FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Bradford Bulls > Rugby Union; Kick, Clap, Canapés and Crap!!
56 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
RankPostsTeam
International Star261No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2019Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
71657_1389362375.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_71657.jpg

Having lived in the South and played both codes, lastly for Cheltenham RL who was started by Lional Hurst and he has gone on to become Gloucestershire All Golds. Class issues in RU still prevail and still hold back what is an entertaining game although a polar opposite of RL.

Slamming Sam if he is not careful will fall into an abysse of politics and blame and frankly the hyenas are already gathering.

Our World Cup was an amazing spectacle in comparison to what RU has dished up over the past weeks.

In my view RL in this country is fading in comparison the evolutionary Southern Hemisphere and that my friends is laid firmly at the RFL.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain Build Bridges NOT Walls:1271.jpg

We're a minority sport in the UK. That's just how it is, to be right; we don't get much publicity in the mainstream press so it's difficult for us to get all the free publicity in the sport's pages which soccer and union get. I'll blame the RFL for lots of things but I'm not sure how they can counter that.

To be truthful, rugby in general has such a poor number of followers that the majority of folk in the UK don't even know the difference between union and league. Many union 'fans' only go to, or watch, internationals, like us they are miles behind soccer. Daft as it sounds, it may well be that league gets a bit of a boost from the union cup with kids, who don't know the difference, turning up to join our clubs. Most of the the TV followers aren't big union fans anyway, they're just following the hype in the press and general media - let's keep our fingers crossed.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1011No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I have been a RL fan for 40 years and love it and find union boring. Having said that, I do feel that we are minnows up to union. Both club competitions are poor. Union gets low gates but so does SL. Super league only really have 4 or 5 clubs that can compete.
I have to concede though that union is a truly world sport - not just the M62. I am sure I heard on the news yesterday that the gates for this union world cup will be above 4 million because so many games were getting full houses in massive stadiums.
I have no resentment to union. If you like it then so be it.
I will stick to our little game of league even though it does feel as though it is slowly dieing and definitely would if it wasn't for sky.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1390No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2017Jan 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Done. 25/01/17.:

It might be 50 years away but the two codes will eventually merge back into one.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4525
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024May 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13619.gif
:13619.gif

Quote: bullsonfire "It might be 50 years away but the two codes will eventually merge back into one.'"

Unfortunately I think it will be one code where RU will take our better innovations (such as VR and Subs) but the RFL will become even more insignificant until it disappears. A bit like doubles boards at darts.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain Build Bridges NOT Walls:1271.jpg

Ahh, proper darts - them were't days....

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8877No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/combustable.gif
Red Amber and Black Fantasy Rugby League Champion 2012. By far the most sensible posts on this thread have come from mystic eddie. - copyright Ewwenorfolk 09.04.2013 Aye, and Eddie is hinting at it too. And, as we all know: Mystic Eddie has been right all along! - copyright vbfg 05.01.2017:Others/combustable.gif

TBH it was only a matter of time before I read such an article on here, and TBH, it just highlights the jealousy from RL people towards RU.

The RU World Cup was a wonderful spectacle and is now the third biggest sporting competition in the world, after the football world cup and the Olympics. 97% of all tickets available were sold and games even between "emerging nations" were played in front of full houses.

There were shocks (Japan beating South Africa), there was controversy, (Scotland robbed of a win over Australia), humiliation for the first ever hosts to be horsed out at the Pool Stages. We saw massive improvement from the lesser nations, a Southern Hemisphere domination and a statement of intent from the Argentinians and a World Record crowd for a Rugby Union match.

The games were generally all high scoring, there were plenty of tries, hardly a drop goal kicked in anger and free-flowing as it gets as the Southern Hemisphere influence is finally ending the England based penalty fest that Jonny copyrighted in 2003.

It was beamed all over the world (live rugby on Uruguayan tv???) to millions.

All in all, it was the kind of event that RL could only ever dream about. I loved it.

It was won by the right country, playing great rugby and a team of genuine sporting greats.

As opposed to the RLWC with only three countries having any chance whatsoever, topped up with useless nations who get pumped throughout, in front of sply populated stadia in dumps like Whitehaven.

I prefer the game of RL easily, but the RU code is miles ahead of RL and will only grow stronger. Anyone who sees this differently is utterly deluded.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator8088
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
869_1597404840.jpg
//www.twitter.com/pumpetypump:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_869.jpg

Quote: mystic eddie "the RU code is miles ahead of RL and will only grow stronger. Anyone who sees this differently is utterly deluded.'"

Yes I sadly agree. I genuinely believe that RL is a dead man walking. I take no pleasure in saying this as I love it with all my heart but the restructure of the domestic game in this country convinced me that there cannot possibly be a long-term future for the sport.

Would anyone care to have a doom and gloom-off with me?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31695
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

People have been predicting the downfall of RL since 1895. I think we've got a while yet.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg

I'm in the 'let's wait and see' camp.... icon_biggrin.gifAISY:

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

ME is basically right. the differences are historically and to date, the sheer clout behind the RU movement; and secondly the ability and the resources of those running the respective sports (whlek stalls and Walmart springs to mind for some reason).

The RUWC is indeed huge but for how long has it been? It has been an object lesson in how to get from A to B, Peter Deakin himself would have been proud.

Tbf RL has of late dipped some toes into the same waters, but sadly has neither the personnel, the resources or, critically, the international will to genuinely compete in such events.

However I am happy that of late our WC has become a genuine major event, and we have gone for and been rewarded by an event and crowds and coverage that has considerably exceeded expectations. Whether that will be kept up, though, is the question.

It is true we have much the better sport, even though RU has subtly incorporated more attractive RL-style features and will continue to do so, but you can't beat a sense of major event to attract people, and RU are masters at that. It works too - see our smaller-scale WC successes with the same approach.

I don't easily foresee the demise of RL but it is not impossible depending on the Australians view of international sport. But undoubtedly SL clubs have all got financial problems - in the sense that many struggle to pay the salary cap, sure, but I mean more in the sense that not one club is anywhere near being able to pay a NRL size salary cap) and so cannot attract a squad of elite sportsmen. I don't see floods of money coming any time soon, and so it will be difficult for SL clubs to both survive and remain genuien top level sporting clubs unless they can extract significant funds from somewhere other than central funding, which is the key, such as for example that used to acquire and pay the likes of Sam Burgess and before him SBW.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8877No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/combustable.gif
Red Amber and Black Fantasy Rugby League Champion 2012. By far the most sensible posts on this thread have come from mystic eddie. - copyright Ewwenorfolk 09.04.2013 Aye, and Eddie is hinting at it too. And, as we all know: Mystic Eddie has been right all along! - copyright vbfg 05.01.2017:Others/combustable.gif

I am not suggesting in any way that RL will die but since the move to a professional game, Rugby Union has moved strides ahead of RL. When there was once a time that the League clubs could attract the top Union players, the shoe is now firmly on the other foot these days.

What I did notice, however, was that the fans were absolutely terrific in the tournament. OK, you still get the "Swing Low" brigade, mainly at "HQ" as they like to call it and Scottish fans are indeed usually the toffee-nosed ones from the Lothian and borders regions but the atmosphere created in the RUWC was tremendous, and a big surprise to this viewer.

The problem for RL is that it is a minority sport, only played (seriously) in four counties on the planet in Yorkshire, Lancashire, Queensland and NSW. In terms of appeal from spectators etc, it sits alongside Hurling and Gaelic Football, both minority sports, as enjoyable as they are.

RU is a worldwide game and as the game evolves (FA called it spot on - the introduction of RL tactics) it is becoming an excellent game to watch. It will continue to grow.

One benefit to English based RL sides however is the frankly awful treatment of Sam Burgess who was the scapegoat from the start. A big part of me thinks the the English Unionites were delighted that their side went out so that they could blame the "convert". (Curiously they never mention the "convert" in Jason Robinson who scored the (ultimately matchwinning) try in the 2003 WC). I am sure that some of our own RL may well be put off given that the media will have them as the sitting ducks for any future "failure".

RL should pretty much drop the word "Rugby" from the name. They are now two completely different sports and as long as the title stays in the name then the comparisons will inevitably follow.

(Ironically, the Grand Final got more than its usual coverage on the BBC this year only because the Union side were playing a "dead rubber" on the other side of Manchester.)

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

Although the RFU's wheeze in deliberately scheduling an England WC match in Manchester in a pathetic attempt to devalue the GF is probably the perfect illustration of the attitudes that are entrenched in that organisation and the perfect answer to RU trolls who say RL types are paranoid and make it all up. Much is deliberately done to try to harm RL, and even resorting to blaming the miserable failure of their national team on RL converts and coaches. Sam in particular didn't deserve the Unionite bagging he got (especally as they were winning and defending well until they took Sam off).

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8877No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/combustable.gif

Quote: Ferocious Aardvark "Although the RFU's wheeze in deliberately scheduling an England WC match in Manchester in a pathetic attempt to devalue the GF is probably the perfect illustration of the attitudes that are entrenched in that organisation and the perfect answer to RU trolls who say RL types are paranoid and make it all up. Much is deliberately done to try to harm RL, and even resorting to blaming the miserable failure of their national team on RL converts and coaches. Sam in particular didn't deserve the Unionite bagging he got (especally as they were winning and defending well until they took Sam off).'"

What is actually quite amusing is that I firmly believe that they deliberately played the game in Manchester so that if they won the tournament they could not have been accused of "only winning because they played every game at Twickenham" like they often say about the Football boys, at Wembley, in 1966.

So whilst they faced Fiji, Australia and Wales at Twickkers, I reckon they arranged to leave their home comforts only to face the group whipping boys.

Just a shame it was all over by then......

RankPostsTeam
International Star261No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2019Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
71657_1389362375.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_71657.jpg

There is a "Stigma" surrounding RL and this has to be changed. The reinforcing at every opportunity that RL is a working class sport and generally watched by such an audience is debilitating. Only the other week, a women was speaking on the radio about the economy and I quote said " The working class of the North" as if that is all that makes up a region.

RU already had bases to grow, because RU was a travelling show and embedded through the Empire.

The RFL is entrusted to make the correct strategical and political moves to develop the game with limited finances. Clubs have financial constraints I understand that but RU have been there too.

The RFL and clubs "Together have to be smarter".

To Edit:- Sky could employ a smarter and more technical panel to cover games (Sorry Stevo and the other fella your great guys really icon_biggrin.gif )

As a side note ITV were better at covering a Rugby World cup than the sp coverage we got of the BBC.

56 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
56 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.52197265625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 17 Warrington Away
chapylad
20m
Recruitment rumours and links
ratticusfinc
33m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
chapylad
41m
Vegas Baby
endoman
48m
Saints h
MattyB
50m
Bradford Away 140724
supercat
56m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
57m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
58m
Damel Diakhate
Eastern Wild
Recent
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
nathan_rugby
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Sackings
John_D
52s
For the live of god Arthur out
KaeruJim
53s
Bradford Away 140724
supercat
57s
Shopping list for 2025
Marcus's Bic
1m
FC v hull kr
Jake the Peg
1m
Watson toast
financialtim
1m
Saints h
MattyB
1m
have the rules changed
Spookisback
2m
Bradford
BigTime
2m
Arthur In
KaeruJim
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Damel Diakhate
Eastern Wild
TODAY
Sackings
John_D
TODAY
Warrington Wolves Into Second With Win Over Leeds
RLFANS News
TODAY
Tonights game v Leeds
Matt King's
TODAY
Watson toast
financialtim
TODAY
Watson Been Stood Down
Deeeekos
TODAY
Watson gone
Jo Jumbuck
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Giants
doc999
TODAY
Just makes me laugh
Wildmoggy
TODAY
Anyone know about wfd v batley
financialtim
TODAY
Bradford
BigTime
TODAY
One more Saints inspired novel
glee
TODAY
Bradford Away 140724
supercat
TODAY
Fax v Fev
The Phantom
TODAY
Cas
RfE
TODAY
Round 17 Warrington Away
chapylad
TODAY
Saints h
MattyB
TODAY
For the live of god Arthur out
KaeruJim
TODAY
Arthur In
KaeruJim
TODAY
Wakefield H
Pyrah123
TODAY
Squad for Leeds
Or thane
TODAY
Academy Internationa
Winslade's O
TODAY
Jamie Humphreys NRL Debut
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
York v Dons Sunday 14th July 2024 3pm
Double Movem
TODAY
Warrington v Wigan Super League game to take place in Las Ve
Saddened!
TODAY
Las Vegas Official
Wires71
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Into Second ..
Salford Hold On To Beat Unluck..
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
Hull KR Drop Goal Secures Win ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M 3,183 80,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
11:00
Cronulla
v
Wests
     Womens Super League 2024-R8
17:30
WiganW
v
St.HelensW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
20:00
LondonB
v
Castleford
Wigan
v
St.Helens
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
08:30
Gold Coast
v
Parramatta
10:35
Brisbane
v
St.George
12:00
York V
v
FeatherstoneW
15:00
Hull FC
v
Hull KR
Leigh
v
Huddersfield
       Championship 2024-R15
Whitehaven
v
Toulouse
Catalans
v
Salford
 Sun 14th Jul
12:00
Wire W
v
LeedsW
       League One 2024-R15
14:00
Newcastle
v
Hunslet
14:00
Hudds W
v
BarrowW
       Championship 2024-R15
Batley
v
Barrow
Bradford
v
Wakefield
Halifax
v
Featherstone
Sheffield
v
Swinton
Widnes
v
Dewsbury
York
v
Doncaster
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 12th Jul
SL
LondonB-Castleford
WSL2024
WiganW-St.HelensW
SL
Wigan-St.Helens
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Thu 11th Jul
NRL 19 Dolphins36-28Souths
SL 17 Warrington30-18Leeds
Sun 7th Jul
NRL 18 Sydney42-12St.George
NRL 18 Canberra12-16Newcastle
SL 16 Salford22-20Hull FC
CH 14 Dewsbury16-20Doncaster
CH 14 Featherstone66-0Whitehaven
CH 14 Swinton24-12Widnes
CH 14 Wakefield34-12Batley
CH 14 York54-12Barrow
L1 14 Newcastle0-44Workington
L1 14 Crusaders18-32Midlands
L1 14 Keighley20-20Rochdale
WSL2024 7 Wire W10-32Hudds W
WSL2024 7 York V44-0BarrowW
Sat 6th Jul
NRL 18 Canterbury13-12NZ Warriors
NRL 18 Wests28-40Melbourne
NRL 18 NQL Cowboys20-22Manly
SL 16 Hull KR14-16Catalans
SL 16 Leeds17-16LondonB
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 15 427 170 257 26
Warrington 17 436 231 205 24
St.Helens 16 429 170 259 22
Hull KR 16 397 217 180 22
Salford 16 317 308 9 22
Catalans 16 304 234 70 20

Leeds 17 309 316 -7 18
Huddersfield 16 298 365 -67 12
Leigh 15 270 250 20 11
Castleford 16 246 435 -189 9
Hull FC 16 218 496 -278 4
LondonB 16 156 615 -459 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 14 520 154 366 28
Sheffield 14 382 217 165 22
Bradford 14 353 230 123 19
Toulouse 13 344 186 158 17
Widnes 14 327 269 58 15
Featherstone 14 396 283 113 14

Doncaster 14 257 341 -84 13
York 15 339 305 34 12
Batley 14 217 320 -103 12
Swinton 14 284 344 -60 10