JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13011.gif
[color=red:17c7k77w][size=200:17c7k77w][b:17c7k77w]I READ THE AUP BUT PREFERRED THE MOVIE[/b:17c7k77w][/size:17c7k77w][/color:17c7k77w]:13011.gif

We have a secure Super League future thanks to the work of our Chairman, quite rightly that has been the priority.

We've managed to remain at the higher end of competitiveness, with still hope of silverware this year. I'd also hoped for a star studded line up to take to the new stadium next year, but again the re-signing of Roby and TP are as important and high profile as any new recruit. Our two additions are quality players and if Perry does a Soliola, it'll be like a third top drawer signing. I'm still not convinced we're finished with the 'ins' either.

The future is bright, and top flight, and that's what really matters.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12189No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34133_1401485799.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34133.png

Quote: Cragganmore Kid "We have a secure Super League future thanks to the work of our Chairman, quite rightly that has been the priority.

We've managed to remain at the higher end of competitiveness, with still hope of silverware this year. I'd also hoped for a star studded line up to take to the new stadium next year, but again the re-signing of Roby and TP are as important and high profile as any new recruit. Our two additions are quality players and if Perry does a Soliola, it'll be like a third top drawer signing. I'm still not convinced we're finished with the 'ins' either.

The future is bright, and top flight, and that's what really matters.'"

agree with all of this

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach219No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2015Mar 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30948.jpg
:30948.jpg

Quote: St pete "It don't matter what backing Warrington have, they still have a salary cap to stay under. We could have bill gates running saints but still can only spend to the cap.

No matter how you try and dress it up, it's obvious saints are trying to do it on the cheap.'"

The thing people forget about warringtons salary cap is the players that do get overlooked nowadays, such as Jon Clarke, who was playing for England just 2 years ago are still going to be on good contracts. Clubs cant just lower a players wages just because he is not being used on a regular basis, people go on about the players warrington bring in and why are they not over, but the players leaving were signed arnt going to be on small contracts.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1639No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2015Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: bewareshadows "Man for man

1 Brett Hodgson
Paul Wellens (I reckon these 2 are on comparable money especially with the discount for Wellens)
2 Chris Riley
Gardner (Genuinly no idea who would be on more)
3 Matt King
Shenton (Surely king on more but shenton will not be on peanuts)
4 Chris Bridge
Soliola (Soliola on more)
5 Joel Monaghan
Meli (don't know as Joel was desperate for a move at the time)
6 Lee Briers
Pryce (I'dsay pryce, but Briers will have the discount for the club)
7 Richard Myler
Eastmond (about equal i'd say)
8 Adrian Morley
Perry (not sure but perry would not be cheap)
9 Michael Monaghan
Roby (I think Roby would be on more given the new deal)
10 Garreth Carvell
Graham (Graham on more by far)
11 Louis Anderson
Puletua (TP on more than Anderson)
12 Ben Westwood
Wilkin (not sure, but Wilkin will have a fair chunk)
13 Ben Harrison
Flannery (no idea who would be on more)
14 Mick Higham
Scott Moore ( I imagine higham will be on more, but who knows)
15 Jon Clarke
LMS (probably LMS on more)
16 Paul Wood
CLough (wood I would imagine gets more)
17 Simon Grix
Wheeler (grix maybe?)

Our squad goes to 29, on this site, Warrington only 27.

So when you look at the first 17 of each club I fail to see where we are going cheap. When you look at the rest of the squads, there are mostly youth players apart from Warrington having solimona at 26.

To put it simply though our first 17 are not playing for any length of time as a team. Gardner out for long period this year, as have been or are Pryce, Eastmond, Perry, Flannery, Moore, Clough, Wheeler.'"

icon_iamwithstupid.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: howley-wire "

icon_iamwithstupid.gif

I thought bewareshadows had looked at things subjectively to examine whether in truth Warrington are likely to be paying more in salaries than Saints.

The only thing I'd pick him/her up on is Riley will be on pea-nuts compared to Gardener and he has ignored Ryan Atkins (no 23) from the Warrington squad, beyond that I think if anything he was being generous towards Warrington.

I'd suggest you have proved yourself to be the stupid one by not being able to understand the point being made.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner29212No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6310_1310045241.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6310.jpg

Quote: Paul Youane "

I think it's safe to say the point he's making is a load of rubbish. I could list Melbourne cap-busting squad from last year and say all the Gateshead players were on more. Matt King is on £750,000 a year, everyone knows that.

What interests me is that Warrington were ones of the clubs mentioned about a year ago in relation to them being in massive trouble with HMRC over the image rights issues. There was talk of a £2m liability. That just seemed to disappear into smoke, what happened there? I remember there was talk in the press of several SL clubs being in trouble and one or two potentially facing closure over it. Has this been sorted?

It's still possible some clubs are using different methods to pay their players than other clubs. If Saints are paying anywhere near the cap on our ensemble of children and the odd decent player then we're managing the cap horrifically compared to the likes of Wire, Wigan and the Giants. Entirely possible I suppose but we'll never know. The cap is run by the RFL. The clubs could drive a bus through the loopholes and the auditors no doubt. I've always been banging on about it, but third party payments are impossible to find and I'll bet they don't even try to look for breaches of cap rules, preferring the lack of bad publicity their ignorance brings.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Saddened! "What interests me is that Warrington were ones of the clubs mentioned about a year ago in relation to them being in massive trouble with HMRC over the image rights issues. '"

Only on other club's forums from the like of yourself.

The only time I remember Warrington being linked to this was when Gatcliffe had a press reports issued saying that the club were in the clear on this issue.

Amazingly on this point Wigan fans seem to claim the moral high-ground of Wigan not being involved yet their own auditors would not pass Wigan's accounts the other year unless they were allowed to add their own statement to the effect that the club were looking at a possible liability not reported in the accounts due to an on-going investigation by HMRC relating to image right payments.

Here's one to think about - despite bewareshadows not being able to split them I reckon that Gardener will be on 4 times the salary of Riley. A lot of it comes down to value for money.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner29212No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6310_1310045241.jpg

Quote: Paul Youane "Only on other club's forums from the like of yourself.

The only time I remember Warrington being linked to this was when Gatcliffe had a press reports issued saying that the club were in the clear on this issue.

Amazingly on this point Wigan fans seem to claim the moral high-ground of Wigan not being involved yet their own auditors would not pass Wigan's accounts the other year unless they were allowed to add their own statement to the effect that the club were looking at a possible liability not reported in the accounts due to an on-going investigation by HMRC relating to image right payments.

Here's one to think about - despite bewareshadows not being able to split them I reckon that Gardener will be on 4 times the salary of Riley. A lot of it comes down to value for money.'"

So the image rights issue was never an issue then? And all the talk of £2m liabilities for SL clubs isn't true? I remember reading a couple of months ago about image rights in an article about the football financial fair play regulations and it mentioned the issue was going to rip the RL salary cap apart.

Has the payment whilst on the plane loophole been closed now as well?

Personally I'd give £10,000 to see the salary cap calculations for each team. Just to know what we're doing with our's firstly. How Warrington use their's would also be fascinating. You always seem to match senior players in with out, yet are still able to renew youth players contracts. Something we seem to not have room to do. We've shedded twice as many senior players over recent seasons, so perhaps we're just massively overpaying our youth players, but that doesn't explain why we don't ever pick any up from other SL clubs.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Saddened! "So the image rights issue was never an issue then? And all the talk of £2m liabilities for SL clubs isn't true? I remember reading a couple of months ago about image rights in an article about the football financial fair play regulations and it mentioned the issue was going to rip the RL salary cap apart.

Has the payment whilst on the plane loophole been closed now as well?

Personally I'd give £10,000 to see the salary cap calculations for each team. Just to know what we're doing with our's firstly. How Warrington use their's would also be fascinating. You always seem to match senior players in with out, yet are still able to renew youth players contracts. Something we seem to not have room to do. We've shedded twice as many senior players over recent seasons, so perhaps we're just massively overpaying our youth players, but that doesn't explain why we don't ever pick any up from other SL clubs.'"

I thought it was Leeds that had the massive potential liability and were the test case (which they will win and rugby league clubs will be cut the same deal as union clubs). I reckon Saints were also one of the big users of the loophole - remember the Sonny Bill contract offer that was leaked (it was on an internet forum so must be true) and are having to cut back on its use now hence the apparent in-balance of players in against players out.

Warrington also use transfer fees to secure players who are under contract and therefore as nobody can match us on transfer fees we negotiate with players over contracts with no other parties to be played-off against. I bet Saints are paying whay over the odds salary wise for Shenton and McCarthy Scarsbrook due to their Bosman status when negotiating; Myler, Atkins, Carvell, Bridge, Westwood and Grix were all signed with over a year left on their deals at their current clubs and wanted out. Cashed-up Warrington offered an exit, with pay-rise but not top dollar as a bonus.

Warrington also award long contracts, 4 years being the norm for good players, and then look to re-negotiate to extend well before the end of the contract before any other club is sniffing around whispering into agents' ears. Players are happy for the security that a long deal gives and if things crop up and things need to change, well ask Chris Hicks about that.

I know Saints fans like to praise the savy business skills of McManus (what happened to the other billionaires d040.gif who supposedly joined Saints board - I hope their not waiting on the new stadium to cash-in on their investment) and no doubt he is a grade A* banker but I don't think he has the entruepernal(sp) vision of Simon Moran at Warrington and the savvy of how to get the best from dealing with "prima-donnas".

Too straight-laced bankers and not known for taking risky decisions.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2622
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45934_1538869507.jpg
[quote="Lebron James":37zhy5zz] [b:37zhy5zz]Saints by 32 Regards King James[/b:37zhy5zz] [/quote:37zhy5zz]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45934.jpg

Things change from maurice lindsey in the late 80's to early 90's and then to mcmanaus and the chap at leeds who ever since iv'e watched rl has tried to
buy leeds the title, even signing doug laughton and ellery hanley to no effect. saints have always had good backing and a strong foot in the transfer
market especially in the sl era. if you look at the sides saints have had over the sl period then you also could question the money they were on.
yes there was some home bred players, but those players matured into world class players and i'm sure kc wouldn't be happy on a
'how you doing thatto heath' salary when bought in players would have been on much more.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner29212No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6310_1310045241.jpg

Quote: Gazwire "Things change from maurice lindsey in the late 80's to early 90's and then to mcmanaus and the chap at leeds who ever since iv'e watched rl has tried to
buy leeds the title, even signing doug laughton and ellery hanley to no effect. saints have always had good backing and a strong foot in the transfer
market especially in the sl era. if you look at the sides saints have had over the sl period then you also could question the money they were on.
yes there was some home bred players, but those players matured into world class players and i'm sure kc wouldn't be happy on a
'how you doing thatto heath' salary when bought in players would have been on much more.'"

Yeah, obviously the performance warps the perception of things. If Warrington dropped to third or fourth next season no one would be questioning their cap spend.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2622
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45934_1538869507.jpg
[quote="Lebron James":37zhy5zz] [b:37zhy5zz]Saints by 32 Regards King James[/b:37zhy5zz] [/quote:37zhy5zz]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45934.jpg

?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner29212No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6310_1310045241.jpg

Quote: Gazwire "?'"

You made the point about Saints of old (When we were good) seeming to have a squad too good to be under the cap. That was because they were always top and winning trophies.

Warrington are doing similar now, because they are well coached and performing well. But, if they had a bad season and dropped down a few positions people wouldn't allege they were cheating the cap. Performance on the field warps how people see the cap issue.

If Wire were top after 20 games of next season and unbeaten, everyone would be moaning about them being over the cap. If they weren't doing so well, had a few injuries and were running third or fourth, people wouldn't be saying their over the cap.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner4245
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8083.jpg
[b:1in27wd6][color=#4040FF:1in27wd6][size=100:1in27wd6]top flight since 1895[/size:1in27wd6][/color:1in27wd6][/b:1in27wd6]:8083.jpg

Quote: Saddened! "You made the point about Saints of old (When we were good) seeming to have a squad too good to be under the cap. That was because they were always top and winning trophies.

Warrington are doing similar now, because they are well coached and performing well. But, if they had a bad season and dropped down a few positions people wouldn't allege they were cheating the cap. Performance on the field warps how people see the cap issue.

If Wire were top after 20 games of next season and unbeaten, everyone would be moaning about them being over the cap. If they weren't doing so well, had a few injuries and were running third or fourth, people wouldn't be saying their over the cap.'"

agree with this.

The same applies to Referees and the RFL...a team performs well and fans from other clubs think the refs are in their back pocket along with the RFL.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2622
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45934_1538869507.jpg

fair play. i know what your saying.

167 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint
167 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Billinge_Lump , Saint Simon , BackrowSaint

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.763671875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Uncle Rico
7m
Fev H Play Off
Highlander
10m
Championship Awards
JamieRobinso
10m
Squad for HKR
St Helens Wo
21m
Film game
Boss Hog
23m
Play-off semi-final
WT_Midlander
37m
Betting 2024
karetaker
37m
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
FoxyRhino
54m
Rumours thread
Kettykat
59m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Offy86
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
34s
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Deeeekos
36s
Play-off semi-final
WT_Midlander
39s
Uncle Rico
41s
Film game
Boss Hog
52s
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
Fantastic Mr
1m
Planning for next season
Jack Gaskell
1m
2025 membership/renewals
BP1
1m
Seth Nikotemo
Trojan Horse
1m
Leigh it is
moto748
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Championship Awards
JamieRobinso
TODAY
Season tickets
Tony Fax
TODAY
Best Semi
Wires71
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Deeeekos
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
St Helens Wo
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
leeds owl
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Highlander
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
WT_Midlander
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Uncle Rico
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
BP1
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M +13,325 ↑29680,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22