JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52916_1378593744.jpg
A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. - George S. Patton In war, resolution; in defeat, defiance; in victory, magnanimity. - Winston Churchill It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it. - General Douglas MacArthur Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_52916.jpg

Quote: Man of Steel "
Quote: Man of Steel " I'll do a side that I would like to see play Hull.

1. Wellens -
2. Gardner -
3. Wheeler - been in poor form since he came back from injury but it's either him or Shenton.
4. Jones - He has been "having a breather" in the U20's the last few weeks and hasn't been dropped. Time for him to come back into the side.
5. Makinson - if fit
6. Lomax
7. Gaskell - If only for his kicking in general play as without him our kicking game is shocking

8. Perry
9. Roby
10. Laffranchi
11. Soliola
12. Flanagan - if fit
13. Wilkin

14. Dixon
15 LMS
16. Clough
17. Puletua
'"

I can see the logic here as there are wholesale changes that could be made, but making changes across the board could lead to some tragic reults against lesser sides than wigan. This keeps our core stable whilst offering some key attacking changes. other would go further and move lomax, wellens, meli, wilkin but that would cause so much disruption that it would be impossible to see improvements in any one area.

That's why i've not minded too much wheeler and lance getting an extended run, you can't see true form from a few minutes of a match, but a run of 10 matches will give you a better idea of what a player brings to a team across easy games, hard games as a team member and with individual actions.'"

I have already said in this thread that this may be worth a try. Gaskell may better at scrum half and Lomax at Stand-off. Many on here will say Lomax isn't a Stand-off but that has been his position since Under 7's. Not all Stand-offs are ball playing, creative wizards. Leon Pryce wasn't the best creative Stand-off but he ran devastating lines and could make breaks through the middle. Lomax has the same ability to run at defences and make breaks. Gaskells kicking (His one top drawer attribute) would be better used from first receiver before the defence is fully set, and could be devastating for Lomax to run on to.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman27757No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2021May 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34_1430670222.jpg
[url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-n8:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]An Ode to Sepp Blatter[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/s1ImSi-dadbod:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Dadbod[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-mK:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Next In Line To The Throne[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=https://mcclennan.wordpress.com/2014/10/12/st-helens-and-a-fitting-end-to-a-season-of-unsung-heroes/:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]St Helens and a Fitting End to a Season of Unsung Heroes[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=https://twitter.com/cinematicsoul:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Follow my wisdom on Twitter[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh] [url=http://wp.me/p1ImSi-aA:8gr6akfh][b:8gr6akfh]Top 100 films of the 00s - The Top 5[/b:8gr6akfh][/url:8gr6akfh]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34.jpg

This is the best thread of the season so far even thought I don't quite agree with everything. Great thread Man of Steel.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12260
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33934.gif
BLACK AND WHITES East is East,West is West, and never the twain shall meet. -------------------------------- "I" said the sparrow "With my bow and arrow.":33934.gif

Quote: Cory69 "Should be a Cracker as FC will want to bound back from the KR game.'"

I bet Rommel will disagree with you.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14094
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2595.jpg
I'm not Jesus Christ, I've come to accept that now. [quote][b]XBrettKennyX wrote:[/b] Once more the anti SC brigade, purposely or otherwise fail to see the point. Thick as pig swill.[/quote]:2595.jpg

Quote: Top Saint "My point is that I don't think he had a great debut season and the fact he looked ok was because of the low expectations at the club at the time. A lot of other players contributed to last seasons exceptional end result, yet you seem to believe that Gaskell was really the only player who contributed. That is a massive disservice to all the other juniors who played last season. Bottom line is that Gaskell will never make a stand-off with enough quality to be at Saints for years. He is a modern day Mark Bailey, OK untill someone better comes along.'"

Where have I said, or even suggested, that?

Quote: Top Saint "P.S. I think Jamie Foster and Jonny Lomax both had better debut seasons than Gaskell. If you want me to go back further I will have to put my thinking cap on because my memory ain't what it was. Cue the jokes.
I said in a key position, you're comparing wing and utility to stand off as a key position?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member34No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Aug 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: McClennan "This is the best thread of the season so far even thought I don't quite agree with everything. Great thread Man of Steel.'"

Thanks pal. It does seem to have got everyone thinking hasn't it? It's great everyone has sensible opinions and all are valid, as often than not (after me reading these forums for years but never posting) someone derails a thread by silly arguments. icon_cheers.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star1220
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52916_1378593744.jpg
A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. - George S. Patton In war, resolution; in defeat, defiance; in victory, magnanimity. - Winston Churchill It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it. - General Douglas MacArthur Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_52916.jpg

Quote: Billinge_Lump "Where have I said, or even suggested, that?

I said in a key position, you're comparing wing and utility to stand off as a key position?'"

I would think scrum half is a key position. Lomax only played bit parts in all positions in Potters last year so I would consider last season his full debut season same as Gaskell. Lomax winning young player of the year would seem to indicate I'm not the only one who thinks this.

P.S.

Paul Wellens
Kieron Cunningham
Kyle Eastmond
James Roby

That's a few to get started with.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8991
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47035_1386433761.gif
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47035.gif

Quote: Top Saint "I would think scrum half is a key position. Lomax only played bit parts in all positions in Potters last year so I would consider last season his full debut season same as Gaskell. Lomax winning young player of the year would seem to indicate I'm not the only one who thinks this.

P.S.

Paul Wellens
Kieron Cunningham
Kyle Eastmond
James Roby

That's a few to get started with.'"

His debut was in 2009, he made 8 appearances.
2010 he made 18 appearances.

How you can say last year was his full debut when he has been playing 2 season before is a bit of a stretch.
Also this drip drip into the team is exactly the kind of thing a player should get and what Gaskell missed out on.

From memory Cunningham was like gaskell in that he came straight in.

But you can find all the info on the heritage site

www.saints.org.uk/saints.org.uk/ ... page_id=10
Quote: Top Saint "I would think scrum half is a key position. Lomax only played bit parts in all positions in Potters last year so I would consider last season his full debut season same as Gaskell. Lomax winning young player of the year would seem to indicate I'm not the only one who thinks this.

P.S.

Paul Wellens
Kieron Cunningham
Kyle Eastmond
James Roby

His debut was in 2009, he made 8 appearances.
2010 he made 18 appearances.

How you can say last year was his full debut when he has been playing 2 season before is a bit of a stretch.
Also this drip drip into the team is exactly the kind of thing a player should get and what Gaskell missed out on.

From memory Cunningham was like gaskell in that he came straight in.

But you can find all the info on the heritage site

www.saints.org.uk/saints.org.uk/ ... page_id=10

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2595.jpg
I'm not Jesus Christ, I've come to accept that now. [quote][b]XBrettKennyX wrote:[/b] Once more the anti SC brigade, purposely or otherwise fail to see the point. Thick as pig swill.[/quote]:2595.jpg

P.S.

Paul Wellens
Kieron Cunningham
Kyle Eastmond
James Roby

So you'll ignore his actual debut season, and the following one, and the fact that he hardly played scrum half in those years, nice one. Lomax winning young player of the year means nothing in this discussion.

Eastmond's first games were at full back, in Roby's first seasons he was the interchange hooker. Wellens was hardly impressive until he moved to full back.

I'll agree with Cunningham, but note that you have to name a player that debuted over a decade ago and has now retired to find a comparable player. I thought you'd have been able to name loads considering he was so average last year...

RankPostsTeam
International Star1220
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52916_1378593744.jpg

Quote: Billinge_Lump "So you'll ignore his actual debut season, and the following one, and the fact that he hardly played scrum half in those years, nice one. Lomax winning young player of the year means nothing in this discussion.

Eastmond's first games were at full back, in Roby's first seasons he was the interchange hooker. Wellens was hardly impressive until he moved to full back.

I'll agree with Cunningham, but note that you have to name a player that debuted over a decade ago and has now retired to find a comparable player. I thought you'd have been able to name loads considering he was so average last year...'"

I am only comparing their first full seasons because you cannot compare a player playing 8 games away from his natural position to another who débuts, due to circumstance, in his natural position for almost a full season.

I was not ignoring those games, but putting them aside due to giving a bad comparison.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2595.jpg

Quote: Top Saint "I am only comparing their first full seasons because you cannot compare a player playing 8 games away from his natural position to another who débuts, due to circumstance, in his natural position for almost a full season.

I was not ignoring those games, but putting them aside due to giving a bad comparison.'"

But that's the whole point (and half backs making early appearances in other positions is hardly a new phenomenon).

Lomax was in his third season of being in and around the first team last year, that's two extra years of training with the first team, getting used to the pace and intensity of SL compared to the U21s. Gaskell had had a taste with a couple of appearances the year before, but was thrown in at the deep end, and by the end of the season, wasn't looking out of place. He didn't have the luxury of time that Lomax had, yet played more of a role in directing the team than Lomax did (and interestingly scored more tries which surprised me and only had one less try assist in 3 less games).

RankPostsTeam
International Star1220
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52916_1378593744.jpg

Quote: Billinge_Lump "But that's the whole point (and half backs making early appearances in other positions is hardly a new phenomenon).

Lomax was in his third season of being in and around the first team last year, that's two extra years of training with the first team, getting used to the pace and intensity of SL compared to the U21s. Gaskell had had a taste with a couple of appearances the year before, but was thrown in at the deep end, and by the end of the season, wasn't looking out of place. He didn't have the luxury of time that Lomax had, yet played more of a role in directing the team than Lomax did (and interestingly scored more tries which surprised me and only had one less try assist in 3 less games).'"

It's alright to say he was in and around the first team, but he didn't play in the halves. So he was introduced to playing half back at super league level at exactly the same time as Gaskell. This is the reason I believe it is only fair to make the comparison this way. I accept that Lomax had more time around the first team squad to adjust to the pressures of the super league, but he was never expected to control a game at such a young age. By the way I accept that, barring injuries, neither would Gaskell have been either.

My only point on the matter is to compare like with like. Both playing their first full seasons in their current positions ( I say current because Lomax is a stand-off) in which Lomax was considered the better player at the Man of Steel Awards.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2595.jpg

Quote: Top Saint "It's alright to say he was in and around the first team, but he didn't play in the halves. So he was introduced to playing half back at super league level at exactly the same time as Gaskell. This is the reason I believe it is only fair to make the comparison this way. I accept that Lomax had more time around the first team squad to adjust to the pressures of the super league, but he was never expected to control a game at such a young age. By the way I accept that, barring injuries, neither would Gaskell have been either.

My only point on the matter is to compare like with like. Both playing their first full seasons in their current positions ( I say current because Lomax is a stand-off) in which Lomax was considered the better player at the Man of Steel Awards.'"

I don't think you can disregard 12 months more experience of SL in the matter though, the U21s league is so far removed it's like a different game.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1220
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52916_1378593744.jpg

Quote: Billinge_Lump "I don't think you can disregard 12 months more experience of SL in the matter though, the U21s league is so far removed it's like a different game.'"

I don't mean to disregard it but you cannot have any type of fair comparison without levelling the playing field a bit. All my comparisons, with regard to Wellens, Roby and Eastmond, were all given allowing for the players to be in the positions they played in regularly for an extended period. Gaskell was given a chance, due to injury, that very few young players ever receive. I think he did OK but I remain to be convinced of his long term suitability in the stand-off role. He may prove me either right or wrong in the long term. That remains to be seen.

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif
:7.gif

How can you compare an established, fully developed (physically and mentally) player with a rookie who has the body of a kid (and [istill[/i does, BTW)?

Stupid idea.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8991
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47035_1386433761.gif
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47035.gif

I think we are going around in circles a bit. I'm not going to close the thread as everyone has been very civil and kept in line. But in the end Top Saint does not rate Gaskell and no matter how hard you argue with someone, they have their point of view and with Gaskell not likely to get a game this year, there is no way they are going to be able to change their mind as there are no more practical experiences to do this.

I think Gaskell had a storming first season. I understand Lomax getting young player of the year, but peoples eyes are always drawn to those who have that short burst of speed. But who put Lomax into those gaps last year would be my arguement for that and also Jamie Foster was also nominated in those awards last year, so not sure about the process as Foster was starting to drop off in form, from midway through last year.

Anyway, it could be that if Gaskell does come back or go to Wigan he will blow top Saint away, or come back and have a few mares and we will wonder where the magic went. But until he does come back, it's an academic arguement where no one can discuss the merits of his current game, just games from this year and last year.

55 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint
55 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.23974609375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC