JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2595.jpg
I'm not Jesus Christ, I've come to accept that now. [quote][b]XBrettKennyX wrote:[/b] Once more the anti SC brigade, purposely or otherwise fail to see the point. Thick as pig swill.[/quote]:2595.jpg

Quote: Cherry.Pie "Prescott has been just as good as Mossop so far this year although they have slightly different playing styles. Mossop has a better work rate but Prescott is harder to bring down and a much better ball player. Prescott is also more important in Wigan's attacking moves and more likely to put players through gaps. I'd take both of them over LMS, Laffranchi, Perry etc.'"

Prescott is three years older and has 40 odd more appearances than Mossop, I'd expect him to be doing better than Mossop had they been of comparable ability. Prescott should be coming into his prime about now, he's not much better than he was when he first broke into your team.

I'd take Mossop, I agree with that, but not Prescott.

RankPostsTeam
International Star484No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Billinge_Lump "Prescott is three years older and has 40 odd more appearances than Mossop, I'd expect him to be doing better than Mossop had they been of comparable ability. '"

not necessarily an excuse but something to consider, i believe prescott was doing a law degree along side playing which he finished at the end of the 2010 season and i personally believe he has become a much more mature player since, but well see what he does this year.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14094
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2595.jpg
I'm not Jesus Christ, I've come to accept that now. [quote][b]XBrettKennyX wrote:[/b] Once more the anti SC brigade, purposely or otherwise fail to see the point. Thick as pig swill.[/quote]:2595.jpg

Quote: Phuzzy "Ah, ok. I see where you're coming from. However to put it purely down to structures is not giving credit where it's due. This is a very good Wigan team. The best I've seen in quite a while. Hence the 2 trophies in as many seasons and currently standing top of the league and one game away from Wembley again. We won at a canter today without even playing to our ability and, as the saying goes, that's always the sign of a good team. Saints time will come again. Of that I have no doubt. But as it stands, your current team couldn't play the gameplan that this Wigan side does. However, as a hypothetical I agree with what you're saying. Maybe you could have put it better though and not been so quick to dismiss what is clearly an important part of the success; i.e. the ability to play to the structures in the first place.'"

I think what he's saying, is that the top three of four teams (I am counting us in this due to last years finishing position icon_wink.gif) players are of a similar standard. Squads are better in some areas than others, but on the day each team can beat the other. However, Wigan's current set up (not much changed from Maguire's in reality, but sometimes the best management is not to change things that are working) gives you that edge. Players are comfortable in their positions and what they are expected to do, plays have been worked on and everyone knows what they are doing. We just look clueless at times.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14094
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2595.jpg

Quote: the wrestler "not necessarily an excuse but something to consider, i believe prescott was doing a law degree along side playing which he finished at the end of the 2010 season and i personally believe he has become a much more mature player since, but well see what he does this year.'"

Fair enough, but I've not seen much in his game to make me think that there's potential there for him to get much better than he is.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29679
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Some amazing bury your head in the sand posts on here. The facts of the matter are James Roby is the best hooker in superleague but he makes your side one dimensional. He isn't one dimensional but the Saints side reliance on him is beyond belief! Wigan are laughing their paps off at the minute knowing if they close him down the game is won.

As for my original post about who'd get in a combined team if I had to name them like I say it's a Wigan 1-7 and in the pack Roby would get a start and Soliola and TP may scrape bench spots but that is literally it.

Things need to change starting with having a player who's miles better then Hohiha in Gaskell starting at 6! If you guys can't use him I'm sure we'd find use for him.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1484
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
14240.jpg
:14240.jpg

Quote: NickyKiss "Some amazing bury your head in the sand posts on here. The facts of the matter are James Roby is the best hooker in superleague but he makes your side one dimensional. He isn't one dimensional but the Saints side reliance on him is beyond belief! Wigan are laughing their paps off at the minute knowing if they close him down the game is won.

As for my original post about who'd get in a combined team if I had to name them like I say it's a Wigan 1-7 and in the pack Roby would get a start and Soliola and TP may scrape bench spots but that is literally it.

Things need to change starting with having a player who's miles better then Hohiha in Gaskell starting at 6! If you guys can't use him I'm sure we'd find use for him.'"

I'm confused! After what you have said above, are you now admitting our 4th choice halfback would get in your squad. icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star2681No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
58216_1342011610.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_58216.jpg

Quote: NickyKiss "Some amazing bury your head in the sand posts on here. The facts of the matter are James Roby is the best hooker in superleague but he makes your side one dimensional. He isn't one dimensional but the Saints side reliance on him is beyond belief! Wigan are laughing their paps off at the minute knowing if they close him down the game is won'"

Well I suppose that is a more logical post than what some have come out with today.

I understand your point, but when a side has been coached into playing to plan A (the ruck area) with no plan B then it will always be their 'comfort zone'. Lesser teams have real problems round the ruck, so when that is exposed we come out of our shell and play some decent rugby. When we come up against quality teams (like Wigan) and we don't find it as easy in that area we panic and sit in that 'comfort zone' as that's all this set of players know. We aren't coached in a way to express ourselves and test the edges, so when plan A fails....we continue on with it.

Rush isn't a full time head coach, so he is not expected to coach us out of this habit, but when Brown comes in we should see a real difference I reckon. I think one of Roby's strengths is his clever and instinctive distribution (something that is rarely picked up on) and that is an area that can be looked at IMO when Brown gets here; he is far from a one trick pony.

The Saints TEAM as a whole is one-dimension; I wouldn't shift all the blame onto James Roby,

RankPostsTeam
International Star1343No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52961_1317652331.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_52961.jpg

Quote: Phuzzy "Is this a serious post? So the side that has comprehensively beaten you on BOTH occassions and outperformed you player for player would have 8 players to the beaten sides 9? Or even 7 to 10?!?! Your pack has been completely dominated on BOTH occassions. Your backs have looked ponderous and your halves clueless. Mate...you've lost the plot! Can I just ask what exactly you're basing these choices on? Stats? Performance from either match? Or shall we just put it down to wishful thinking?'"

To make it simple for you I'll state it [iagain[/i - Our players are underperforming because they have been poorly coached for a long time and our tactics are predictable and one-dimensional. Our players are of a generally higher natural standard and of a greater level of talent than yours. Stick a quality coach in charge of our current squad for a few months and things would be rather different. If roles had been reversed and you'd had Royce instead of Maggie the last couple of years you'd have done well to make top 4 and wouldn't have had a sniff of any trophies. Warrington (by some distance) and Saints/Leeds (rather more marginally) have better squads than you do at the moment, but none of them have done as good a job of sow's ear maximisation as you have the last couple of years. Depressingly.

RankPostsTeam
International Star18No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2012May 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62713_1327274850.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62713.jpg

Quote: Duke Eddington "I'm confused! After what you have said above, are you now admitting our 4th choice halfback would get in your squad.
icon_frustrated.gif He's correctly making the point that Gaskell should be our 1st choice at 6!! Why the coaching team at Saints can't see what everyone else can is beyond me.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3368No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2015Jan 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60495_1398780661.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60495.jpg

Quote: Northampton_Saint "Based on player ability/talent and not current form (which is all you'll be using to judge on naturally but which would be criminally unfair given our respective current coaching situations):

1. Tompkins
2. Richards*
3. Wheeler
4. Carmont*
5. Meli
6. Finch
7. Lomax (not a #7 but would need to be in my team somewhere and Finch would make him 10x more effective there)
8. La Frank
9. Roby
10. TP
11. Soliola
12. Hock
13. O'Loughlin
14. Mossop
15. Clough **
16. Wilkin
17. Hohaia ***

* Both look past their best, especially Richards, so you can have Charnley and Goulding instead if you want. Shenton should probably feature ahead of Goulding on the talent/ability scale, but has been so disappointing for Saints so far that I just can't justify it.

** Clough has admittedly been **** for 2 years but I'm still hopeful he'll reignite with a decent coach.

*** OK, OK I'm joking... Leuluai

I make that a 9-8 Saints win (10-7 if you still hold out any hope of Shenton coming good, 11-6 in the ever increasingly unlikely event that Perry isn't washed up now), no 3 or 4 man holding down and ground-writhing required.

And no McIlorum instead of Roby

hahahahahaha and you called me biased hahahahaha!!!!

wheeler has about the same ability as goulding but goulding is playing miles better.
charnley has been the best winger this season so for you to say meli just shows how much of an idiot your being.
ok lomax's future looks good but he isn't better than a harry sunderland and the only GOOD world cup winning half back playing in superleague tommy.
'la frank' get real mossop is better by the biggest country mile you can find, and its saying something as he has been your best forward all season.
roby allways looks really good against decent teams and allways get bummed up but nobody mentions how he allways plays rubbish against us because he cant find the space and time to scoot.
Tp well this is where we show are depth because take your pick lima and prescott are as good as him and this season both have been better plus he isn't a prop!
not a wigan fan in the world would swap are backrowers showing the last couple of season why hansen is qaulity the best work horse in the league and is solid now

RankPostsTeam
International Star3368No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2015Jan 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60495_1398780661.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60495.jpg

Quote: BackrowSaint "Yeah, that's what I was attempting to say. If other teams had structures that were as good as Wigans but suited to their players then some teams would be an awful lot better. If that makes any sense at all?'"

it does actaully and well done for admitting your not far superior in every way. And i am not trying to writte your team off you do have a very talented backline and when coached right will play some fantastic rugby but player for player RIGHT NOW you aren't as good as wigan and i would argue the same case for most other teams. its hardly a bad thing really its not as if wigan are a terrible team.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2958No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26368_1378623782.jpg
You know I've always been a dreamer:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_26368.jpg

Quote: Tiptop Saint "

I think that although Mike Rush has done a great job with junior development over the years, i don't think he has the nads to drop highly paid overseas players, hope that i am wrong and Gaskell is back in soon.

RankPostsTeam
International Star862No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2021Dec 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Where was Saint's kicking game yesterday? Power play after power play.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6124No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10174_1376908073.png
23 - 20 - 4 Warrington led 16-2 in Saturday's Grand Final, but their joy was short-lived as Wigan roared back to win the Super League title and extend the Wire's 58-year wait to be champions:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10174.png

Quote: Northampton_Saint "To make it simple for you I'll state it [iagain[/i - Our players are underperforming because they have been poorly coached for a long time and our tactics are predictable and one-dimensional. Our players are of a generally higher natural standard and of a greater level of talent than yours. Stick a quality coach in charge of our current squad for a few months and things would be rather different. If roles had been reversed and you'd had Royce instead of Maggie the last couple of years you'd have done well to make top 4 and wouldn't have had a sniff of any trophies. Warrington (by some distance) and Saints/Leeds (rather more marginally) have better squads than you do at the moment, but none of them have done as good a job of sow's ear maximisation as you have the last couple of years. Depressingly.'"

Do you actually believe the that you post on this forum? Being well coached is one thing, having the players to execute it is another.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member825
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: The Eclipse "I think that although Mike Rush has done a great job with junior development over the years, i don't think he has the nads to drop highly paid overseas players, hope that i am wrong and Gaskell is back in soon.'"

we are playing no better now than when Simmons was in charge.Totally clueless in attack.That brief spell after Simmons was sacked lulled us into thinking that Rush could do a decent job-how wrong we were.

173 posts in 13 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint
173 posts in 13 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.35400390625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
2m
Film game
Boss Hog
2m