JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46250_1321514358.jpg
ihatewigan@yahoo.co.uk [quote="boz the warrior":1udbj28j]lee briers is a nice person whoooo luck at lee forming a scrum the wire bum banger[/quote:1udbj28j] wigan skoolz rule!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_46250.jpg

Quote: Rogues Gallery "We've just had an in depth discussion on the subject.

Where is the RFL's statement.
If it was only "There will be a statement shortly"

The silence is deafening.

As much as people criticised Mo Lindsay there would have been some sort of response by now.'"
yes he would have said

"these things don't happen at wigan" then promptly taken all the money out of celtic's bank account and transfered it into wigan's to ensure that no one knew about fielden's ridiculous transfer fee and sallary cap breaching wages!

i could go on but the venom in my throat is begining to stick!

god i hate that man, the man who tried everything to ensure his wallet was full at the expense of rugby league (with the exception of one club)

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2795No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46250_1321514358.jpg
ihatewigan@yahoo.co.uk [quote="boz the warrior":1udbj28j]lee briers is a nice person whoooo luck at lee forming a scrum the wire bum banger[/quote:1udbj28j] wigan skoolz rule!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_46250.jpg

the man who thought widnes and wire should merge!

that calder was a viable option for a yorkshire hybrid team name

aarrrggghhhh! i will stop now before i get carried away!

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4958No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1649_1338292262.jpg
I have followed the LONDON CLUB since I was in my teensl even though born in St Helens and still live nearby and went to the first game at Fulham, also Big West Ham Supporter:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1649.jpg

If News International had never come into Rugby League we would never have been in the position we are today, the real problem is the major funding from Sky has been totally wasted mostly on vastly increased wage bills, okay nothing like footballers, but if Sky were ever to withdraw or reduce funding (This season they only paid £250,000 for the Charity Shield) our game will go back to being semi-professional and even part time.

There is a problem in London, more amateurs and sometimes young people are playing the game than in many parts of the North, but for some reason these who participate are not being turned into becoming loyal fans and supporters. Is it just the size of London, I hear some people in St Helens area of Eccleston tell me they that many of them will not go to the new ground regular, as they have always walked to Knowsley Road, if people have that mind thinking is it a reflection of our game?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11659.jpg
Phil Bentham scoured the video tape and despite conclusive evidence that Smith was a half yard offside, he allowed the try to stand. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Saints are a big-game team with bags of big-game experience. They have won five Challenge Cups from six final appearances in the Super League era and have won five Grand Finals in that time too. Add two World Club Championships to that and you have the roll-call of the best rugby league team this country has produced in the modern-era - and it's a phenomenal record. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ancient & Royal wrote.... "You are proud to be associated with that dis-organised band of mercenaries? I am ashamed to be a Wigan fan hell yes, what have we got to be un-ashamed about? We are a joke, a laughing stock, we are NOTHING, why cant people understand!":11659.jpg

Quote: SaintsFan "The only reason I support the Celtic Crusaders project is because I want to see rugby league played in as many places as possible.'"

Well I'd like to see super league rugby in Widnes as they deserve it, plain and simple and meet the RFL criteria. They'd have the 7th or 8th best supported team in the comp above/equal the likes of Salford, Wakefield, Harlequins, Huddersfield and Castleford.

Fact is that expansion is great in principle but NOT at the expnse and possibly survival of established well supported clubs in the heartlands.
Look at the track record.

Gateshead - Failed
Paris - Failed
Catalans - success (Rugby league hotbed as people have said)

Is there anything to suggest at all that a team in a non heartland area and with a low density of population in Celtic's case can sustain a SL standard team? No I don't think there is.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4958No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1649_1338292262.jpg
I have followed the LONDON CLUB since I was in my teensl even though born in St Helens and still live nearby and went to the first game at Fulham, also Big West Ham Supporter:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1649.jpg

There are still many RL Clubs in the heartlands that will never attract big attendances to Super League standards, i doubt Leigh will ever except for one or two Derby matches. But as I said earlier it is pity help us if and when Sky do withdraw if it say became a parochial small time game again. I don't like Murdock and News International but he saved our game, I bet he will never back away from Union!

It just annoys me how still every week in the letters pages of the weekly RL press this debate still goes on about teams who did not make the cut for the first Super League Franchise round, it is over and done, the past now! but I have so much respect and admiration for the Widnes Chairman, what an example to so many others, not one word, her just got down to the job in hand to ensure they make it next time around and I have no doubt they will!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1121No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2015Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40764_1260374436.jpg
an atmosphere that isn't created by people in matching shirts clapping along to a drum or novelty PA music might be nice!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40764.jpg

Quote: Big Dave Fairleigh "Well I'd like to see super league rugby in Widnes as they deserve it, plain and simple and meet the RFL criteria. They'd have the 7th or 8th best supported team in the comp above/equal the likes of Salford, Wakefield, Harlequins, Huddersfield and Castleford.

Fact is that expansion is great in principle but NOT at the expnse and possibly survival of established well supported clubs in the heartlands.
Look at the track record.

Gateshead - Failed
Paris - Failed
Catalans - success (Rugby league hotbed as people have said)

Is there anything to suggest at all that a team in a non heartland area and with a low density of population in Celtic's case can sustain a SL standard team? No I don't think there is.'"

Cheers mate for your kind words.

Whislt I do agree, I try really hard not to come across as bitter and twisted. I think SOC's attitude should be applauded though, like the Quins fan above stated he has knuckled down since hearing of the 'rejection' last July. Although i must be honest, I always had us down as a rank outsider anyway,despite the fact I thought our bid was the most honest and professionally put together.

Was reading through a programme the other day from 2003, we played London at home on Good friday, was a crowd of over 7000. OK that to some may not seem like a lot, but for a town of just about 60000 with a massive influx of 'scouse overspill' I feel it to be quite impressive.

Anyway, I feel providing we win at least one more NRC and possibly a GF, and keep a steady average gate preferably above 4000 we should be a safe bet. But I wouldn't trust the rfl as far as I can throw them icon_confused.gif icon_sad.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2823No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2015Apr 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7880_1279366131.jpg
CHALLENGE CUP WINNERS 2006,'07 & '08 Giant killers, Dragon slayers & Airlie Birds wing clippers 75-0 thats a record score... 16 yrs of misery, gone in 80 minutes If God took up rugby league then his name would have been Vollenhoven with AJ Murphy along too:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7880.jpg

Quote: Bertie Magoo's PA " But I wouldn't trust the rfl as far as I can throw them icon_cry.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2166
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23338.gif
Wellens 3/10 Like public transport. Late, slow and stunk FIOS:23338.gif

we need a cumbrian contingent, drawing from the big 3 professional clubs up there.

Cumbrian is an RL hotbed and could support a franchise

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7498
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15174_1377541021.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15174.gif

Quote: nikos "we need a cumbrian contingent, drawing from the big 3 professional clubs up there.

Cumbrian is an RL hotbed and could support a franchise'"

I'd agree but imo it shouldnt be at the expense of a team in Wales ... people need to give the welsh team some time and this little mishap should be looked at along with all the other factors when the licences come up again.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2166
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23338.gif
Wellens 3/10 Like public transport. Late, slow and stunk FIOS:23338.gif

Quote: No1 Saint "I'd agree but imo it shouldnt be at the expense of a team in Wales ... people need to give the welsh team some time and this little mishap should be looked at along with all the other factors when the licences come up again.'"

I beg your pardon icon_exclaim.gif , are you now coming round to the fact Im always right? icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40218.jpg

Quote: Big Dave Fairleigh "Well I'd like to see super league rugby in Widnes as they deserve it, plain and simple and meet the RFL criteria. They'd have the 7th or 8th best supported team in the comp above/equal the likes of Salford, Wakefield, Harlequins, Huddersfield and Castleford.'"

Fine. And maybe Widnes will get in next time around. That doesn't mean to say Celtic Crusaders will or should not be in Superleague. They have two more years at top flight. If they come through this debacle unscathed and if they recruit wisely (they certainly have more time than last time) then if they meet the criteria they shouldn't be ejected from Superleague just to let Widnes in.

Quote: Big Dave Fairleigh "Fact is that expansion is great in principle but NOT at the expnse and possibly survival of established well supported clubs in the heartlands.'"

I'm quite sure all clubs in the heartlands would consider themselves justified to take up a Superleague spot, if only because they've been around since the year dot. But that isn't feasible unless we go back to the old system of one league. So there has to be some distinguishing criteria and if there are heartlands clubs - well followed or not - who don't meet that criteria then they cannot be in Superleague.

Quote: Big Dave Fairleigh "Gateshead - Failed
Paris - Failed
Catalans - success (Rugby league hotbed as people have said) '"

Gateshead is still going. I could have sworn I sat watching Saints play them just a couple of months ago.

Quote: Big Dave Fairleigh "Is there anything to suggest at all that a team in a non heartland area and with a low density of population in Celtic's case can sustain a SL standard team? No I don't think there is.'"

Return to me in two more years and let's see whether what you say is justified.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: SaintsFan "Fine. And maybe Widnes will get in next time around. That doesn't mean to say Celtic Crusaders will or should not be in Superleague. They have two more years at top flight. If they come through this debacle unscathed and if they recruit wisely (they certainly have more time than last time) then if they meet the criteria they shouldn't be ejected from Superleague just to let Widnes in.

I'm quite sure all clubs in the heartlands would consider themselves justified to take up a Superleague spot, if only because they've been around since the year dot. But that isn't feasible unless we go back to the old system of one league. So there has to be some distinguishing criteria and if there are heartlands clubs - well followed or not - who don't meet that criteria then they cannot be in Superleague.

Gateshead is still going. I could have sworn I sat watching Saints play them just a couple of months ago.

Return to me in two more years and let's see whether what you say is justified.'"

They have just been re-named

Now known as the North Queensland Thunder icon_wink.gif icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40218.jpg

Quote: Starbug "They have just been re-named

Now known as the North Queensland Thunder You stalking me?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: SaintsFan "You stalking me?'"

Do you want to be stalked ? icon_lol.gif

Just perusing some of the club boards now that things have settled down on the VT and the Celtic boards

The issue with the use of these players is not what has happened in SL this year or wether they should remain in SL next year , the answers to those questions are

Not a lot and yes they should

The issue is that they have had a potential massive effect on clubs in the NL's

They have denied a club promotion to NL 1 in 2007 and they have also denied a NL1 club from qualifying to apply to SL in 2011

Just imagine how the fans of the club finishing 3 rd last year in NL 1 feel at this moment , They would have made the 2007 NL 1 GF which would have allowed them already to be preparing a SL application

The implications of that are huge

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11659.jpg
Phil Bentham scoured the video tape and despite conclusive evidence that Smith was a half yard offside, he allowed the try to stand. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Saints are a big-game team with bags of big-game experience. They have won five Challenge Cups from six final appearances in the Super League era and have won five Grand Finals in that time too. Add two World Club Championships to that and you have the roll-call of the best rugby league team this country has produced in the modern-era - and it's a phenomenal record. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ancient & Royal wrote.... "You are proud to be associated with that dis-organised band of mercenaries? I am ashamed to be a Wigan fan hell yes, what have we got to be un-ashamed about? We are a joke, a laughing stock, we are NOTHING, why cant people understand!":11659.jpg

Quote: SaintsFan "Fine. And maybe Widnes will get in next time around. That doesn't mean to say Celtic Crusaders will or should not be in Superleague. They have two more years at top flight. If they come through this debacle unscathed and if they recruit wisely (they certainly have more time than last time) then if they meet the criteria they shouldn't be ejected from Superleague just to let Widnes in.

Return to me in two more years and let's see whether what you say is justified.'"

Gateshead is a re-formed club, the original Thunder were absorbed by Hull, read your SL history, same as Sheffield with Huddersfield.

Widnes do meet the Criteria, they were denied by their recent financial history and yet Richard Lewis had promised them that it would not go against them. He went back on his word, fact.

Also Celtic were promoted from NL2 to NL1 on false pretenses as they had some of those now deported/banned players in that side that came up in 2007 to play in NL1 in 2008.
In case you didn't know you had to be in NL1 to apply so by definition they should be kicked out the comp as they would not have been in a position in 2008 to even submit a SL licence application, let alone have it accepted. eusa_naughty.gif

78 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint
78 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.02880859375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Todays match v Saints
Fantastic Mr
8m
Shopping list for 2025
weaver93
9m