JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2011Dec 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: AaronBull "Seen as you asked my friend..

Diskin - impressed. Added extra oomph to the hooking role, and compliments L'Estrange well, despite being an extra leader
Ainscough - again, impressed. More so with his attitude and commitment than anything else.
Walker - mixed to be honest. Had his injury but not come back fully yet. Reserved judgement.
Ah Van - decent goalkicker, decent winger. Improvement on what we had in that position last year.
Hargreaves - chuffed. Extra dimension in the pack, and stood up well.
Elima - echo Hargreaves. Suitable replacement for Menzies, with age on his side. Machine.
Sibbit - poor, but if we get the luxury of a fit squad he won't be near the side.
Raynor - good workrate and effort, but not as impressive as Ainy.
Royston - been moved from pillar to post but done OK, had his best game tonight playing full-back for 80 minutes. See a future in him.
Herbert - despite peoples criticisms I think he's getting better week in, week out. Has potential, but slow-ish start.
Briggs - not seen enough (none of us have) to judge.'"

The reason we are no longer in the top 4 is because we have repeatedly replaced quality players with mediocre talent, with the odd exception. Admittedly, when you are winning titles and world champs, that's hard to do. However, if we want to get back to winning titles, we have to start to recruit quality, and the majority of the players in the above list do not fall into that category. We may not be able to compete legally with Warrington, but if we spend up to the full salary cap then i think we need to sign some real quality and experience in the backs to compliment the younger players.

Whilst i acknowledge that you need a strong squad to compete, as our injury list proves, i would be more inclined to try and spend our money on 2 or 3 signings of real quality (if we are able to attract them to a club in the bottom half of the table) and either keep some of the above players (mostly backs) as squad players, or not re-sign them and replace them with others. By next year some of our younger players will be ready to step up into a more senior role, either as squad players or members of the 17. If we are able to attract some real quality, then i see that as the start of being able to not only win games through the ability to unlock defences (which is one of our biggest problems this year) but also the start of being taken more seriously as a club again and being able to attract further star talent in subsequent years. Players do play for the money, but also enjoy being part of a winning environment. The question is, can we attract the star names now, given our current state.

My verdict on the above players for what it's worth:

Diskin - Good signing, has the ability to dominate, good pairing with Heath.
Ainscough - Unfortunately, our style of play, or lack of a ball distributing stand off, doesn't see our wingers get the ball enough, but when given the chance he looks good going forward, and knows where the line is. However, at times he looks out of his depth positionally on defence, and his size is an issue in that respect. I'd only keep him if better isn't available for similar money, but acknowledge that if he improves his defence he's an asset.
Raynor - Tries hard, and suffers too from lack of ball in space, but at his age i wouldn't retain him. Personally i would like to see Finnigan recalled before too long and given a chance to see whether or not he is good enough, or if we need to sign another winger.
Ah Van - Whilst i feel he has improved in recent weeks, (looks to have lost weight) i feel he isn't good enough. His lack of pace is alarming for a back, and defensively he is also suspect. Good near the line, but we need someone with more in their game than that. The Warriors wouldn't have let a 21 year old with talent go if he was going to be great and if you sign reserve grade players, you get reserve grade performers. He is not worth a quota spot for what he offers (we can find another kicker) and is not good enough to play centre, FB or stand off.
Herbert - Not good enough, wouldn't re-sign. ok, so he's improving slightly, and has some try assists, but again, the Raiders had no problem letting him go for a reason. He was worth the risk, we had few options, but if we want to climb the table we need better. His kicking game is poor, he is not vocal enough to organise, and he's not worth a quota spot.
Royston - I like Shad, has some great qualities, but ultimately, he probably isn't quite good enough due to his lack of pace. Let's be honest, if everyone is fit, he doesn't start, and doesn't get in the 17, as you don't really get a spot on the bench as a back. I'd be happy to keep him as a squad member if he is happy with that. His best position is FB, as he's a runner, and we have a better FB in Kearney (assuming he stays). A shame more of our other players don't have his support play skills!
Briggs - Like most people, we haven't seen enough, but the current situation is confusing. Perhaps there's more going on at training or behind the scenes than we know, (anyone got any inside info?). I'd like to see him get a run asap so we can make a judgement, but 6 is a position i'd be most inclined to spend big on and use a quota spot on signing some real quality!
Walker - average so far. Definitely not a centre, 2nd row squad member at best on current form, but potential to be good in that position. if a decision had to be made now, i'd let him go, as we have enough other back rowers (although could get into trouble with injuries)
Sibbit - not good enough, play him in the reserves, loan him out, or play him like we do now, if we are decimated by injuries, then let him go next year.
Elima - good signing, starting to hit some form, but would like to see more in attack.
Hargreaves - good signing.

Our priorities have to be to sign real quality at 6, 7, centre, possibly winger and re-sign Heath and BK (as a full back). If we can't do that i wouldn't blame either of those 2 for signing with a team further up the table and can only see current decline continuing.

Here's hoping for some good news before too long!

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member6038No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

So far we've had two very bad performances and the rest have been pretty much what might have been expected at the start of the season. A bit disappointing that we didnt manage one "shock" victory against Wigan/Saints/Giants/Leeds.

As far as the new signings are concerned, I think we're getting what you might expect from the pool of players that are now our target market. Some decent performances but an awful lot of inconsistency. The players we've signed are available at a salary that we can afford because they have some talent but are unable to turn it on week in week out.

Despite our league position I have slightly more faith than this time last year, but until we can afford some genuine quality, or the younger players fulfill their potential, I cant see massive scope for improvement.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4371No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2017Nov 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The BullPen - Bradford Bulls Fansite: //bradfordbulls.wordpress.com/:

Quote: Ferocious Aardvark "&quot;Ewwenorfolk&quot; wrote

But then when said players don't sign for us, you'd get another thread full of moaning like this one.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

I would like to see Lionel Messi at scrum half.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4525
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024May 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13619.gif
:13619.gif

This season was always going to be about reasonable performances at home and a good cup run. I think we signed a lot of players on one year contracts asking them to prove themselves. The fact that we signed so many always meant we had to be fortunate in having a lot of those gambles paying off. My worry is that we now have to replace most of them at the end of the year as they have not really impressed thus meaning next year will be another of transition making our seventh. This will then be followed by Potters departure after his two years meaning another coach and yet another transition year. After a while you have to start believing ypu are a mediocre club and no longer in transition.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner8224No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2012Sep 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7741_1339451243.jpg
When you're a Bradford fan there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately it's usually an oncoming train:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7741.jpg

Quote: rugbyreddog "This season was always going to be about reasonable performances at home and a good cup run. I think we signed a lot of players on one year contracts asking them to prove themselves. The fact that we signed so many always meant we had to be fortunate in having a lot of those gambles paying off. My worry is that we now have to replace most of them at the end of the year as they have not really impressed thus meaning next year will be another of transition making our seventh. This will then be followed by Potters departure after his two years meaning another coach and yet another transition year. After a while you have to start believing ypu are a mediocre club and no longer in transition.'"

The thing is, the club are in talks with OOC players and this should hopefully mean there'll be less of a player turn over this year.

94 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
94 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.0439453125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 17 Warrington Away
ploinerrhino
5m
Odsal lease up for sale
mat
16m