Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2014Jul 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50753_1298545589.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50753.jpg

Although I was very sceptical at the Ultras, and thought it would attract a hooligan element and be imtimidating to other fans, it has done the opposite. They are providing what it says on the bottle "entertainment and support". I am convinced that it gives the Wigan players a 6 point advantage having such support away from home. Wembley this year will be fantastic, hopefully you will be able to compete in the Grand Final in October.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach885No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2021Jun 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Most Wigan supporters I know find this group embarrassing and feel they are ruining the name of Wigan RL. Why do people feel they have to part of a different group from everybody else, do they think they are better supporters than the rest.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47567_1459269569.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47567.jpg

Quote: roader "Most Wigan supporters I know find this group embarrassing and feel they are ruining the name of Wigan RL. Why do people feel they have to part of a different group from everybody else, do they think they are better supporters than the rest.'"

It's nothing to do with thinking we're better supporters; we're not. It's about expressing our support in a different way. Not everyone will want to wave flags, sing and jump up and down, that's fine and we aren't trying to make them! I'd urge you, or your Wigan supporting friends to get down to one of the meetings and see for yourself the mentality of the group who has organised this, as im sure ski would agree, we want nothing more to than improve the atmosphere and bring more colour to the crowds. As for embarrassing Wigan RL? Would you like to explain how? Because literally no-one else has suggested a similar thing, I'd love to hear the details behind that?

I think a group at saints, coupled with the new stadium and terraced area could be a big success if you can get enough folk behind it, so good luck!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach885No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2021Jun 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

All you've done is formed a group that every trouble maker is going to latch onto and sooner or later it will kick off. As for a group at Saints no thanks, I've supported St Helens RLFC for decades and that's good enough for me.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner29212No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6310_1310045241.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6310.jpg

Exactly. I don't care what anyone claims, ultras in football are about intimidation and organised violence.

We don't need that in RL, it's a family sport. You want to bring flags (I noticed that all the Wigan ones are the same colour and SOOOOOOOO bland) and sing, fine, you don't need a borderline terrorist/gang identity to do it under.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47567_1459269569.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47567.jpg

Quote: roader "All you've done is formed a group that every trouble maker is going to latch onto and sooner or later it will kick off. As for a group at Saints no thanks, I've supported St Helens RLFC for decades and that's good enough for me.'"

Whilst I understand that, and it is something we are wary of, it's up to us to police ourselves and ensure that it doesn't. There is no reason why it would "kick off", we aren't agressive, intimidating or violent and nothing we do would suggest otherwise. We've all supported Wigan RL for years, that hasn't and will never change!

Quote: roader "Exactly. I don't care what anyone claims, ultras in football are about intimidation and organised violence.

We don't need that in RL, it's a family sport. You want to bring flags (I noticed that all the Wigan ones are the same colour and SOOOOOOOO bland) and sing, fine, you don't need a borderline terrorist/gang identity to do it under.'"

That's your opinion, although I think you're getting ultras groups and firms/hooligan groups mixed up.

You're correct, we don't need that in RL, and guess what, we don't have it in RL! This is not football, nothing we do concerns intimidation and organised violence. It all started as a way to make the DW stadium more like home, with thousands being spent on flags to hang from the gantry. Does that sound like it is related to violence? You are making links between two things that are completely unrelated, a group of wigan fans enthusiastic about supporting their club in a loud and vibrant manner, and mindless idiots that use following FOOTBALL teams as an excuse for violence.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman27757No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021May 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34_1430670222.jpg
[url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-n8:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]An Ode to Sepp Blatter[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/s1ImSi-dadbod:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Dadbod[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-mK:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Next In Line To The Throne[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=https://mcclennan.wordpress.com/2014/10/12/st-helens-and-a-fitting-end-to-a-season-of-unsung-heroes/:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]St Helens and a Fitting End to a Season of Unsung Heroes[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=https://twitter.com/cinematicsoul:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Follow my wisdom on Twitter[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-aA:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Top 100 films of the 00s - The Top 5[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34.jpg

Quote: Saddened! "Exactly. I don't care what anyone claims, ultras in football are about intimidation and organised violence.

We don't need that in RL, it's a family sport. You want to bring flags (I noticed that all the Wigan ones are the same colour and SOOOOOOOO bland) and sing, fine, you don't need a borderline terrorist/gang identity to do it under.'"

eusa_clap.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12860No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39110_1363272058.jpg
Dropkick Murphy..we actually saw and heard a mass of bouncing and scarf and flag waving to Dale Cavese that drowned out anything we could muster.. It stopped us singing our own celebratory songs, it died out seconds later when we accepted we couldn't be heard over the Wigan lot Celebrations muted from us, job done from them. Most fans who slag them off are jealous their own club's support is nowhere near that good - sally cinnamon..Why not discuss Wigan? It's a rugby league message board. Wigan are the most famous brand in rugby league - Tre Cool..Saints fans are hopeless unless it's a cup final or grand final. Wigan fans are so much more loyal and passionate - the flying biscuit..Wires havent been massively succesful over the years, but I've spoke to Brian Bevan And he spoke to me and i wouldnt swap that for Wigans History, ever - Ande..on the TV i could only hear the Wigan fans with about 10 to go - Saint94..Every team is in your feckin shadow, we all know - FIOS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39110.jpg

Quote: Offside Monkey "It does look good and the away support at the Stobart was easily the best I've seen there, but, would you expect the party atmosphere to waver if you were in a less successful period?

If fans groups like this increase the gates at the new stadium, then I'm all for it. If other clubs do the same, then it will be good for the sport all over.'"

I appreciate your comments about the atmosphere at the stobart. That is the reason it was started, to improve the colour at atmosphere.

Without doubt the same support would go on if we were less succesful. In 2006 our crowds were on the up because our supporters are so loyal. We were at the bottom of the table and yet we started taking more fans to away games.
ALL of the fans at the meetings I have attended were there in 2006 and most are lifelong Wigan fans. We ARE NOT a group of chavs hopping on a bandwagon, We ARE a group of lifelong die hard Wigan fans just wanting to improve the atmopshere.

My first involvement with the Brigantes was collectiong money at a Leeds play-off game, I saw a kid who must have only been 10 or 11 getting stuck in and helping. Myself and Dave26 are both at Uni and we help out. I have mates who are in their mid to late 20's who are involves. Many of the people involved watched our Golden era in the 80's and 90's and then there is Rogues who watched Boston and Ashton play.

This scene is for people of all ages and genders and anyone can help in anyway they can. We have a huge range of ages involved.

Going slightly onto what Saddened said.... abroad Ultras movements often spil over into violence, but that is football and all of the people involved are 20-35 and ALL males. It is totally different to our scene at Wigan. It is the same at Green Brigade in Glasgow, look on their videos and you will see most are 17-35 year olds. If we had a group like that then I am not sure I would be so forward in getting involved, that kind of group would intimidate people and make people feel alienated, and on the booze at a big game it would boil over, that is not what we want.

We have 20ish flags up on the south stand, we have 11 big wavers which get taken to the games, we have merchandise such as scarfs and pin badges which get sold ro raise money for the flags, there was a fund raising night for the flags just after last season.... is any of this intimidation?

If we can intimidate the opposition players with our chants then so be it but they are not abusive. Most grounds can be intimidating places to go, just ask the players what it is like being stood behind the sticks at Wheldon Road infront of the Cas fans when you are behind, or being on the old popular side at your old ground while they were in full voice.

The Brigantes aim is to certainly improve the atmopshere and colour at the Wigan games, we want to add that fanatical support that it sometimes lacks, but every single part of it still has the RL family atmosphere.

The club love what we do, the RFL love what we do, the BBC and Sky have commented on our great support. Fans of other rugby clubs and even in other sports have said fantastic things about us.

St Helens is a great club and I am sure something similar could go down very well, support it, give it a chance, it does work. Anyone refusing to accept that probably needs to forget their hatred of Wigan and look how good this could be for YOUR fans.

Good look 'Ski' I hope you get it moving and get people involved!

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member5816
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2019Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2189.gif
"Do you fancy a drink, I know a place called the brink, D'ya wanna go there?" "The only bloke in Harpurhey who wasn't at the Lesser Free Trade Hall, y'all.":2189.gif

Quote: Odemwingie " Many of the people involved watched our Golden era in the 80's and 90's and then there is Rogues who watched Harold Wagstaff and Albert Rosenfeld play. '"

Corrected for accuracy icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member715No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2014Dec 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Games/PDT_041.gif
:Games/PDT_041.gif

Quote: Odemwingie "I appreciate your comments about the atmosphere at the stobart. That is the reason it was started, to improve the colour at atmosphere.

Without doubt the same support would go on if we were less succesful. In 2006 our crowds were on the up because our supporters are so loyal. We were at the bottom of the table and yet we started taking more fans to away games.
ALL of the fans at the meetings I have attended were there in 2006 and most are lifelong Wigan fans. We ARE NOT a group of chavs hopping on a bandwagon, We ARE a group of lifelong die hard Wigan fans just wanting to improve the atmopshere.

My first involvement with the Brigantes was collectiong money at a Leeds play-off game, I saw a kid who must have only been 10 or 11 getting stuck in and helping. Myself and Dave26 are both at Uni and we help out. I have mates who are in their mid to late 20's who are involves. Many of the people involved watched our Golden era in the 80's and 90's and then there is Rogues who watched Boston and Ashton play.

This scene is for people of all ages and genders and anyone can help in anyway they can. We have a huge range of ages involved.

Going slightly onto what Saddened said.... abroad Ultras movements often spil over into violence, but that is football and all of the people involved are 20-35 and ALL males. It is totally different to our scene at Wigan. It is the same at Green Brigade in Glasgow, look on their videos and you will see most are 17-35 year olds. If we had a group like that then I am not sure I would be so forward in getting involved, that kind of group would intimidate people and make people feel alienated, and on the booze at a big game it would boil over, that is not what we want.

We have 20ish flags up on the south stand, we have 11 big wavers which get taken to the games, we have merchandise such as scarfs and pin badges which get sold ro raise money for the flags, there was a fund raising night for the flags just after last season.... is any of this intimidation?

If we can intimidate the opposition players with our chants then so be it but they are not abusive. Most grounds can be intimidating places to go, just ask the players what it is like being stood behind the sticks at Wheldon Road infront of the Cas fans when you are behind, or being on the old popular side at your old ground while they were in full voice.

The Brigantes aim is to certainly improve the atmopshere and colour at the Wigan games, we want to add that fanatical support that it sometimes lacks, but every single part of it still has the RL family atmosphere.

The club love what we do, the RFL love what we do, the BBC and Sky have commented on our great support. Fans of other rugby clubs and even in other sports have said fantastic things about us.

St Helens is a great club and I am sure something similar could go down very well, support it, give it a chance, it does work. Anyone refusing to accept that probably needs to forget their hatred of Wigan and look how good this could be for YOUR fans.

Good look 'Ski' I hope you get it moving and get people involved!'"

eusa_clap.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner12006No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6278_1381491357.jpg
[b:3ekusm3q][color=#FF0000:3ekusm3q]WIGAN RLFC[/color:3ekusm3q][/b:3ekusm3q]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6278.jpg

Quote: Saddened! "Exactly. I don't care what anyone claims, ultras in football are about intimidation and organised violence.

Wigan play in cherry and white, so I know lets have a yellow and green flag.

Course they're all the same colour eusa_wall.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner12006No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6278_1381491357.jpg
[b:3ekusm3q][color=#FF0000:3ekusm3q]WIGAN RLFC[/color:3ekusm3q][/b:3ekusm3q]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6278.jpg

Quote: Rogues Gallery "I know you've been in touch with a couple of our lads who organize the flags etc but your more than welcome to come to one of our meetings and I'm sure we'd be more than willing to help you and your mates in whatever way we can.'"

Only to a point Brian icon_lol.gif

Spoke in depth to Ski in Cardiff after the game and his ideas are similar to how we started. Support him and see where it leads. The more atmosphere at games, the better.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2931No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15252_1297730111.jpg
[color=#FF0000:dd3r80vu][b:dd3r80vu]I HATE ALL THE PIES[/b:dd3r80vu][/color:dd3r80vu]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15252.jpg

Quote: Conroy "Only to a point Brian
No, but thanks for your interest.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2931No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15252_1297730111.jpg
[color=#FF0000:dd3r80vu][b:dd3r80vu]I HATE ALL THE PIES[/b:dd3r80vu][/color:dd3r80vu]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15252.jpg

Quote: Odemwingie "I am a Wigan fan so I know many many other Wigan fans. I have never heard a bad word about what we do, especially the singing. Go on our board, you will struggle to find anyone having a go at what we do.

I also spend alot of time in St Helens (God knows why) and know a lot of saints fans. They were very jealous of our flags on good friday and wished they had something similar. I was also told that our away support at Widnes was some of the best all year and they couldn't believe we sang through half-time.

When we did a collection for the flag fund before the Leeds play-off game, I had Leeds fans asking what it was for and telling me they thought it was great and were putting money in the bucket for OUR flags.

Either you are talking out your a*se, or the people you spoke to are the exception to the norm.

If you don't like singing or chanting or flag waving... infact if yoou don't like the atmosphere then I suggest you don't sit near it.

I think part of the reason why many people attend the big games or the derby games when they wouldn't usually attend is because of the atmopshere these games create. I have no doubt that crowds would go up in RL if every single game had a quality atmosphere. It would put the game on the map more and it would catch the eyes of people watching on tv.'"

I don't know which saints fans you were talking to. The thought of saints fans being jealous of wigan flags is truly unbelievable. It sounds like "Either you are talking out your a*se, or the people you spoke to are the exception to the norm". icon_lol.gif

Your support at the stobart was truly excellent and on par with wire who also stuffed us. icon_surprised.gifops:

I can't understand why you believe that this mindless chanting makes a "quality atmosphere". Singing is one thing making wordless noises is another. Perhaps it is great for you actually doing it but it isn't for me and others listening to it; in fact its just the opposite.
Its hard to explain how annoying I (and other fans around where I sit) find it and if I'm perfectly honest I'd rather have the dire fans singing sh*t helens.
Look, if everyone at wigan (apparently) is happy with it, then I'm really pleased for eveyone and its a free world etc etc but I just don't want anything like it at our ground from our fans.
Unfortunately, it looks like there are some leading members of this forum who would like something similar to what you have. icon_cry.gif
I respect your opinion but just can't agree with it.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner12006No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6278_1381491357.jpg

Me thinks your signature may have a lot to do with your feelings on it all.

79 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint
79 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.77685546875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
1m
Film game
Wanderer
5m