JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2013Mar 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Just been reading the league express and notices Martyn Sadler saying Gaskell was shocking for Rochdale surely he should be standing out at that level or is it a case of him just can't be bothered playing at that level and just happy with whatever he get payed for playing for them

RankPostsTeam
International Star92No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2013May 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The treatment Lee Gaskell is getting at Saints is very poor imo. He should be a starting 6 ahead of Lance Hohaia every day of the week. Gaskell with a big run in the team will only improve and if we are not careful we could lose a potentially very good player.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40218.jpg

Quote: 1984saints "Just been reading the league express and notices Martyn Sadler saying Gaskell was shocking for Rochdale surely he should be standing out at that level or is it a case of him just can't be bothered playing at that level and just happy with whatever he get payed for playing for them'"

You have taken what Sadler said completely out of context there. He suggested that Gaskell, like Richard Owen whose awful performance was on Premier Sports for all to see, was unhappy to be there and that playing for a Championship 1 side was, to those players, like a punishment. He also said that this was a very unwise use of the dual registration system.

And I agree with him wholeheartedly. Gaskell, like Owen, is bound to feel punished. Unlike Owen, Gaskell has played in a first grade grand final. To be unceremoniously stuck in a Championship 1 team when at the outset of the season his coach was saying he had a kicking game like Danny Brough is a terrible way to treat a player, particularly a young player.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8991
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47035_1386433761.gif
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47035.gif

I think of the 3 so far, Biscuit Wheeler is the best of a very average bunch.

Lance, Gaskell and Wheeler have not really put in an effort that would make me think, hmmm we must keep them in at 6.

If he gets another chance he will have to seize it on the day as he can't live off the back end of 2011. He's a pro player now so needs to show up, the next time he is picked.

I would have liked him to get 6 games, but Brown has now seen all 3 at half, at the moment all 3 could lose out to an academy player, a new recruit from another club or even to Wellens.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman8134No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Why is all this going on?
Surely there's no long term future with/for Wilkin at 7?
Gaskell, IMO, is a talented lad who is suffering from a lack of first team rugby.
If he doesn't get selected he may well come to the conclusion his future may be better at another club.
There will be plenty better clubs than Rochdale after his signature, that's for sure.
You never know Wire might be after him. Briers ain't many years left in him. Ratchford isn't good enough at 6 which leaves them with O'Brien and Myler who basically are scrum halves.
The old saying "Use him or lose him" does seem appropriate.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8991
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47035_1386433761.gif
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47035.gif

Quote: Father Ted "Why is all this going on?
Surely there's no long term future with/for Wilkin at 7?
Gaskell, IMO, is a talented lad who is suffering from a lack of first team rugby.
If he doesn't get selected he may well come to the conclusion his future may be better at another club.
There will be plenty better clubs than Rochdale after his signature, that's for sure.
You never know Wire might be after him. Briers ain't many years left in him. Ratchford isn't good enough at 6 which leaves them with O'Brien and Myler who basically are scrum halves.
The old saying "Use him or lose him" does seem appropriate.'"

It all depends who Saints can get, if we can't get anyone then it would be daft to outcast him.

If we get a Brough then Gaskell needs to prove his worth, but we should not assume that Gaskell is the only option,, even if he maybe the best option today.

I think Wilkin will stay as 7 for the rest of the year. So it's up to Gaskell, Lance or Wheeler to put their hand up and grab the 6 shirt, so far I'd say performances mean none of them are nailed on.

If they are not careful Brown could easily go to the academy and throw a 16 - 18 year old in. It would not shock me.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6767No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG
The new young dynasty of super saints is coming to a ground near you. Welsby-Dodd-Simms-Eaves-Rizzelli, not Eastmond...the future is coming.:Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG

If Brown does not play Gaskell in the next 2 games then maybe Brown has arrived at the same conclusion of Rush last year that he is not good enough for first team selection. If Gaskell has seen the Rochdale game as a form of punishment and as a result has performed badly then there would be a question of his temperment and attitude.
Maybe he has mentally already committed himself to another club .

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40218.jpg

Quote: Judder Man "If Gaskell has seen the Rochdale game as a form of punishment and as a result has performed badly then there would be a question of his temperment and attitude.'"

Oh get real. If he has seen it as a punishment maybe that is because he is discouraged and his confidence is shot. It may be nothing whatsoever to do with his temperament or attitude. It could be simply be a response to a truism: he is being discarded. If you are a young bloke who always wanted to play for his local team, and had been chosen as first number six to play in your home team's grand final and then suddenly, without warning, you find yourself cast aside twice, and for a player who isn't even as good as you in your position, it would be a fully human response to feel down about it and to find it difficult to lift yourself to play.

We have just been told about Brett Seymour at Hull FC, another halfback berated by fans and criticised by his coach, etc. He was suffering from depression and tried to kill himself with his car. Care needs to be taken, particularly with young and possibly impresisonable players, because it could be a young man's dreams and hopes that are being destroyed. It must be humiliating for him to have to turn out for Rochdale having once been trusted enough to play in a first grade grand final.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32343
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

The fact that Gaskell has played in a Grand Final is completely irrelevant. Leroy Rivett played in a grand Final and scored four tries in Challenge Cup Final.
I've always thought Gaskell was a decent prospect, but when three or four coaches "don't fancy him" it does make you think.

The only problem I always had with him was that I didn't know what his best position was, even in the academy grades he was always being moved about.

Gaskell has two choices, sulk or go to Rochdale/Whitehaven and play his arris off to show his capabilities. Even if Saint don't want him other clubs will be looking at his character.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg

Don't exaggerate Rogues. Two out of three coaches do not like Gaskell, although how three games including a complete tonking is enough to judge anyone's capabilities is beyond me. Anyway one out of the three coaches (Simmons) kept faith with Gaskell. But then he was brought over in part because he was very good with young players and at the time Saints wanted to do stuff on the cheap.

RankPostsTeam
International Star549No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2013Mar 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

At this moment in time I can't see lee getting a new deal and if he did he probalary wouldn't sign it so it will be interesting to see how he goes if he goes somewhere else next season I got a feeling he just might come back and haunt us for years

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6767No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG
The new young dynasty of super saints is coming to a ground near you. Welsby-Dodd-Simms-Eaves-Rizzelli, not Eastmond...the future is coming.:Dwarfs, Gnomes, Halflings/GNOME2.JPG

Quote: 1984saints "At this moment in time I can't see lee getting a new deal and if he did he probalary wouldn't sign it so it will be interesting to see how he goes if he goes somewhere else next season I got a feeling he just might come back and haunt us for years'"

Well he won't be playing for Rochdale thats for sure, probably end up at Widnes, I seem to remember he had one of his better games there in 2011 I think, kicked the winning conversion from the touchline.

RankPostsTeam
International Star549No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2013Mar 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Judder Man "Well he won't be playing for Rochdale thats for sure, probably end up at Widnes, I remember he had a good game there in 2011 I think.'"

I think he already got an agreement in place for next season be interesting to see where he ends up

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32343
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Quote: SaintsFan "Don't exaggerate Rogues. Two out of three coaches do not like Gaskell, although how three games including a complete tonking is enough to judge anyone's capabilities is beyond me. Anyway one out of the three coaches (Simmons) kept faith with Gaskell. But then he was brought over in part because he was very good with young players and at the time Saints wanted to do stuff on the cheap.'"

But one of those coaches (Rush) had worked with Gaskell from a very early age. He obviously didn't believe that Gaskell was ready for the job, much in the way that Noble and Maguire soon moved Ainscough out of Wigan despite some promising performances.
You have to realise that the coaches work with these players on a day to day basis and base their judgement on many different facets of their performance.
I've nothing against Gaskell at all, but as I've said previously I'm not sure what his best position is. I'd have him at Wigan but it wouldn't be at #6.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2681No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
58216_1342011610.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_58216.jpg

Quote: Rogues Gallery "You have to realise that the coaches work with these players on a day to day basis and base their judgement on many different facets of their performance.'"

That's the point that I was going to make really.

He's had a whole pre-season to look at him and three league games, yet Brown obviosuly feels he isn't good enough, yet or ever. I doubt he would have dropped him otherwise. Wilkin is the best option at #7 currently, and I think the way Brown talked about Lance, he will be the option at #6.

I really doubt Gaskell will be here next season, and tbh if Brown and Rush (I'm sure they would have discussed this, given Rush has brought him through the youth system here) do not think he is worthy of his spot, then we just have to accept that. They know far more about the player in terms of his attitude and talent.

On another point, if he is sulking at Rochdale, or wherever, that isn't gerat. Look at Makinson who scored a hat-trick, that's how you try to get yourself back into the team. From an outside perspective, his attitude isn't great.

212 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint
212 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.16064453125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Decision on the field
JIMMY MAGNET
2m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Rhino at wor
3m