place...!

However, when you look at the team, I suppose you have to take into account the fact that we're not working to the full salary cap this year and... oh... hang on...

There doesn't seem to be much international experience in the backs... I suppose he's been brought in to bring the younger players through and his legecy will be seen in years to come... I'm sure I've heard that before as well.

If, as has been suggested, this is the worst team to leave these shores (nothing like being positive! They'll probably go and win it now) is that a damnation on Macca or the players who he has available? A sign of the way this season has gone is the fact the the Rhino's have only one player representing them.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach9088No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13462.gif

Everyone will come up with a different squad if they were asked to name one. Obviously McNamara will have more facts to hand to base his selections on. Who is carry injuries etc, who coped or didn't cope with the last tour. Huddersfield were in good form at the back end of the year which probably played a part in his thinking.

I don't agree with all the selections but at the same time there could be some reasons for those selections that I'm not aware of. I don't think the changes I would make in my imaginary team would make a significant difference to our chances though!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12310
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28396_1358365565.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28396.jpg

Does anyone apart from McNamara rate Griffin above the likes of Lynch, Scruton, Carvell, Coley or even Bailey?

The best I can pick from a bad bunch :

Widdop
Briscoe
Shenton
Atkins
Hall
Brown
Tomkins
Graham
Robinson
Morley
Ellis
Westwood
Burgess

Roby
Fielden
Harrison
J tomkins

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1332No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2024Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: DILLIGAF "One thing that does occur to me.

If McNamara thinks all our players aren't good enough to play for England, why the f*ck did he sign them for Bradford in the first place? I appreciate you can't always sign internationals, but the fact he doesn't think that ONE of the squad he signed is good enough really makes you wonder.'"

Maybe he is being biased... let's face it we've been down to the bare bones at times this year and every player on more than one leg has had to do shed loads of work. So, he's doing us a favour in letting our guys have a rest!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1992No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34183_1277913198.jpg

Quote: Ewwenorfolk " or even Bailey?'"

Good call.

Would certainly bring some animal to the side and upset the oppo.

Probably upset James Graham more though...

110 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
110 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.03125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Staying or Not
Les Norton
14m
New Players
Deadcowboys1
25m