JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
54039_1294695296.jpg
[b:p889vjdy][i:p889vjdy][color=#FF0000:p889vjdy]BULLSBOY2011:[/color:p889vjdy][/i:p889vjdy][/b:p889vjdy] [i:p889vjdy][color=#0000FF:p889vjdy][size=85:p889vjdy]'Pain is temporary, Pride is forever!'[/size:p889vjdy][/color:p889vjdy][/i:p889vjdy] [color=#FF40BF:p889vjdy]Bradford Bulls Fan Since Birth :)[/color:p889vjdy]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_54039.jpg

JUst you, no offence but it wouldnt be rugby league with big helmets on? The sport is good enough as it is icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1271.jpg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain Build Bridges NOT Walls:1271.jpg

Quote: Frank Whitcombe "Firstly, I'm glad your boy is going to be okay! As a father of two young girls the only thing I really worry about is keeping them safe, and I'm sure you were worried sick!

This thread has veered into a pet topic of mine namely player safety! I cringe when I hear commentators use terms like 'collision' and often with relish as if it's something to be proud of? Rugby league has become a very dangerous sport with multiple injuries per game often serious with squads not big enough to cope and players playing injured!

We need to think long and hard about where the sport goes really and we could be at a crossroads a la American Football per helmets.

I'd be interested on everyone's thoughts or is just me?'"

I know where you're coming from but I doubt that things will change.

It's a game played by (mostly)young men in a testosterone fuelled atmosphere; it is, in the forwards particularly, a game where showing who is the 'hardest' is important to the players, and it is the players themselves who make it like that, and let's be honest, enjoy it like that.

It IS different for parents, I agree. We're back to the old parental thinking where it was alright for me to do that when I was a kid - but you're frightened to death when you see your son doing it. This is the same whether your kid is climbing a tree or cliff or playing a physical collision sport like RL. What I'm not so sure about is how you take the danger out without totally changing the game, to be honest. Truth is I don't really think you can.

RankPostsTeam
International Star19No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Jan 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: BaldRick "Went to see my lad in the hospital today . There was a very nice gentleman wearing a Bulls shirt at the bed next to Carl's bed . We had a bit of a chat , but I didn't get his name . He reads these boards , and he wished me and mine well .
Just a note to say thanks for the good wishes , it was a pleasure meeting you , and I hope your little girl is well soon .

Oh ! And a warning that the bloke who is staying overnight with the kid in the bed opposite you snores like a chainsaw
It's Darren and glad to hear your lad's getting better. Thankfully we got let out on the day once Eloise had come back from surgery to repair her lip and put the stitches in (can't say that holding your child and looking into her eyes as she went under was a particularly pleasant experience). Seems to have pretty much recovered from the experience now and, after a few days of not eating, is putting it away like a horse! Think the mental scars on her parents have just about eased as well.
Nice to meet a fellow supporter [of the game, not the club obviously
Cheers

RankPostsTeam
International Star1585No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2012Sep 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51571_1284917207.jpg
[color=#FFBF40:unkk0yqo]Yorkshire Kidney Research Fund[/color:unkk0yqo] [url:unkk0yqo]http://www.ykrf.co.uk[/url:unkk0yqo]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51571.jpg

Glad to here she is doing ok matey . Terrible experience to have your child in a place like that ain't it , and such a relief when you know they are gonna be ok . Carl went for a new pot on again yesterday . They have to change the pot so they can change the dressings on the open wounds inside it . He is getting rather good at hopping , and they say he may have his pot off for good in three weeks . He will still need to use a chair to join us on the www.charitygiving.co.uk/james2odsal walk as we go through Leeds though.
Ooooops . Another shameless plug icon_wink.gif

Best of luck to you and yours Darren , and it was nice meeting you .

Rick
Glad to here she is doing ok matey . Terrible experience to have your child in a place like that ain't it , and such a relief when you know they are gonna be ok . Carl went for a new pot on again yesterday . They have to change the pot so they can change the dressings on the open wounds inside it . He is getting rather good at hopping , and they say he may have his pot off for good in three weeks . He will still need to use a chair to join us on the www.charitygiving.co.uk/james2odsal walk as we go through Leeds though.
Ooooops . Another shameless plug icon_wink.gif

Best of luck to you and yours Darren , and it was nice meeting you .

Rick

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach21No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2014Jun 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

As the mother of three Rugby playing lads (now all too old to play) who has spent many hundreds of hours cringeing on the touchline watching them get smashed - and many hours in A&E watching them get patched up - it is always really, really difficult. But I always consoled myself with one thought; when they went out at night into town I never had to worry that they'd get beaten up or start fights or get picked on - and I know the stats show 16-25 year old boys are in the greatest peril in town centres at night. My chaps got all their aggression out on the field and just had a quietly confident air about them when they were out that meant they never got targeted. Contact sports are gruelling for parents to watch - but not as lethal as motorbikes!

<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.1064453125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
RD 25 Hull FC H
LeedsLurch
6m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Emagdnim13
13m