FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Bradford Bulls > Orford returning..
134 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach329No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Bulliac "I don't know what the club actually [iknows
[/i about Matt's current status, only what they let on, which isn't much, but I would hope some contingency plan is in play, and to be fair I can't seriously imagine there isn't. We'll certainly be very fortunate to pick up a class scrum half at this stage though.'"

That's what I'm relying on and why I am not worrying. I just can't imagine that the club will not have some sort of contingency in place. The mention of the potential of up to 4 more signings that keeps getting mentioned in the T&A would support that. The fact that they aren't being announced yet suggests they are dependant on the Orford situation being resolved.

If we get two recognised half backs who aren't "world beaters" we'll still be better off than what we had for most of last year which was no Orford and non-half backs filling in (i.e. Sykes, Addy, Kearney, L'Estrange).

I'm still hopeful that if Orford goes we'll end up with one class half back and another who is a solid performer and will complement the rest of the signings well.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach5876No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13517.jpg
:13517.jpg

Well if we're basing things on Connor's recent article (which I'm sure has plenty of truth behind it), then it seems like the club are hoping for a hb pairing of Pryce and Hanbury.
But there's obviously a very good chance we'll end up with neither of those players, and I'm not sure what would happen if that was the case.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner8224No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2012Sep 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7741_1339451243.jpg
When you're a Bradford fan there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately it's usually an oncoming train:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7741.jpg

Quote: Bradford Badger "Anyone else thinking we may be on the receiving end of a little Karma?

We had all the hoo-ha around Chris Walker (is he, or is he not coming) [iand if[/i we did shaft Walker (to get Orford) you have to wonder if we're getting a little payback.

I don't think anyone really wants Orford to leave, however, if we can get something for the remainder of his contract (which would be hoped so, given the amount of interest for the guy in the NRL), and obtain a suitable replacement/s then it might not be that bad.

If however he leaves us in the lurch and we don't get replacements it's going to cost us a lot. 8th place will become the target rather than a top 4 one. Any failure on the first target with Orford and we would hopefully still be in the play-offs. If we aim 8th without him and fail, well, the season tickets for the following year would need to be cheaper still!!!!

If Potter knew that Orford was leaving, you'd have hoped we may have signed some higher calibre players than we have (not to say the guys signed won't do well), but you do have to wonder if we'd have managed to obtain some better players by being able to spread Orford's reported "higher level" salary around.

It's all still hearsay, but lets hope that it's sorted soon. Ok, there's plenty of time to go till the start of the new season but at this rate we're bedding two new halfbacks in (again) rather than just one.'"

We did not shaft Walker.

The fact is, we offered him a contract in good faith. The club then got a number of calls from NRL clubs asking if we were aware that Walker's agent was offering him to them. Also, while players like L'Estrange and Hall were in almost constant contact with the club about things like schools for the kids, good places to live, where's the training ground, when do I have to be there for pre-season and the 1001 other things you need to sort out if you're moving yourself and your family to the other side of the world, there was no contact from Walker or his agent. There's then the fact that come 4th November when the team was due to return for pre-season training, Walker had not even APPLIED for a visa to come to Bradford.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31800
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

Very interesting.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain Build Bridges NOT Walls:1271.jpg

Quote: psychostring "That's what I'm relying on and why I am not worrying. I just can't imagine that the club will not have some sort of contingency in place. The mention of the potential of up to 4 more signings that keeps getting mentioned in the T&A would support that. The fact that they aren't being announced yet suggests they are dependant on the Orford situation being resolved.

If we get two recognised half backs who aren't "world beaters" we'll still be better off than what we had for most of last year which was no Orford and non-half backs filling in (i.e. Sykes, Addy, Kearney, L'Estrange).

I'm still hopeful that if Orford goes we'll end up with one class half back and another who is a solid performer and will complement the rest of the signings well.'"

We must hope, I guess. The problem remains though, that all the out of contract halves (of any quality) won't hang around waiting to see what Matt Orford decides to do, even if they want to come to a club which hasn't made the play-offs in two years and, unless we're very very lucky and someone becomes unexpectedly available late on we are going to end up with something less than a top quality scrum half.

For stand off we still have Brett Kearney, though he's not [ireally[/i a halfback. The problem remains though, that halfbacks operate as pairs, and, at best, should complement each other, so without knowing who is scrum half it's difficult to sort out your stand off. So, if Orford goes, at this stage the chances of obtaining a similar quality replacement are slimmer than slim and so are our chances of having a decent pairing for next year. We do have some decent creative players and it's looking like we might be relying on them to fill in again, certainly not the situation we hoped to be in.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31800
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

Looks like Southernwood will be getting plenty of games.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8024No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
36788_1300836245.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_36788.jpg

Quote: Bullseye "Looks like Southernwood will be getting plenty of games.'"

Good news IMO.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7094
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
36131_1571835935.jpg
nosorożce biorą to w dupę:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_36131.jpg

Quote: Mick Gledhill "Good news IMO.'"

Good news if it's Southernwood with a top Stand off but ATM we haven't got one.

Personally if everything gets tied up and the first choice half back pairing is 6. Pryce and 7. Hanbury (as looks likely once all the juggling is finished) with Southernwood and Addy as cover it's better than last year.

Potter by the looks of him isn't afraid to put youngsters in straight off into the places left uncovered without forcing everyone else to play out of position which was one of my biggest complaints about macca.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain Build Bridges NOT Walls:1271.jpg

Quote: Mick Gledhill "Good news IMO.'"

Up to a point Mick but it isn't in his, or our, best interests that he is the main scrum half, and I'm certain the coaching staff wouldn't abuse the kid. It would be totally unfair to dump all that responsibility on a youngster like that.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1337No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Sep 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/MINOTAUR.JPG
Crude and slow Whino, your attack was no better than that of a clumsy child.:Others/MINOTAUR.JPG

Its looking like Orford could be on his way to Parramatta according to the T&A..

www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/s ... _contract/

Hopefully we will negotiate the best deal we can and use the dosh to buy Pryce out of his contract at Saints, and bring in a Scrum Half...From somewhere!
Its looking like Orford could be on his way to Parramatta according to the T&A..

www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/s ... _contract/

Hopefully we will negotiate the best deal we can and use the dosh to buy Pryce out of his contract at Saints, and bring in a Scrum Half...From somewhere!

RankPostsTeam
International Star19No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2011Aug 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

www.1eyedeel.com/
found this whilst trolling, more fuel to add to the Orford bonfire
www.1eyedeel.com/
found this whilst trolling, more fuel to add to the Orford bonfire

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1992No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34183_1277913198.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34183.jpg

1. Is it a train smash if Orford doesn't return?
2. So what if he's homesick, Sydney v Bradford. I would be. Personal happiness isn't about money.
3. The club are playing out their legal role. Logical and expected
4. Orford has never been outstanding. For anyone.
5. The club are making contingency plans to replace. Logical
6. The pious views of some regarding contractual obligations is laughable given our Harris behaviour.
7. Pryce and Hanbury or other connotations mooted is far superior to Orford/Sykes/Kearney.
8. It's abundantly clear that "demanding" release/transfer fees in actuality, doesn't tend to happen. It's merely a face saving issue. Perhaps perceiving it as instead saving nigh on 200k p.a would be the standpoint to adopt.

I don't see it being much more complicated.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg

Quote: Fatrich "www.1eyedeel.com/
found this whilst trolling, more fuel to add to the Orford bonfire'"

Seems a sensible and balanced view to be fair, though I'm not sure just what we can do if Orford simply doesn't turn up for training. As the web site points out most decent players will have contracts sorted by now so the chances of getting a ready made (and equivalent) scrum half are pretty low, unless Parramatta have someone.

I've always said that if someone doesn't want to play there's little to be gained in trying to force him, so I'm not going to change that view now. Orford isn't coming out of this with much credibility though; he's an adult and has signed a contract for three years (and just two years left, so he's not exactly signed his life away, and even if he had there was no gun to his head, AFAIK), IF he'd had the decency to be honest about this and said he couldn't settle before he left to recover from his injury, then it could have been done quite amicably and a replacement could have been arranged months ago, long before all the deals were finalised.

I've really no idea how the law applies in Australia, but I'm guessing he can't play for Parramatta unless he gets clearance from the Bulls, I would also assume that some kind of law about breaking contracts exists in Australia (hopefully a reciprocal one with the UK) which would allow some kind of remedy in law against the Eels and possibly against Orford. Not that I'd particularly expect us to go down that route but it would be a reasonable lever to get some compensation out of the Aussie club, particularly given Orford's behaviour which has left the Bulls in the lurch more than somewhat.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17138No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: Bulliac "I've really no idea how the law applies in Australia, but I'm guessing he can't play for Parramatta unless he gets clearance from the Bulls, I would also assume that some kind of law about breaking contracts exists in Australia (hopefully a reciprocal one with the UK) which would allow some kind of remedy in law against the Eels and possibly against Orford. Not that I'd particularly expect us to go down that route but it would be a reasonable lever to get some compensation out of the Aussie club, particularly given Orford's behaviour which has left the Bulls in the lurch more than somewhat.'"

With regard to compensation, I'm not sure whether this is employment law or law of contract (though I've no doubt someone can confirm). In the contracts that I deal with you can not have penalty clauses, only an amount for a pre-estimate of the loss that would accrue for a breach of the contract (in my case delay of completion). In Orford's case would the Bulls have to demonstrate their possible loss had he not fulfilled his contract, which is obviously difficult?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

Quote: Gurus_Beard "...
6. The pious views of some regarding contractual obligations is laughable given our Harris behaviour.

8. It's abundantly clear that "demanding" release/transfer fees in actuality, doesn't tend to happen. It's merely a face saving issue. Perhaps perceiving it as instead saving nigh on 200k p.a would be the standpoint to adopt.

.'"

icon_eek.gif

We should have learned all that. When we were playing the Parramatta role with Harris, as you said, Leeds made the right noises, but clearly "demanding" fees etc didn't happen. They were clearly happy to save nigh on 200k p.a. for Harris's wage, and just did a bit of posturing to save face. They didn't sue us, and near on bankrupt us, nor did they sue Harris.

I imagined it all.

134 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
134 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.734375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Finn out Murrell in
MP
9m
Planning for next season
mwindass
10m