FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Bradford Bulls > Emd of th road for the OSV?
59 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain Build Bridges NOT Walls:1271.jpg

According to the T&A (in the paper but not yet on website) there is a story by Ben Barnett about 174 homes being built on the old Northern View hospital site, which IIRC was going to form part of the village. The article refers to the OSV as being "stalled" and quotes council leader Greenwood as saying that funding for the Sports Village was being "evaluated in the light of the spending cuts".

Not sounding good at all.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach9083No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13462.gif
:13462.gif

One subject that is guaranteed to plunge me into a deep depression. Certainly looking forward to an update from the club at the next fans forum. Sadly I fear that we're no closer than this time last year to any diggers on site.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3101No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
38041_1320825214.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_38041.jpg

Sorry to break this to you, but it will never happen, never was, never will. Quote me on that. It was a big dream. That doesn't mean to say I don't want it to happen because anyone that has the slightest interested in UK sport will want it to happen.
It was laughable hearing about all the different organisations that we're each putting their share in the pot. I'm not trolling btw, from the moment I saw the plans on the news I thought 'Ha dream on, never happen' and hey here we are a couple of years down the line.
We are seeing the likes of Wakefield, Salford and Castleford bending backwards to get a basic but modern stadia in place for 2012 (2 will succeed), but yet Bradford, a club supposedly of much bigger stature having no plans to prevent themselves from having the worst stadium in SL. Its time to get back down to earth and go to plan B...if there is one?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain Build Bridges NOT Walls:1271.jpg

Quote: RhinoNeil "Sorry to break this to you, but it will never happen, never was, never will. Quote me on that. It was a big dream. That doesn't mean to say I don't want it to happen because anyone that has the slightest interested in UK sport will want it to happen.
It was laughable hearing about all the different organisations that we're each putting their share in the pot. I'm not trolling btw, from the moment I saw the plans on the news I thought 'Ha dream on, never happen' and hey here we are a couple of years down the line.
We are seeing the likes of Wakefield, Salford and Castleford bending backwards to get a basic but modern stadia in place for 2012 (2 will succeed), but yet Bradford, a club supposedly of much bigger stature having no plans to prevent themselves from having the worst stadium in SL. Its time to get back down to earth and go to plan B...if there is one?'"

You'll not be shocked to learn that most fans have had a healthy disregard to the more grandiose pronouncements from the various parties involved, RN. I don't think I'm giving away any great secrets if I say this has been on the cards from the start of the recession and, in its original plan as passed by the council, was never really looking like coming off anyway.

Not sure if it means 'back to square one', I feel the club do have irons in the fire (the directors must have known which way the wind was blowing) whether they are of sufficient quality to come up with serious ground improvements, I dunno. It's hardly the best time to be seeking finance. Hopefully we'll get a statement from Peter Hood as to just what his next move will be.

mat
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9553
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

tbh it was always going to be virtually impossible to justify keeping the 15M the council had allocated to their portion of OSV ringfenced in face of council facing 60m worth of funding cuts. Writings been on wall ever since those cuts came through imo. But it was always planned that the stadium portion of OSV was to be funded by the club. This probably means that the plans will be scaled back significantly to a more realistic aim of putting a roof on pop side ( which lets face it is all we need in immediate future) with the rest of the ground being developed in stages later. Where we will find the funds to do that though is another matter.

Given that even if OSV doesnt go ahead the council will still have to provide alternate facilities to richard dunn which has been on its last legs for years. I wonder if we've considered possibilty of a new build stadium combined with a sports on the richard dunn land, which would presumably be a lot cheaper to build on as its relatively flat and doesnt have contamination problems odsal has. Added benefit being its close enough to our spiritual home that dont think many fans would have a problem accepting the move (which has always been problem with a permanent move to VP).

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach9083No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13462.gif

Quote: mat " Added benefit being its close enough to our spiritual home that dont think many fans would have a problem accepting the move (which has always been problem with a permanent move to VP).'"

Which is something that has never bothered me too much. I'd be happy to move away from Odsal if we were moving to top class facilities and somewhere where the club would grow. The ideal situation would be redeveloping at our current home but I wouldn't shed too many tears if we were moving to something similar to what they have at Warrington.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner8224No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2012Sep 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7741_1339451243.jpg
When you're a Bradford fan there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately it's usually an oncoming train:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7741.jpg

I'd rather have a 21st century stadium. If we could get it built at Odsal then great, however if we have to move to get it then I'm happy for us to move.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14145No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45.jpg

Any chance we ever had of getting a new build stadium was destroyed when the previous scheme, basically funded by a Tesco development the same way Wire, Stains and Wigan were. was called in.

That single action meant we can never do what those other three clubs have been able to do. Unless we move out of this city

And yet Tesco were subsequently allowed to build a Megastore on Great Horton Road and shortly on Canal Road (where extensions were allowed anyway) and Morrisons were allowed to have a Matalan built on their Mayo Avenue site. That'll be to protect the city centre as well, then?

And the sodding city centre, which was supposed to be protected by wrecking our plans - well need I say more? Where the fcük is the Co-op, one of the big complainants, now?

We were stitched up good and proper.

And the only way you get a roof on the popular side, and indeed the only way to make any economic sense of it, IIRC, is a massive great cantilever anchored to a big new corporate facility - not a cheap option.

RankPostsTeam
International Star180No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2011May 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

What's wrong with steel uprights same as on the on the other side and the same as both the north and south stands at Leeds?

mat
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9553
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Adeybull "And the only way you get a roof on the popular side, and indeed the only way to make any economic sense of it, IIRC, is a massive great cantilever anchored to a big new corporate facility - not a cheap option.'"

wasnt the cantilever only necessary to eliminate posts supporting the roof and hence stop them blocking peoples view?. They dont seem to cause a massive problem in main stand. Surely we could put something up similar to main stand on pop side relatively cheaply, more so if we made a significant portion of it terracing instead of seating, which majority seem to prefer anyway.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14145No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45_1302643626.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45.jpg

Apparently you don't have pillars blocking the view in "stadiums fit for the 21st century", according to the RFL. Plus you'd not be able to fund a roof by itself - it would be a pretty big affair - since the extra income would be minimal but the cost substantial.

mat
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9553
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Adeybull "Apparently you don't have pillars blocking the view in "stadiums fit for the 21st century", according to the RFL. Plus you'd not be able to fund a roof by itself - it would be a pretty big affair - since the extra income would be minimal but the cost substantial.'"

wouldnt have thought we'd have looked at doing it to generate extra income, more a case of guaranteeing our franchise. We really are caught between a rock and a hard case. We cant afford to improve odsal and yet if we move to a purpose built stadium/VP then we have to pay much higher rent than we currently do and also lose several of the income streams that the pledge deal depends on. Notice how council managed to slip this news out on a public holiday when council offices are normally shut.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
14782.jpg
The views in this post are mine and mine alone. Unless stated otherwise, they do not reflect the views of any company or entity I am associated with.:14782.jpg

We already have the speakers on poles blocking the view of the pop side, don't need anything extra. Personally I'd rather have no roof than yet more things blocking my view, although I'm probably in the minority there.

Those speakers are highly highly irritating.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach9083No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13462.gif

Quote: DILLIGAF "We already have the speakers on poles blocking the view of the pop side, don't need anything extra. Personally I'd rather have no roof than yet more things blocking my view, although I'm probably in the minority there.

Those speakers are highly highly irritating.'"

I'd like to think if we developed the popular side we might remove those? icon_wink.gif

I could cope with some pillars if it meant we got a new stand!

mat
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9553
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: DILLIGAF "We already have the speakers on poles blocking the view of the pop side, don't need anything extra. Personally I'd rather have no roof than yet more things blocking my view, although I'm probably in the minority there.

Those speakers are highly highly irritating.'"

doubt it would be extra as speaker poles could then be eliminated, with speakers moving up into the roof. So instead of all the speaker poles you'd have 3 or 4 pillars supporting roof. And looking at the ones on the main stand they arent ridiculously thick ones either. Swings and roundablouts really as, as adey says, we cant afford to do it anyway. But going forwards we are going to have to do something before 2015 franchise round.

59 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
59 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.55859375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Whitehaven
Wollo-Wollo-
4m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
5m