FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Bradford Bulls > Is there anyone on here who ?
167 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member16239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1776_1294872033.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1776.jpg

Quote: af "The question is, what to do about it? Make the head coach carry the can is the obvious answer and not necessarily the wrong one. I just don't have any confidence that it won't prove to be counter-productive. In the mean time, the long term plan goes out of the window for... what? A new long term plan? Another five years? Or do we keep chopping coaches who can't get the job done inside three?'"

The long term plan is the long term plan for the club, not a particular coach.

Yes McNamara has obviously played a role in it, now that the people who run the club have realised the importance of having a good youth development structure and setup, but it is something that has to be in place irrespective of who the current first team coach is. We can't just stick with someone who isn't doing a very good job of coaching the first team because he happened to be in the post when we started working towards getting the structures back in place.

Leeds and Saints have both had numerous coaching changes in the last few years, but their kids keep coming through, it isn't linked and the idea of it all falling down because the first team coach doesn't make any sense unless, as I suggested a few weeks ago, he is funding it all himself!

We have appointed a number of youth scouts and coaches over the last couple of years who are there to look after this, let them got on with it and hopefully the first team and the club will reap the rewards, not a specific employee.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach8877No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/combustable.gif
Red Amber and Black Fantasy Rugby League Champion 2012. By far the most sensible posts on this thread have come from mystic eddie. - copyright Ewwenorfolk 09.04.2013 Aye, and Eddie is hinting at it too. And, as we all know: Mystic Eddie has been right all along! - copyright vbfg 05.01.2017:Others/combustable.gif

Quote: af "
I just don't have any confidence that it won't prove to be counter-productive. In the mean time, the long term plan goes out of the window for... what? A new long term plan? Another five years? Or do we keep chopping coaches who can't get the job done inside three?

'"

Still beating the same drum?

At first I considered this to be a curious argument, now I find it downright bemusing. The club is going backwards under McNamara and even if these future stars make it as top RL players then they will no doubt want to leave us to play at a higher level.

Anyway, given McNamara's record with established players, what on earth is there to suggest that he can make stars out of young kids?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14145No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45.jpg

Quote: af "These are not rhetorical questions. They are very real ones that the club will have to face if it takes the action that pretty much everyone on here save me, Duckman and I think FA (feel free to clarify, folks) want them to take. I think the chances of us happening on another Brian Smith to turn the club around are pretty remote. I suspect we're more likely to end up with another Ron Willey. Maybe I was part of the Negative Tendency all along.'"

OK, as requested, to clarifyBut, there is clearly something very very wrong with this team. I don't think a single poster on here could deny that (even Tiger Beer (and there may well be good reasons why this has to be so) it is inevitable that the finger will point to the coaching staff for at least part of the blame.

With that in mind, I would be ecstatic if the club could secure the services of an experienced, proven and TOUGH coach to come and try and sort out the shambles we see on the field, for the time being at least. Maybe taking some of the load of Macca at least for now. I suspect that with the necessary very lean structure at the club nowdays, Macca has too many responsibilities. I SUSPECT he is not tough enough with the players - and he certainly seems reluctant to drop under-performers - but maybe there are reasons why he can't be? Maybe we have more injuries than we are admitting to (like in 199icon_cool.gif? Maybe Macca IS out of his depth? Maybe we all know jack shît about what really goes on...?

And its all very well for folk to argue that the Bulls must be an attractive proposition to any prospective experienced coach, but why? No sugar daddy; no spare funds (and very tight on what we have); no new stadium (yet) and a track record of failed schemes; major player turnover before next season, much of which will finalise before any new guy can get his hands on things so it could be a couple of years before he can say its "his" squad; ongoing emnity with the Leeds club; collapsing fan base - if you choose to list all the negatives and pass by any positives then its hardly attractive, is it?

Why would an experienced guy risk his reputation and set himself up for a load of grief by coming here? For the challenge? Maybe, but he still has to feed his family. For the money, then? That would be the money we are rather short of then, especially with collapsing gates and any settlement to incumbent staff. Not that the economic realities cut much ice with many people angry with the situation - and, lets be fair, understandably so.

And please don't expect Macca to just walk without any compo - he has HIS family to feed in a very very uncertain profession. He won't have the luxury of just chucking his job in - and I challenge pretty well anyone on here to say they would do differently?

But remember please what Hood said at the Fans' Forum, in response to (my) question about the financial implications of falling gates - not worried about the profitability, but more worried about the cash flow. You don't go bust because you are not making profits; you go bust because you run out of cash. This board inherited a dreadful cash prognosis, and the history books will record how they saved the club and (hopefully) set it on a more sustainable (if unpalatable) financial footing - in my opinion. But all the options I see on here involve expending cash we don't have before we see corresponding cash inflows. How will that work, then?

Can folk on here explain how, as a household, they would find a way of spending a load of cash up front if they had no savings and no appreciable overdraft or other borrowing facilities? Cos that's what you are asking of the club. Anyone got an answer to that? There IS a way, of course - you sell some family silver or cut your expenditure even more - in this case, expenditure on players. It wouldn't be the first time. But what would folk say if or when we saw best players being sold and cheaper replacements? We had a "selling club" thread recently, did we not? Or, of course, you come into an inheritance from a rich relative. Which is basically what happened at clubs like Saints, Wire, Wigan, Hudds, Salford...but where are OUR rich rellies?

Regulars know I have been pedalling this argument for ages. Some, like one unpleasant guy recently, choose to accuse me of forcing my views on others as being the only acceptable view. That's nonsense - if you don't like what I say, don't read it - or better, improve on what I say with better arguments - that stand up financially as well as operationally. I hope there are better arguments, I really do, cos the conclusions I reach from my own arguments thoroughly depress me. I'm desperately hoping some of you guys do have some practicable answers or, more to the point, that the club does. Cos, short of a rich benefactor chucking a load of cash in, or some miraculous improvement on the park, I don't.

But I stress - it is very hard to comment objectively without knowing what is really going on behind the scenes - which I suspect is as always rather more than we are aware of.

But hey, what do I know and what do any of us know?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach4525
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024May 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13619.gif
:13619.gif

Great post Adeybull. But we've all continued to go along and pay our money for the last two seasons and seen standards drop. Eventually the Board must recognise that this is not going to continue. If there is a long term plan then the supporters should be let in on it along with milestones. Otherwise, to paraphrase a certain film, when other loyal supporters ask 'What is to become of the club?' the answer will be a loud 'Frankly, I don't give a damn'.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach280No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2018Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18692_1265469773.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18692.jpg

Quote: Adeybull "OK, as requested, etc....'"

eusa_clap.gif

The single most articulate, balanced, all-encompassing and yet concise post on this issue.

(I particularly think the all too real issue of people including Macca needing to earn to exit is a very good one - maybe a few people on here are too indoctrinated in a football world where top players and coaches earn as much in 2 months as many of us earn in a career and can afford to quit easily on points of principle.)

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member997No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2021Aug 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Unless the Club wants to keep the Fans informed the Fans will speculate. It's not for us to come up with answers, that's what the Club pays the Coaching Staff to do. Unfortunatly the Coaching Staff seem devoid of answers despite 2-3 years of learning lessons whilst getting worse. An losing quality Players is the only thing we seem to be any good at. Should the Fans say nothing? Just turn up every week and accept the poor and pathetic performances and excuses?
We pay our money and have a right to speak our minds and vent our anger. How bad have things got when Season ticket holders are seriously considering having a barbeque, party, day out, whatever instead of turning up for a match they have already paid for?

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg

Quote: Spannerz "Unless the Club wants to keep the Fans informed the Fans will speculate. It's not for us to come up with answers, that's what the Club pays the Coaching Staff to do. Unfortunatly the Coaching Staff seem devoid of answers despite 2-3 years of learning lessons whilst getting worse. An losing quality Players is the only thing we seem to be any good at. Should the Fans say nothing? Just turn up every week and accept the poor and pathetic performances and excuses?
We pay our money and have a right to speak our minds and vent our anger. How bad have things got when Season ticket holders are seriously considering having a barbeque, party, day out, whatever instead of turning up for a match they have already paid for?'"

Quote: Spannerz "But we've all continued to go along and pay our money for the last two seasons and seen standards drop. Eventually the Board must recognise that this is not going to continue. If there is a long term plan then the supporters should be let in on it along with milestones. Otherwise, to paraphrase a certain film, when other loyal supporters ask 'What is to become of the club?' the answer will be a loud 'Frankly, I don't give a damn'.'"

As a fan, hard to argue with any of that. I made the point about a bit more honesty with the fans (as I have done before), and I'm sure you can see from what I said that I am not in any way condoning the current debacle of a position. Of course fans are expected to want to vent their anger - I am no exception in wanting to find someone responsible to bray hell out of. Except, worryingly and like more and more on here, I'm finding I'm just increasingly numb to it all. Both of your last sentences are highly pertinent.

But my point is...what if there ARE no quick-fix answers that the club can realistically afford? All the anger in the world is not then going to fix the problem. What then? That is my real concern. There must BE solutions, but I struggle to that see bringing in an expensive replacement coach is amongst the practicable ones - even if in an ideal world its the one most people now seem to believe is the only solution. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic and we WILL see a new man soon. Or maybe its Catch 22. Only the club can know the answer to that, and they ain't telling.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15035
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
21910.gif
[u:b26ka63j][size=150:b26ka63j][color=black:b26ka63j][b:b26ka63j]I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying. [/b:b26ka63j][/color:b26ka63j][/size:b26ka63j][/u:b26ka63j] [size=117:b26ka63j]Michael Jordan[/size:b26ka63j]:21910.gif

Adey I've made the point before and I'll make it again. Granted the club may not be able to afford to sack McNamara but the way things are going it will get to the stage tat we simply can't afford not too. The declining drop in gates should be worry enough but what sort have impact is this season going to have on season ticket sales I dread to think. IMO the only way to reengage the general attention of the AN Other fan is too replace the coach this would show that the club has still ambition.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2021Aug 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

If the Club wants to keep the Fans happy they need to make some changes. Some transparency and honesty would go a long way. Why the reluctance to announce new signings? Other clubs don't have a problem making the announcements early. Announcing all the leavers and waiting until after the season ticket deadlines are over to announce players does nothing to inspire confidence in the Fans.
Maybe the Club should have Fans forums on a more regular basis? One thing's for sure announcing any increase in season ticket prices without offering substantial signings and changes is not going to do improve matters and that is what I think we may be looking at.
I would also really like to see some consequences for all under-performing players, yes Platty is having a run in the reserves but there are more than him taking money under false pretences. If they can't play for pride you'd think winning bonuses would inspire them ( I remember Graham Bradley making some similar statement when asked what inspired a win from a losing position) We have some promising youngsters, let a few of them play each week until the end of the season and not 3 minutes at the end of a losing game.
If all else fails I suggest we have a competition to see who can provide the best in game entertainment. My first suggestion is we all bring Beach Balls to amuse the sleeping masses. Quite a few years ago I did suggest we had a beach party, sand, parasols, barbeques, loud shirts and white legs. The Club seems to have forgotten how to do stuff like this. We used to be inovators as well as a good Team.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg

Quote: Spannerz "...some sound and well-considered points'"

If only we could change some of the existing player contracts to make them more performance-related, eh?

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg

Quote: redeverready "Adey I've made the point before and I'll make it again. Granted the club may not be able to afford to sack McNamara but the way things are going it will get to the stage tat we simply can't afford not too. The declining drop in gates should be worry enough but what sort have impact is this season going to have on season ticket sales I dread to think. IMO the only way to reengage the general attention of the AN Other fan is too replace the coach this would show that the club has still ambition.'"

I understand that POV entirely. But you yourself have acknowledged (what may be) the Catch-22: can't afford to do it and can't afford not to. What's the answer? I know you don't know, and I sure don't. Does anyone?

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2021Aug 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Hindsight is a marvelous thing!......icon_wink.gif A lot of things have changed and we as a Club don't seem to have adapted very well...
As a very clever person one wrote "Always look on the bright side of life" Maybe that's one for the Band to try this weekend, and if apt at any time ;
"It's time to play the music
It's time to light the lights
It's time to meet the Muppets on the Muppet Show tonight.

It's time to put on makeup
It's time to dress up right
It's time to raise the curtain on the Muppet Show tonight.

Why do we always come here
I guess we'll never know
It's like a kind of torture
To have to watch the show"

The last one seems very apt right now......Maybe I'm being harsh?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1008No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2015Sep 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20201.jpg
"I'm 49, I've had a brain haemorrhage and a triple bypass and I could still go out and play a reasonable game of rugby union. But I wouldn't last 30 seconds in rugby league." - Graham Lowe (1995):20201.jpg

Quote: Adeybull "I understand that POV entirely. But you yourself have acknowledged (what may be) the Catch-22

Getting a new coach in would at least renew some spark of hope in the future, would generate interest and provide a good reason to renew a season ticket - possibility is a marketable commodity.

As you freely admit we don't know precisely which is the worst option financially, but I would suggest continued poor performance coupled with an unmarketable product next season - 'Come and see us fail again under McNamara', is likely to be of more detriment financially than paying his contract up, or alternatively moving him back to assistant coach, youth development etc on a reduced salary, therefore also securing his capacity to feed his family etc, whilst bringing in someone new. Still costly but worth the punt, particularly if we can get an established coach.

I think the argument that nobody of any calibre would want the post is and always has been completely bogus for reasons repeated ad nauseum across many threads on this forum.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15035
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
21910.gif
[u:b26ka63j][size=150:b26ka63j][color=black:b26ka63j][b:b26ka63j]I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying. [/b:b26ka63j][/color:b26ka63j][/size:b26ka63j][/u:b26ka63j] [size=117:b26ka63j]Michael Jordan[/size:b26ka63j]:21910.gif

Quote: Adeybull "I understand that POV entirely. But you yourself have acknowledged (what may be) the Catch-22But I now believe that need to spend money is far greater because of the dwindling support than what it would cost to replace him.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg

Quote: redeverready "But I now believe that need to spend money is far greater because of the dwindling support than what it would cost to replace him.'"

A view I'm sure most on here now seem to share. But it still fails to answer the Catch-22 question of how could you replace him if you could not afford to? By which I mean you'd have to shell out cash well in advance of the improved income you expect to get, but you may not have much spare cash to shell out cos every penny is accounted for?

Its not trying to be clever - its a deathly serious question. One that many other non-sports businesses have had to contend with, as a result of first the credit crunch and then the resulting deep recession. And many who could not find the cash to take necessary actions fell, and are falling, by the wayside.

167 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
167 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.08203125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Wolves again
Deadcowboys1
Recent
Accounts
the fax in a
FORUM