JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47035_1386433761.gif
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47035.gif

Quote: St pete "I wouldn't fancy wello as our sub that never comes on. What if we had to put him on in the centre or halfback!'"

There would be no need to have him at half back in my line up, he could do a job at centre but there are option there too, I'm not saying he would be back on the bench every week, just some weeks, it depends on our injury list. The weakest back line where he would be on the bench would be with Meli and Lance injured. even in this line up if you don't want him at centre there are options. If we lost any more backs, then Wellens would slot into FB.

Makinson
Ade
Shenton
Wheeler
Foster
Lomax
Gaskell

if you lose a centre, then Wellens goes to FB.
if you lose a half back, then wellens goes to FB, makinson to centre, Wheeler to half back.

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif
:7.gif

Quote: St pete "I think maybe in the 60s and 70s the scrumhalf organised the defence while playing in the sweeper postion but that's not the case now and no way is lomax at fault for the team not being able to tackle.'"

The scrum-half has pretty much always been heavily involved with marshalling the defence (both Allan Langer and Andrew Johns were excellent defensive organisers). It's true that some are more vociferous than others, and, yes, duties tend to be shared these days between the loose-forward, hooker and sometimes full-back (who has a better view) - but [isomebody[/i must do it.

Conceding 30 odd easy points against modest opposition with a near full-strength side suggests poor organisation, leadership and/or lack of motivation. Not surprising given that Hohaia's hardly had enough time to learn his team-mates' names, Lomax isn't a scrum half and Wilkin - whilst many things - has never possessed the leadership skills of a Scully or a Joynt.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach20628
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44480_1390845286.jpg
It's been fun.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44480.jpg

You could always buy Richie Mathers, by all accounts he never shuts up

RankPostsTeam
International Star6668No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52697_1334270708.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_52697.jpg

Quote: Mugwump "The scrum-half has pretty much always been heavily involved with marshalling the defence (both Allan Langer and Andrew Johns were excellent defensive organisers). It's true that some are more vociferous than others, and, yes, duties tend to be shared these days between the loose-forward, hooker and sometimes full-back (who has a better view) - but [isomebody[/i must do it.

Conceding 30 odd easy points against modest opposition with a near full-strength side suggests poor organisation, leadership and/or lack of motivation. Not surprising given that Hohaia's hardly had enough time to learn his team-mates' names, Lomax isn't a scrum half and Wilkin - whilst many things - has never possessed the leadership skills of a Scully or a Joynt.'"

I have never come across a defence organised by the scrum half in the modern game. The Full Back shouts people into gaps, the Wingers set how compact the line is and the front row and 13 keep the middle channel tight.

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif

Quote: BackrowSaint "I see your point now, but I disagree.

In the modern game the defensive pattern in the Centre of the field is set by the two Props, the Hooker and the Loose Forward. These players occupy the central channel and set themselves within it. Either side of them is where the Second Row defends, these set the pattern of the defensive channel out until the wingers who will then set how compact the defensive line is. The scrum half defends outside the Second Row and often outside the Centre. In the modern day game, the Scrum Half doesn't set the defensive line.'"

This is just nonsense. Tell me, precisely [iwhen[/i did this "modern game" in which the scrum half had zero input to the defence arrive? Three months ago? Allan Langer was regarded as one of the best defensive organisers in the business. Andrew Johns wasn't far behind him. Clearly you must never have seen Sean Long gesticulating wildly at his forwards to shunt left or right.

You're conflating the various tactical defensive set-ups the coach drills into the team (to suit various opponents) with the dynamic calling of plays by [isomeone[/i in lieu of rapidly changing on-the-field events. As any military strategist will tell you - no plan survives first contact. Faced with unfamiliar attacking plays from the opponent a team must adapt or get caned. Given that the coach isn't on the field to make immediate changes one player (usually the scrum half - if the NRL's tactical analyses are anything to go by) has the coach's authority to override any pattern if it is compromised.

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif

Quote: BackrowSaint "I have never come across a defence organised by the scrum half in the modern game. '"

So you never watched Allan Langer or Andrew Johns or Sean Long or Ben Hornby or Chris Sandow? Precisely WHAT do you think those guys are/were shouting about in the time immediately between the ref shouting "hold" and the ptb?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach20628
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44480_1390845286.jpg

Jesting aside, Mathers for all his flaws was a major contributor in our improved defence, I think it's preferential to have your FB calling the shots if you're relying on one guy, but at Wire as most people know Briers does most of the shouting and organising at 6 with a defensive position at centre.
Briers was always a shouter but I'm sure he learned an awful lot from Alfie, I think though it's ideal to have 2, one in the line and the FB to iron out the gaps from behind.

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif

Quote: SaintsFan "Lomax was one of our best defenders yesterday.'"

That's good. But I didn't mention Lomax's individual defence.

Quote: SaintsFan "And he has no problem organising his part of the line - he defends from the centre position. What we needed was a fullback who could organise the defence, and cover it too, but Wello was very poor yesterday.'"

I guess that's your theory. But Wellens' abilities to organise the defence aren't conditional upon his fitness/speed/age. Unless he had laryngitis and [icouldn't speak[/i the team would have received the same level of instruction they did during trophy-winning seasons (perhaps better given his greater experience).

Quote: SaintsFan "While we allowed them too much room overall on the pitch, our goal line defence was particularly poor. But if memory serves most of their tries came from within the sticks area and not where Lomax was defending.'"

That's good. But ...

Quote: SaintsFan "... I didn't mention Lomax's individual defence. '"

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif

Quote: Horatio Yed "Jesting aside, Mathers for all his flaws was a major contributor in our improved defence, I think it's preferential to have your FB calling the shots if you're relying on one guy, but at Wire as most people know Briers does most of the shouting and organising at 6 with a defensive position at centre.
Briers was always a shouter but I'm sure he learned an awful lot from Alfie, I think though it's ideal to have 2, one in the line and the FB to iron out the gaps from behind.'"

I think you're mistaken. The halves make no contribution to the defensive pattern in the modern game.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach20628
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44480_1390845286.jpg

Quote: Mugwump "I think you're mistaken. The halves make no contribution to the defensive pattern in the modern game.'"

icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star6668No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52697_1334270708.jpg

I didn't say they had no contribution, it is each and every plays responsibility to ensure the defensive line is set. However, you was saying it was mainly Lomax's role which is nonsense.

If anything the Full Back has a far greater responsibility than the scrum half so aim your suggestions at Paul Wellens, after all he's in the optimum position to see everything going on.

Yes Lomax has a responsibility to ensure the line around him is set, but it's not his responsibility to set the entire line. Each individual player must be held accountable for being able to know where they need to be. The scrum half defends in wider channels than they used to, they physically can't organise the entire line, it's impossible doing that from the centre position.

RankPostsTeam
International Star6668No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52697_1334270708.jpg

And I know East Hull is a bit rough, but these aren't 'military strategists' they are Rugby League players.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1432No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2013Aug 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Conceding 36 points against a team without recognisd halfbacks should probably ring a few alarm bells.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5852
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Ahh Tesco Building St Helens & Warrington's future Destroying Wigans past "Viva Ben Flower, Viva Ben Flower, could have won the cup but you Messed it up Viva Ben Flower":

Quote: Wilbred T Pricklepop "Conceding 36 points against a team without recognisd halfbacks should probably ring a few alarm bells.'"

Correct
Royce has got his work cut out with his defence in the next 6 games: I would only be confident against Bradford at this stage.
Catalan
Huddesfield
Hull
Bulls
Leeds
Wire

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif

Quote: BackrowSaint "I didn't say they had no contribution, it is each and every plays responsibility to ensure the defensive line is set. However, you was saying it was mainly Lomax's role which is nonsense.'"

You saidI have never come across a defence organised by the scrum half in the modern game.'"

You still haven't explained why Langer, Johns, Sandow, Hornby etc. are often described as (outstanding) organisers of the defence in the NRL. If your theory is true and the burden is shared equally then why is it these players are singled out with the label whilst centres, wingers, stand-offs are not.

Quote: BackrowSaint "If anything the Full Back has a far greater responsibility than the scrum half so aim your suggestions at Paul Wellens, after all he's in the optimum position to see everything going on. '"

The fullback has an excellent view, but only in one plane of direction. Just like the fans stuck behind the sticks he has zero perception perpendicular to that plane. Which is why one player (usually the scrum half - but not always) must assume that role.

Quote: BackrowSaint "Yes Lomax has a responsibility to ensure the line around him is set, but it's not his responsibility to set the entire line. Each individual player must be held accountable for being able to know where they need to be. The scrum half defends in wider channels than they used to, they physically can't organise the entire line, it's impossible doing that from the centre position.'"

Who said anything about organising the ENTIRE defence? I can't understand why you think it's impossible for a player to be anything other than responsible for [ihis part[/i of the defence or [iall[/i of it. There's nothing whatsoever in between.

197 posts in 14 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint
197 posts in 14 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.05029296875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
2m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
4m