FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > St. Helens > What's going on with this board?
47 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8991
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47035_1386433761.gif
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47035.gif

This is a thread about the board so if I was a mod, I'd be moving any game comments to their own thread.

It is possible to discuss both.

Personally I think we need to be more grown up about people watching the game or not watching it. I know a relation of mine was a staunch fan and then fell out of love for the game/ club for a good 10-20 years but then grew to love it again.

Peoples tastes and priorities change, as some fans leave others will fill the gap. As is shown by the attendances. Lots of people on several boards have stopped going, but the attendances hold up as new people start going. The key to growth would be to retain more than we loose.

I drifted very slowly away from the club. You miss a few home games, then travelling becomes more of a chore so you miss somemore games. Until actually you realise that it's no longer your top past-time.
I still want the club to do well, I'm still interested in seeing the scores and watching the odd game. But it's not the be all and end all that it once was.
No doubt my interest will ebb and flow, but that is pretty normal.
I'd say I'm a fan rather than a supporter if we want to split definitions.

I don't have the time, the money or the passion to keep saints front and centre. But I'm glad others do.

RankPostsTeam
Administrator21082
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 199925 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8589_1512921015.jpg
[img:rn9g3499]//forums.rlfans.com/images/sigbanner2.png[/img:rn9g3499]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_8589.jpg

Administrator

I think that Saints have lost their way on recruitment and that is showing on the pitch and ultimately, after a few years of not really doing very much (a pretty unlikely GF excepting) the club and this forum have taken it's toll.

Wigan, on the other hand, even with many players our are doing it tough and top of the league, without really doing anything out of the ordinary just passion and sticking to the keep on moving forward mantra.

We need to get that back, and instead of signing anyone we can, be more specific in the needs for the team and the needs for the clib as a whole ie bringing players through and sticking with them.

I think even the supporters meetings have ceased or they have stopped inviting me...... icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1466No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Oct 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9648.jpg
The Aussie Legend!!!:9648.jpg

Quote: bewareshadows "This is a thread about the board so if I was a mod, I'd be moving any game comments to their own thread.

It is possible to discuss both.

Personally I think we need to be more grown up about people watching the game or not watching it. I know a relation of mine was a staunch fan and then fell out of love for the game/ club for a good 10-20 years but then grew to love it again.

Peoples tastes and priorities change, as some fans leave others will fill the gap. As is shown by the attendances. Lots of people on several boards have stopped going, but the attendances hold up as new people start going. The key to growth would be to retain more than we loose.

I drifted very slowly away from the club. You miss a few home games, then travelling becomes more of a chore so you miss somemore games. Until actually you realise that it's no longer your top past-time.
I still want the club to do well, I'm still interested in seeing the scores and watching the odd game. But it's not the be all and end all that it once was.
No doubt my interest will ebb and flow, but that is pretty normal.
I'd say I'm a fan rather than a supporter if we want to split definitions.

I don't have the time, the money or the passion to keep saints front and centre. But I'm glad others do.'"

This sums up my thoughts on Saints at present as well.

For me, moving away from the North West is obviously a problem but I did attend a good number of games to start with three years ago. However the teams poor style of Rugby and the constant bleating of "everything is fine" from the club does not make me want to take time off work, spend hundreds of pounds and travel for hours, to watch the club. In fact the distance feels more like a blessing that I do not have to feel bad about or make excuses for not watching the dull rugby our club produces week in week out.

I am worried that this could apply to a lot more people who are just fed up and this could hurt the club long term.

RankPostsTeam
International Star418
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72483_1397997052.jpg
[b:90hulqic][color=#BF0040:90hulqic]The only reason they look up to you is because they chose to kneel.[/color:90hulqic][/b:90hulqic]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_72483.jpg

Quote: Lebron James "I will be renewing my season ticket regardless because im a fan of the club. Didnt Wigan post record averages the year they nearly went down? Proper fans, unlike our shower who think St Helens have a god given right to win everything including the NRL grand final. RL world cup and Olympic long jump

Regards

King James'"

At least battling relegation would be exciting.

I think a lot of people are falling out of Rugby League lately, and not just Saints fans. Many of my friends (most of whom support Warrington) say the same thing too. I've never really been one to post much on these forums but I used to read them as a daily ritual yet this is the first time I've logged on for months. I think only my 2nd time this season. It's been a fair few years since I've been able to make all the games but I usually at least manage to get to a good 10 or so, whereas this season I've been to just one. Saints being dull af doesn't help, the fact that we've not had anything to play for, for a while doesn't help either, but I honestly think Super League has just gone to crap now. I can't remember the last game I enjoyed watching on Sky. Even then I only watch it whilst in work and never go out of my way to watch it at home. I think the game is just dying a death unfortunately. Not many people seem to care any more.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2768No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23350_1468449137.jpg
[quote="roger daly":1a7cbd66]Oh dear, I believe you would be classed as s[sic] typical Wigan fan[/quote:1a7cbd66] [quote="wrencat1873":1a7cbd66]It's the mighty Wigan, they can do whatever they want.[/quote:1a7cbd66] [quote="Big lads mate":1a7cbd66]you arrogant pot prick[/quote:1a7cbd66] [quote="Tricky2309":1a7cbd66]Look prick do one[/quote:1a7cbd66] [quote="Willzay":1a7cbd66]you cocky pie eating c*nt.[/quote:1a7cbd66]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23350.jpg

Quote: Sadfish "I think that Saints have lost their way on recruitment'"

Is paying off the stadium the reason for this?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman4958No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1649_1338292262.jpg
I have followed the LONDON CLUB since I was in my teensl even though born in St Helens and still live nearby and went to the first game at Fulham, also Big West Ham Supporter:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1649.jpg

Quote: Suzy Banyon "Is paying off the stadium the reason for this?'"

and the Hong Kong loan?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10530
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18919_1341147656.jpg
[quote="King Monkey":30st820n]Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good. At least he'd lose his virginity.[/quote:30st820n]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18919.jpg

Where's Mugwump? icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
Moderator39667
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Charlie Sheen "Where's Mugwump?
He'll be back telling people how wrong they definitely definitely are, when saints win a gf again, like he did last time after being missing for ages

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16963No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44308_1279480467.gif
Mugwump mocking mental illness for a second time - "You are mentally ill and I can't indulge your madness any more" Utter disgusting abusive remark from a keyboard warrior:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44308.gif

Quote: Fantastic Mr Catpiss "He'll be back telling people how wrong they definitely definitely are, when saints win a gf again, like he did last time after being missing for ages'"

He will be telling somebody somewhere that saints have the best pack in world rugby still eusa_liar.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain110No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I do get what some are saying about generally falling out with the game, as a Hull fan of 30 plus years , I've seen great times and some really dark days. It isn't the team I fell out of love with, it is the brand, RL in general. The craft and guile has largely disappeared and you now have wingers who are the size of, if not much bigger, than props used to be. Players like Long, Topliss, Millward,Schofield and Gregory , to name a few, were entertainers, Matty Smith is by some regarded as the best scrum half our English game has and , with all due respect, would not get anywhere near a top team of the previous eras.
This season, despite my having a season pass, I have found better things to do than watch muscle "outmuscle" muscle, and Hull have had a great season , so I think I can sympathise with a lot of opinion on here.
For what it is worth, Saints still have a team in the upper echelons of SL, try years of treading water, under a coach and board that had no other intention than to milk the cashcow that some Clubs can be , through loyal support. It really does suck the life out of fans.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6767No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG
The new young dynasty of super saints is coming to a ground near you. Welsby-Dodd-Simms-Eaves-Rizzelli, not Eastmond...the future is coming.:Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG

Quote: Super Alf Macklin "I do get what some are saying about generally falling out with the game, as a Hull fan of 30 plus years , I've seen great times and some really dark days. It isn't the team I fell out of love with, it is the brand, RL in general. The craft and guile has largely disappeared and you now have wingers who are the size of, if not much bigger, than props used to be. Players like Long, Topliss, Millward,Schofield and Gregory , to name a few, were entertainers, Matty Smith is by some regarded as the best scrum half our English game has and , with all due respect, would not get anywhere near a top team of the previous eras.
This season, despite my having a season pass, I have found better things to do than watch muscle "outmuscle" muscle, and Hull have had a great season , so I think I can sympathise with a lot of opinion on here.
For what it is worth, Saints still have a team in the upper echelons of SL, try years of treading water, under a coach and board that had no other intention than to milk the cashcow that some Clubs can be , through loyal support. It really does suck the life out of fans.'"

Similar thoughts, only watch the odd game on Sky Sports now. The game is far too slow these days, players are coached to slow the game down when defending by wresting to the ground interference at the PTB, penalty kicks to touch, goal line drop outs and scrums take a long time to complete, we also have too much questioning the ref on a lot of occasions. Then we have inconsistent weak refs who quite often change control of the game between the two halfs.
Warrington probably play the game the right way by keeping the game flowing and promoting the ball, whilst other teams its very much 5 drives and a kick to the winger.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain110No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Last night v Wigan is a prime example of why my enthusiasm for RL has gone. Two teams devoid of flair, which is true of nearly all SL teams now.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6767No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG
The new young dynasty of super saints is coming to a ground near you. Welsby-Dodd-Simms-Eaves-Rizzelli, not Eastmond...the future is coming.:Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG

Quote: Super Alf Macklin "Last night v Wigan is a prime example of why my enthusiasm for RL has gone. Two teams devoid of flair, which is true of nearly all SL teams now.'"

Only watched it on SKY for 60 mins, then switched to the Olympics for Team GB in the Ladies Hockey Final which had more excitement. For some reason Superleague teams are struggling with passing and catching skills its seems to be all kick and chase these days

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman4958No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1649_1338292262.jpg
I have followed the LONDON CLUB since I was in my teensl even though born in St Helens and still live nearby and went to the first game at Fulham, also Big West Ham Supporter:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1649.jpg

Quote: Super Alf Macklin "Last night v Wigan is a prime example of why my enthusiasm for RL has gone. Two teams devoid of flair, which is true of nearly all SL teams now.'"

Got to agree, if I am watching a Sky match I often turn over to another channel, for years we called Union kick & clap, now we are no better in fact other than the ruck you can see better tries scored in Union in many games. For too long we have been fed we are the Greatest Sport or Game but that is not completely true. Scrums are a joke, there is so much time wasted, water carriers are on the pitch more than some of the forwards at times,

I don't think many of the match officials help, those men who run up and down the line with a flag how they miss so many incidents is beyond me, I worry if they afraid of getting it wrong? then some referees want to be the best mate of the players, then some want to be the star, get sick of the shouting from them on TV.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4747
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73327_1685730441.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73327.jpg

Quote: SomersetSaint "What you mean a game that we won? Away from home, playing some good open rugby where we were entertaining? Nah don't be stupid. It doesn't sit well with the moaning warts who now frequent this board. They'll be back next time we lose though.'"

Are you the fella with the Saints sticker in his car that I've seen around Trowbridge and Bath a fair bit?

47 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
47 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.103515625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
9m
Rumours thread
Dunkirk Spir
12m